Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2010

Stoves gone wild

Interesting...

CampStove

Heavy, but potentially eliminates a few other kit items. As I told the guy who sent me the link: Might be a worthy tradeoff until it's been raining that day.

Seriously, though...what's your stove set up? Penny alcohol? Old skool white gas? IsoButane mini (Snow Peak, etc), IsoB heat exchanger (Jetboil, etc)? Fire?

I've been running an old Snow Peak GigaPower Manual. Never got with liquid (kerosine, etc) fuels for some reason. Thinking I'll add a wind shield and call it good, or pony up for a newer Jetboil (Sol Ti).

Tea is a staple in our diet, and we've also begun to take to those pricey dehyd meals. I'm thinking quick trailside tea breaks. Jboil is impossible to beat for boiling time without going to the bigger MSR Reactor.

Whatcha got?

Mike

mtbr member
    You should give Caldera Cones a look. I use a ti cone with my 475ml mug.

DM

I'm attracted to Gravity!
    alcohol stove or open fire

problem with wood burners is that they're the first to get the axe when fire regs start coming down. last summer, ALL cooking was prohibited the fire danger was so high.

I have a Primus Alpine Lite canister-top stove that's my go-to for most trips. If I'm going short and light, I have a supercat alcohol stove I'll use. I have been tempted to replace it with a more efficient (but still fairly simple) alcohol stove. I also have a Primus Multi-Fuel that does winter and car camping duty. It's a liquid fuel stove that can also use a canister in a remote canister setup. It's very nice, but it's too heavy for most 3 season use. If I was doing international traveling this would be the stove I carried because it can burn almost anything.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    primus eta power gas.
    msr simmerlight.
    msr whisperlight int.

depending or where and how long I will be travelling.
    I am experementing with wood. Not sure if I want that as mine only heatsource.

Wanderer
    That BioLite does look interesting, I like the USB charging feature alot. I've been looking at the JetBoil ones but haven't purchased one yet. Currently using a car camping stove that I wouldn't want to carry any long distances.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

the one by mbeganyi, on Flickr

home made, or my trangia.
    i have 3-4 home made stoves that i can take out.
    really depends on my mood.

I'm your density
    I have a MSR Pocket Rocket and old WhisperLite that I use for backpacking.

I hope to (finally) build a Penny Alcohol stove before Summer. I have an old-skool Heineken keg can that I liberated from a Southwest airlines flight a couple years ago.

mtbr member
    Dec 2005
    I use a classic Trangia or a homemade Super Cat in the warmer months and a Whisperlight Int in the winter. The Trangia gets the most use since it holds enough alcohol to heat water for 3 meals which is perfect for Friday night through Sunday trips.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Stove? What's that?

mtbr member
    The BushBuddy or Bushcooker is my choice outside the winter, when not too much rain is forecasted. It is light and works well. A few Esbit tables provide a good backup.

My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    I use this little dude. DrPepper can stove, burning HEET. Drilled jets. Mess kit pot with a thin coat of black paint, and a tight lid. Wind screen made of flashing (not pictured).
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Stoves gone wild-stove.jpg  

Riding or Drumming
    Optimus Crux has been great. Stores nicely due to it's folding design. Also utilizes 'heat-sink' design ala Jetboil for crazy efficiency.

Tallboy
    Salsa El Mariachi SS
    Salsa Vaya
    Salsa Mukluk
    Surly Big Dummy

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I still use my old MSR Whisperlite that I have had for about 20 years, from my mountaineering days in the Alps - still going strong. Lightweight, and packs small, only problem is great care required around tents. Good thing about petrol is that it can be easily got anywhere in the world.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Trangia Mini for me. Cooked with it 19 days straight down the Pacific Coast.

mtbr member
    Hi my name is Vik and I am a stove addict...

