Hell Track

Tents 1 person ?

Doing a lot of backpacking over the last couple years and I need to start to lighten up my kit. I'm looking for a good value 1 man tent. I'd like to not go over 3.5 lbs and a good vestibule is important . $200 or under would be nice.
    I was looking at Six Moon Designs but it seems that all their tents require trekking pole for set up. This is ok but I may want to do some bikepacking in the future.
    Any recommendations?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    REI 1 man quarter dome sounds like it would suit your needs.

Every once in a while you can find MSR Hubbas for sale for $200 at Campmor or similar.

Hell Track
    the quarter dome, unfortunately It's too small. My friend has one and i can't fit comfortably at 6' tall. I'll look at the Hubba specs.

Slothful dirt hippie
    I'd check out tarptent.com. Their tents are popular and light yet reasonably priced.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Hell Track
    thanks, they have some interesting designs. Most with trekking poles but a couple without. I definitely need a design that doesn't use trekking poles.

Slothful dirt hippie
    All their tents have an optional pole available- just look in the FAQ on each model.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

Hell Track
    Ok cool. Will do some more research. I like the idea of going with a small company that specializes in light weight backpacking tents. Prices aren't outrageous either

mtbr member
    Feb 2014

Tents 1 person ?

Tarptent, hyperlight mountain gear, mountain laurel designs, gossamer gear... All bomber and bug proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have a Eureka Spitfire 1 for Sale $75 plus something to ship it.

Hell Track
    Quote Originally Posted by Harryonaspot View Post
    I have a Eureka Spitfire 1 for Sale $75 plus something to ship it.
    Looks like a solid deal. Price is right. Did you buy it from that retailer in the link? found a 15% off coupon.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004

No I have had this a couple of years

Used it probably 10 nights. Nice tent very good condition. I just lucked into a really good deal on a Marmot. Otherwise I would be taking it on the new hot springs route in Idaho in a couple of weeks

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    my contrail and wil's moment by mbeganyi, on Flickr

fan of my tarptent contrail, and if i were to do over, i'd get the moment right next to mine in the photo.

mtbr member
    I use the Big Agnes Seedhouse SL 1 https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/De...t/SeedhouseSL1 and love it.

The only downside is that it requires a lot of stakes to be tight when needed. It's free standing though which is a necessity for me as I camp in the desert a lot and sometimes you just can't stake down a tent well.

It's msrp is up there but you can find deals for sure to get at your pricepoint.

They are a great company with a great reputation and good about warranties and stuff so I hear. I've used it often for 3 years and it's going plenty strong still with no problems.

mtbr member
    Another happy Tarptent owner here. In my case a Scarp 1.

Andrew

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    OP
    I have been using a contrail with a separate pole for years and it works fine, only weighs 1.8 oz and i use my trekking pole when backpacking. I just upgraded to a skyscape x and when bikepacking will use 2 cf poles- its really not a big deal, just don't do what i did on my last trip and leave it a a campsite. Had to make a 45" stick work and drive back later and get the pole.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Eureka

I have the Eureka Spitfire and while it is a great value and a well made tent, there are two things I don't like:

1. It is not freestanding. I need 10 stakes to keep it and the fly upright.
    2. The vestibule is not that big (of course, i'm comparing to my friend's tents which may be larger, heavier and more expensive.)

Hell Track
    Thanks all,
    Tarp tents look awesome but i went with a Eureka Spitfire 1. Got a good online deal for $95. Fell into my budget perfectly. It's jus over 3 lbs. My 2 man weighs more than double that.

mtbr member
    Ihave a spitfire 1 and like it. I only need 4 stakes for it. Be warned, its not big and the vestibule is pretty tiny, but I can fit all my gear in the text next to me when I sleep and keep my shoes in the vestibule.

mtbr member
    I use a spitfire 1 as well and have no complaints. This Gander Mountain version looks to be a copy and only $50.

GSX One-Person Backpacking Tent-708455 - Gander Mountain

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    I like my Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. Weighs more than a one-person Tarptent, but it's free-standing (great when the ground is too hard for stakes, although you'll have to figure out another solution for the fly) and it being double-walled is really nice for preventing condensation from getting the inside of your tent wet. I have distinct memories of having a dry tent after a night of camping that left the sleeping bags of my Tarptent-using friends soaked.

If you buy the footprint, it also has the option to set it up with just the footprint, fly and poles, though I've never done this.
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels