Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7
    mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    My Vargo wood stove arrived in the mail yesterday. $30 including shipping from ebay. Itís the steel version and not the Ti one, but it still only weighs 7.4oz and is a little more than half the price. Can be used alone or a windscreen for a beer can alcohol stove which fits nicely inside.

Unpacked it, set it up and let my 13 year old son light the first fire. Was roaring within minutes using leaves, twigs and matches to get it started - no firestarter needed. This thing is awesome! My only complaint is that there is a tab next to the door that keeps coming loose, causing the stove to come undone. Easy fix with a pin or wire stuck through it to keep it in place. But glad I did a dry run first. Here is a link to a video showing the issue and easy fix:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msN50uZeYnA

The other thing I will say is that it does require constant feeding or it burns down pretty fast. Which is actually good for me in the arid southwest (where I shouldn't be wandering away from any unattended fires), but something to be mindful of.

And some pics of the stove:
    Stoves gone wild-photo-1.jpgStoves gone wild-photo-2.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    for 70% etheyl
    Use a thin Redbull size can.
    Poke holes in the outer wall about half way down.
    One hole for each flume.
    Bigger than pin holes.
    Outer wall only.
    Works well in hotel rooms.
    Very poor in the wind.

Quote Originally Posted by eugenemtbing View Post
    I made a stove as outlined in that video. Started out with 70% ethyl alcohol. Could not keep it burning with the pot directly on the stove. It would burn OK when I spaced the pot above the stove with 1/8th inch brazing rod laid across the face of the stove, but this was unstable and finicky. The flame was blue and clean.

I then tried HEET (methyl alcohol) and 91% isopropyl alcohol. Both burned well with the pot directly on the stove. It took 8 minutes to boil two cups of cold water with HEET, and 11 minutes with isopropyl alcohol in 60 degree outdoor air temp with very little wind. The HEET burned blue and clean, and the isopropyl burned orange and sooty.

The clear winner is HEET, but it is clearly poisonous/toxic. I would rather use isopropyl or ethyl alcohol, which are actually sold as a skin antiseptic. Not sure if that is feasible though.

In the end, I probably screwed up this stove by enlarging the flumes and adding pin holes, etc., so a new one is in order. It is certainly small and light. The flame is not vigorous, however, which makes me wonder if it would be a PITA to use in the wet, windy, stormy conditions many of us bikepack in.

Attachment 839353

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    here is the video
    for 70% ethyl, use a redbull, thin size can, add more flumes, add holes in the outer wall. donīt forget the small hole he poked near the upper lip.
    ethyl burns clean
    ethyl can be used for hygiene if there is no water around

Quote Originally Posted by Coondog#77 View Post
    Just found a vid on how to make this stove, figured id share.

How To Turn A Beer Can Into The Only Camping Stove You'll Ever Need from Tom Allen on Vimeo.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7