Thread: Shoes for CTR?

mtbr member
    Apr 2005

Shoes for CTR?

I love my Sidi Dominators, but I'm thinking that they are not the best shoe for the CTR.
    If you disagree and think that (despite the hard plastic soles) they would be as good as any other shoe, let me know.

Or if you have a suggestion for a good shoe for such a ride, I'd love to hear it.

I'm leaning towards Shimano as their shoes have a nice rubber sole that would provide plenty of grip when not riding...

Thanks in advance.
    "Whether it be an abrasion or a mental breakdown, everyone suffers in one way or another." ORAMM Disclaimer

pedal me happy
    Oct 2009
    I used Lake shoes because of the sole looks like a hiking boot worked really well during hab.
    I didn't finish due to an injury but you will want all the traction you can get on some parts.
    I think mine were 185s and have a plastic instead of carbon footbed so there was some
    flex in them. I went on some hikes before the race to see how the worked for an extended time,
    I would recomend doing that with whatever you plan on using.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Sorry to hear about the injury...

Sounds like you're agreeing that whatever your "regular" shoe is, that you're gonna want to use something that is more HAB friendly.
    Yea, I'm just not sure how far to move from a good CYCLING shoe to a good HAB shoe...

Thanks for the input.
    "Whether it be an abrasion or a mental breakdown, everyone suffers in one way or another." ORAMM Disclaimer

A guy on a bike Moderator
    I've used Shimano Mountain Touring shoes twice, and they've worked great. Pretty stiff for riding, but still flexible enough for walking. Pearl Izumi X-Alps are extremely popular.

Make sure that you've got extra room. Most people's feet swell a fair bit during the race.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    Make sure that you've got extra room. Most people's feet swell a fair bit during the race.
    Quoted for truth and importance. My big toe was numb for weeks afterwards. I'm sizing up a half size for this year...

But I absolutely despise Pearl Izumi X alps. I roll with platform pedals on something like the CTR where there is so much hike a bike, and the X alps hike terribly, and also dont get along well with my platforms. This year Im just going with nice, lightweight, breathable, low top hiking or trail running shoes.
    Last edited by Couloirman; 02-19-2013 at 08:54 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Flats?

How does everyone feel five tens or teeva's would hold up?

I do like my Specialized Comp MTB shoes for 1-2 hour xc rides i dont think i would ever take them (or any clipless pedal/shoe system for that matter) on that long of a ride.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by rusheleven View Post
    ...i dont think i would ever take them (or any clipless pedal/shoe system for that matter) on that long of a ride.
    Many people wear clipless pedals on the CTR, myself included. In fact, MOST people ride it with clipless pedals. Not that flats are bad, as they obviously have advantages too. Either system will work, so wear what will give you the best efficiency, control, and comfort.

As far as durability, any shoe that can take 100 miles of hiking over rough terrain should be fine. Something breathable is a good idea, so that your feet will dry out between storms. I assume that you;'re considering Teva shoes, not sandals? If so, they seem tough enough. Personally, I would not wear sandals--too much stumbling around in the dark on sharp rocks.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I was thinking more along the lines of their crank or links shoes

TevaŽ Links for Men | Mountain Biking Shoes at Teva.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TobyGadd View Post
    Pearl Izumi X-Alps are extremely popular.
    Just got an E-mail back from PI that the X-Alps Elite are discontinued. PI is having a complete overhaul with the new X-Project Shoes.

The X-Alps Elite are now the X-Alp Launch and the X-project look very like a good bikepacking option! I might go with them because the all around use!

mtbr member
    May 2010

Shoes for CTR?

Any idea when the new PI's will be available?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    I'm Hearing March, but dont know details!

mtbr member
    May 2010

Shoes for CTR?

Nothing on the net. Definitely thinking those could be my new kicks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD