mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Schwalbe Marathon Almotion

Anyone have any experience with these relatively new tires? I'm looking to do a mix of road and light off-road touring work (have other tires for full off-road duty) with the capability of running tubeless. Any insight how the non-tubeless versions mount up on notubes rims? I'm debating between the 38mm tubeless (out of stock everywhere) and regular 700x38 version (in-stock).

Finally, anyone in the US carrying these? I can only seem to find them from UK & German sites. Thanks for your help!

Marathon Almotion | Schwalbe North America

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    No experince with those tires but I had a Marathon Supreme blow off an Arch EX at about 40psi. Was about the third ride and I was on smooth pavement.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Anyone heard any updated availability dates on the tubeless version?

cgries, I ran Marathon Mondial 700x42 tubeless on Velocity A23 rims with good success. I only put 5 days riding on them, but it was long days, in tough & variable conditions (bad gravel, washboard, high speed pavement, heat, huge elevation swings). Not sure how the Almotion non-tubeless version would work, but I certainly wouldn't hesitate to run Mondials tubeless on tour.

Graveyard Shift
    I'm not sure I really get the point of running Marathon line tires tubeless in the first place. Of Schwalbe's numerous offerings, I'd rather just run Marathon Mondial or Deluxe and just throw in their extralight tubes, like I've done for ages. With that simple setup even the 40c Mondial will be lighter than a 38c Almotion Tubeless mounted to the rim.

Setting up tubeless tires is such a *****. Marathon Mondials are probably (I say probably because I only have Almotion specs to go by, I can't find valuable opinions on them anywhere) far better for mixed on-road/off-road touring. I just don't get the attraction, and it feels like Schwalbe is just trying to cater to the tubeless trend.
    Long is the way, and hard.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    @ChristianCote,

Most your observations are legitimate. I've run many 1000's of miles touring on tubed Supreme's of various width, and have been largely happy with them. Significant, but fewer, miles on the Mondial and also happy with them, both tubed and tubeless.

Certainly tubeless isn't going to win any weight contests, especially with the 230g delta currently shown on Almotion tubeless vs tubed versions. Although I've noticed that Schwalbe is not saying "tubeless ready" but saying "tubeless" on their literature, so they may not require sealant, which could lessen the weight delta a bit.

I do have a different opinion about the difficulty of tubeless. With the Mondial on an A23 rim, for example, I was able to install the tire by hand, and easily inflate it with one hand on a floor pump and the other hand holding the tire, first try. And the Mondial doesn't even have a tubeless bead. With a properly matched tire and rim, tubeless these days has virtually eliminated the notorious hassles of the past (and yes, I too lived a few episodes of swearing, compressors and latex explosions during the industry's learning curve).

That said, I'll concede that the attraction isn't obvious for heavy touring tires, perhaps even negligible. My attraction is a consequence of 10 years of increasingly wonderful experience with tubeless on MTBs, coupled with a desire to tour with low pressures on atrocious unpaved roads and not worry about flats. Yet as others have pointed out, they have run Mondials below 50 PSI with tubes and never had even a hint of a pinch flat, so what would I really gain? Fair observation.

Graveyard Shift
    Fair enough, I'm rather inept with tubeless conversions so that is my bias entering into the equation, certainly. Since that post I've spent some time looking at some German boards to see what kind of experiences they've had with the Almotions, and the reaction seems to be mooooostly positive, with the caveat that very very few, if any of them, seem to be using the Tubeless version or running ghetto tubeless. They're sticking to tubes and primarily looking at Almotions based on the Dynamic Casing.

What I've gleaned:

- It's not an off-road tire, at least no more than most of Schwalbe's touring tires. It won't be destroyed by gravel or fire roads but the grip and ride suffer as one would expect. It's built for pavement. Mondials reign supreme if your touring takes you on such conditions.

- Respondents generally liken its overall speed to Marathon Supremes and Big Apples, which puts it in a 'pretty good' category, ahead of most of Schwalbe's puncture resistant line but behind such tires as Kojaks, Marathon Racers, Panaracer Paselas, Vittoria Randonneur Hypers, or Compass Barlow Passes.

- It sounds like it wears better than expected, at least as well as Marathon Supremes do. The longest service life I've seen reported was roughly 10k km of 99% paved road use, so that's fairly good. It's a long road from there to the Marathon Deluxe, however, and the Deluxe has nothing on the Mondial or the fabled XR and Dureme.

- Almotions look really damn nice.

- The tubeless version of the Almotion is very expensive. This may not be super important to people who are comparing it to other, slightly less expensive Marathon tires as we are, but it must be said. Mondials are the closest to it overall. In terms of value per dollar the tubeless version is probably one of the worst Marathon tires, with the exception being Supremes if you're unlucky enough to strike their thin sidewalls in the right way.

I think that, overall, it'd be wiser to compare Almotions to Supremes than to Mondials. They're comparable in terms of speed and close in terms of wear, sidewall tears on the Supremes notwithstanding. Almotions are slightly sturdier and roll slightly better. Neither of them is intended for offroad use, they share equal puncture resistance and grip in the wet. I think it's pretty obvious that I'm a stalwart for Mondials, so it should come as no surprise that they're what I'd suggest. I know that I'm not very good with tubeless and that factors into my next point as well, but I also think that for heavy touring tubes have another benefit in that repeatedly swapping tires is just so simple with them, and if you're doing loaded touring then something that most will suggest is rotating your front and rear tires to match wear. That's something that I, personally, would not enjoy while running tubeless tires.

Overall, Almotions sound like good tires. Most of Schwalbe's tires will be, regardless of their habit of retiring their very best. Sorry if that didn't help much with the tubeless questions, I seriously can't find anyone running them that way.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    No one has feedback on the tubeless version because no one can get them!

Schwalbe announced them 10 months ago with "spring" availability, but still none available today. However, they must be getting closer, since they did let a pair out into the wild for review in a German bike mag, who gave them pretty high praise. Its pretty legible w/ Google/Chrome translation:

Ausprobiert: Schwalbe Marathon Almotion ? Trekkingreifen tubeless - Radtouren Magazin

FWIW

Graveyard Shift
    Jesus, for real? I guess that explains how something I'd expect to be for a niche market would be sold out.

It sounds from that review like the tubeless version has a serious leg up over its standard cousin in a few metrics. If that's really the case then I can definitely see it being a really strong competitor for paved road use. I guess we'll have to wait and see how things shake out when it finally enters the mass market.

One thing I must say that I really love about Schwalbe is its drive in recent years towards adapting motorcycle technology to its bicycle tires. The Super Gravity casing and now Dynamic Casing, both seem to achieve their aims admirably.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianCoté View Post
    Jesus, for real? I guess that explains how something I'd expect to be for a niche market would be sold out.
    For clarity, its not sold out. Its unavailable. They have yet to release any into the distribution channels. To the best of my knowledge, that German magazine is the sole example of anyone actually touching (or riding) a tubeless version.

I've been watching the German retail websites (starbike, bike-discount.de, bike-components.de) because they are always first to get new Schwalble product. So far, nothing.

BTW, those German sites are WAY cheaper for any Schwalbe or Continental tires than the US alternatives. That's where I get all my rubber.

Graveyard Shift
    Quote Originally Posted by InertiaMan View Post
    For clarity, its not sold out. Its unavailable. They have yet to release any into the distribution channels. To the best of my knowledge, that German magazine is the sole example of anyone actually touching (or riding) a tubeless version.

I've been watching the German retail websites (starbike, bike-discount.de, bike-components.de) because they are always first to get new Schwalble product. So far, nothing.

BTW, those German sites are WAY cheaper for any Schwalbe or Continental tires than the US alternatives. That's where I get all my rubber.
    What has your experience with bike-discount.de been like, out of curiosity? I want to order something from them but fears of another Bike24 experience keep me from pulling the trigger.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have ordered few Schwalbe tires and some other stuff from bike-discount.de and bike-components.de. They both have shipped fast and i have allways received everything I ordered. Many people in Finland seem to be using these German shops, and they seem to be very reliable.

Graveyard Shift
    Thanks for the input.

mtbr member
    I run Schwalbe Durano Plus and Marathon Plus tyres on my commuters and I have to run them tubeless because they still puncture when using tubes. Setting them up ghetto tubeless has meant I haven't had to stop to fix a flat on the way to work so far. I have had to remove steel wire from the tyre and reinflate a little at the end of a ride but that is better than a roadside repair.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by crank1979 View Post
    I run Schwalbe Durano Plus and Marathon Plus tyres on my commuters and I have to run them tubeless because they still puncture when using tubes. Setting them up ghetto tubeless has meant I haven't had to stop to fix a flat on the way to work so far. I have had to remove steel wire from the tyre and reinflate a little at the end of a ride but that is better than a roadside repair.
    What PSI do you run these at? What rims? I have a circulatory condition that makes me prone to frost bite and numbness etc. because my arteries constrict in my fingers when cold. I commute in the cold and wet, and loathe flats at these times.
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Asmodeus2112 View Post
    What PSI do you run these at? What rims? I have a circulatory condition that makes me prone to frost bite and numbness etc. because my arteries constrict in my fingers when cold. I commute in the cold and wet, and loathe flats at these times.
    I'm running 80psi on the cheap Alex rims that came stock on the Merida Cyclocross 4 Disc.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    The wait for the tubeless version is becoming ridiculous. Announced in December of 2013 for spring 2014 availability. And it is now a full year later, spring 2015, and Schwalbe dealers (US and Germany) have received absolutely no indication if if/when the tires will ship.

Looks like these might follow in the footsteps of the Continental 29x2.4 Trail King, which still hasn't shipped more than 3 years after announcement.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    At this point I have little to report other than one tire weighs 40grams more than the other, and the center tread section feels supple.

These are standard tires I'll be running tubeless after an initial ride with tubes. I expect they will have the same ride quality improvement as every other tire designed for tubes I've run tubeless, which is, comfort increases and rolling resistance decreases; more advantages of tubeless in addition to being able to get a puncture and keep rolling.

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HillDancer View Post
    At this point I have little to report other than one tire weighs 40grams more than the other, and the center tread section feels supple.

These are standard tires I'll be running tubeless after an initial ride with tubes. I expect they will have the same ride quality improvement as every other tire designed for tubes I've run tubeless, which is, comfort increases and rolling resistance decreases; more advantages of tubeless in addition to being able to get a puncture and keep rolling.
    Please make sure you share the experience of setting them up and running them tubless. I've tried and failed to run 'non-tubeless ready' supermotos tubless, for instance, even compresor, 'presetting' with a tube and sealant didn't help.

After a tube explosion and a spare tube failure on a 300k brevet, I developed a certain aversion to tubes.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by ChristianCoté View Post
    What has your experience with bike-discount.de been like, out of curiosity? I want to order something from them but fears of another Bike24 experience keep me from pulling the trigger.
    G'day ChristianCote,
    may I ask what your issue with Bike24 was?
    I've found them to be great but I'm always interested in hearing about exceptions to the rule.

I tend to use Bike24 as my go-to, such is my esteem.
    They and Starbike make a mockery of local prices here in Australia and are usually cheaper than Wiggle and Chainreaction Cycles on most items I've required.
    The German postage is a bit pedestrian compared to the Brits but on a par with USA from my experience.
    That said, I still bought my last frame from Jensonusa as well my rims.
    A custom set of touring wheels came from sunny California so i'm not one eyed about my love of things German.

Cheers

mtbr member
    I wonder what the deal is with the tubeless Almotions. Waiting.... waiting....
    Work to Ride - Ride to Work
    There's no such thing as bad weather, just bad clothing...