Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 51 to 100 of 153
  1. #51
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    62
    I use the Jet-Boil Flash. Love it.
    Jetboil Flash Personal Cooking System | Backcountry.com

    USed it several times. A few times for my wife and I. Did the whole Mountain Home dry food package thingy....did great! Used the coffee press accessory and that was cool too. It's not as small as the other stuff out there but it is very nice to store everything inside the canister. Fuel, stand, stove, etc.... cool beans. To me it was worth the $99. I don't care to 'make' my own. Rather have something that was designed, built by professionals. It's just one less thing for me to worry about when packing and getting ready for a trip. I'll cut corners (financially and materials) elsewhere.

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    133
    While I was cleaning my parents' pantry, I came across this BBQ Grill/Stove... its not even a pound; in fact, I think it weight as much as an unopened 12 oz soda....takes Charcoal bits; but from the design, I think it could use Sterno/Canned Heat and wood...its big enough to fit maybe 4 small burger patties; and the skewers are for shish-kebabs, or smores (used them for smores at the beach ) I do also have a canteen stove for use with a Canned Heat burner with my canteen cup, but I am thinking I want to use this grill for when I have meat to cook instead of stewing the meat...



  3. #53
    banned
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,666
    Quote Originally Posted by eatdrinkride View Post
    If I'm lucky to get out a few times a year for overnighters with my son is there some compelling reason to spend $70 or more on a stove? I'm guessing not.
    Reliability is the only major thing that comes to mind. If you get one with a piezo-electric starter, you should carry a lighter as a backup in case the starter fails.

    Stability of the stove legs and/or pot supports is another area where a cheaper stove might suffer. A review I read on Amazon for one of the stoves you posted said their stove came with uneven supports.

    The flame may not adjust low enough to do slow cooking or simmering, if that's your thing. Not that a more expensive stove would do much better. If you're just boiling water, that's a non-issue.

  4. #54
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081

    Re: Stoves gone wild

    Well it sounds like a cheap stove might be the way to go for an introduction into bike packing. No sense in dumping a ton of money at this time. Thanks for your input.

  5. #55
    bicycle rider
    Reputation: morganfletcher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    2,710
    I use this. Only used it twice so far, but it works fine. It's really light and minimal.


    Dinner at Pantoll by fnagrom, on Flickr

    Morgan

  6. #56
    Slothful dirt hippie
    Reputation: verslowrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,740
    FWIW we've been using a Mini Tattoo stove... alcohol, not the fastest thing, but holy cow the weight, size, ease of use, price, and bomb-proofness of the design have totally won us over. Husby made a stand/windscreen from roofing flashing that fits right inside our MSR 750ml pot along with a couple fuel bottles and the stove itself, so it packs down nice and tidy. Uses maybe 3/4 oz of OH to boil up 2c water.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    543
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    Stove? What's that?
    Ha! Certainly there is a good case to be made for cold meals and no stove weight at all!

    I have only done a handful of overnighters and generally the only thing I heat is water for coffee in the AM. So, I have cut my kit way back to a little homemade beer can alcy stove (with denatured alcohol) and two small metal cups - one for boiling the water and the other for drinking out of (so I don't singe my lips). SUPER light! Sometimes I will use hot water and dehydrated milk in my granola which on chilly mornings makes for a great warm breakfast. But my favorite dinner these days is sesame or peanut noodles pre-made. Perfect blend of carbs and protein and it tastes great after a long ride. I eat it right out of a ziplock bag (well, two inside of each other for good measure), reseal and put in the bear bag to hang. No fuss, no muss, no cleaning, and you can eat immediately.

    Not the best photo, but you get the idea. The stove is inside a cut down coffee can which the cups and stove all nest into for transport. This was before I switched to just two metal cups for heating water, but wanted to show the stove/coffee can/windscreen/pot stand arrangement.

    Stoves gone wild-stove.jpg

  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Mark_BC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    770
    Quote Originally Posted by verslowrdr View Post
    FWIW we've been using a Mini Tattoo stove... alcohol, not the fastest thing, but holy cow the weight, size, ease of use, price, and bomb-proofness of the design have totally won us over. Husby made a stand/windscreen from roofing flashing that fits right inside our MSR 750ml pot along with a couple fuel bottles and the stove itself, so it packs down nice and tidy. Uses maybe 3/4 oz of OH to boil up 2c water.
    Wow that thing is small! How does the alcohol get from the bottle into the stove through the hose? Does it just automatically suck it or does the bottle need to be on its side and it flows by gravity? I am thinking you could put a needle valve in that hose line and use that to regulate the flame.

  9. #59
    Slothful dirt hippie
    Reputation: verslowrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,740
    Just squeeze the bottle.

    I did a little overview vid of the stove + windscreen + pot et al earlier this season, shows how to use it:
    here.

    Truly a thing of beauty between the simplicity of the design, light weight, tiny size, and lovely machining.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

  10. #60
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Posts
    798
    I take two burners, off road touring. A Kovea Eagle and an MSR Pocket Rocket. The High-Performance ISO-Butane/Propane fuel that they use, works well and quickly. Most of my riding is done on the Great Dividing Range in Oz.

    The two burners work well, because I can cook a meal with different foods and have the dishes cooked and ready at the same time. Also when it comes to boiling water, which I do a lot of here in SE Oz , I'm not bogged-down waiting to use the only burner while the water is boiling. This is hydatids and liver fluke country so boiling water to a rolling boil, is highly recommended.

    Two 460g gas canisters will last me a bit longer than two weeks with heavy use, like boiling several litres of water each night ready for the following day, and heating water for coffee, cocoa or soups, at least 3 times a day, as well as cooking the main meal at night.

    I have a stainless steel billy for boiling water and the cooking pots are from Trangia.

    Warren.

  11. #61
    EDR
    Reputation: eatdrinkride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    9,081
    Quote Originally Posted by Wild Wassa View Post
    I take two burners, off road touring. A Kovea Eagle and an MSR Pocket Rocket.


    Warren.
    Is the Eagle much quieter than the PR?

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    486
    I just did a bike24.com order as I wanted some Schwalbe Supreme folding tyres for the Ogre.
    To compliment my Trangia alcohol stove which I've come to like, having had my Optimus multi-fuel confiscated at Sydney airport, I got bike24 to add a MSR Pocketrocket.
    Priced at 25.17 EUR = $36.37 AUD = Win

    German postage is slow and pricy but with bike24 you can add an awful amount of items before they add more postage costs unlike ordering from the States where they are quicker to add costs for every item. Shipping to Western Australia from the US is also pretty pedestrian on average.
    Its funny as shipping from the UK is super quick even though its much further away.

  13. #63
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    I just did a bike24.com order as I wanted some Schwalbe Supreme folding tyres for the Ogre.
    To compliment my Trangia alcohol stove which I've come to like, having had my Optimus multi-fuel confiscated at Sydney airport, I got bike24 to add a MSR Pocketrocket.
    Priced at 25.17 EUR = $36.37 AUD = Win

    German postage is slow and pricy but with bike24 you can add an awful amount of items before they add more postage costs unlike ordering from the States where they are quicker to add costs for every item. Shipping to Western Australia from the US is also pretty pedestrian on average.
    Its funny as shipping from the UK is super quick even though its much further away.
    Funny about that. I sometimes order stuff from chainreactioncycles.com in the UK, and sometimes my order will arrive in 3 days to the California Bay Area. I've ordered stuff from Ohio that took a week.

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    486
    My German order arrived with no trouble.
    I've yet to try out my pocket rocket but I couldn't resist ordering a multi-fuel stove
    to compliment my Trangia 27 series.
    I've coming, a Primus Omnilite Ti which I read can be fitted to my Trangia as an option giving it a bit more versatility with regards fuels and cooking speed.
    The Omnilite has a reputation of excellence with regards simmering as opposed to Trangias own X2 multi-fuel offering (also designed by Primus).
    The Omnilite is titanium and can utilise canister gas as well as the usual liquid fuel options of white gas/petrol, kerosene/diesel,
    Primus OmniLite Ti with 350 ml fuel bottle :: All Stoves :: Stoves :: Cooking :: Moontrail
    Once this arrives I'll probably look at selling the MSR Pocket Rocket as the Primus already covers the LPG option.

