Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by eugenemtbing View Post
    This seems like a nice alcohol stove design:

How To Turn A Beer Can Into The Only Camping Stove You'll Ever Need on Vimeo

Haven't tried it yet, but will.
    That lit fast and put out a lot of flame! I might have to try that design. Any idea why he drilled the one little hole between the flame outlets and the rim of the can?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Stoves gone wild

Must be a vent for air intake?

I bought and drank a large lemonaid today, in preparation for my stove!

Got a bottle of ethyl alcohol at the drug store for $2, but wonder if I should have gotten isopropyl/rubbing alcohol.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    hmm, some kind of vent is prolly right. ah, i think it may be to prevent liquid fuel from being forced out of the burner jets.

i use HEET from automotive section of bigboxmart. it is methanol. ethanol supposedly burns ok, but isopropyl is supposedly sooty.

mtbr member
    Just made one. I like it better than the one I made with the jet holes. I like that I can put my pot directly on the can. I used Denatured Alcohol and boiled 2 cups of water in under 6 minutes.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Stoves gone wild?... how about wild stoves that are historically traditional ... like an open fire.

Warren.

mtbr member
    Campfires are not allowed in my area.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    msr pocket rocket. just remember something for a wind screen.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Stoves gone wild

For those who want to live and breathe stove options or, like Vik, just consider themselves stove addicts:

http://adventuresinstoving.blogspot....n-jim.html?m=1

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Stoves gone wild

I made a stove as outlined in that video. Started out with 70% ethyl alcohol. Could not keep it burning with the pot directly on the stove. It would burn OK when I spaced the pot above the stove with 1/8th inch brazing rod laid across the face of the stove, but this was unstable and finicky. The flame was blue and clean.

I then tried HEET (methyl alcohol) and 91% isopropyl alcohol. Both burned well with the pot directly on the stove. It took 8 minutes to boil two cups of cold water with HEET, and 11 minutes with isopropyl alcohol in 60 degree outdoor air temp with very little wind. The HEET burned blue and clean, and the isopropyl burned orange and sooty.

The clear winner is HEET, but it is clearly poisonous/toxic. I would rather use isopropyl or ethyl alcohol, which are actually sold as a skin antiseptic. Not sure if that is feasible though.

In the end, I probably screwed up this stove by enlarging the flumes and adding pin holes, etc., so a new one is in order. It is certainly small and light. The flame is not vigorous, however, which makes me wonder if it would be a PITA to use in the wet, windy, stormy conditions many of us bikepack in.

Stoves gone wild-imageuploadedbytapatalk1381887773.466918.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Anybody have any good ideas for improvised windscreens? I'm abroad right now and forgot the windscreen that came with my MSR Whisperlite, although I'm using a Pocket Rocket right now.
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

lai
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wassa View Post
    Stoves gone wild?... how about wild stoves that are historically traditional ... like an open fire.Warren.
    Always when there is a chance to use open fire I use this military proven mess kit. MILITARÍA 1914

Name:  Valokuva-8HL7HUSV-D.jpg
Views: 905
Size:  85.8 KB

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    Anybody have any good ideas for improvised windscreens? I'm abroad right now and forgot the windscreen that came with my MSR Whisperlite, although I'm using a Pocket Rocket right now.
    I use a sheet of aluminum foil folded over a few times.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    I use aluminum roof flashing, but that may not be easy to get. if you cut the top and bottom off of an aluminum can, you will end up with a decent little sheet of aluminum to experiment with.

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    Another option is to make a windscreen from the bottom of an alu baking tray - the disposable type. They are thicker than alu foil and can stand up to a fair amount of abuse.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I also use aluminum foil. The restaurant grade is best (snagged from leftovers), but doubling over the consumer grade works fine as well. I make it so the ends overlap so you can fold them together snugly. I like the disposable baking tray idea as well. The whisperlite screen isn't much more than that to begin with.

I'm your density
    Another vote for the disposable alu pans. But in a pinch the foil is fine. It will burn more easily though when close to the stove flame.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    — Ty Webb

mtbr member

I had an old beat up MSR stove windscreen I cannibalized to make a smaller screen for my beer can stove.

It's got a nice blend of stiffness and flexibility.

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

I'm your density
    If you want to make a conical windscreen / pot stand, in post 34 I provided a link to zenstoves.net on how to make the template using your stove/pot dimensions.

Once I got the cone (frustrum) dimensions, I laid out some paper on the kitchen island, taped it down, and used a pencil tied to a string of appropriate lengths to draw the arcs. A little additional friggin'ometry calculated where to draw the side boundaries for the desired radii. That was the hardest part of the effort (must remember to include overlap for the interlock, if any).

After a test fit of the paper template over the stove/pot, I placed it over the bottom of a disposable lasagna pan, traced the outline with a sharpie, then cut with heavy-duty scissors. I punched vent holes every 3/4" or so with a standard paper hole-punch and made a couple of cuts for an integrated interlock.
    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    — Ty Webb

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Not a choice for "minimalist's", but for those who need (want) to simmer, cook w/ a pan or just want a simple, strong, versitile stove w/ a wide flame and don't mind a few extra ounces, I like the good 'ol Primus Classic Trail (formaly the "Yellowstone"). More often than not, it's "The one that gets used"...

S1190038

S1190040

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    You guys got me all fired up to make one of those stoves as well. I like it! Simpler in operation than the penny stove I normally use and almost instantaneous formation of the jets.

Always in the wrong gear
    Quote Originally Posted by TigWorld View Post
    You guys got me all fired up to make one of those stoves as well. I like it! Simpler in operation than the penny stove I normally use and almost instantaneous formation of the jets.

Just found a vid on how to make this stove, figured id share.

How To Turn A Beer Can Into The Only Camping Stove You'll Ever Need from Tom Allen on Vimeo.

Gary Fisher Rig SS
    Santa Cruz Solo

A gear-curious singlespeeder

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    My preferred method.

Propane/bhutan gas:

MSR Whisperlite og Dragonfly.

White Gas, diesel, Jet A1, etc; Primus Omnifuel.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Stoves gone wild

Don't know if this has been posted yet, but I might try this, as I am a coffee addict. HEET storage elsewhere though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-szOgg54f8k&sns=em

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    instant coffee? why doesn't he just punch a baby? just go with turkish coffee... cool setup.

with the heet, if you spill it in the can it evaporates completely, BUT it leaves behind a very bitter residue. i'd definitely want to store it elsewhere too.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Stoves gone wild

A friend of mine carries it in a metal fuel bottle on the back of his seatpost. Nice out-of-the-way spot if you're not using a seat bag.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast