Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Results 51 to 75 of 133

Thread: Shelters

  1. #51
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,088
    kdirk, have you ever tried putting that tarp diagonally over the hammock? It might be the right size/shape to go that way. it would be asymmetrical, but i think it has potential.

  2. #52
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    kdirk, have you ever tried putting that tarp diagonally over the hammock? It might be the right size/shape to go that way. it would be asymmetrical, but i think it has potential.
    I have thought of that however the only reason I had that tarp up (usually unless it rains im lazy and have the top open) was cause there was nice wind coming in from the west (side with all the trees) keeping my butt cold. This wind breaker/slight insulator helped a bit with the coldness.

  3. #53
    gran jefe
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    3,088
    gotcha.

  4. #54
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    911
    Quote Originally Posted by kdirk View Post
    Im going to put more grommets in this thing so that I can cover my hammock from 'biner to 'biner, but this is essentially what I have
    I'd try an 8x10 from home depot/lowes/wal-mart. they cost less than $10 and typically come in medium and heavy weight options. Huge grommets pre-installed, and its a great size if you actually have to get away from the rain (whereas a much smaller one would be acceptable if the likelihood of rain were very low).

    I can fit all of my gear and my bike beneath me and I can sit down too, all staying dry. If a storm comes with heavy winds, bringing the sides closer to the ground does a great job of keeping out most moisture.

    I also recommend tying the tarp to the same trees as the hammock. You could tie the tarp to the hammock itself, allowing you to simultaneously hang both, but there's a greater risk of tangles.

    just some thoughts...

  5. #55
    Disabled Vet
    Reputation: longhaultrucker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,013
    I could see me camping in a bivvy...but for the most part it's me an dmy 10 year old son,so we packs a cheap (inexpensive too ) tent from Kmart...


    It's ok though,we don't get in a big hurry,my granny's lo enough to climb with extra weight,and got's plenty of packing room on this...



    '96 Specialized Hard Rock
    '11 Origin 8 700CX
    '13 On One Inbred
    '14 Surly Troll

  6. #56
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Posts
    59
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    I'd try an 8x10 from home depot/lowes/wal-mart. they cost less than $10 and typically come in medium and heavy weight options. Huge grommets pre-installed, and its a great size if you actually have to get away from the rain (whereas a much smaller one would be acceptable if the likelihood of rain were very low).

    I can fit all of my gear and my bike beneath me and I can sit down too, all staying dry. If a storm comes with heavy winds, bringing the sides closer to the ground does a great job of keeping out most moisture.

    I also recommend tying the tarp to the same trees as the hammock. You could tie the tarp to the hammock itself, allowing you to simultaneously hang both, but there's a greater risk of tangles.

    just some thoughts...


    Ive had a tyvek tarp, think its 9' x 10', for a while, just need to put grommets/ or straps on it. One of these days ill get off my laxy butt and do it

  7. #57
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    439
    This setup worked great for e last weekend. Simple, light and cheap. Saw the design posted in another forum here.


  8. #58
    mtbr member
    Reputation: sir_n0thing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6
    While I've yet to bikepack (it's defitely going to happen once I get my bike), i have a bunch of options I use now...

    REI Quaterdome T1: Lightweight solo shelter, generally use for fair weather backpacking.
    Mountain Hardwear Sprite 1: Heavier, but pretty much bombproof.
    Nemo Morpho 1: Again a bit heavy, but very roomy for a 1 person tent. Shrugs off wind. Easiest setup ever.
    REI Half Dome 2: Backpacking or car camping with my 12 year old daughter.
    Exped Orion 2: Hardcore winter tent. This is what I take out in the snow.
    I've had many different hammocks... Clark NX-200, NX-150, Hennessy Expedition with extensive zipper modding, Warbonnet Blackbird and a homemade gathered-end hammock. Currently using the NX-150. Heavy as heck, but comfy. The Blackbird was super light an nicely made, but I never could get comfy with the footbox. I carry a Speer Winter tarp for hammock camping. Not the smallest/lightest, but seriously versatile set-up options.

    Last but not least, I have a milsurp bivvy that I never use. I would like to eventually get a decent bivvy, like a Marmot Alpinist or similar. The Big Agnes 3-wire e-Vent looks sweet.

  9. #59
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aushiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    177
    My shelter of choice at the moment is a Tarptent Scarp 1.



    In "flight mode" at Walkers Creek, Litchfield National Park, Northern Territory, Australia. It was around 20 C / 68 F at night and I had expected much cooler nights (what is normal at this time of the year) so I had the solid interior. The "flight mode" was an attempt to catch what breeze was offer. All I seem to get but was mozzies.

