Thread: Tracking app

mtbr member
    Nov 2007

Tracking app

Is there an android app that would allow my spouse to track my progress/whereabouts while I am in the backcountry?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Here you go: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ndroid.c&hl=en

However when I go out for a ride, the last thing I want to do is to be tracked!

A guy on a bike Moderator
    If you are truly in the back-country, away from cell phone towers, you have two options:
    InReach
    SPOT SATELLITE MESSENGER :: HOME PAGE

If you are within cell range, there are zillions of apps that will do this for you. Latitude us free from Google, to name one.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Thanx for the info.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    I have the Spot Messenger 2 which I used on my recent Chasing the Dirt tour. Found it worked very well with the exception of one day. However I also found the Garmin Edge 800 didn't track properly that day either so suspect it was a satellite problem, not a Spot Messenger 2 problem. I used it in-conjunction with the SpotWalla - Home website. If I was in the market today and based on my experience I would now go with a Spot Connect so I had the ability to text when in the remote areas. Having the communication channel, even through it is one way is important to me.

Andrew

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    There's a Garmin GTU10 unit that works pretty well in the USA. It's on AT&T's data network, and while people think AT&T has pretty bad coverage (this is true) their data coverage is actually pretty good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    There's a Garmin GTU10 unit that works pretty well in the USA. It's on AT&T's data network, and while people think AT&T has pretty bad coverage (this is true) their data coverage is actually pretty good.
    Does AT&T provide different networks for voice and data? If not then I would have thought this unit would not work if there is no coverage.

Andrew

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by Aushiker View Post
    Does AT&T provide different networks for voice and data? If not then I would have thought this unit would not work if there is no coverage.

Andrew
    It's not quite as simple as "different networks", but in theory what you say is right - if there is no coverage, you won't be able to transmit your location to the service. Provided it's just GPRS/Edge, partnerships between the mobile operators can provide additional coverage as part of a mutual agreement between MO's. Australia's transmission is a little different since Telstra owns all the infrastructure and just rents it to Optus/Vodaphone/3.

Data has one major advantage over voice - voice requires a somewhat constant connection when making calls (which is why sometimes it will show 1 or 2 bars, but as soon as you make a call it drops out), whereas data packets being transmitted with a "best effort" approach can take advantage of less stable connections, e.g. device ID + LatLong transmitted using UDP.

My understanding of the Garmin system is that it uses that approach with very small data packets to enable best chance of success, even though it's unreliable. AT&T's coverage is quite good, but it's no SPOT device. However it is much cheaper per year than a SPOT subscription at only $50 a year vs. $144 IIRC. Overall, it should work for most places you go, even if you aren't able to make a call.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Google latitude - and it's free

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pedalnorth.com View Post
    Google latitude - and it's free
    Alas, that won't work in the backcountry, away from cell towers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Iphone app store seems to have tons of goodies.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Redweb have a tracking saddle that works on satellites. You could try that.

Rob

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Sounds like a satellite based tracker like the redweb saddle based tracker is what you need. She can then log on online and follow your progress.

Rob

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    try this device. It will allow anyone logged on to track your bike via satellite

Rob

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    try this device. It will allow anyone logged on to track your bike via satellite Bike Trackers | Red Web Technologies

Rob

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by roguehoe View Post
    Is there an android app that would allow my spouse to track my progress/whereabouts while I am in the backcountry?
    Was this something you really wanted to know or are you trolling for backcountry.com?

Kind of shady IMO, I clicked on your link thinking it would show where "back country" is, instead I'm directed to a retail business.