Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Sep 2012

New question here. Switching to drop bars with Shimano XT -- What are my options?

Surly Troll with a 10 speed Shimano XT group, rigid fork, intended use is expedition touring and bikepacking-- mostly dirt roads and occasional trail/singletrack.

Currently have a flat bar with Ergon GP3 grips. I'm generally happy with the setup but find that (1) I am searching for more hand positions on longer rides (2) would like a position that deals with headwinds better.

I have a few questions:
    1. Would switching to a drop handlebar be an improvement in these areas?
    2. Would it be possible to do so while retaining a relatively upright position (so as to comfortably enjoy the scenery)? For singletrack, do drop bars offer acceptable leverage?
    3. Searching online, it seems that Shimano's road shifters are not compatible with current Shimano XT derailleurs. If that's the case, what are my options? Are there any compatible bar end shifters? Are these useable on singletrack?

Any insight is much appreciated-- thanks in advance.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Take a look at the Jones Loop Bar. A ton of hand positions, keep you upright, and you wouldn't have to buy new shifters and brake levers.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    yes, jones bars. nothing better for multiple hand positions and easy integration with revelate style handlebar bags and all the other clutter that goes up there.

the 45 degree back sweep pared with a short stem also suit me really well for technical riding, off tour.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I just put Midge bars on my Fargo. I had Mary bars with 9 speed xtr trigger shifters. I found some Retroshift levers for cheap. They work great. Lots of hand positions. great shifting. You need to have a tall, short stem and plenty of steerer tube. ideally, the drops are at the height your handlebar would be. Plenty on this topic on the 29er bike forum. I might have gone with Jones loop bars,but this setup came around first. Good luck.

26 for life.
    Easiest thing to try first would be bar ends.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

Switching to drop bars with Shimano XT -- What are my options?

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiJohn View Post
    Easiest thing to try first would be bar ends.
    They would need to be friction shifters, and IME even 9-sp and friction shifting is too fussy.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

I do this on one bike.
    Made an accessory bar for lights, computers and such. Found I could also mount a trigger shifter on it. Works fine from the drops. I have a barend lever for FD.

The original version was made from a clip on aero bar.
    mtbtires.com

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    They would need to be friction shifters, and IME even 9-sp and friction shifting is too fussy.
    http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_wb8bAl1P-N...00/barends.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Wow-- thank you for all the responses.

I will do some more research on the Jones Bar. It certainly offers more hand positions, I'm a bit curious about how that manages without altering the orientation of the wrists (drops offer positions both parallel and perpendicular to road). Currently it does seem to be the best option without going for drops, though.

A quick search on Retroshift seems to indicate that they are not compatible with Shimano XT. Are there _any_ indexed bar end shifters that work with 10 speed XT RD?

Would trigger shifters work along with drops? Shiggy, how do you find the setup for rear shifts?

For future reference-- is this setup easier to accomplish with a SRAM group?

Thanks again.

26 for life.
    Just adding bar ends wouldn't need anything else changing.
    Sent from the future to destroy the past.

AZ
    banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dwrz View Post

I will do some more research on the Jones Bar. It certainly offers more hand positions, I'm a bit curious about how that manages without altering the orientation of the wrists (drops offer positions both parallel and perpendicular to road). Currently it does seem to be the best option without going for drops, though.

A quick search on Retroshift seems to indicate that they are not compatible with Shimano XT. Are there _any_ indexed bar end shifters that work with 10 speed XT RD?

Would trigger shifters work along with drops? Shiggy, how do you find the setup for rear shifts?

Thanks again.

Drop bars with SRAM 10 speed road shifters and SRAM derailleurs will.

Thanks again.
    I tried Jones Hbars. They are not a replacement for dropbars.

There are no indexed barend or downtube shifter that work with Shimano Dynasys RDs. There are some aftermarket adaptors to change cable pull that may work. Never used them.
    You could use Shimano 10-speed barend or 10-sp road integrated levers with Shimano 9-sp mtb or 10-sp road RDs

As I said, my dropbar/trigger shifter setup works fine.

All SRAM 10-sp shifters and RDs work together.
    Yes,
    mtbtires.com

Quote Originally Posted by KiwiJohn View Post
    Just adding bar ends wouldn't need anything else changing.
    Non-functional is non-functional.
    mtbtires.com

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    I tried Jones Hbars. They are not a replacement for dropbars.
    Jones' have replaced every pair of drop bars I owned. Different strokes I guess.
    Non-functional is non-functional.
    Also, for a second time;

Name:  pd_a_barends_1.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  14.4 KB

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by big_papa_nuts View Post

Also, for a second time;

Name:  pd_a_barends_1.jpg
Views: 825
Size:  14.4 KB
    Ummmm...no.

We were discussing barend SHIFTERS on dropbars.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    The bar ends have good reviews, but I am a bit skeptical. At this point I'm thinking I'll either try the Jones Bar or just wait until the group wears out and then switch to SRAM. Unless any bar end indexed shifters come out between now and then....

Thanks again to all those who've provided their insight.

The bar ends have good reviews, but I am a bit skeptical. At this point I'm thinking I'll either try the Jones Bar or just wait until the group wears out and then switch to SRAM. Unless any bar end indexed shifters come out between now and then....

Thanks again to all those who've provided their insight.
    As I mentioned earlier, you can use Shimano 10-sp barend shifters with Shimano 8/9/10-sp road RDs and Shimano 8/9-sp mtb RDs.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Thanks, Shiggy. That's good to know for the record. In my case-- the RD and cassette I have on now are pretty fresh; I think if I replace them it will just be with SRAM down the line.

Thanks, Shiggy. That's good to know for the record. In my case-- the RD and cassette I have on now are pretty fresh; I think if I replace them it will just be with SRAM down the line.
    Try the SRAM integrated levers before you buy. I am not fond of them, and they do not have a good reputation for longevity in rough conditions. SRAM does offer barend shifters, and the lowest end version is reasonably priced.
    mtbtires.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    That's good to know. I will definitely have to research that option in more detail.

One last question: how do you find the bar ends on singletrack? Are they workable?

Thanks again for all your help.

mtbr member
    I did this with my older RM hammer. I rode it for a while, but I ended up not liking it and will be rebuilding the hammer to its former glorious self. Having said that I would like to try something like the Salsa Fargo, something with geometry dialed in for a drop bar. The bar is the Salsa woodchipper, 25.4 clamp size. The frame is a little small for me now and I thought the extra reach with the bar would alleviate some the issues with the top tube being short for me. I set up the bar so the drops were as close as I could get to the flat bar position. I had a 9speed setup, shimano bar end shifters worked just fine, indexed rear friction front.
    To answer your question, I had no trouble shifting with the bar-ends. My issue was with the fit.

Switching to drop bars with Shimano XT -- What are my options?-img_3657.jpg
    No fuss with the MUSS

mtbr member
    I would second (or third) the Jones loop bars. You could use all of your current components and end up with more hand positions. You could probably even use the same stem that you currently have, or it should at least be close enough that you could tell what you really want.

I have a cross bike with SRAM brifters on Ragley Luxy drop bars. It is a great setup, the bars are nice and wide and it is very comfortable in the drops for singletrack. The shifting works very well for singletrack use. But I have already crashed in a sand pit and crammed one of the brifters into the sand hard enough that it quit working, and both myself and my LBS couldn't clean it out and get it functional again. I have friction bar ends on a touring bike that I ridden a lot off-road and find that they work well for that. The friction version works well for the 7-speeds that I have.

I have the road version of BB7 brakes on my cross bike and they are perfect for use with road brake levers. If you currently have hydraulic brakes then I don't know of a really good solution with drop bars.

I think that going to drop bars would be a pretty involved makeover on your current bike. I would put the Jones loop bars on there and if that didn't work, or even if it did, plan a bike that would have drop bars on it from the start. But I'm a big believer in n+1.

metrotuned WoS
    You should be able to use XT brake levers or any typical single speed styled drop bar brake levers combined with the new line of hydraulic ISO brakes with the reservoir at the brake caliper, using standard mechanical cable lines. "Hy/Rd Spyre"
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Ummmm...no.

We were discussing barend SHIFTERS on dropbars.
    Ummmmm...no.

The OP was asking about options for adding more had positions to his MTB. KiwiJohn mentioned that barends would be the easiest way to do that without changing anything shifter related, as they should just bolt to MTB bars.

And all this happened before the first mention of barend SHIFTERS.

Context.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast