Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shelters

113K views 171 replies 89 participants last post by  MKCBrown93 
#1 ·
Didn't want to hijack the hammock thread.

In addition to fairly heavy 2-person backpacking tents, which I will probably never use bikepacking, I have:

- Integral Designs BugaBivy
- The Yama 1.25 Bug Shelter (used to be Alpinlite). Don't have the fitted tarp for it.

I use a sheet of Tyvek as ground cover. You can get pre-cut sheets here, or if you know someone in construction maybe you can get free scraps.

Whatcha got?

#145 ·
When bugs aren't an issue, but I want more weather protection than a bivy, the Mountainsmith 'Mountain Shelter LT' is a great little floorless tent, with comfortable living space for two:

Info: Mountainsmith Mountain Shelter LT

Also just picked up a Mountain Hardwear 'SuperMega UL 2" tent - just over 2lbs. Will be putting it to use soon, and post more thoughts then.

Info: SuperMegaUL? 2 | MountainHardwear.com

#147 ·
I said I would update after using the Mtn Hardwear Super Mega UL (silliest tent name ever?), and now that I've used it on several trips I can say that it has served me well, especially during our early summer bug season. It's a spacious tent for one, or a cozy tent for two, coming in at 2.1lbs (actual wt). So far it has proven to be durable, even though the fabric feels pretty delicate, but I'm also pretty careful with my gear and where I set up my tent, when possible.

Enough about that tent, as I much prefer other options as soon as we reach that point in the season where bug netting isn't needed. For the last several trips, I've just been using an Outdoor Research 'Helium' bivy, and it works great. It has a very lightweight pole to keep the fabric off my face, and bug netting if/when needed. For mild weather trips, it's a great option. 1.2lbs (actual wt.)

My mixed feelings about hammocks continue. I took a Dutchware hammock with a Hammock Gear underquilt on my last trip, and I still think I sleep better (and warmer) on the ground.

Gettin ready for a 3-day trip coming up this weekend, which we are expecting to have a fair bit of steep singletrack and HAB. I think the Better Half and I are just going to take a 8'x10' silnylon tarp (made by Etowah Outfitters) to keep things as light as possible. I've got a carbon pole ordered for it from Mountain Laurel, but not sure if it will get here in time. If it doesn't, I'll take the MSR alloy adjustable pole we have, or not take a pole at all and just improvise along the way. I've spent a lot of time under tarps, and they are still one of my favorite, and most versatile, ways to go.

#148 ·

My UL tent is a BA Fly Creek UL1. Nice tent at ~2lbs. That said I wanted to play around with an even lighter more compact shelter since summer is pretty dry around here and for shorter trips it's not hard to plan around serious rain systems so all I really need is a way to stay dry for light rain or the unexpected localized storm.

I tried using a 8' x 5' sil tarp and it worked fine. The size is just big enough for this purpose and a 8' x 10' tarp would be better, but I used what I had.

A lot of the time I won't even need to pull the tarp out.

But when the rain comes one day earlier than planned on a trip it's nice to have a quick way to sleep dry.

One of these days I'll get a bigger cuben fibre tarp so I don't have to be so careful how I set everything up.

#149 ·
Yeah, with some creativity, there are so many different ways to set up a tarp. It really is the best combination of lightweight versatility I know if. I've spent some rainy days in a bivy and it's not fun - my bivy is largely relegated to trips where I'm not really expecting much moisture, but want something 'just in case.' At least if you're stuck under a tarp in the rain, you can sit up and move around, cook a meal, etc. and not feel trapped in a nylon cocoon.

FYI - the Etowah 8'x10' tarp weighs 1.1lb with guylines, w/o pole or stakes. With 6 Ti stakes and a 42" carbon pole, it comes in at 1.3lbs. :thumbsup:

#150 ·
I recently bought a Nemo "Apollo" pyramid tent.

I've owned a variety of pyramid tents over the years and spent a lot of time in them (an original Megamid, MH Kiva, Seek Outside, etc), and I've always liked what they offer - a simple, stable and lightweight option with increased usable space over of a tent of comparable weight, and more weather-proofness than a tarp. As soon as our short-lived bug season is done, I'd much rather use a tarp or a pyramid-style tent. For winter camping as well, I love the no-floor option for a variety of reasons.

The Apollo is the perfect size for two people and some gear, and it is definitely lightweight and packs small. The tent body weighs 1.3lbs (.5kg) with the stuff sack and cord guylines. I have ordered a carbon pole from ZPacks to replace the adjustable aluminum pole that comes with the tent. The 52" carbon pole weighs 1.9oz.

While there are a variety of even lighter, higher-tech fabric pyramid tents out there these days, most of them are twice as expensive for not much more weight savings than the Apollo already offers.

I'll post more thoughts after using the Apollo on some trips this Fall. :thumbsup:

#155 ·
I picked up the Apollo as well. Had it along for a 3 day trip a couple weeks ago and loved it. Nighttime lows were in the 20 degree F range, with some snow, some freezing rain, and mild winds. Stayed warm and dry and even kept the bike out of the elements. It's my first "tepee-style" tent. I really like it so far.

#151 ·
^That looks like a great simple pyramid. My Mega Light pyramid tent weighs in at 1.5 lbs. without the pole. I feel a little over sheltered for most conditions here in the SW, but not much weight penalty. Normally I don't pitch it, but just have it laying next to me to pull over for a typical 5 minute shower. The ability to pitch it high can be very useful.

If clear skies are expected, I sometimes just take the fly from my old 3 man Orion tent to pull over me for a freak thundershower, gust of wind, the odd pesky bug.

#153 ·
After a few trips with the Nemo Apollo I can post a few thoughts:

- Take the pole out of the equation and this is an impressively light, packable shelter option. The stock, alloy pole weighs a 1/2lb. Do yourself a favor and order a 52" carbon pole from Z-Packs which weighs barely anything and is plenty stiff enough to serve for a tipi-style central pole like this.

- It's billed as a 3-person shelter, but it would take a pretty dire situation before I would ever want to cram 3 people into the Nemo. I wouldn't consider it a 3-person shelter, but it is a great option for 1-2 people.

- With the carbon pole and 6 ti stakes, the Apollo doesn't weigh much more than my OR Helium bivy, but offers a far more shelter if you really have to hunker in some weather. For a few extra ounces, I'd definitely choose the Apollo in most cases.

#154 ·
You all should try the Tarptent Rainbow. Less than two pounds. Sets up in about two minutes without even trying. Huge interior space for one-person tent. You can sit up and change in it.

It has a full bathtub floor, too.

I had the Protrail which was nice but getting in and out was difficult and, while it wasn't as small as a bivy, interior space was limited.

#156 ·
I have three shelters: a Golite Hut 2, a Guide Gear 12x12 tarp and an older Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2p

The Golite is very light and accommodates a cozy 2. You can support it from trees or use a pole. I have taken to bringing some old poles from another former tent that fit nicely in my frame bag. The issue I have had is condensation. Especially with 2. The trick is to not stake the sides all the way to the ground to get some ventilation. And I usually keep the door open. Not ideal in wet weather but I like the design and it is cuben fiber so super light and strong.

The Guide Gear tarp is awesome. It is impregnated nylon so not as light as cuben. It was around $50 I think and comfortably covers 2. I did need to seal the seams but I have survived snow, rain and sleet without issue. I like the range of setup options. They sew the longest seam on the diagonal so I just secure the opposite corners and then finish out however I want based on conditions. I have never had condensation issues.

Last year I picked up a great condition Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2 for $75. This is the older model. Weighs 3lbs which is perfect if sharing - split the weight between you at a respectable 1.5lbs. For colder weather, it can't be beat. Plus you get a little vestibule for gear. I really love this tent for shoulder month camping. It is pretty tight for two bigger guys, but serviceable.

The Guide Gear tarp is the least sexy but most tried and true of the bunch when you factor weight and cost. I use a tyvek groundcloth for this and the Golite. It is cheap and tough but also very slippery. I painted it with diluted silicone to give it some stick, but this was only moderately successful. Thinking of sewing some straps to secure to my sleeping pad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#157 · (Edited)
Was planning on using my Apollo 3P for a big trip next year, but I got really nervous about buggier climes, especially through Alaska and Canada. My other tent was a Nemo Galaxi 2P, which is a fantastic tent, but pushing 5.5 -6 lbs with footprint. Super liveable and durable as hell, but heavy. Just received a Copper Spur 2P Platinum, which is very comfortable and a good bit under 3 lbs, but damn, the materials seem awfully delicate. Anyone have any experience with the CS or Fly Creek Platinum versions? I can't decide whether to give it a shot or just send it back.

