Shelters

Printable View

  • 02-14-2012
    random walk
    Shelters
    Didn't want to hijack the hammock thread.

    In addition to fairly heavy 2-person backpacking tents, which I will probably never use bikepacking, I have:

    - Integral Designs BugaBivy
    - The Yama 1.25 Bug Shelter (used to be Alpinlite). Don't have the fitted tarp for it.

    I use a sheet of Tyvek as ground cover. You can get pre-cut sheets here, or if you know someone in construction maybe you can get free scraps.

    Whatcha got?
  • 02-14-2012
    random walk
    I'd love to make one of these for better protection:

    Make an Ultralight Tent/Tarp 1/3
  • 02-14-2012
    TobyGadd
    Marmot Alpinist bivy when the bugs are scarce. Sierra Designs Diodora when they aren't,
  • 02-14-2012
    Outsider
    For the bug period a two-person Tarptent Double Rainbow works well. It is not heavy for the space and shelter it provides.


    Outside the bug season a Alpkit Hunka bivy works well, but is still not the best choice when you expect rain or snowfall.


    I even got a Alpkit Rig7 tarp recently, but it remains to be tested. It should provide a good light solution (with a small bug nest) outside the worst bug period.
  • 02-14-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Speer hammock, extra-long, since i'm tall. It's 2 layers of 1.1 oz ripstop. A tarp with catenary cut edges and ridgeline. Closed cell pad in the hammock when the weather is cool. My ropes are heavy, so the whole rig isn't exactly lightweight, but it's lighter than a livable tent.
  • 02-14-2012
    Harold
    In addition to the hammock setup I described in the hammock thread, I have a Shires Cloudburst 2. It could stand to be a little taller at the opening so I could sit up more comfortably, but I like the footprint size of this shelter.
  • 02-14-2012
    Montana Rider
    Six Moon Designs - Wild Oasis

    used on this (now closed to MTB) overnight and a few other shakedown overnights.

    Would like to try some multi-day trips.

    http://forums.mtbr.com/passion/galla...mt-561715.html
  • 02-14-2012
    SlowerThenSnot
    1 Attachment(s)
    e-wing
    love this little msr, added a coat of spray on waterproofer
  • 02-15-2012
    alanm
    One is a Tarp tent "Scarp II" in both 3 and 4 season configurations, one is a pure bug / flyproof tent with just enough room for one, no name cheapy that wieghs about 500 grams, my expidition tent is a Wilderness Equipment "First Arrow" That tent has withstood 100 Km/hr winds, it has snow / rock flaps but it weighs in at 4KG!! Mine is not the light weight version!! It suffers from condensate a bit in some conditions but when the wind is sreamin' and even snowmen freeze outside, who cares..... :D

    Be aware, if you hit the road and use an ultralight tent every night in all conditions, you'll only get about 400 nights out of it prior to it starting to leak / tear at stress points. That's the payoff for UL gear.

    Love them all and use them appropiately.

    Al
  • 02-15-2012
    steelisreal4130
    http://www.topeak.com/mediafiles/products/4256/

    just saw this little nugget the other day. seems like a cool idea. i wonder how it actually works.
  • 02-15-2012
    She&I
    Cool stuff, peeps. TFPU.

    No shelter for short, bug-free trips
    Ground sheet/small tarp for squall protection on shorter trips without bugs
    Black Diamond Bipod bivy for solo with bug or weather potential
    ? for two people with bug or weather potential (leaning toward Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2)

    Some trips are short enough to pick the lightest shelter (or none) using the forecast. Past a week it seems to get murky, and that's when I want absolute storm protection I/we could wait out a multi-day windy deluge in (and keep down bags dry).

    Mike
  • 02-15-2012
    Rockin
    For bugs/wet I use my modded Wenzel Starlight (about 1.6 pounds).
  • 02-15-2012
    baker
    I have a Golite Shangri-La 2 that works pretty well. Spacious for 1 person, acceptable for 2.


    Ring the Peak bikepacking trip by bbaker22, on Flickr
  • 02-15-2012
    12wheels
    1 Attachment(s)
    I use a tarp and homemade Six Moon Designs Meteor bivy.
  • 02-15-2012
    funkydrum
    Big Agnes Fly Creek?
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    ? for two people with bug or weather potential (leaning toward Big Agnes Fly Creek UL2)

    Anyone using the Big Agnes Fly Creek tents? Very light with ability to use with just the fly and footprint too. With the wicked bugs in the Michigan summers, I can't survive with a tarp so the enclosed tent is a must have. It's time to relegate my Eureka Dome to car camping and lighten my load.
  • 02-15-2012
    jmmUT
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by funkydrum View Post
    Anyone using the Big Agnes Fly Creek tents? Very light with ability to use with just the fly and footprint too. With the wicked bugs in the Michigan summers, I can't survive with a tarp so the enclosed tent is a must have. It's time to relegate my Eureka Dome to car camping and lighten my load.

    Can't speak for the Fly Creek specifically, but I have the Seedhouse SL 1 person which is very similar. I really like it. It's bordering on tight for a typically sized adult male and 50 pound dog with gear. I've been through bad weather and it held just fine. Mine is not the lightest out there but still pretty light and small. But it's a bit over designed in my opinion. Specifically, it's designed with more stakes than it should be but I think that adds to the bombproofness of it. Big Agnes is an awesome company and make all sorts of good stuff.
  • 02-21-2012
    bmike

    IMAG4271 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

    tarptent contrail for me.
    also have a hennesy hammock... but the TT is ligther and packs smaller.
  • 02-21-2012
    SuPrBuGmAn
    I bought a $45 cheapo Bass Pro Shop brand(surely rebranded) 1 man tent. I've only used it in good weather so far, but it works :)

  • 03-12-2012
    hitek
    This will be my first year of trying out bikepacking. I bought a Black Diamond Bipod Bivy for the days of foul weather. If no threat of weather sleeping under the stars.
  • 03-13-2012
    Crimargia
    Hilleberg Akto or Wechsel Pathfinder ZG :thumbsup:

    m, from
    2SoulsCycles
  • 03-13-2012
    Crimargia
    Hilleberg Rajd:

    "A hybrid shelter that blends tarp and tent qualities into a simple, versatile superlight package"

    m
  • 03-14-2012
    J-No
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by bmike View Post

    IMAG4271 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

    tarptent contrail for me.
    also have a hennesy hammock... but the TT is ligther and packs smaller.

    I like the TT. I am thinking about getting the squall 2 with the idea it may be more versatile for taking the oldest child with me.
  • 03-19-2012
    bikerider2
    I used an MSR Eos 1p for a six day trip through Chile recently. Great tent for multiple day, but at 3 lbs to heavy for shorter trips. I'll either use a bivy or tarp for shorter trips.
  • 03-19-2012
    bmike
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by J-No View Post
    I like the TT. I am thinking about getting the squall 2 with the idea it may be more versatile for taking the oldest child with me.

    my 4 year old and i can fit in the Contrail.
    definitely get something larger if you plan to use it for family stuff.

    we have an old EMS Simoon that can more comfortably fit us - but it is heavy.
  • 03-29-2012
    PretendGentleman
    2 Attachment(s)
    I just use a tarp above my hammock as my shelter. Works awesome and you can find one at any hardware store or mart store. Even in horizontal rain I stay dry on my thermarest inside the hammock, while my bike stays sorta dry beneath me.
  • 04-08-2012
    thesergeant
    My last trip i hauled a Bob Trailer and brought my REI Quarterdome T2. Weighs about 4lbs packed and was very spacious. For my next trip I'm going to use soft bags exclusively so I wanted something lighter and more compact. I was going to go for a Bivy/Tarp combo but have found hammocks way more comfortable. Hammock with suspension weighs ~10oz. / Tarp with rigging weighs another ~10oz.



  • 04-09-2012
    cbk1984
    ^ Nice setup. I like the idea of hammocks.
  • 04-09-2012
    Bill in Houston
    what is a gt nano-7 with 7/64 amsteel whoopies? and how about 1.75mm dyneema asrl?
  • 04-09-2012
    thesergeant
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    what is a gt nano-7 with 7/64 amsteel whoopies? and how about 1.75mm dyneema asrl?

    gt nano-7 is a "Grand Trunk Nano-7" hammock. I'm probably going to upsize to a larger hammock though. The dimensions are a little small even for me at 5'8". I'm going to sew my own but there are other options like the "weight weenie" from Butt in a Sling Hammock Gear - Gear.

    7/64 amsteel whoopies refer to the adjustable lines that connect the hammock to the tree straps (Samson-The Strongest Name in Rope, AMSTEEL-BLUE) It's super light, 7/64" in diameter and has a breaking strength of like 1,400 lbs. Google Whoopie slings to see how they work.

    ASRL = adjustable structural ridgeline. It's the thin line above the hammock that adjusts the sag so you can change the way the hammock feels.
  • 04-09-2012
    Bill in Houston
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thesergeant View Post
    gt nano-7 is a "Grand Trunk Nano-7" hammock. I'm probably going to upsize to a larger hammock though. The dimensions are a little small even for me at 5'8".

    I made my hammock really long so it would be more comfortable. Best part of making your own stuff!

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thesergeant View Post
    7/64 amsteel whoopies refer to the adjustable lines that connect the hammock to the tree straps (Samson-The Strongest Name in Rope, AMSTEEL-BLUE) It's super light, 7/64" in diameter and has a breaking strength of like 1,400 lbs. Google Whoopie slings to see how they work.

    Interesting. I just tie knots. But your stuff ought to be very light.

    Quote:

    Originally Posted by thesergeant View Post
    ASRL = adjustable structural ridgeline. It's the thin line above the hammock that adjusts the sag so you can change the way the hammock feels.

    Ah, yeah. I have never tried one of those. I like my hammock pretty flat. The asrl would also make it easier to add bug netting, I reckon, a la hennesey et al.

    Thanks for the answers!
  • 04-09-2012
    neil.beltchenko
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by baker View Post
    I have a Golite Shangri-La 2 that works pretty well. Spacious for 1 person, acceptable for 2.


    Ring the Peak bikepacking trip by bbaker22, on Flickr

    what did you use for poles? did it come with some or is it meant for treking pols??
  • 04-10-2012
    Loudpawlz
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by neil.beltchenko View Post
    what did you use for poles? did it come with some or is it meant for treking pols??

    Easiest set up is with poles (trekking poles or tent poles). It is also designed so that once you stake out the corners you can suspend the shelter by tying off to a tree branch or something overhead. I've seen people use sticks for similar shelters.

    I built a set of tent poles for mine. I added a rubber cover for the end that meets the tent and a large washer that fits over the bottom to prevent it from slowly sinking into the ground.
  • 04-10-2012
    neil.beltchenko
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by Loudpawlz View Post
    Easiest set up is with poles (trekking poles or tent poles). It is also designed so that once you stake out the corners you can suspend the shelter by tying off to a tree branch or something overhead. I've seen people use sticks for similar shelters.

    I built a set of tent poles for mine. I added a rubber cover for the end that meets the tent and a large washer that fits over the bottom to prevent it from slowly sinking into the ground.

    I suppose i could do the same with the Beta Light by Blackdiamond? its lighter and cheaper? would you know what the sl2 has that the beta does not??
  • 04-10-2012
    baker
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by neil.beltchenko View Post
    what did you use for poles? did it come with some or is it meant for treking pols??

    I bought poles from somewhere (wish I could remember where) that specializes in lightweight tarptent poles. The tent can be pitched by stringing it up to a tree, but I'm too lazy for that and in Colorado we aren't guaranteed to have suitable trees near treeline.

    Oh yeah, trekking poles would work great, but I don't carry those when I ride (or hike).
  • 04-15-2012
    curtboroff
    Gonna do my first bikepack this summer. Road/trail around southeast Ohio for a week. I'm not sure yet but my two choices are my surplus gore-tex bivy and a tarp, or my Sierra Designs clip flashlight2. The tent packs at about 4.5lbs, but the bugs in Ohio are relentless so I'm thinking tent.
  • 04-15-2012
    Bill in Houston
    You will want something with good air circulation. the tarp with a bug net hung inside it might work well, or the tent. It seems to me that the bivy would be way too hot. But you know your equipment and conditions better than I do.
  • 04-15-2012
    bikebeard
    I use a Wenzel Starlite tent. Lightweight for what it is. I have tested it in a week long wind and rain storm in my backyard and it held up like a champ. I expected to have to add waterproofing but I dont see a reason to at this point. It straps to the hoods on my woodchipper bars like it was made for them.
  • 04-16-2012
    INABIL
    I've got a Slumberjack Summer Bivy Shelter, 38"x90"x24", carry weight: 2lbs 8 oz, SJK7157. I used it when I rode to Florida. It handled down poors pretty good and I wouldn't hesitate to use it in the Winter. It has a screen top to keep the bugs out and a tarp for when it rains.

    I always like seeing pictures but I can't figure out how to post the pictures from my computer.
  • 04-17-2012
    driftwood
    I use a 5'x8' piece of Tyvek I've outfitted with 6 grommets. Light and cheap!
  • 04-17-2012
    curtboroff
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by curtboroff View Post
    Gonna do my first bikepack this summer. Road/trail around southeast Ohio for a week. I'm not sure yet but my two choices are my surplus gore-tex bivy and a tarp, or my Sierra Designs clip flashlight2. The tent packs at about 4.5lbs, but the bugs in Ohio are relentless so I'm thinking tent.

    @Billinhouston. You're right about the bivy sacks, no circulation. I usually use it as a ground cloth if the weather let's me.

    Also, I just weighed my tent/fly/poles/stakes/groundcloth and it weighed 3.2lbs. Over a pound lighter than I guessed, and weighs the same as the tarp/bivy sack.
    Tent FTW.
  • 04-21-2012
    YukonLT
    Warbonnet Blackbird DL 1.1, Warbonnet Superfly tarp, HammockGear phoenix under quilt, HammockGear burrow top quilt. I sleep like a rock :)
  • 04-29-2012
    g0shj0sh10
    thesergeant that hammock thing is sweet
  • 05-13-2012
    bdstorer


    I use a Black Diamond Tripod Bivy. Super warm, perfect for Autumn/Winter/early Spring.. not so good in Summer.
  • 05-14-2012
    She&I
    bds, I'm thinking you mean Bipod. The Tripod has a pole at the foot. Maybe a tad overkill for summer weather, but the respite from skeets is worth a few ounces extra IMO. My Bipod shined on two trips, and is in the queue for another outing this summer.

    People are grooving hard on hammocks. To each his own. I just can't imagine trying to find two perfectly-spaced trees every time I need a few winks. To me part of the beauty self contained multi-day riding is the quick stealth bivy, or running out the light (or energy) and bivying right TF where you end up. Someone saw a pic of one of my bivies and commented "grim!" Haha...

    Mike
  • 06-02-2012
    liricooli
    Sleeping Pad Suggestions
    Hi,
    Are there any Recommandations on small and light sleeping pads ?
  • 06-02-2012
    thesergeant
    The Pacific Outdoor Equipment Peak Elite AC Sleeping Pad simply cannot be beat for the price, weight and volume. Full length, 2.5", 10 oz, rolls up super small.

    POE Peak Elite AC Sleeping Pad Review - YouTube
  • 06-02-2012
    liricooli
    seems good but have read some bad reviews... any issues with it as i´m gonna take it along the great divide and wouldn´t want any reliabilty issues.
  • 06-02-2012
    thesergeant
    Quote:

    Originally Posted by liricooli View Post
    seems good but have read some bad reviews... any issues with it as i´m gonna take it along the great divide and wouldn´t want any reliabilty issues.

    I wouldn't worry about it. Probably a batch issue, if that. I slept on mine for more than 2 weeks straight on my last trip with out a single problem. When I first got it, I inflated it fully, put it in the corner of the room, filled up a couple backpacks full of random stuff and laid it across the mattress. Checked it every now and then to make sure there weren't any slow leaks. Couple days later -- no pressure loss -- so I knew I was good to go. My fiance thought I was nuts but I'd rather found out about a slow leak at home where I can find it and patch it that a few days into a trip.
  • 06-02-2012
    liricooli
    Great Idea! would do just the same..
  • 06-20-2012
    kdirk
    Im going to put more grommets in this thing so that I can cover my hammock from 'biner to 'biner, but this is essentially what I have