Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Shelters

113K views 171 replies 89 participants last post by  MKCBrown93 
#1 ·
Didn't want to hijack the hammock thread.

In addition to fairly heavy 2-person backpacking tents, which I will probably never use bikepacking, I have:

- Integral Designs BugaBivy
- The Yama 1.25 Bug Shelter (used to be Alpinlite). Don't have the fitted tarp for it.

I use a sheet of Tyvek as ground cover. You can get pre-cut sheets here, or if you know someone in construction maybe you can get free scraps.

Whatcha got?

#108 ·
Does anyone have any experience with the Black Diamond Vista tent? Looking at the specifications, it doesn't "seem" that bad? Was looking at the BD Fitzroy tent, but it's 1 lbs heavier than the Vista tent.

DB Vista Specifications:

Series : Doublelight Series
Season : 3
Capacity : 3
Doors : 2
Average Packed Weight : 2.94 kg, 6 lb 8 oz
Minimum Weight : 2.70 kg, 5 lb 15 oz
Dimensions : 244 x 218 x 168 x 117 cm, 96 x 86 x 66 x 46 in
Area : 4.7 m², 50.7 sq ft
Vestibule Area : 0.8 + 0.8 m², 9 + 9 sq ft
Packed Size : 20 x 48 cm, 8 x 19 in

#109 ·
Update on TT Moment strut mod...

I just modified my Moment struts in order to make them easier to install. I mentioned the plan last fall (post #76 of this thread if you want the backstory), but just now got around to trying it. I haven`t field tested this yet, and probably won`t get to that until late April, but it works just fine in my living room ( :D ) and I don`t expect any complications elsewhere.

First off, the struts do seem to be arrow shafting. I brought one down to an archery shop and bought four plastic nochs to fit it for a little under a buck per. They just push into the end of the shaft, no glue needed (see first pic).

I cut the forked end off each noch and turned the outside down to slightly smaller than the OD of the shafts, then rounded them all into a nice bullet shape (second pic). Since the nochs add about 7/16 to the length of each strut, I had to chop a half inch from one end with a cut off wheel in a Dremel. The result is that they are much easier to push in. I had been a little bit concerned that when removing them the bullets might pull out and I`d have a hell of a time working them all the way back out of the long pocket, but that didn`t turn out to be an issue. They fit tightly, and the webbing doesn`t really try all that hard to hang on to them.

I turned the nochs on a lathe (w/ 6mm collet), since I happen to have one available. With a little more time and patience invested, I`m sure you could pull it off with a file or a sharp knife. Or if you REALLY aren`t in a hurry, or dread slicing your finger while trying to whittle the tiny boogers down with a razor blade, I`m willing to turn them down for anybody who wants a set in exchange for just the cost of parts and the postage, which would probably total about $6.

Attachments

#113 ·
Do you have a design for this bugnet? I'm recently getting into the hammock camping and am financially confined to DIY. I did buy a bias camper hammock. Also got a camo poly tarp I use. Wish I could afford lightweight but I have an ss29er build I'm right in the middle of. Ill be making an INsultext underquilt I found instructions for at backyard daydreamer. Unfortunately they're out of noseeum mesh but I'm sure there are other vendors. Would like to get a bugnet going.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#114 ·
Shelter Review: Black Diamond Mesa Tent + Ground Cloth​

Technical Specs:
From the Black Diamond Website said:
Tent: Black Diamond Mesa Tent
Series : Doublelight Series
Season : 3
Capacity : 2
Doors : 2
Average Packed Weight : 2.32 kg, 5 lb 2 oz
Minimum Weight : 2.08 kg, 4 lb 9 oz
Dimensions : 234 x 147 x 112 x 112 cm, 92 x 58 x 44 x 44 in
Area : 3.0 m², 32.5 sq ft
Vestibule Area : 0.8 + 0.8 m², 9 + 9 sq ft
Packed Size : 20 x 48 cm, 8 x 19 in
Cost: $329.95

Ground Cloth: Black Diamond Mesa Tent Ground Cloth
Average Ground Cloth Weight : 275 g, 10 oz
Cost: $44.95
The first thing I noticed about the tent, was that it packed up fairly small. The packed size, length-wise, is about the same length as my handle-bars.. so if I attached it to them, it wouldn't be a problem. The next thing is the speed of the set up. It is insanely easy. Steps to set up:

- Put down the ground cloth (the sides have "color-coded" straps, 2x orange, 2x black). Set down the tent, with the sides matching, orange to orange, black to black. All of the straps have a cone shaped gromet hole in the middle, and a plastic quick-release buckle. Once the tent is down, then comes out the poles. These are all attached by a vinyl / nylon stretch cord, and in the middle is a star-shaped center peice, this has a bolt-looking thing that goes towards the tent.

- Once the poles are layed down, the ends go through the gromets, and once bowed out, they self-lock. The center of the tent has a U bolt thing that attaches to the center peice of the poles. Each side of the tent has 2 clamps that snap onto the poles. This gives the tent its form.

- Then the tarp goes over the tent (not necessary, but protects against wind / rain). The corners of the tarp has quick releases that attach to the ground cloth. The corners and sides of the tarp are then staked down

So, the pro's:

- Fairly light.. its not the lightest tent, but it isn't heavy by any means
- Packs small.. again, its not exactly a hammock, but there are plenty of ways to mount to the bike
- Protects against the elements
- Easy to set up, especially after a long day's ride
- Multiple set-ups (ground cloth + tarp, tarp only, ground cloth + tent, ground cloth, tent, tarp, ground cloth only)
- It's designed for 3-season, mountain terrain.. so it can hold up in high winds (or should, at least.. I can't test this)
- Plenty of room to store your gear if your solo

And the con's:
- A bit pricey
- The tent needs to have the ground cloth, the bottom has 0 protection against the terrain
- The tarp vestibules could be a bit bigger / longer imo.
- The tarp is bright-ass orange. Not condusive to stealth-camping.

#115 ·
don't know if this has been mentioned previously in the thread, but i've gotta put the big agnes fly creek ul 2 out there as an awesome, two wall, free standing tent. it weighs less than three pounds with foot print and can be set up as a tarp shelter with said footprint if you want to go super minimal. i used it on a bike camping trip last week and it was perfect. i was able to strap the tent, sleeping bag, and sleeping pad to my handlebars with a revelate designs harness and a sea to summit dry compression sack, perfect set up, espeically with drop bars.

#117 ·
So, I have been using a tarp mainly when bikepacking. Nothing fancy, just a utility tarp from a home improvement store. I like it because I can set it up in so many different ways and I appreciate the simplicity.

But, the thing is still pretty bulky and on the heavy side and so I have been looking at other tarp material options. I find the special camping tarps like those made of silnylon are out of my price range and so have been contemplating cheaper choices.

Does anyone here have experience with using Tyvek as a camping tarp? I know its a common groundcloth and plenty of folks on ebay or in other camping forums have talked about its use as a sleeping tarp or even DIY bivy, but I have not really heard much first hand experience with it out in the field.

I have my eye on a 10'X10' with grommet attachments but before I pull the trigger was hoping to hear some feedback. I know its very noisy but that if you run it through the gentle cycle and drip dry, it becomes softer and more tolerable.

What else? How small does it really pack and how much lighter is it than a utility tarp? Is it really waterproof in a rainstorm? Does it last? Any feedback is appreciated!

#121 ·
So, I have been using a tarp mainly when bikepacking. Nothing fancy, just a utility tarp from a home improvement store. I like it because I can set it up in so many different ways and I appreciate the simplicity.

But, the thing is still pretty bulky and on the heavy side and so I have been looking at other tarp material options. I find the special camping tarps like those made of silnylon are out of my price range and so have been contemplating cheaper choices.

Does anyone here have experience with using Tyvek as a camping tarp? I know its a common groundcloth and plenty of folks on ebay or in other camping forums have talked about its use as a sleeping tarp or even DIY bivy, but I have not really heard much first hand experience with it out in the field.

I have my eye on a 10'X10' with grommet attachments but before I pull the trigger was hoping to hear some feedback. I know its very noisy but that if you run it through the gentle cycle and drip dry, it becomes softer and more tolerable.

What else? How small does it really pack and how much lighter is it than a utility tarp? Is it really waterproof in a rainstorm? Does it last? Any feedback is appreciated!
Tyvek is neat stuff. But...

It isn't all that cheap. It is heavy. It is noisy. It does not last long. It makes a lousy ground sheet.

If you really want to try it, go ahead. Tie little rocks in the corners to make pull-outs. Write on it with sharpie markers to dress it up. Rub red clay into it to give it some character. I have even painted it with latex paint to make it more colorful and durable.

Let us know how it works for you.

#122 ·
Re: Tarps

Check out this thread in backpackinglight.com about using polycro a.k.a. patio door insulation film. Rain-tested in the PNW.

Gossamer Gear sells polycro ground cloth as either a single 6'x8' sheet or a pair of 3.3'x8' sheets for $9-10. The single sheet may be big enough for a tarp.

#123 ·
After much hemming an hawing, I have decided to try out a Guide Guard tarp instead of the Tyvek. With shipping, I found one for $28 which was comparable to the Tyvek I was looking at through an e-bay vendor (for a 10' X 10' piece = $26 plus shipping). Here is the link to Bargain Outfitters which seems to have the best price on this. I got the 8.5' X 8.5' model. Plenty of tie-out points, including along the ridgeline for a variety of configurations. It gets good reviews from the ultralight backpacking folks for durability, too. Weighs in at 22oz.

Also planning to pick up some polycryo this weekend for a ground tarp. If I have any extra I may experiment with it for tarp applications. That was all pretty intriguing information though I didn't see a lot of field-tested reviews.

#125 ·
Found these gortex bivy's for $30 a piece at an army surplus.
Worked great on a recent two night bikepacking trip. Compress
nicely & 2lbs. Camo...can you see them?
yup I see them; and these are nice :) I plan on getting an Army Modular Sleep System that includes the bivy; and then see if I can score another army Poncho; so I can replace the torn one I have, and use it as a tarp/shelter.

#129 ·
Saw the 2-person, almost freestanding Dash 2 at REI (it needs to be staked out in the back). I liked it because it weighs 2lbs 7oz, has a door on each side, so each person gets a door and a tiny vestibule and a fair amount of headroom. Spendy, though, at $349.

Light fixture Lighting accessory Lamp Silver

I had a small North Face mesh tent that I used for many, many years. It kept me warm and dry (or cool and dry, depending), but twice in southeastern Utah, thunderstorms blew in and the intense winds ahead of the storms blew a rather amazing amount of fine sand/grit right through the mesh and into my hair and sleeping bag, even though the fly was buttoned down tight. So when using a mesh tent, this is one of the few drawbacks.
The whole hammock thing looks intriguing, but I sleep on my side and can't imagine how that would work in a hammock.

#130 ·
I liked it because it weighs 2lbs 7oz
That is the claimed weight based on tent, fly and poles, not necessarily the actual weight on the bike or trail. That is a claimed 1.33 kg which is still it is not a bad weight, assuming it is realistic, for what is claimed to be a two person tent. I be inclined think of this as more of as a nice lightweight spacey one person tent rather than a two, but I guess it comes down to who you are sharing with :)

Andrew

#146 ·
Good to know! I got us the Dash for Christmas. However, REI has pulled the plug on the Dash; apparently, some lucky people got them for outlet prices as they were selling them off. I have a feeling they are going with Big Agnes Fly Creek for the ultralight option.

#134 ·
I mostly cowboy camp under the stars or use a Zpacks 8x10 cuben fiber flat tarp. Packs down to about the size of a softball and weighs ~6oz. Plenty of coverage and lots of pitching options. I bring along some extra lengths of thin cord so I can tie off to surrounding trees, my bike, or whatever is available. Don't have to carry any poles.

If I'm expecting some real weather or plan to share a shelter with others, then I have an MLD Duomid, an MLD Trailstar and a Golite SL3 to choose from. All are a bit heavier/bulkier than the flat tarp, but all are still well under 2 lbs and offer excellent wind/snow/rain protection. I have a carbon fiber collapsible pole that works with these shelters and weighs just a few ounces.

I can pair any of the (above) shelters with either a bug bivy (silnylon bottom, bug netting top) or a normal bivy (silnylon bottom, pertex top) for added protection. Both bivies weigh about another 4-5 oz.

Most of the time though, I just use a piece of polycro or a half of an SOL Emergency Blanket as a groundcloth. Weighs an ounce or two, only costs a couple of bucks and is reasonably durable. The emergency blanket can (obviously) double as a signal device and/or blanket for emergencies...

#136 ·
Hola!

I´m using Big Agnes´Fly Creek UL2. This tent isn´t cheap but in my opinion it has the best space/weight ratio and it´s where I´ll spend most of my nights during 2015 (while bikepacking Argentina).

Saludos,
Federico

Product Yellow Photograph White Amber

Tech Specs

Material: [body] polyester mesh, ripstop nylon, [fly and floor] ripstop nylon, silicone coating, PU coating (1200mm)

Capacity: 2-person

Season:3-season

Wall Type: double-wall

Freestanding: yes

Poles: DAC Featherlite Combi

Number of Poles:1

Pole Attachment: DAC Twist Clip

Number of Doors: 1

Number of Vestibules: 1

Vestibule Space: 7 sq ft

Ventilation: mesh walls

Seams: fully taped

Interior Height: 38 - 24 in

Floor Dimensions: 86 x 52 x 42 in

Floor Space: 28 sq ft

Packed Size: 4 x 18.5 in

Fast-pitch Option: yes, footprint not included

Fast-pitch Weight: 1 lb 7 oz

Trail Weight: 1 lb 15 oz

Packed Weight: 2 lb 5 oz

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreekUL2

#137 ·
Hola!

I´m using Big Agnes´Fly Creek UL2. This tent isn´t cheap but in my opinion it has the best space/weight ratio and it´s where I´ll spend most of my nights during 2015 (while bikepacking Argentina).

Saludos,
Federico

View attachment 955863

Tech Specs

Material: [body] polyester mesh, ripstop nylon, [fly and floor] ripstop nylon, silicone coating, PU coating (1200mm)

Capacity: 2-person

Season:3-season

Wall Type: double-wall

Freestanding: yes

Poles: DAC Featherlite Combi

Number of Poles:1

Pole Attachment: DAC Twist Clip

Number of Doors: 1

Number of Vestibules: 1

Vestibule Space: 7 sq ft

Ventilation: mesh walls

Seams: fully taped

Interior Height: 38 - 24 in

Floor Dimensions: 86 x 52 x 42 in

Floor Space: 28 sq ft

Packed Size: 4 x 18.5 in

Fast-pitch Option: yes, footprint not included

Fast-pitch Weight: 1 lb 7 oz

Trail Weight: 1 lb 15 oz

Packed Weight: 2 lb 5 oz

https://www.bigagnes.com/Products/Detail/Tent/FlyCreekUL2
how tall are you? Im 6'4" and considering this tent but concerned about actual size opposed to claimed.
thanks!

#143 ·
I bought a Guide Gear 11X11 tarp about a year ago. Its been great and was around $40. Only caveat is that it was not seam sealed, so that was something I had to do myself. It is not silnylon, but still quite light and compact. It will cover two people though I usually use it solo.

I also found an older model Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight that I sometimes use if going out with another person. Splitting the weight between two riders still makes it very light. With no ground cloth, it weights only a little more than the Guide Gear tarp and a ground cloth.

Here are some pics of the tarp from a backpacking trip with my 14 year old son last fall. We had rain the first night and sleet, snow and rain the second. No problems at all (all depends on how you pitch it). I also use a SOL Adventure bivy to go over my bag (that's the orange cover you see in the pic). Adds some warmth and helps mitigate blowing rain. In warm weather (nothing below 50 degrees) I can use the bivy alone. I pitch the tarp differently depending on weather and temperature.

Natural environment Leaf Plant community Camping Forest

Natural environment Tent Camping Leaf Soil

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.