Moderator Moderator

Thoughts from my 2012 10 day VT Tour

I posted some of my trip info/pix with my commuter and regional cohorts here:How was your commute today? (#7364) and here: Bike Camping & Singletrack Sampling VT Tour
    so I thought that here I would cover some ideas, etc....

If you use a freeload rack in the rain, the webbing may stretch enough to allow the rack to slide down the seatstays and hit the tire. An easy fix, flip bike upside down, push rack back up, tighten web ratchets another turn or two. You could also soak the webbing before install to pre-stretch it.

If you're carrying stuff around you're not going to use anymore, and you're near civilization, ship it home. After 6 nights I had only used my tent once (lean-to's available), so I shipped it home, along with some smaller stuff like socks I'd already worn 3-4 days, resulting in significant weight savings and handling improvement for the remaining 3 days. Of course I got lucky on the last night, when I had only a tentsite, but no tent, tarp, etc. Slept under the stars and half-moon for one of the best nights of the trip.

A compact gizmo from Radioshak kept my GPS, phone, and ipod (audiobook addict in camp) running for 10 days on AA's. I used the pricey lithium ones. It has ipod, mini, and micro usb connectors, just make sure the housings allow it to mesh with your devices without cables. Could've done the camera too, but I had brought a spare charged battery for that.

If you need to repair plastic, Loctite Super Glue Ultra Gel resists weather, impact, shock and vibration, just like the package says. I glued a rack sideframe after crashing and breaking it last year - and it lasted the whole trip!

I slept better with a small/light fleece pillow than I did without it. A worthwhile luxury for me, stuffed in the drybag with the sleeping bag.

I enjoyed staying at least 2 nights at each campsite, reducing camp breaking/pitching/packing chores, and allowing me to do unloaded trailrides on the 2nd(+) day.

Rain happens! If you can't find a little adventure in a little adversity, then you'd better stay home! And any shelter looks great for a lunch spot. This is "Rat's" motorcycle shop, my haven on day 3.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Thoughts from my 2012 10 day VT Tour-p9302299-640x480-.jpg  

Thoughts from my 2012 10 day VT Tour-p9302301-480x640-.jpg