Cheesiest

Schwalbe Marathon Mondials Tubeless?

Mods-If the tire forum is more appropriate, please move this post. I am particularly interested in a tire for touring, bikepacking, and commuting with extensive road mileage. I've used Nanos and wasn't excited with the sidewalls when run tubeless.

Anyone have experience with the Mondials run tubeless? I tried searching, but couldn't find anything about running them without tubes. I would like to get as much advice as possible before spending $90.

Thanks

BTW-they will be going on Stan's Flows

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    26x2.0 ?
    Free bump
    Sounds like an interesting project.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

Cheesiest
    Thanks for the bump. I would be using the 29x2

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I recently fitted Schwalbe Big Apple folding 2.0 x 29" to P35s tubeless, a bit of leakage at the bead initially but homebrew sealant fixed that after a few rides. They roll really well at 25psi. Interested in trying the Mondail 47-50c tubeless as a 'big tour' tyre, I think it'll work.

Cheesiest
    Thanks for the info! I'm going to seriously consider trying one when I get the funds.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    I'm very curious about running the 700x40 or 700x45 Mondials tubeless on my Flow rims... just need to save up some cash for the tires. If anyone has experience, chime in!

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I use the Dureme 700x50 tubeless and have had good luck so far. They are mounted on DT Swiss X470 rims. They do great on gravel and pavement. I haven't ridden them in rugged off road conditions but they should do fine.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Curious as to what benefits there are running a touring tire like the mondials tubeless. I've used the old Marathon XR's (fore runner to the mondials) on long tours; even on dirt roads i never needed to run them at pinch flat low pressures to get traction and never had a puncture; they were utterly bomb proof.
    I would also question using mondials on a commuter, if primarily tarmac my preference would be marathon racers (duremes / supremes for better grip offroad) - the huge rolling resistance of the mondials would start to piss me off on 'extensive road mileage' without a heavy load

Cheesiest

Hope

Quote Originally Posted by SimpleJon View Post
    Curious as to what benefits there are running a touring tire like the mondials tubeless. I've used the old Marathon XR's (fore runner to the mondials) on long tours; even on dirt roads i never needed to run them at pinch flat low pressures to get traction and never had a puncture; they were utterly bomb proof.
    I would also question using mondials on a commuter, if primarily tarmac my preference would be marathon racers (duremes / supremes for better grip offroad) - the huge rolling resistance of the mondials would start to piss me off on 'extensive road mileage' without a heavy load
    Others might have different reasons, but the mondials have the most aggressive tread of the touring tires. Most MTB tires that have treads that work well on road, tend to be lightweight XC tires. The reason I want to run the mondials tubeless is to lower the weight and make flats easier to fix.

Most of my rides involve at least 25 mi before I hit the dirt. Not driving a vehicle minimizes the constraints on my trips. I'm just trying to find the best tire for my purposes
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Not sure that tubeless is going to reduce weight at all (at 740g for the 26 x 2.0 so I read - its not a light weight tire)- would imagine rim tape and goo is going to be about the same (possibly more) than a tube. I don't think punctures will be a problem with mondials.
    If you are mostly on road marathon racers would be ideal, supremes or duremes have less rolling resistance than the XR. The XR is brilliant for heavy loads on almost any terrain and lasts for ever. But the weight and hard compound tread gives a heck of a lot of rolling resistance in my experience and they are a serious PITA without loads on road.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Curious as to what benefits there are running a touring tire like the mondials tubeless
    I think if the tyre is practically thorn / nail proof and is only going to be flatted by something major like a shard of glass then it's a great candidate for tubeless, more so than normal MTB tyres in a way - it becomes more like a car tyre. The sealant needed is less than most TLR MTB tyres and rim tape weighs so little, overall it's lighter by about an inner-tube's worth and in theory should roll a bit easier. Not a major difference though and you'd still need to carry a spare tube - so for me it was more about trying it out. If I was 'proper' touring I doubt I'd bother if I was concerned about lack of sealant availability.
    Last edited by james-o; 12-05-2012 at 02:24 AM. Reason: typos