Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    psycho cyclo addict
    My stove for weight saving travel is a 35 year old whisperlight.

The biolite is a very cool idea. Just pack some dryer lint to get it started...

mtbr member
    Feb 2010
    For BBQ in the bush I use a couple of stainless cake cooking racks with a little bit of wire to hold them together. Total weight is around 100g. Get a fire going, find a couple of suitable rocks and get that marinated butterflied lamb roast going:

Or get some gourmet sausages on:

It's all good.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Yeah, I just imagine if you were bikepacking with a bunch of folks... you're packing your gear up before rolling out. Everybody has their ultralight minimalist stuff, they look at you funny when you pack up your foldable BBQ. Everybody laughs at your choice in gear.

You get to the first spot to camp, everybody is eating their reconstituted slop out of their little bags you whip out the BBQ, grill up a steak, and all of a sudden you're everybody's best friend. All you had to do was to carry an extra third pound of gear with you.

Heh... so I fired up my alchy stove in my driveway on the Ebit pot stand. The pot sits directly on top of the alchy stove with no air gap to the center, choking it off to a trickle of flame. Not good. It wouldn't boil water at all.

I tried to make a shorter soda can stove, but messed it up right at the end of the process. Gonna try again tonight when I get home from work. I wonder if I just punched out the jet holes bigger if that would work?
    Yeah I need something bigger, I am a big man who likes to eat. I live on my bike and my meat comes from trapping and fishing.

I used one of my first trailers as a cooking surface once, generally I ride alone but that certainly attracted some attention but I was to hungry to play around with m little fire cooker. That trailer only made it about two more days after that and I had to get a new one. About six months later I ended up back at the same shop I bought that at ad the owner asked me where the ZAK was he sold me and I told him, we just laughed about it. Instructions never said "Do Not Use As A Cooking Surface".

I guess some of my south Texas comes out sometimes, and in Europe that is a fast way to get on Youtube, normally tittled with something like Idiot, Jackass, Moron, Another Yank. LOL

mtbr member
    Dude you are awesome. Thank you so much for that, I am going to find out the physical address of this place or another now that I have a brand. I wish I could just order it but I live on my bike, or maybe the camp site I like to use down in Italy will let me use their address for this.

You just made my year.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    I wonder if I just punched out the jet holes bigger if that would work?
    worth a try. my alky stoves need a pretty good amount of preheat to get going, so you might try that too. just make a little tray out of foil that the stove can fit in, and pour some fuel around the stove.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    worth a try. my alky stoves need a pretty good amount of preheat to get going, so you might try that too. just make a little tray out of foil that the stove can fit in, and pour some fuel around the stove.
    Without a pot on it, it heats up nicely. I tried heating it up then putting a pot on it, and the flame pulled back to a trickle.

mtbr member
    Stoves gone wild-optimus.jpgI still use the old school Optimus hiker. Its simple and gets the job done..If I want to boil a pot of spaghetti for 8 or fry a steak its got the gusto to do it.

mtbr member
    Seems kinda big and heavy. Not sure where I could pack something like that.

Interesting comment. From looking at the stoves being posted in this thread, this is one of the smaller offerings.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	optimus.jpg 
Views:	445 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	827813I still use the old school Optimus hiker. Its simple and gets the job done..If I want to boil a pot of spaghetti for 8 or fry a steak its got the gusto to do it.
    I really miss mine.
    It got confiscated at Sydney Australia airport.
    I'd owned it over 20 years and flown with it on many continents so it came as a complete shock.
    I'm hoping one comes up on a local ebay.
    Apparently you cant even mail them as I've heard tails of people winning them on international auctions only for them not to be delivered due to "safety" reasons.
    Probably they dont want them on planes I guess.
    My favorite cooker of all time and certainly the most multi-fueled with its ability to use metholated spirits (alcohol).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    I really miss mine.
    It got confiscated at Sydney Australia airport.
    I'd owned it over 20 years and flown with it on many continents so it came as a complete shock.
    I'm hoping one comes up on a local ebay.
    Apparently you cant even mail them as I've heard tails of people winning them on international auctions only for them not to be delivered due to "safety" reasons.
    Probably they dont want them on planes I guess.
    My favorite cooker of all time and certainly the most multi-fueled with its ability to use metholated spirits (alcohol).
    You should have no problem as long as its new,but they are a bit pricey for a new one.

ballbuster
    Quote Originally Posted by kameraguy View Post
    Interesting comment. From looking at the stoves being posted in this thread, this is one of the smaller offerings.
    Oh, my bad.... withdrawn. I thought the pot on top was somehow attached to the stove, or something.

Nah, looks pretty swank, actually.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Just came across and was impressed by the Kovea Spider
    Its getting great reviews and looks very stable.
    Wood Trekker: Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Long Term Review
    Adventures In Stoving: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove

Old Punk
    Sep 2010
    I prefer DIY alcohol and woodgas stoves made from recycled cans.
    These are what I been using this year.
    Stoves gone wild-image.jpg
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    You should have no problem as long as its new,but they are a bit pricey for a new one.
    No longer available new.
    They have been superseded by the Optimus Hiker plus without a silent burner which I dont want.
    I've missed a couple of unused ones on Ebay.
    I'd love to bid on a second hand one but am too worried about what I've been hearing about them getting snaffled in transit by the postal service.
    I'll think about requesting the seller remove the tank and sending it separately.

mtbr member

Here are a few UL cooking setups I've tried the last year or so.

Trangia and Ti pot shown above:

Bikepacking Cooking? | The Lazy Rando Blog...

Vargo Ti stove [aka. the No-Go Ti stove] :

Vargo Triad Stove Review | The Lazy Rando Blog...

Trail Designs F-Keg:

vikapproved | Trail Designs F-Keg Stove System Review

Beer can stove and Ti pot:

vikapproved | Bikepacking Cooking MK2?

The last link is my best setup so far.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    For years I used the classic Svea stove, then about twenty years ago I switched to the MSR Whisperlight. Since then I have added an MSR Pocket Rocket and use one or the other depending upon how long the trip is and where it is (longer trips I take the Whisperlight - easier to carry extra fuel).

I don't use freeze-dried food on bike trips. It is far too easy to stop at a grocery store and pick up some pasta or rice and something to top it off with. Freeze dried stuff is for wilderness backpacking trips, IMO.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    I don't use freeze-dried food on bike trips. It is far too easy to stop at a grocery store and pick up some pasta or rice and something to top it off with. Freeze dried stuff is for wilderness backpacking trips, IMO.
    +1 - if you can get access to real food that makes a lot of sense and is far more tasty! I tour on my MTB to get into the backcountry where there are no people or stores so I mostly carry freeze dried meals for dinner.

On one bikepacking trip this summer we stopped at each horse-packing outfitters camp we passed to see if they'd sell us a coke.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    +1 - if you can get access to real food that makes a lot of sense and is far more tasty! I tour on my MTB to get into the backcountry where there are no people or stores so I mostly carry freeze dried meals for dinner.

On one bikepacking trip this summer we stopped at each horse-packing outfitters camp we passed to see if they'd sell us a coke.
    This. I'm thinking about the solo trip I did this summer where I didn't talk to any humans for nearly 3 days and only saw some horse people at a distance on day 2... freeze dried food was just fine by me!
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Even on backpacking trips I will take some frozen tortellini and sauce for the first night - just to have one meal that's tastier than the freeze dried stuff. B the second night any food tastes great!

SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    I have a Soto Microregulator and really like it. Super light and really kicks out the heat.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013

Vargo Ti stove [aka. the No-Go Ti stove] :

Vargo Triad Stove Review | The Lazy Rando Blog...

Vik, why do you say the Vargo is the no-go stove? Are they crap??

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ads-bully View Post
    Vik, why do you say the Vargo is the no-go stove? Are they crap??
    I provided a link to my review of the vargo stove in my post above. It's was underwhelming to use.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Stoves gone wild

This seems like a nice alcohol stove design:

http://vimeo.com/m/64726512

Haven't tried it yet, but will.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010

Stoves gone wild

Funny -- I just realized Vik has this video listed in his blog. Sorry!

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I provided a link to my review of the vargo stove in my post above. It's was underwhelming to use.
    Ahh sorry mate, missed that one...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast