Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6

Thread: Shelters

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

Frosty Fall Fat Bikepacking by mbeganyi, on Flickr

a really sweet marmot bivy, a tarptent moment, and a tarptent contrail.
    (4th rider slept in a leaky simple bivy under the picnic table...)

my contrail and wil's moment by mbeganyi, on Flickr

jay's sweet bivy2 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I really dig my bivy camoflauge tent.
    1-Person Woodland Camo Bivy Shelter Tent $35.88

mtbr member
    I've used a Catoma Raider 64569F Ultralight. 1.1 Lb with rain fly, no extra poles required. Fits great on the handlebars. Not much larger than me, but it's cheap and high quality ($160)

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Saw the 2-person, almost freestanding Dash 2 at REI (it needs to be staked out in the back). I liked it because it weighs 2lbs 7oz, has a door on each side, so each person gets a door and a tiny vestibule and a fair amount of headroom. Spendy, though, at $349.

Shelters-8565025c-ccce-4cc7-9896-5ac59c6233c7.jpg

I had a small North Face mesh tent that I used for many, many years. It kept me warm and dry (or cool and dry, depending), but twice in southeastern Utah, thunderstorms blew in and the intense winds ahead of the storms blew a rather amazing amount of fine sand/grit right through the mesh and into my hair and sleeping bag, even though the fly was buttoned down tight. So when using a mesh tent, this is one of the few drawbacks.
    The whole hammock thing looks intriguing, but I sleep on my side and can't imagine how that would work in a hammock.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    I liked it because it weighs 2lbs 7oz
    That is the claimed weight based on tent, fly and poles, not necessarily the actual weight on the bike or trail. That is a claimed 1.33 kg which is still it is not a bad weight, assuming it is realistic, for what is claimed to be a two person tent. I be inclined think of this as more of as a nice lightweight spacey one person tent rather than a two, but I guess it comes down to who you are sharing with

Andrew

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Aushiker View Post
    That is the claimed weight based on tent, fly and poles, not necessarily the actual weight on the bike or trail. That is a claimed 1.33 kg which is still it is not a bad weight, assuming it is realistic, for what is claimed to be a two person tent. I be inclined think of this as more of as a nice lightweight spacey one person tent rather than a two, but I guess it comes down to who you are sharing with Andrew
    DH and I can make it work! Agree that with stakes and even a footprint, weight would likely be closer to 3lbs. Even at 3lbs it seems a reasonable weight for two; a bit heavy for one.
    And yes, it would be snug, but having a door for each person makes it infinitely more workable, plus there is a fair amount of head room.
    Over the many, many years I've been tent camping, once the tent is set up and I crawl inside and zip up the door, I'm home. I don't think I could get comfortable with a tarp or bivy.
    Other long standing preference: free-standing tent that pitches tight; I hate the sound of a rain fly going flappeta-flappeta-flappeta all night in the wind.

squish, squish in da fish
    Quote Originally Posted by June Bug View Post
    The whole hammock thing looks intriguing, but I sleep on my side and can't imagine how that would work in a hammock.
    i am a stomach sleeper and use a hammock. there's no way i can sleep on my belly but i sure can sleep on my side in one. most good hammocks are made to sleep diagonally to accommodate the side sleeper. traditional banana style often feels good too.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    We just spent 20 nights in our Dash 2. Fantastic design. So little to complain about, I won't bother. Big thumbs up to REI.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6