Update: decided to send it back. Seems like it'd be a great tent for grassy, open sites, but for rougher conditions and stealthy sites, I can't imagine it not getting shredded.

#158 ·
Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo - Great, light tent for solo bikepacking

I've been out on several trips with my Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. It's currently my favorite out of a collection that includes a Big Agnes FlyCreek UL1, a Marmot Tungsten UL1, a NatureHike CloudUp, and several inexpensive dome tents.

The tent weighs an amazing 30 ounces (858 g) with titanium shepherd stakes and the optional Easton Carbon pole.

It's a single-wall tent with a bathtub floor. However there's a net gap between the tub floor and walls that helps reduce condensation. There's a spacious vestibule. However the tent is so spacious, you can store most everything inside. It's actually billed as a 1.5 person tent and it is significantly more spacious than my FlyCreek. I can sit up fully - something I can do in the FlyCreek. And its so wide I can store my backpack and gear inside the tent (again - just try that with the FlyCreek!).

https://www.sixmoondesigns.com/products/lunar-solo

Sadly, this is not a freestanding tent so be prepared to stake it out. It also has a learning curve to pitch. My first few times left me scratching my head. It also needs to be seam sealed - although you can pay extra and have Six Moons Designs do it when you order.

Nature Vegetation Tent Camping Natural environment

Tent Nature Vegetation Camping Natural environment

Tent Camping Natural environment Green Recreation

Nature Tent Green Natural environment Camping

Tent Green Natural environment Camping Leaf

#162 ·
I know this is popular on hunting forums but jimmy tarps has an amazing ultralight floorless selection

He sells on eBay and facebook lots of reviews on his products.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I won't touch a floorless tent/tarp. Period. Fully enclosed with bug netting or I don't go out. Not interested in being eaten alive while I try to sleep. I would rather use a bivy than be without bug netting.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk

#169 ·
Greetings,

This is my second season bikepacking. I’m in Idaho area, have expanded out to Washington and Oregon for trips. My shelter is the Nemo hornet elite 2p. It’s a great tent. Bug proof, rock solid in storms, packs down nice. I’d call it freestanding-ish. You have to stake it to get full volume and vestibules. Speaking of, tent has two entries/vestibules. So it’s super open. 2p is a stretch though. I solo it and it’s perfect. The materials are soooo light it feels flimsy but is actually durable. I’ve gotten one 1/2 inch cut in the floor ( I don’t use a footprint) otherwise has held up on dozens of uses.

So for what’s currently out there I’d recommend it. One of the lightest small 2p’s, great features, and performance.

#170 ·
Between the wife and I we've got a small arsenal of shelters, from ground sheets converted to use as solo tarps, to actual 9' x 9' tarps, to a 4 person HMG mid, and including a few 4-season bombproof mountaineering tents.

Specific to this thread, the one we seem to use the most for 3-season bikepacking is the HMG Dirigo.

Smaller and lighter than anything else I've seen to date. Palatial for one, cozy for two. Bathtub floor, full bug netting, 2 covered vestibules, super, super easy to pitch. Can be run with doors zipped open for cross breeze without letting any bugs in. On river trips we leave the poles at home and use our breakdown paddle instead.

Total keeper.

Attachments

#171 ·
Still trying to figure out what will be the best investment over the seasons and terrain I ride; would like to step up to an UL tent, but not ready to pull the trigger.

Here's a tarp-shelter I made for a bike-packing race in May. Tyvek sheet, Gorilla tape and eyelets for the stakes and pole-tip:
Tent Leaf Style Tints and shades Sunlight

Total weight of tarp, sleeping pad, stakes and the bottom 2/3 of a hiking pole (total cost ~$100):
Grey Baggage Plastic Circle Silver

Mounted to the underside of the downtube:
Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel Bicycle tire

Still trying to coordinate removing the hiking pole from its Velcro straps on the downtube while riding as it should be an effective deterrent for the dogs that have chased me. Wasn't quick enough last time :madmax:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.