Slothful dirt hippie

RR: Moar fam bikepacking- rails2trails WA state OAB

So with husby's ankle still recovering and more time open, we decided to take the Buglet on yet another barging trip on the Iron Horse/John Wayne trail, a rails-to-trails route that goes over the Cascade range.

tl;dr version: took off from home over to Thorp and went up past South Cle Elum to an undisclosed area night 1, then further up past Easton to Lost Lake (behind/west of Keechelus) for night 2, then knocked out the return trip in one day.
    Day 1: 3:15 ride time, 29 miles
    Day 2: 3:20 26 miles
    Day 3: 4:15 50 miles
    Total: 11 hours and 105 miles. Yes, the kid did all of this on the trail-a-bike. !!!

More details posted here for the locals who probably care about the route details.

I made the mistake on day 2 of calculating that we're carring #100+ extra with kid/kid gear. No wonder we were tired!

Once again, having the feed bag on the TAB was brilliant, cannot recommend this enough for other parents considering these kinds of trips... We stopped by my parents house on the way out and grandpa loaded up a ziplock bag full of cookies that she rationed out herself long enough to last until mid Day 3.

Buglet finally home with proof she'd done a 100+ mile trip in 3 days, including a 50 mile day at the end. After a bath and some down time she was running around the house again... the parents are taking a little longer to recover 100%, lol.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    One day family bikepacking will be considered normal. In the meantime you have a head start on the trend.
    High fives all around.

Slothful dirt hippie
    Quote Originally Posted by coldbike View Post
    One day family bikepacking will be considered normal. In the meantime you have a head start on the trend...
    You know, I can only hope.... it's been really amazing seeing what she's able to do and to learn along the way as a not-quite-8-year-old. Like grasping what a 'mile' really means in various contexts (i.e. comparing 4 miles up to Manastash Lake vs 20/30/50 miles on a railroad grade). Learning to eat whatever's packed up, but also discovering "all camp food tastes great". The joys of hammocks. The misery of mosquitoes. Watching how a relaxed deer putts around eating bits of brush tips here and there. Watching how far diving ducks can swim underwater.

Probably the most astonishing thing she did was actually on our Manastash lake trip. We were hike-a-biking through a couple really nasty steep rocky pitches in the forest and knew we were close to the lake although not sure of exact distance when she suddenly chirped up next to me "DRAGONFLIES. [points at one buzzing by] I see blue dragonflies, and I haven't seen them before on this trip. Dragonflies like to live near water. I think we're very near the lake". Sure enough the lake hove into view through the trees maybe only 50' later.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."