  15. #65
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    I just picked up an Esbit solid fuel stove on Amazon ($12!). I was thinking I could use it like a pot stand with my alcohol stove. Man! This thing is tiny! I'll have to see how my soda can alchy stove fits in there, but I think it's gonna be tight.

    Gonna do some cooking experiments in my driveway this weekend.

    *edit*

    Dangit! How do you remove images?!?
    Attached Images Attached Images   
    Last edited by pimpbot; 08-28-2013 at 09:57 PM.

  16. #66
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Central Scrutinizer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Posts
    161
    My current stove:



    Made from an aluminum bottle. Crimped with needle-nose pliers around the rim a little each time, round and round, until it looks right.

    Dead simple. No jets to clog, etc. Fill it with alcohol, light it, and start boiling water.

    Works great with my mug, which is only ~5" diameter - the heat is centered on the bottom. I used to use a pepsi stove, but with a small-diameter pot the stove jets focus the heat around the outer diameter of the pot, making it less efficient.

  17. #67
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ivan67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
    While I was cleaning my parents' pantry, I came across this BBQ Grill/Stove... its not even a pound; in fact, I think it weight as much as an unopened 12 oz soda....takes Charcoal bits; but from the design, I think it could use Sterno/Canned Heat and wood...its big enough to fit maybe 4 small burger patties; and the skewers are for shish-kebabs, or smores (used them for smores at the beach ) I do also have a canteen stove for use with a Canned Heat burner with my canteen cup, but I am thinking I want to use this grill for when I have meat to cook instead of stewing the meat...


    That is great, what company makes that? I have one of these http://cyclopsphoto.ca/galleries/sur..._stove_med.png and it does fine but the one you have has more cooking capabilities.

  18. #68
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan67 View Post
    That is great, what company makes that? I have one of these http://cyclopsphoto.ca/galleries/sur..._stove_med.png and it does fine but the one you have has more cooking capabilities.
    That is pretty *****in'! It would just be as pimp as all getout if you rolled up to your campsite, whipped this out, whipped out a 12oz pre-marinated steak and just frickin BBQed it right then and there... like a boss!!

    Stoves gone wild-meme-sticker-likeaboss.jpg

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ivan67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    That is pretty *****in'! It would just be as pimp as all getout if you rolled up to your campsite, whipped this out, whipped out a 12oz pre-marinated steak and just frickin BBQed it right then and there... like a boss!!

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	meme-sticker-likeaboss.jpg 
Views:	9407 
Size:	60.1 KB 
ID:	826621
    Well I do not know about pimp but it sure would beat my little stove, I live off of my rig and travel around so I need compact and light weight, just figured that users looked like it could get pretty flat and that is why I wanted to know the name. Also not sure what you mean by boss, I have been medically retired since 2004 and do not have a boss.

  20. #70
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    133
    internet slang/joke on the "like a boss" thing.

    as for the brand; I haven't been able to find out the exact brand; although I find that the brand that used to make them; sells BBQ grills but no longer this specific model....there are similar BBQ grills out there; you might be able to find one pretty cheaply...or you can get one fabricated..... there IS the idea though; you could make it even simpler...


    just use it over a campfire, or a few canned heat/sterno burners.

  21. #71
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ivan67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
    internet slang/joke on the "like a boss" thing.

    as for the brand; I haven't been able to find out the exact brand; although I find that the brand that used to make them; sells BBQ grills but no longer this specific model....there are similar BBQ grills out there; you might be able to find one pretty cheaply...or you can get one fabricated..... there IS the idea though; you could make it even simpler...


    just use it over a campfire, or a few canned heat/sterno burners.
    This is good too, I really need to find some more camping stores. This is what I miss about not being back in Texas, seemed like back home you could get this stuff anywhere but in Europe they sell flashy, bulky stuff for the egotistical outdoors type.

    Thank you,

  22. #72
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan67 View Post
    Well I do not know about pimp but it sure would beat my little stove, I live off of my rig and travel around so I need compact and light weight, just figured that users looked like it could get pretty flat and that is why I wanted to know the name. Also not sure what you mean by boss, I have been medically retired since 2004 and do not have a boss.
    Yeah, I just imagine if you were bikepacking with a bunch of folks... you're packing your gear up before rolling out. Everybody has their ultralight minimalist stuff, they look at you funny when you pack up your foldable BBQ. Everybody laughs at your choice in gear.

    You get to the first spot to camp, everybody is eating their reconstituted slop out of their little bags you whip out the BBQ, grill up a steak, and all of a sudden you're everybody's best friend. All you had to do was to carry an extra third pound of gear with you.

    Heh... so I fired up my alchy stove in my driveway on the Ebit pot stand. The pot sits directly on top of the alchy stove with no air gap to the center, choking it off to a trickle of flame. Not good. It wouldn't boil water at all.

    I tried to make a shorter soda can stove, but messed it up right at the end of the process. Gonna try again tonight when I get home from work. I wonder if I just punched out the jet holes bigger if that would work?

  23. #73
    Vincit qui patitur
    Reputation: owtdorz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by Ivan67 View Post
    That is great, what company makes that? I have one of these http://cyclopsphoto.ca/galleries/sur..._stove_med.png and it does fine but the one you have has more cooking capabilities.

    Grill Portable Folding Barbecue BarBQ Le Gourmet by CrabbyCats
    Vincit qui patitur
    2012 Salsa Spearfish 2
    2014 KONA Process 153
    2016 KONA Operator
    2013 Giant Defy

  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    439

    Vital Stove

    Hi Guys,

    Saw this thread and didn't see mention of this little guy:

    Vital Stove

    Vital Stove

    Looks very compact and the demo videos show this little thing doing awesome work cooking stuff. Seems like a great bike-day/packing stove due to it's small self-contained rectangular form factor, and it's use of natural materials found wherever you set it up.

    Haven't bought one myself, but might get one if they go on sale. I think Amazon sells them but they are a bit pricey.

    Anyone use/have one of these?

  25. #75
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by kameraguy View Post
    Hi Guys,

    Saw this thread and didn't see mention of this little guy:

    Vital Stove

    Vital Stove

    Looks very compact and the demo videos show this little thing doing awesome work cooking stuff. Seems like a great bike-day/packing stove due to it's small self-contained rectangular form factor, and it's use of natural materials found wherever you set it up.

    Haven't bought one myself, but might get one if they go on sale. I think Amazon sells them but they are a bit pricey.

    Anyone use/have one of these?
    Seems kinda big and heavy. Not sure where I could pack something like that.

  26. #76
    psycho cyclo addict
    Reputation: edubfromktown's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    2,217
    My stove for weight saving travel is a 35 year old whisperlight.

    The biolite is a very cool idea. Just pack some dryer lint to get it started...

  27. #77
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Posts
    1,756
    For BBQ in the bush I use a couple of stainless cake cooking racks with a little bit of wire to hold them together. Total weight is around 100g. Get a fire going, find a couple of suitable rocks and get that marinated butterflied lamb roast going:



    Or get some gourmet sausages on:



    It's all good.

  28. #78
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ivan67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    213
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Yeah, I just imagine if you were bikepacking with a bunch of folks... you're packing your gear up before rolling out. Everybody has their ultralight minimalist stuff, they look at you funny when you pack up your foldable BBQ. Everybody laughs at your choice in gear.

    You get to the first spot to camp, everybody is eating their reconstituted slop out of their little bags you whip out the BBQ, grill up a steak, and all of a sudden you're everybody's best friend. All you had to do was to carry an extra third pound of gear with you.

    Heh... so I fired up my alchy stove in my driveway on the Ebit pot stand. The pot sits directly on top of the alchy stove with no air gap to the center, choking it off to a trickle of flame. Not good. It wouldn't boil water at all.

    I tried to make a shorter soda can stove, but messed it up right at the end of the process. Gonna try again tonight when I get home from work. I wonder if I just punched out the jet holes bigger if that would work?
    Yeah I need something bigger, I am a big man who likes to eat. I live on my bike and my meat comes from trapping and fishing.