I've got:

- 20yr old MSR XGK-II [hot as hell and no simmer - multi-fuel]
    - MSR Dragonfly [hot as hell and some simmer - multi-fuel]
    - MSR Simmerlite [pretty hot, quiet and you can simmer easily - white gas only]
    - MSR Pocket Rocket [hot, quiet canisters only]
    - Trangia [hot, quiet alcohol only]

I use the Dragonfly for extended trips where I'll be cooking a lot. You get a lot of mileage out of white gas or gasoline and resupply is easy.

I use the Pocket Rocket when I'm flying and need a stove. No mess and stove head doesn't make security folks freak out. Just need to score a canister or two when you land.

I use the Trangia for trips where weight/size matter and I can get away with one fuel bottle. It's small/quiet and clean. Works fast enough for tea and boiling water for dehydrating meals.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Hi my name is Vik and I am a stove addict...

I've got:

- 20yr old MSR XGK-II [hot as hell and no simmer - multi-fuel]
    - MSR Dragonfly [hot as hell and some simmer - multi-fuel]
    - MSR Simmerlite [pretty hot, quiet and you can simmer easily - white gas only]
    - MSR Pocket Rocket [hot, quiet canisters only]
    - Trangia [hot, quiet alcohol only]

I use the Dragonfly for extended trips where I'll be cooking a lot. You get a lot of mileage out of white gas or gasoline and resupply is easy.

I use the Pocket Rocket when I'm flying and need a stove. No mess and stove head doesn't make security folks freak out. Just need to score a canister or two when you land.

I use the Trangia for trips where weight/size matter and I can get away with one fuel bottle. It's small/quiet and clean. Works fast enough for tea and boiling water for dehydrating meals.
    LOL - I wouldn't call a pocket rocket quiet. less noisy, perhaps, than the XGK, but it's not a "Rocket" for nothing. All my compressed gas stoves are loud. My little canister top Primus can be turned down pretty low and it's not terribly noisy then...but for boiling water with the heat cranked up - just as loud as my expedition stove.

The only ones I would call quiet are unpressurized alcy stoves.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NateHawk View Post
    LOL - I wouldn't call a pocket rocket quiet. less noisy, perhaps, than the XGK, but it's not a "Rocket" for nothing. All my compressed gas stoves are loud. My little canister top Primus can be turned down pretty low and it's not terribly noisy then...but for boiling water with the heat cranked up - just as loud as my expedition stove.

The only ones I would call quiet are unpressurized alcy stoves.
    I've rec'd dirty stares from folks at the next campsite when I was cooking dinner with the Dragonfly. We'd become accustomed to the sound, but as we walked away from our picnic table and then back towards it we had to agree it sounded like a small jet plane was taking off...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

is buachail foighneach me
    Just started using a homemade double wall wood stove. Soup can and a Spaghetti-Os can. Upper holes on the inner can for an efficient burn. One handful of twigs will melt snow down to 18-20 oz of water.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    My MSR Dragonfly is like the proverbial jet taking off, especially when everyone is still sleeping and you want to eat.
    I have a couple Biolites on order, been following this product for over a year now and had hoped it was going into production last spring. Regardless, it's not really about another stove option for us, but more so for third world countries.

@trailgrinder
    That stove is sweet, I bet the make a huge impact in third world countries with the charging and light features

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sean salach View Post
    Just started using a homemade double wall wood stove. Soup can and a Spaghetti-Os can. Upper holes on the inner can for an efficient burn. One handful of twigs will melt snow down to 18-20 oz of water.
    That sounds cool, got any pics? I like the wood stove that selfpropelled devo uses in this video, Complete with stove pipe. Kifaru 4 man tipi with stove - YouTube I have been thinking about making a little woodstove for a long time, just never got around to it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Mines home made. 1/2 pint paint can stuffed with cotton balls and soaked with denatured alcohol. 2" high perforated windscreen held on the the outside with large ring clamp. Works great.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by leeboh View Post
    soaked with denatured alcohol.
    perfectly simple. you might find that HEET (methanol) burns a litte cleaner, if you ever see any soot on your pot..

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    The denatured work good and clean for me, i think the isopropyl burns black. I bring a small WELL labeled 8 oz container to add later. Make sure to not have any spilled on hands when lighting.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast