mtbr member
    Apr 2012

Trails with relentless goatheads, non-ending flats, what do you use?

i usually ride tubless, but by the end of some long rides i have tubes in due to flats. some trails especially in the southwest have trails of just miles and miles of goatheads.

i have had more goatheads than black tire showing. what do you do to not flat? what works best.

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by ascarlarkinyar View Post
    i usually ride tubless, but by the end of some long rides i have tubes in due to flats. some trails especially in the southwest have trails of just miles and miles of goatheads.

i have had more goatheads than black tire showing. what do you do to not flat? what works best.
    Also living in the southwest and those goat heads can really do quite a bit of damage. Normally drop in about 4 times the stans recommended in each tire. When out riding in the back country don't really care about the added weight if I have the option of riding out over walking.

mtbr member
    Here in NM, those goatheads are a Huge prob. I use the thicker "gooed" intertubes and liners. Goo will dry out in a few months and the liners help but it can be an issue. Yes I pull them out when I can. As stated, adding lots of Stans will help. Moreover, there are tires that can help but they are also heaver. Your LBS can show you these tires.

Mark
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    This time of year I can pickup 50+ goatheads in one ride.
    Standard thickness slime tube with 2 fluid oz of yard tractor slime added.
    You can get this thicker slime at any autoparts store for a bottle that will do 8
    tires it's ~ 10 bucks. Every Spring I replace all my tubes.
    good luck.
    Last edited by SingleTrackLovr; 11-30-2012 at 07:23 AM.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Interesting. I live in Moab, and in town you will easily pick up goatheads in gravel areas, disturbed lots and along curbs. But on the trails nobody I know have ever had a problem.

Goatheads are an invasive exotic and, like all weeds, will flourish in areas of human impact where large portions of the ground is stripped of native vegetation. The maze of old jeep roads and all the newer trails from recent years we all ride on has thankfully not experienced the goathead invasion.

mtbr member
    I use 2oz of Stan's in each tube. I originally tried some "thorn-proof" tubes, and they do work, but the tube weighs more than the tire and it's a pita to get the tire on/off the rim. Also tried some high end (kevlar?) tire liners, but the sharp edge of the liner was actually abrading and puncturing the tube.

Stan's is the best solution so far.

fog
    mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    I just add more Stans and keep it fresh. It works for me.

One hard lesson, I did not remove the goatheads and burped a tire without enough Stans (I did not refresh it) and put in a tube, which went flat as I pumped it up. Luckly I was only a couple of miles from the car.

Removing the old goatheads would have kept me riding.

Wayne

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Back in my BMX days, I would cut open a thicker thorn resistant tube and insert another Thorne resistant tube. This really help reduce flats. So that's all I can really come up with, that and a sealant like slime or Stan.

dirtbag
    Perhaps airless tires,

I have no experience with these but if your goathead problem is extreme, they might be the ticket.
    Amolan

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Holycow ranier I've never seen those before thanks for posting your idea I'd try a set but wouldn't want to ride them in the mud. haha

Wouldn't that be something if a tubeless design was the future of mtn bike tires.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I believe the plan is to develop the ERW tires without the holes as well. This is just a prototype and it is not commercially available. Apparently you will also be able to adjust the "pressure" as well. I, too, would be excited to give these a try.

Yes, NM and goatheads are not a happy combination at this time of year. And yes, I am usually fine when out on a trail somewhere. But in the developed areas, they are terrible! I am in the midst of switching over to Stans in my tubes as the goo wasn't doing the job, nor the slime. Unfortunately, I just bought some tubes that do not have removable valve cores, which I did not realize until I was ready to fill them up! Grrr. So I need to fork out yet more tube money. Sigh.

Ultimately my plan is to go tubeless, but that's a little pricey, so its still out on the horizon.

mtbr member
    Stan's tubeless is the only option for surviving goatheads.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wahday View Post
    I believe the plan is to develop the ERW tires without the holes as well. This is just a prototype and it is not commercially available. Apparently you will also be able to adjust the "pressure" as well. I, too, would be excited to give these a try.

Yes, NM and goatheads are not a happy combination at this time of year. And yes, I am usually fine when out on a trail somewhere. But in the developed areas, they are terrible! I am in the midst of switching over to Stans in my tubes as the goo wasn't doing the job, nor the slime. Unfortunately, I just bought some tubes that do not have removable valve cores, which I did not realize until I was ready to fill them up! Grrr. So I need to fork out yet more tube money. Sigh.

Ultimately my plan is to go tubeless, but that's a little pricey, so its still out on the horizon.
    You can remove the little knurled "nut" on a presta valve tube, turn it all the way off, up and over the mushroomed end that normally keeps it on. Tie a length of dental floss around the valve stem and push it right on into the tube. Add sealant. Fish it back out when you're done, then replace the knurled nut.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by venturi95 View Post
    You can remove the little knurled "nut" on a presta valve tube, turn it all the way off, up and over the mushroomed end that normally keeps it on. Tie a length of dental floss around the valve stem and push it right on into the tube. Add sealant. Fish it back out when you're done, then replace the knurled nut.
    I tried this actually. The problems I ran into was getting the Stan's sealant into the tube and then ungumming the valve afterwards. I could only get so much into the tube as the pin seemed to make for not much room for it to pass (maybe there is an adapter that fits snug around the presta casing so you can squeeze it in with more pressure?). Then when I fished the pin back out and reattached the nut, the valve was so gunked I couldn't get any air into the tube.

Clearly I am not doing something right. If you have any additional details/suggestions, I'm all for it! I'm already pissed at myself for not getting removable valve cores to begin with...

Thanks.

Genius
    I ride in NM also. Like others have already said, I quadruple what stans recommends and put in a ton of that stuff. PLUS I add whats probably an equivalent of 1/2 cup of glitter to each tire.

Toss the presta and cut a new valve off a schraeder tube and go tubeless.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

dirtbag
    Y'all need presta valve stems with removable cores. Then get the Stans syringe that screws onto the stem, inject the Stans sealant. Mo betta than fishing or a schraeder valve.
    Amolan

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    .... PLUS I add whats probably an equivalent of 1/2 cup of glitter to each tire...
    Glitter? Never heard this before, do tell....
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Genius
    Not much more to tell, visit the art or school supply section of any store and buy some standard glitter. For tubeless put it into the tire before mounting or if already mounted mix it with some stans and inject it through the valve into the tire. I suppose you could do that with tubes as well although I never have. The glitter helps seal any punctures faster, especially big ones, and thus minimizes the loss of stans spraying into your face/air while riding or stopped.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Stans. Just double up on the suggested volume. I have the same issue here and I am happy with that.

Amazon.com: Stans-No Tubes Tire Sealant (Quart): Sports & Outdoors

hispanic mechanic
    Here in Boise we have a plethora of goatheads as well.
    I've found that Orange Seal works better than Stan's, and doesn't dry out nearly as quickly.http://orangesealcycling.com/

Los
    "Shut up body and do what I tell you."
    Jens Voight

http://teamjva.com/jens-voigt-soundboard/

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Just to report back, I finally got tubes with removable valve cores. My life is so much better as the Stan's was a breeze to inject (only put in the recommended volume so far, but no problems this past weekend with a considerable amount of goatheads). I don't recommend dealing with unscrewing the nut, keeping the pin in there, and all that crappola. If its all you have to contend with in the field, by all means, but otherwise, don't be an idiot like me and make sure you are getting removable valve cores.

Most Delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by venturi95 View Post
    I used to do this - removing the mushroomed end from the valve with a file makes it easier to take the nut off, but the last time I tried it I couldn't get the valve to drop out of the valve stem. There was some sort of stop at the other end.

With old tubes, I now just cut a teeny hole in the tube, pop in the slime bottle, then clean surface of the tube with solvent before patching it. Often I'll use an existing goathead hole as an excuse to convert the tube.

But yes, if I was starting from scratch I'd just get removable stems - way easier.
    Last edited by dr.welby; 01-09-2013 at 02:54 PM.