    I used one of my first trailers as a cooking surface once, generally I ride alone but that certainly attracted some attention but I was to hungry to play around with m little fire cooker. That trailer only made it about two more days after that and I had to get a new one. About six months later I ended up back at the same shop I bought that at ad the owner asked me where the ZAK was he sold me and I told him, we just laughed about it. Instructions never said "Do Not Use As A Cooking Surface".

    I guess some of my south Texas comes out sometimes, and in Europe that is a fast way to get on Youtube, normally tittled with something like Idiot, Jackass, Moron, Another Yank. LOL

  29. #79
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Ivan67's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    213
    Dude you are awesome. Thank you so much for that, I am going to find out the physical address of this place or another now that I have a brand. I wish I could just order it but I live on my bike, or maybe the camp site I like to use down in Italy will let me use their address for this.

    You just made my year.

  30. #80
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    2,688
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    I wonder if I just punched out the jet holes bigger if that would work?
    worth a try. my alky stoves need a pretty good amount of preheat to get going, so you might try that too. just make a little tray out of foil that the stove can fit in, and pour some fuel around the stove.

  31. #81
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    worth a try. my alky stoves need a pretty good amount of preheat to get going, so you might try that too. just make a little tray out of foil that the stove can fit in, and pour some fuel around the stove.
    Without a pot on it, it heats up nicely. I tried heating it up then putting a pot on it, and the flame pulled back to a trickle.

  32. #82
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RossJamis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    385
    Stoves gone wild-optimus.jpgI still use the old school Optimus hiker. Its simple and gets the job done..If I want to boil a pot of spaghetti for 8 or fry a steak its got the gusto to do it.

  33. #83
    mtbr member
    Reputation: kameraguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    439
    Quote Originally Posted by pimpbot View Post
    Seems kinda big and heavy. Not sure where I could pack something like that.

    Interesting comment. From looking at the stoves being posted in this thread, this is one of the smaller offerings.

  34. #84
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	optimus.jpg 
Views:	1520 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	827813I still use the old school Optimus hiker. Its simple and gets the job done..If I want to boil a pot of spaghetti for 8 or fry a steak its got the gusto to do it.
    I really miss mine.
    It got confiscated at Sydney Australia airport.
    I'd owned it over 20 years and flown with it on many continents so it came as a complete shock.
    I'm hoping one comes up on a local ebay.
    Apparently you cant even mail them as I've heard tails of people winning them on international auctions only for them not to be delivered due to "safety" reasons.
    Probably they dont want them on planes I guess.
    My favorite cooker of all time and certainly the most multi-fueled with its ability to use metholated spirits (alcohol).

  35. #85
    mtbr member
    Reputation: RossJamis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    385
    Quote Originally Posted by rifraf View Post
    I really miss mine.
    It got confiscated at Sydney Australia airport.
    I'd owned it over 20 years and flown with it on many continents so it came as a complete shock.
    I'm hoping one comes up on a local ebay.
    Apparently you cant even mail them as I've heard tails of people winning them on international auctions only for them not to be delivered due to "safety" reasons.
    Probably they dont want them on planes I guess.
    My favorite cooker of all time and certainly the most multi-fueled with its ability to use metholated spirits (alcohol).
    You should have no problem as long as its new,but they are a bit pricey for a new one.

  36. #86
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,702
    Quote Originally Posted by kameraguy View Post
    Interesting comment. From looking at the stoves being posted in this thread, this is one of the smaller offerings.
    Oh, my bad.... withdrawn. I thought the pot on top was somehow attached to the stove, or something.

    Nah, looks pretty swank, actually.

