mtbr member

Seatpost Setback for Bikepacking

Being on the taller side at 6 foot 3, my fit usually warrants some seat post setback. There is also a little bit of appreciated vertical compliance in a 27.2 seat post with a little bit of setback, versus zero setback. But does the equation change for bike-packing? Do folks that might otherwise prefer a little seat-post setback go with zero setback on a bike packing rig to get closer, for example, on some aero bars or for some other reason? Thoughts appreciated.

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    I am of the opinion that your saddle position depends only on the relative position to the bottom bracket. Your body has an ideal position relative to the pedals that should be achieved using the proper setback (or not) seatpost in combination with saddle fore/aft position and saddle height. Tweaking this position could lead to pain etc over long distances.

Bicycles aren't motorized
    2nd position over the pedals, don't mess with it outside of the norms.
    Quote Originally Posted by me;
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure that most of them are dirt.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    Being on the taller side at 6 foot 3, my fit usually warrants some seat post setback. There is also a little bit of appreciated vertical compliance in a 27.2 seat post with a little bit of setback, versus zero setback. But does the equation change for bike-packing? Do folks that might otherwise prefer a little seat-post setback go with zero setback on a bike packing rig to get closer, for example, on some aero bars or for some other reason? Thoughts appreciated.
    I'm 5'11" my main bikepacking bike has a slackish STA and a setback post. That's just the position I am most comfortable pedalling except for really steep climbs when I slide forward on the saddle for a moment.

My trail bikes also use setback droppers [9.8] to put me in a comfortable and efficient pedalling position.

Everybody is different so go with what works for you, but no I don't find I want to be in a different pedalling position bikepacking vs. day-to-day trail riding.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

Slothful dirt hippie
    I have a 33-34" inseam. All my saddles ride as far back on the rails that they'll go except for the one setback post I have on my fat bike. My knees gripe when the BB is too far under me.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    Set up your bike for a proper fit, stat there. You have aero bars on your bikepacking rig?