Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Shelters

weirdo

De-struttin Henry`s stuff...

Tough decision between the Moment and the Contrail, but I finally went for the Moment. The end struts in the Moment are the biggest problem as far as bicycling goes, so that turned out to be the bulk of the conversation that I had with Henry Shires. He says that minor differences between batches seem to cause thet confusion over how easy or dificult they are to install after removal. Apparently, humidity can also affect it- he says the nylon tends to shrink up slightly when its very dry, so wetting the it down will usually help if they`re feeling stubborn. Since I was pretty confused over that whole idea, here`s how the system works.

The struts just slide into long pockets that look to be formed by sewing along the edge of one inch webbing folded lengthwise. The seam stops about an inch from the bottom end, leaving a small opening to push them in through. On my particular tent, they go in very easily until the last 1.5 inches or so, then I have to wiggle, push, and cuss to get the last part in. As of now, I`m going to say I doubt I`ll remove them every time I pack it up, but I have an idea that will hopefully simplify the process enough to make it worthwhile. The issue isn`t the length, as I had thought previously,but the diameter of the struts. It`s because the top end of each of those long pockets has a piece of velcro sewn on, and the extra stitching for that velcro slightly reduces the width of the pocket.

The ends of struts are cut flat. I suspect that just capping them with a bullet shaped end and trimming the bottom to the original OAL will help a lot. I`ll report back after I try that. I also considered replacing them with a slightly smaller diameter tube, but at 0.291 inches, the carbon tubing is already smaller than any aluminum tent pole sections I can find. I think it`s probably arrow shafting, and will run one by an archery shop to ask. My bullet ends might be as simple as installing arrow nochs and grinding them to a rounded end with a belt sander.

As is, the package is pretty long, but it will fit on my bike. I need to ride a while with it tied under the TT to see if it`s going to bug me by brushing my knees on each pedal stroke (guessing that`s a yes). Otherwise, it`ll have to share the rear rack with my sleeping bag. That won`t be a problem with a dry tent, but I don`t think I want to snuggle the two together like that after a wet packup. The two pics on my bike show the tent without the long pole, but with the struts installed. The long pole will go on the underside of my rack no matter where I put the rest of the tent.

The other tent pic (not on bike) is with struts removed. I can just barely squeeze it into the bag that came with my full length Insulated Air Core matress, leaving it 10 inches long x 5 inches diameter. Note that a packed Contrail is only slightly bigger without any messing around- it just rolls up and stuffs right into the shorter bag. Oh, another note on the Contrail- I did throw my sleeping mat into one and climb in after it. Yup, very easy, and I did NOT have to back in.
    Attached Images Attached Images        

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Tough decision between the Moment and the Contrail, but I finally went for the Moment. The end struts in the Moment are the biggest problem as far as bicycling goes, so that turned out to be the bulk of the conversation that I had with Henry Shires. He says that minor differences between batches seem to cause thet confusion over how easy or dificult they are to install after removal. Apparently, humidity can also affect it- he says the nylon tends to shrink up slightly when its very dry, so wetting the it down will usually help if they`re feeling stubborn. Since I was pretty confused over that whole idea, here`s how the system works.

The struts just slide into long pockets that look to be formed by sewing along the edge of one inch webbing folded lengthwise. The seam stops about an inch from the bottom end, leaving a small opening to push them in through. On my particular tent, they go in very easily until the last 1.5 inches or so, then I have to wiggle, push, and cuss to get the last part in. As of now, I`m going to say I doubt I`ll remove them every time I pack it up, but I have an idea that will hopefully simplify the process enough to make it worthwhile. The issue isn`t the length, as I had thought previously,but the diameter of the struts. It`s because the top end of each of those long pockets has a piece of velcro sewn on, and the extra stitching for that velcro slightly reduces the width of the pocket.

The ends of struts are cut flat. I suspect that just capping them with a bullet shaped end and trimming the bottom to the original OAL will help a lot. I`ll report back after I try that. I also considered replacing them with a slightly smaller diameter tube, but at 0.291 inches, the carbon tubing is already smaller than any aluminum tent pole sections I can find. I think it`s probably arrow shafting, and will run one by an archery shop to ask. My bullet ends might be as simple as installing arrow nochs and grinding them to a rounded end with a belt sander.

As is, the package is pretty long, but it will fit on my bike. I need to ride a while with it tied under the TT to see if it`s going to bug me by brushing my knees on each pedal stroke (guessing that`s a yes). Otherwise, it`ll have to share the rear rack with my sleeping bag. That won`t be a problem with a dry tent, but I don`t think I want to snuggle the two together like that after a wet packup. The two pics on my bike show the tent without the long pole, but with the struts installed. The long pole will go on the underside of my rack no matter where I put the rest of the tent.

The other tent pic (not on bike) is with struts removed. I can just barely squeeze it into the bag that came with my full length Insulated Air Core matress, leaving it 10 inches long x 5 inches diameter. Note that a packed Contrail is only slightly bigger without any messing around- it just rolls up and stuffs right into the shorter bag. Oh, another note on the Contrail- I did throw my sleeping mat into one and climb in after it. Yup, very easy, and I did NOT have to back in.
    thanks for the report.
    i also though about doing the frame bag thing for the moment, but my fargo simply runs out of room for that with its smaller triangle.

looks like you made a good choice for you - and you have options for packing. cant wait to see my buddies tent in action. likely very late fall trip coming up.

i made a stiffer pole for the contrail today. ordered parts from quest outfitters and have a slightly heavier collapsible front pole (still 3 pieces, although I debated going 4 so it packed smaller) - but out of .433 tubing. much stiffer than the nano stuff that came standard.

mtbr member
    As is, the package is pretty long, but it will fit on my bike. I need to ride a while with it tied under the TT to see if it`s going to bug me by brushing my knees on each pedal stroke (guessing that`s a yes).
    I hadn't considered doing this but will give it a try with my Giant XTC 2 as I have no rear rack and the rack on the Extrawheel Voyager will have the sleeping bag on it.

Otherwise, it`ll have to share the rear rack with my sleeping bag. That won`t be a problem with a dry tent, but I don`t think I want to snuggle the two together like that after a wet packup.
    A dry bag such as a Sea to Summit one should solve the problem if the sleeping bag is packed in the bag.

Andrew

weirdo
    I have one more weekend off before we dive full swing into our busy season at work. Will take a fall color mini tour and hope for rain
    Well, not too much rain, since I won`t have my new toy seam sealed yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    i made a stiffer pole for the contrail today. ordered parts from quest outfitters and have a slightly heavier collapsible front pole (still 3 pieces, although I debated going 4 so it packed smaller) - but out of .433 tubing. much stiffer than the nano stuff that came standard.
    That sounds like a good idea, and I figured I`d do it if I had ended up with a Contrail. If you were to use two different diameter tubes, do you think it would be worth while to store the smaller sections inside the larger ones? It would require a step-down reducer of some kind, though.

Quote Originally Posted by Aushiker View Post
    A dry bag such as a Sea to Summit one should solve the problem if the sleeping bag is packed in the bag.
    Actually, I`ve been using a light weight dry bag (S-S, I think) since this summer, but I dunno if it`ll work with something wet constantly held against it, or if it`s just supposed to keep drizzilng rain out. Do you think it`ll keep the bag dry under that circumstance? Otherwise, I guess I could just use a little piece of plastic to separate them.

Aushiker, you have a Scarp, don`t you? How have you been carrying it?

mtbr member
    Actually, I`ve been using a light weight dry bag (S-S, I think) since this summer, but I dunno if it`ll work with something wet constantly held against it, or if it`s just supposed to keep drizzilng rain out. Do you think it`ll keep the bag dry under that circumstance? Otherwise, I guess I could just use a little piece of plastic to separate them.
    I have trusted them with my sleeping bag in a pack swim so I guess I think it would do the trick

Aushiker, you have a Scarp, don`t you? How have you been carrying it?
    Yes a Tarptent Scarp 1. I have carried it on the rear rack on my Surly Long Haul Trucker and when I needed the rack for a 10 litre water bag it joined my sleeping bag on the Upper Rack on my Extrawheel Voyager.

I was actually getting my Giant XTC 2 ready for a couple of days bikepacking next week and tried securing the tent on top of my top tube (cables run underneath) but couldn't get it tight enough to stop it slipping around so will go back to carrying it on the Upper Rack on the trailer.

I had thought of carrying the poles separately to see if I can pack it down smaller to go in a pannier. My try this on the weekend.

Andrew

mtbr member
    Jan 2008

I remember those

Quote Originally Posted by curtboroff View Post
    Gonna do my first bikepack this summer. Road/trail around southeast Ohio for a week. I'm not sure yet but my two choices are my surplus gore-tex bivy and a tarp, or my Sierra Designs clip flashlight2. The tent packs at about 4.5lbs, but the bugs in Ohio are relentless so I'm thinking tent.
    I spent many nights in the woods in southeastern ohio and in WV.

The bugs were quite bad. I thought I knew bugs. Then I moved to South Carolina along the Georgia border.

Now I know bugs. I swear the mosquitoes here are the size of small bats!

My first overnight hiking trip in my bivvy bag and I awoke to this horrible searing pain on my side. I climbed out of my bivvy bag to find a nice little southern devil scorpion who decided he liked my body heat. They aren't dangerous if you aren't allergic to them, but damn their stings feel like a bad hornet sting.

I'm using a tent from here on out. Too many dangerous creepy crawlies here. If the black widows, brown recluse, scorpions, or mosquitoes don't get you, then the copperheads or rattlers might.
    [SIZE="5"]It's easy to make a buck, it's much harder to make a difference."[/SIZE]

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That sounds like a good idea, and I figured I`d do it if I had ended up with a Contrail. If you were to use two different diameter tubes, do you think it would be worth while to store the smaller sections inside the larger ones? It would require a step-down reducer of some kind, though.
    I would just make it match the existing. How would you assemble them if the pieces were to fit inside the other? And if they were loose, and not connected by shock chord, you could lose one...

You could get an old Leki pole with the sliding adjustments maybe, but that would seem to be heavier and more complex.

weirdo
    ^^I was thinking loose, but you`re right, probably not a good idea.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    ^^I was thinking loose, but you`re right, probably not a good idea.
    i don't think the miniscule weight savings advantage would be worth it. my .433 pole is far stiffer than the proportion of weight i've just added to my kit...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Not to derail this thread, but rodar y rodar how do you like that impact pro mos? I just had my brother buy me one in nearly new condition off craigslist for $100. Unfortunately it will be about 4 months before I can ride it though cause I'm out of the country until then.

I use a Eureka Spitfire Solo tent for bike tours.

weirdo
    Really? Cool. There aren`t many of them out there- I think they only made them for one or two years. The frame is a bit heavy for a lot of uses, but being beefy is perfect for my purpose (touring and commuting). The only original parts on mine are the brake calipers and the seatpost, though the stock componentry was decent mid-level Shimano mtb stuff. Mostly I like my bike because it formerly belonged to a favorite uncle who passed away several years ago. I feel like I get a chance to honor him every time I roll off to work on it

By the way, good eyes! Hope you like your bike when you get it. Can`t go too far wrong at that price.

Formerly of Kent
    We use our tents for both backpacking and bikepacking. Well, almost exclusively backpacking, but we've used it for bikepacking now too.

Tent of choice is a Mountain Hardware Trango 2. Much larger and heavier than what most of you guys use, but it will keep you warm and dry, guaranteed. And, we have two people to carry it. We can break down our bikes and get them mostly covered by the vestibule, and do our cooking at the other end.

Overkill 90% of the time, and we have a smaller North Face, which is a 3 season and much lighter. For some reason we don't use it that often. I guess it's better to be safe than sorry up at 11,000-12,000ft.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Really? Cool. There aren`t many of them out there- I think they only made them for one or two years. The frame is a bit heavy for a lot of uses, but being beefy is perfect for my purpose (touring and commuting). The only original parts on mine are the brake calipers and the seatpost, though the stock componentry was decent mid-level Shimano mtb stuff. Mostly I like my bike because it formerly belonged to a favorite uncle who passed away several years ago. I feel like I get a chance to honor him every time I roll off to work on it

By the way, good eyes! Hope you like your bike when you get it. Can`t go too far wrong at that price.
    Hah, yeah the weird chainstays tipped me off. Judging from some catalog scans I found,I think mine is entirely stock excepting the saddle which actually looks nicer. The tires are even original and don't look to be warn. Along with the schwinn, I also have an 80s shogun rigid MTB. I'm going to convert one of them into a drop bar 3 speed commuter but I'm not sure which one yet. I guess it's kind of novel to keep the schwinn original but ultimately I favor function over that kind of nostalgia.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    nice

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    There are some brilliant ideas here.

Great thread !

I have wanted to do this for a while.
    Northern Virginia.

Moderator Moderator
    Saw this on steepandcheap today for $187 (1/2 off)...NEMO Equipment Inc. Moto 1P Superbivy with Footprint: 1-Person 3-Season. Features a unique, inflatable main support and a feathery sub-three-pound weight. I'm not in the market, but the inflatable support sounded interesting. Anybody use one?

If you're interested, it may rotate back around, or maybe try their alerts.

A unique, inflatable support design allows the NEMO Equipment Moto 1P Superbivy with Footprint to pack down so small you can fit it inside the panniers on your bike or motorcycle, or under the seat of your canoe. Just unpack this tent, stake it out, attach the collapsible strut to tension the foot, and inflate the main support by the head using the included pump. Without poles and thanks to the single-person design, this one-of-a-kind tent weighs in at just under three pounds. You'll be hard pressed to find a solo tent that's lighter and easier to set up.

Airbeam main support inflates quickly and provides enough headroom for a camper to sit up at the head of the tent
    Airbeam keeps the tent structurally stable, tensions the tent, and stands up to foul weather and wind
    Inner tent can be retracted underneath the fly to create a temporary, full-length vestibule space for gear storage
    Collapsible strut tensions the foot of the tent and tucks inside a reinforced sleeve at the Swallow Tail
    Two mesh vents promote cross ventilation from the head of the tent to the foot of the tent so you feel cool and comfortable, not stifled
    Included with the tent is a drybag-style stuff sack, integrated Pump, collapsible strut, stakes, and a repair kit

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Sounds pretty cool. Are there pictures available that can be shared here?
    Northern Virginia.

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Renntag View Post
    Sounds pretty cool. Are there pictures available that can be shared here?
    Google...

"I have one speed. I have one gear: Go." -- Charlie Sheen

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I used the Big Agnes Lynx Pass 1 this summer for a couple trips in the Allegheny National Forest in PA. It's not too heavy, good features, and has a decent amount of room laying and sitting up. Quick setup as well. Price is right being around $179 msrp, but you can find them on sale for less now.

It worked great in constant rain. Wish I had a light simple tarp to have set the tent up under while it was raining out. Somebody told me that idea afterwards.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shelters-img_0391.jpg  

mtbr member
    One of my tent that I use is a "Hilleberg Rajd" there is a light, but there is no inner tent so it becomes very condensed and if it starts to rain so dripping condensation down and it feels like it's raining through the tent.
    Last summer I rode and my 10 year old son 560 kilometers through a rainy Sweden and then we used this tent.
    It went well, but next time I will get a roomier and sturdier tents. If you want to read about our cycling adventure so I recommend my blog, where I write about adventures in everyday life and in the neighborhood.
    Näräventyr: Cykeläventyret 2012

My bad english because google translate, read more about me and my adventures on the Web: http://naraventyr.blogspot.se/

mtbr member
    The night between 16/1-17/1 I'll spend the night in the wild without tents.
    I do not have a good sleeping bag that is made for the winter so I put in two Summer / Autumn bags and pulling a bivy sack.
    I hope it does not get too cold.
    But wind sack is also an alternative to a tent.
    Have a good night's sleep
    My bad english because google translate, read more about me and my adventures on the Web: http://naraventyr.blogspot.se/

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Mountain Hardware used to make a model called a Stiletto 1. They discontinued it, but I have one and think its about the best solo tent Ive ever seen or used. If you can find one on ebay or the internet its worth a look.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Benajah View Post
    Mountain Hardware used to make a model called a Stiletto 1. They discontinued it, but I have one and think its about the best solo tent Ive ever seen or used. If you can find one on ebay or the internet its worth a look.
    Thank you for sharing the tent. It looked very nice

mtbr member
    Here is my winter gear

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by Näräventyr View Post
    The night between 16/1-17/1 I'll spend the night in the wild without tents.
    I do not have a good sleeping bag that is made for the winter so I put in two Summer / Autumn bags and pulling a bivy sack.
    I hope it does not get too cold.
    But wind sack is also an alternative to a tent.
    Have a good night's sleep
    Today is 16 January here, so you go out tonight? Good luck and don`t freeze
    Recalculating....

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast