Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shelters

113K views 171 replies 89 participants last post by  MKCBrown93 
#1 ·
Didn't want to hijack the hammock thread.

In addition to fairly heavy 2-person backpacking tents, which I will probably never use bikepacking, I have:

- Integral Designs BugaBivy
- The Yama 1.25 Bug Shelter (used to be Alpinlite). Don't have the fitted tarp for it.

I use a sheet of Tyvek as ground cover. You can get pre-cut sheets here, or if you know someone in construction maybe you can get free scraps.

Whatcha got?

#26 ·
My last trip i hauled a Bob Trailer and brought my REI Quarterdome T2. Weighs about 4lbs packed and was very spacious. For my next trip I'm going to use soft bags exclusively so I wanted something lighter and more compact. I was going to go for a Bivy/Tarp combo but have found hammocks way more comfortable. Hammock with suspension weighs ~10oz. / Tarp with rigging weighs another ~10oz.

#76 ·
De-struttin Henry`s stuff...

Tough decision between the Moment and the Contrail, but I finally went for the Moment. The end struts in the Moment are the biggest problem as far as bicycling goes, so that turned out to be the bulk of the conversation that I had with Henry Shires. He says that minor differences between batches seem to cause thet confusion over how easy or dificult they are to install after removal. Apparently, humidity can also affect it- he says the nylon tends to shrink up slightly when its very dry, so wetting the it down will usually help if they`re feeling stubborn. Since I was pretty confused over that whole idea, here`s how the system works.

The struts just slide into long pockets that look to be formed by sewing along the edge of one inch webbing folded lengthwise. The seam stops about an inch from the bottom end, leaving a small opening to push them in through. On my particular tent, they go in very easily until the last 1.5 inches or so, then I have to wiggle, push, and cuss to get the last part in. As of now, I`m going to say I doubt I`ll remove them every time I pack it up, but I have an idea that will hopefully simplify the process enough to make it worthwhile. The issue isn`t the length, as I had thought previously,but the diameter of the struts. It`s because the top end of each of those long pockets has a piece of velcro sewn on, and the extra stitching for that velcro slightly reduces the width of the pocket.

The ends of struts are cut flat. I suspect that just capping them with a bullet shaped end and trimming the bottom to the original OAL will help a lot. I`ll report back after I try that. I also considered replacing them with a slightly smaller diameter tube, but at 0.291 inches, the carbon tubing is already smaller than any aluminum tent pole sections I can find. I think it`s probably arrow shafting, and will run one by an archery shop to ask. My bullet ends might be as simple as installing arrow nochs and grinding them to a rounded end with a belt sander.

As is, the package is pretty long, but it will fit on my bike. I need to ride a while with it tied under the TT to see if it`s going to bug me by brushing my knees on each pedal stroke (guessing that`s a yes). Otherwise, it`ll have to share the rear rack with my sleeping bag. That won`t be a problem with a dry tent, but I don`t think I want to snuggle the two together like that after a wet packup. The two pics on my bike show the tent without the long pole, but with the struts installed. The long pole will go on the underside of my rack no matter where I put the rest of the tent.

The other tent pic (not on bike) is with struts removed. I can just barely squeeze it into the bag that came with my full length Insulated Air Core matress, leaving it 10 inches long x 5 inches diameter. Note that a packed Contrail is only slightly bigger without any messing around- it just rolls up and stuffs right into the shorter bag. Oh, another note on the Contrail- I did throw my sleeping mat into one and climb in after it. Yup, very easy, and I did NOT have to back in.

Attachments

#77 ·
Tough decision between the Moment and the Contrail, but I finally went for the Moment. The end struts in the Moment are the biggest problem as far as bicycling goes, so that turned out to be the bulk of the conversation that I had with Henry Shires. He says that minor differences between batches seem to cause thet confusion over how easy or dificult they are to install after removal. Apparently, humidity can also affect it- he says the nylon tends to shrink up slightly when its very dry, so wetting the it down will usually help if they`re feeling stubborn. Since I was pretty confused over that whole idea, here`s how the system works.

The struts just slide into long pockets that look to be formed by sewing along the edge of one inch webbing folded lengthwise. The seam stops about an inch from the bottom end, leaving a small opening to push them in through. On my particular tent, they go in very easily until the last 1.5 inches or so, then I have to wiggle, push, and cuss to get the last part in. As of now, I`m going to say I doubt I`ll remove them every time I pack it up, but I have an idea that will hopefully simplify the process enough to make it worthwhile. The issue isn`t the length, as I had thought previously,but the diameter of the struts. It`s because the top end of each of those long pockets has a piece of velcro sewn on, and the extra stitching for that velcro slightly reduces the width of the pocket.

The ends of struts are cut flat. I suspect that just capping them with a bullet shaped end and trimming the bottom to the original OAL will help a lot. I`ll report back after I try that. I also considered replacing them with a slightly smaller diameter tube, but at 0.291 inches, the carbon tubing is already smaller than any aluminum tent pole sections I can find. I think it`s probably arrow shafting, and will run one by an archery shop to ask. My bullet ends might be as simple as installing arrow nochs and grinding them to a rounded end with a belt sander.

As is, the package is pretty long, but it will fit on my bike. I need to ride a while with it tied under the TT to see if it`s going to bug me by brushing my knees on each pedal stroke (guessing that`s a yes). Otherwise, it`ll have to share the rear rack with my sleeping bag. That won`t be a problem with a dry tent, but I don`t think I want to snuggle the two together like that after a wet packup. The two pics on my bike show the tent without the long pole, but with the struts installed. The long pole will go on the underside of my rack no matter where I put the rest of the tent.

The other tent pic (not on bike) is with struts removed. I can just barely squeeze it into the bag that came with my full length Insulated Air Core matress, leaving it 10 inches long x 5 inches diameter. Note that a packed Contrail is only slightly bigger without any messing around- it just rolls up and stuffs right into the shorter bag. Oh, another note on the Contrail- I did throw my sleeping mat into one and climb in after it. Yup, very easy, and I did NOT have to back in.
thanks for the report.
i also though about doing the frame bag thing for the moment, but my fargo simply runs out of room for that with its smaller triangle.

looks like you made a good choice for you - and you have options for packing. cant wait to see my buddies tent in action. likely very late fall trip coming up.

i made a stiffer pole for the contrail today. ordered parts from quest outfitters and have a slightly heavier collapsible front pole (still 3 pieces, although I debated going 4 so it packed smaller) - but out of .433 tubing. much stiffer than the nano stuff that came standard.

#102 ·
Just picked this up at a local gander mountain that was remodeling and getting rid of all there stock....nothing fancy but for $60 I can't complain. Stats say it weights in at 3lbs 5oz which i can deal with as i'm looking to take my first weekend bikepacking trip come spring....now to make some frame bags before then!

(not my pics)

#105 ·
I have the Contrail and got the 2 oz (collapsible) tent pole that is sold separately. I strap the collapsible tent pole to my top tube. I have a Revelate gas tank and I slide the pole along the top tube and under the velcro that secures the gast tank to the top tube. I then slide a short length of orange cord thru the end of the pole (when you collapse the pole, there is a short length of stretchy cord exposed between sections and I slide the orange cord thru that) and then tie the orange cord around the stem. This way the gas tank velcro secures the pole to the bike along the tob tube and the orange cord keeps the pole from sliding out. I have never had any problem with the pole getting in the way or with losing it.

#135 ·
Too many mosquitos, red ants and a gazillion other types of flying, crawling and biting things where I am for just a tarp. It is also way too hot to use an an air matress in a bivvy or tent on the ground. At a little over 1Kg for all, my hennesey deep jungle hammock is the best option. I had a sub 500g lightweight hammock but the critters could bite my ass through it. Insect bites directly under a sit bone and 6 hours in the saddle makes for an uncomfortable day; something for one of those celebrity torture TV shows I reckon

#4 ·
For the bug period a two-person Tarptent Double Rainbow works well. It is not heavy for the space and shelter it provides.

Outside the bug season a Alpkit Hunka bivy works well, but is still not the best choice when you expect rain or snowfall.

I even got a Alpkit Rig7 tarp recently, but it remains to be tested. It should provide a good light solution (with a small bug nest) outside the worst bug period.

#9 ·
One is a Tarp tent "Scarp II" in both 3 and 4 season configurations, one is a pure bug / flyproof tent with just enough room for one, no name cheapy that wieghs about 500 grams, my expidition tent is a Wilderness Equipment "First Arrow" That tent has withstood 100 Km/hr winds, it has snow / rock flaps but it weighs in at 4KG!! Mine is not the light weight version!! It suffers from condensate a bit in some conditions but when the wind is sreamin' and even snowmen freeze outside, who cares..... :D

Be aware, if you hit the road and use an ultralight tent every night in all conditions, you'll only get about 400 nights out of it prior to it starting to leak / tear at stress points. That's the payoff for UL gear.

Love them all and use them appropiately.

Al

#11 ·
Cool stuff, peeps. TFPU.

No shelter for short, bug-free trips
Ground sheet/small tarp for squall protection on shorter trips without bugs
Black Diamond Bipod bivy for solo with bug or weather potential
? for two people with bug or weather potential (leaning toward Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2)

Some trips are short enough to pick the lightest shelter (or none) using the forecast. Past a week it seems to get murky, and that's when I want absolute storm protection I/we could wait out a multi-day windy deluge in (and keep down bags dry).

Mike

#15 ·
Big Agnes Fly Creek?

? for two people with bug or weather potential (leaning toward Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2)
Anyone using the Big Agnes Fly Creek tents? Very light with ability to use with just the fly and footprint too. With the wicked bugs in the Michigan summers, I can't survive with a tarp so the enclosed tent is a must have. It's time to relegate my Eureka Dome to car camping and lighten my load.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.