mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Single Speed Multiday Ride: Looking for ideas

I'm organzing a multiday group ride for some buddies, we've bounced around a few trail ideas, White Rim Trail, Ma Da Hey Trail, even a section of the "developing" Virginia Mountain Bike Trail.

We are mostly East Coasters, so given a choice we would prefer a ride on the dry side of the country, but we can handle a little humidity...and something out this way would be easier to manage.

We are slow, so daily mileage will be low (~20-30 miles a day depending on terrain), we need the ability to resupply using an outfitter or drops, hike a bike is fine, avoiding significant sections of pavement, ideally we'd be on mostly single track with some double track.

So 80-100 miles over four to five days.

Suggestions?

mtbr member
    Don't know when you are wanting to do it but Ozark Trail Planner - Home

mtbr member
    Here's a nice long ride in the east where you should be able to pick up what you need on the way Great Allegheny Passage - The official website for the rail-trail system between Pittsburgh, PA and Cumberland, MD
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Agree with T0pcat. The GAP sounds perfect for what you're looking for. I'm hoping to get up there and ride that route this summer if I'm still on the East Coast.

Ride da mOOn Moderator

Wink

You did say single or double track, not rail trail, correct?...
    ...long rail trail rides on an SSer are dead ass bored to death!

You could start here:
    Mountain Bike Trails | Mountain Biking Information

I have looked into this also, but linking lots of miles of single track is difficult if your gonna do it loaded down, more so on an SSer!

Blackwater WV is a great place to spend 4 to 5 days and ride different stuff each day. Why not shoot Roger at Blackwater bikes an email and ask him if he can throw together a plan, he had a great one for me when I was there!

Northern Pa Potter county, Susquehannock state forest has lots but you'll have to design your own loop. You could do the old Gods country race course, Denton Hill trails, Cherry Springs SP, then head down to Ole Bull SP, finish up at Kettle Creek SP

You could look to hang your helmet in the Tussey Mountain area, outside state college Pa, you'll have a choice of gravel roads and super singletrack including a different view, Trans-Sylvania epic stage race.
    The Trans-Sylvania Mountain Bike Epic | SEVEN DAYS OF GREAT MOUNTAIN BIKING: YOUR NEXT ADVENTURE VACATION.

There was once talk of a Laurel Ridge 100 mile mountain top trail near Pittsburgh, Pa, the locals might be able to help ya out.
    Pennsylvania Dirt: Pittsburgh Area Mountain Bike Trails, Trail Guides and Trail Maps

M.O.R.E. has a 40 miler connecting different parks and it is more suburban so hooking up supplies might be easier.
    Mo Co Loop | International Mountain Bicycling Association

Home Page | MORE-MTB

Stuff on my list, please know I like really tough stuff and ride my rigid SSer a lot, so these would be considered extreme for bikepacking, but can be done!

I'm heading back to North Carolina soon, Pisgah and Uwharrie are cool

Monongahela NF, 900,000 thousand acres of fun!
    Epic Mountain Bike Rides - Great Mountain Biking in West Virginia (Monongahela National Forest)

Slatyfork WV, 37 miles of rough stuff, might not be your cup of tea, while bikepacking.

Oak Mountain Alabama is on my list, but it's 25 miles, with more if ya explore!
    Last edited by NEPMTBA; 01-19-2013 at 08:08 PM.