  37. #87
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    486
    Just came across and was impressed by the Kovea Spider
    Its getting great reviews and looks very stable.
    Wood Trekker: Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Long Term Review
    Adventures In Stoving: The Kovea Spider (KB-1109) Remote Canister Stove

  38. #88
    Old Punk
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Posts
    529
    I prefer DIY alcohol and woodgas stoves made from recycled cans.
    These are what I been using this year.
    Stoves gone wild-image.jpg
    '09 Specialized Rockhopper expert 29
    Born 26" trials
    '07 Specialized Allez

  39. #89
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Posts
    486
    Quote Originally Posted by RossJamis View Post
    You should have no problem as long as its new,but they are a bit pricey for a new one.
    No longer available new.
    They have been superseded by the Optimus Hiker plus without a silent burner which I dont want.
    I've missed a couple of unused ones on Ebay.
    I'd love to bid on a second hand one but am too worried about what I've been hearing about them getting snaffled in transit by the postal service.
    I'll think about requesting the seller remove the tank and sending it separately.

  40. #90
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,801


    Here are a few UL cooking setups I've tried the last year or so.

    Trangia and Ti pot shown above:

    Bikepacking Cooking? | The Lazy Rando Blog...



    Vargo Ti stove [aka. the No-Go Ti stove] :

    Vargo Triad Stove Review | The Lazy Rando Blog...



    Trail Designs F-Keg:

    vikapproved | Trail Designs F-Keg Stove System Review



    Beer can stove and Ti pot:

    vikapproved | Bikepacking Cooking MK2?

    The last link is my best setup so far.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  41. #91
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    161
    For years I used the classic Svea stove, then about twenty years ago I switched to the MSR Whisperlight. Since then I have added an MSR Pocket Rocket and use one or the other depending upon how long the trip is and where it is (longer trips I take the Whisperlight - easier to carry extra fuel).

    I don't use freeze-dried food on bike trips. It is far too easy to stop at a grocery store and pick up some pasta or rice and something to top it off with. Freeze dried stuff is for wilderness backpacking trips, IMO.

  42. #92
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,801
    Quote Originally Posted by bradkay View Post
    I don't use freeze-dried food on bike trips. It is far too easy to stop at a grocery store and pick up some pasta or rice and something to top it off with. Freeze dried stuff is for wilderness backpacking trips, IMO.
    +1 - if you can get access to real food that makes a lot of sense and is far more tasty! I tour on my MTB to get into the backcountry where there are no people or stores so I mostly carry freeze dried meals for dinner.

    On one bikepacking trip this summer we stopped at each horse-packing outfitters camp we passed to see if they'd sell us a coke.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  43. #93
    Slothful dirt hippie
    Reputation: verslowrdr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    2,740
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    +1 - if you can get access to real food that makes a lot of sense and is far more tasty! I tour on my MTB to get into the backcountry where there are no people or stores so I mostly carry freeze dried meals for dinner.

    On one bikepacking trip this summer we stopped at each horse-packing outfitters camp we passed to see if they'd sell us a coke.
    This. I'm thinking about the solo trip I did this summer where I didn't talk to any humans for nearly 3 days and only saw some horse people at a distance on day 2... freeze dried food was just fine by me!
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

  44. #94
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    161
    Even on backpacking trips I will take some frozen tortellini and sauce for the first night - just to have one meal that's tastier than the freeze dried stuff. B the second night any food tastes great!

  45. #95
    SpoK Werks Handmade Goods
    Reputation: 1 Speed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,134
    I have a Soto Microregulator and really like it. Super light and really kicks out the heat.

  46. #96
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post






    Vargo Ti stove [aka. the No-Go Ti stove] :

    Vargo Triad Stove Review | The Lazy Rando Blog...


    Vik, why do you say the Vargo is the no-go stove? Are they crap??

  47. #97
    mtbr member
    Reputation: vikb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,801
    Quote Originally Posted by ads-bully View Post
    Vik, why do you say the Vargo is the no-go stove? Are they crap??
    I provided a link to my review of the vargo stove in my post above. It's was underwhelming to use.
    Safe riding,

    Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

  48. #98
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    735

    Stoves gone wild

    This seems like a nice alcohol stove design:

    http://vimeo.com/m/64726512

    Haven't tried it yet, but will.

  49. #99
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    735

    Stoves gone wild

    Funny -- I just realized Vik has this video listed in his blog. Sorry!

  50. #100
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    84
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    I provided a link to my review of the vargo stove in my post above. It's was underwhelming to use.
    Ahh sorry mate, missed that one...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •