mtbr member
    Mar 2013

Suggestion on next purchase set (DECISION MADE)

Cross posting this from the general section, but the gist of my situation is that I have one more set that I can purchase before I do an "Amish Tour", which should be interesting.. Any suggestions?

Need some help!

I have 3 more sets of items that I need to purchase until I am set up to hit the off-beaten-paths for doing some bikecamping.

Item Set 1: Jones H-Bar Loop Aluminium Black 31.8.

RE: Added real estate on the bars / more hand positions / more mounting positions for gear

Item Set 2: New saddle, Quick release buckles, ACA map case, bike floor stand, Garmin Trail maps (about $70 total - US TrailMaps - Equestrian, Rails to Trails NE map, Appalachian Trail)

RE: ya know, the entire sitting on a stock saddle for 8+ hours tends to make the bottom go numb, quick release buckles are less irritating than the loop style ones found on sleeping bag compression sacks, especially after a long day on the bike.. the Trail maps, well, that ties into the next big one

Item Set 3: Garmin eTrex 30, RAM EZ-Strap Mount

RE: Cause getting lost sucks? That and it'll help with a variety of things, not just MTB'ing, but hiking, route planning, POI's, etc..

The reason the maps are not included in set 3 is due to trying to spread the costs around the paychecks.

So what do you guys think?
    Last edited by RandomGuyOnABike; 05-24-2013 at 06:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Honestly, I would do a small part of 1 and 2. Handlebars, and saddle first.
    Contact points are so important to getting out and riding in comfort. Once that is achieved then longer distances present themselves easier then you need the maps!

Amazon.com: Garmin 010-11023-00 Colorado/Oregon Series Bike Mount: GPS & Navigation

I've been really happy with this mount, though I ended up ditching my etrex because it was having an issue staying on. . . never an issue with the mount though and it got alot of miles on and off road!

mtbr member
    Agree with Rusheleven go for the comfort items first! Love my Jones H-Bars, good choice.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Another +1 here.

I think I would be hesitant to get the Garmin trail maps. A little preparation can go a long way in that area. First off, there's downloadable maps for free if you look around hard enough. Sometimes they're even more up to date than the Garmin ones. I have an Edge 800, and my Edge maps were out of date when I bought the unit; I typically update my Garmin's maps for free every 6 months from a 3rd party website now after that experience. You can also supplement it with your own selection of courses that you import; typically you can set a course to "Always display", which will allow it to appear on your mapping view (I also do this quite heavily).

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I guess that does it then for today's purchasing, item set #2 minus the maps. Depending on how the financials go, I may or may not be able to get the H-bars as well. In the matter of what I need first - set #2 in my opinion, since as of right now, I am good on real-estate.

I do also need to get a rear-view helmet mirror from my LBS too.. and some campsite tools :\

I will need to get the h-bars though before I get the GPS since I have no space on my stock bars; and after these.. the next stop is a POV camera(s).. but that can take as much time as i want, since my trail camera can do video if i really want it to.

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Awesome! Let us know when you need help spending more of your money.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    their's a 100 rebate on the edge 800, which can bring it down to $210, buy it right now! Garmin Edge 800 at BikeTiresDirect

yeah, definitely don't pay for maps. There's fantastic open source stuff out there. Now you've saved enough to buy all the stuff on your lists.