    Andrew

  10. #60
    I'm your density
    Reputation: random walk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,297
    Quote Originally Posted by random walk View Post
    - The Yama 1.25 Bug Shelter (used to be Alpinlite).
    Finally got around to taking a pic of this. I also got the fitted tarp. About 28 oz. (793 g) including shelter, tarp, Tyvek ground cover, Ti stakes and guy lines.

    "Two wrongs don't make a right, but three rights make a left."
    Ty Webb

  11. #61
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    1,070
    Just got a hand me down Neptune crestone 1. Weighs 4 pounds and took 4minutes to pitch. All mesh bivy with rainfly and porch. I love it. Can't wait to put it to use!
    There's something about those long grueling climbs that gets my front end all stiff... And I'm not talking about lockout...

  12. #62
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,034
    recent pic of my contrail setup.


    contrail, fargo by mbeganyi, on Flickr

    24 oz + pole, published. haven't checked it, but its light and packs small.

  13. #63
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    50
    bmike: I fell in love with the Contrail after seeing the setup process. It's an awesome design from what I can assume. I'm interested in how the stitching holds up. How small does it pack down to in a stuff sack?

  14. #64
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by JHCreighton View Post
    bmike: I fell in love with the Contrail after seeing the setup process. It's an awesome design from what I can assume. I'm interested in how the stitching holds up. How small does it pack down to in a stuff sack?
    holding up well, but i've only had it out on weekend trips.

    shot from this weekend - very windy in an exposed meadow site, and rain, most of the night. wind changed 180 just as i was getting ready to climb in and the fire was dying down. i should have re-pitched foot into the wind - but it held up well, even with the gusts. the back is dropped down into a storm pitch, as the wind was originally coming from the rear. the struts slide and fasten with some velcro.


    my tarp tent contrail by mbeganyi, on Flickr

    packs down into the stuff sack they send with it - 4"x14". center pole goes elsewhere. if you remove the little struts in the rear from their sleeves you can get it even smaller - but i don't want to fuss with those in the field. looking at a simpler way to do that, but haven't put the brain power into it yet.

    here is is on my bike - inside of a dry bag. the stakes are in there as well. its really puffy, i didn't do a good job of compressing it down, and just pushed it in there and strapped it on. when it goes into the stuff sack that came with it it goes to the 4x14" lists. that pic is more like 5x15. the poles rode in my front harness (i carry a short little pole for the rear to help create a ridge and shed water. you could also use a stick.


    IMG_8242 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

    more pics here.


    TarpTent Contrail, from inside by mbeganyi, on Flickr


    TarpTent Contrail by mbeganyi, on Flickr

  15. #65
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    112
    I have a Contrail and you do have to seam seal the stitching before you take it out - pretty easy, though. I didn't have a problem w/leaking or with the seams, though I just got it this summer and haven't had it out too many times. It does pack down to the size stated on their website (I think it's tarptent.com) though it took me around 10 minutes to take it down, pull stakes, roll it up and stuff it into the sack. You do have to roll it tight to get it into the stuff sack. My suggestion is to practice it several times, setting up and taking down before you go on the road with it (including getting it wet and then trying it). The pole is a bit awkward to pack but I found a good place for it on my bike - tying it to the side of the downtube (I have a frame type bag that is velcroed to the downtube and the pole slides right underneath the velcro so no extra string is needed for this part), with a string tying the end to the stem so it doesn't slide down.

  16. #66
    Get out there!
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Posts
    12
    Currently I have a Outdoor Research Bug Bivy and a Spinn Twin Tarp from Gossamer Gear. I've only used this hiking with poles but I don't see why I can't use my bike as a pole like above. If it was cool enough I would leave the bivy at home and just use a head net.
    I'm all about less is more so I'll be looking at a bivy from backpackinglight.com They have some crazy light bivys that one could use for bikepacking.
    Craig Fowler
    aka Scatman
    Adventures of scatman
    @Scatmanat
    Get out there!

  17. #67
    ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Reputation: SingleTrackLovr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Posts
    679
    No trees like Utah:
    Mtn Hardware one man tent with neoair pad.


    If I have tree's like Colorado I prefer a hammock.

    "Snipe"


    Both complete sleep systems weighs ~3.5#

    04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970



  18. #68
    weirdo
    Reputation: rodar y rodar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,715
    I need to find a more compact shelter. After a few not-so-successful attempts at setting up a free silny flat tarp, I went back to look at single wall tents. I`ve been nearly ready to write a check for either a TT Contrail or a Moment, but still a little bit on the fence. The front entry of the Contrail doesn`t appeal to me, but I feel pretty well assured by BMike and others that I actually could live with it. While the Moment`s packed length is a huge bummer, the rest of its design is just plain sweet! Fortunately, I live only about two hours drive from TT`s "corporate HQ", so I finally set up an appointment to go check them both out in person and get Mr Shires`s views on de-strutting as well as see how the Mile Long Moment actually fits when strapped on my bike. I`m going Monday- hope to come home a couple hundred Dollars lighter in the wallet.

  19. #69
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    I need to find a more compact shelter. After a few not-so-successful attempts at setting up a free silny flat tarp, I went back to look at single wall tents. I`ve been nearly ready to write a check for either a TT Contrail or a Moment, but still a little bit on the fence. The front entry of the Contrail doesn`t appeal to me, but I feel pretty well assured by BMike and others that I actually could live with it. While the Moment`s packed length is a huge bummer, the rest of its design is just plain sweet! Fortunately, I live only about two hours drive from TT`s "corporate HQ", so I finally set up an appointment to go check them both out in person and get Mr Shires`s views on de-strutting as well as see how the Mile Long Moment actually fits when strapped on my bike. I`m going Monday- hope to come home a couple hundred Dollars lighter in the wallet.
    A buddy of mine just got the moment. Said it takes 2 seconds per strut to pull them out or put them in. 4 struts total. It's a pretty sweet tent.

    So is the contrail.

    Have a good visit.

  20. #70
    weirdo
    Reputation: rodar y rodar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    5,715
    ^^Thanks for that!
    If that buddy is the guy with the BMX pedals on a Pacer, I think he and I are soul mates

    Just seconds to remove/install? Is it a stock Moment, or did he mod it for that? I read an account somewhere by Moment user who clains it was a major PITA and I think he even ended up having to wet the fabric to get it to stretch a little bit. Another post from some backpacking forum mentioned some fairly complicated mods to make it easy. I was considering maybe chopping an inch or so off each strut, one of the things I mean to ask about next week.

  21. #71
    Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Reputation: hunter006's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    449
    I think bmike has done a good job of convincing people of the Tarptent's merits. One question though - the little stick you use on the back of the tent as an optional extra: would you be able to use a moderately sized mini pump in place of a stick to help create the ridge? e.g. a Topeak Road Morph pump @ 14" in length

  22. #72
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    ^^Thanks for that!
    If that buddy is the guy with the BMX pedals on a Pacer, I think he and I are soul mates

    Just seconds to remove/install? Is it a stock Moment, or did he mod it for that? I read an account somewhere by Moment user who clains it was a major PITA and I think he even ended up having to wet the fabric to get it to stretch a little bit. Another post from some backpacking forum mentioned some fairly complicated mods to make it easy. I was considering maybe chopping an inch or so off each strut, one of the things I mean to ask about next week.
    not the guy on the pacer with bmx pedals. he has henessy hammock.
    but he has done some rando rides on that rig with hiking shoes.


    well, he just got it and was messing around, kinda telling me that i could have used that tent as well. so i haven't seen it done. from what henry told me when i inquired - he said he would not want to do it every night and then repeat in the morning.

    if they are like my contrail - yes, the do go in and out, but it takes a little longer than 2 seconds a piece.

  23. #73
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,034
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    I think bmike has done a good job of convincing people of the Tarptent's merits. One question though - the little stick you use on the back of the tent as an optional extra: would you be able to use a moderately sized mini pump in place of a stick to help create the ridge? e.g. a Topeak Road Morph pump @ 14" in length
    could be a stick, your bike (if you ran the chord up and over), a wheel, a collapsible tripod for a camera, etc. no reason a pump wouldn't work, so long as it was long enough.

    that little pole is 18" and is in a sleeve with line attached. really could be anything 18" or longer, depending on how you rig it.


    i haven't tried this yet for the front. i'd likely keep it further away from the bike, assuming it wasn't a PITA, as the extra pole is really lite.


  24. #74
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    184
    Older Nemo Gogo has been good for me. Just cram it, my sleeping pad and sleeping bag in the front harness bag. A little heavy, but nice not to deal with poles.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Shelters-p1020260.jpg  

    Shelters-p1020244.jpg  


  25. #75
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Aushiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    177
    Quote Originally Posted by xhailofgunfirex View Post
    Older Nemo Gogo has been good for me. Just cram it, my sleeping pad and sleeping bag in the front harness bag. A little heavy, but nice not to deal with poles.
    Love the first photo. Really cool.

    Andrew

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •