mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Tire recommendations wanted

I'm thinking this might be the best place to ask this, given the mixed terrain nature of this type of riding.

I just recently picked up an old 90's MTB and I plan to purchase a Surly Troll frameset to build up as my all-rounder. I'm currently running 55mm Big Apples on the old MTB and love them for pavement and even dry, hard packed dirt. However, I want to play in the dirt be able to ride on all but the most technical single-track.

I've done a lot of experimenting and riding and have chosen 26" over 29'er wheels and I like high volume, cushy tires, up to the limits of my tire clearance (supposedly 2.7" on the Troll).

I don't care for the idea of swapping tires all the time so I'm looking for recommendations for a 26" tire that will see a whole lot of pavement but also a fair amount of dirt, including single-track.

I've done a lot of reading and looked at a lot of manufacturer's tires but would be interested in hearing from people who have literally ridden their bikes on all surfaces.

I'm a big believer that the tires make the bike and the ride so I'll consider all price ranges.

My goal is to start hauling my bike on vacations and doing short expedition type rides but most of my rides will be around our subdivision where there is a lot of construction going on and lots of roughly graded dirt to ride on.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2013
    I think you should take a look at ardent 2.4s.