mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Route suggestions for Southeast Singletrack bikepacking 1st trip

Hey Guys! A friend and I are gearing ourselves up for a singletrack 2 or 3 day bikepacking trip. We are located in Atlanta and are willing to travel some if necessary. My friend isn't top shape so major climbs and elevation aren't top of the list but a nice intro route with some beautiful views would be awesome! We want to get out into the wilderness rather than string together trails and ride along highways the entire time.

I checked out the Pinhoti via Mulberry Gap but I don't know the system well enough to string together a route that wouldn't involve endless miles of climbing. Does anyone know a nice 40-60 mile section of that particular area? It would be nice to start somewhere and end up in Cedartown where we could ride to a friends house via the Silver Comet "path". The threads I have found are over a year old.

Any help would be awesome guys!
    If the thread is struggling I will move it over to the Southeast forum but I think that place is pretty lifeless.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Surprising that no one would reply to this thread after 115 views. I decided to run the Palmetto trail in SC. Anyone know of open routes

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Dunno the area up north of GA, but if you want FL routes I can help you out... and as you can imagine, long climbs won't be a problem - LOL

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sellemt View Post
    Surprising that no one would reply to this thread after 115 views. I decided to run the Palmetto trail in SC. Anyone know of open routes
    I ran into the same thing asking about Virginia bikepacking routes.....then I posted in the area State/Region forums and got solid responses. If you haven't launched out already oyu might want to hit your state/regional forum. Good luck.

Ask about a west coast state and you'll get more info than you can process. I think the nature of the west coast trails lends itself to big miles with the abundance of fire roads linking up to single track. They can put together big loop sor point to point trips. Also the west has LARGE expanses national forest whereas we have smaller pockets.

Do the next guy a favor and post your route. We need to grow bikepacking in the east.

High Gravity Haze
    I think the reason you've not received many responses is because what you are looking for may not exist. A 40 to 60 mile stretch of the Pinhoti without long climbs seems highly unlikely to exist in my limited experience with the Pinhoti

The first resources that come to mind are SORBA Chattanooga's trail guide and the NWGA SORBA website , but like BikerDude001 said most trails here in the Southeast are in small pockets that are generally not linked at all. I'm thinking that you may have luck being able to link up something in Alabama (Coldwater Mountain?) to the Chief Ladiga trail and follow that to Cedartown on the Comet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    You may want to try the southern most section of the Georgia Pinhoti. Part of it is old rail road bed. There may be a good chunk of road as well. Try the Pinhoti Trail Alliance website. There is a section called Mr. Parkays trail maps . The whole site is a great recource. As you go North, even Dalton and up towards Mulbery gap spec7 is absolutely correct there isn't any flattish sections besides MAYBE the road section by Dalton.

The Pinhoti seems to have the most potential. Call Cartecay Bikes. The owner is an advocate of the Pinhoti. Nice guy as well.

Flow like water
    Take a look at Damascus, Virginia. The AT runs down main street. The Virginia Creeper trail branches off just outside of town. I have bikepacked the Creeper trail. Wilderness camping allowed in some sections. It's an out-and-back trail. Old rail line in part, from Abingdon VA to Whitetop near the NC border. Lots of information on Damascus and the VA Creeper trail is online.

Virginia Creeper Trail Guide - Virginia's Mountain Biking Adventure

Damascus, Virginia - Trail Town, USA

For a more challenging ride, the Iron Mountain trail also starts near Damascus, and extends northeast along the old AT route. It is a multi-use trail, so bikes are okay now. The Iron Mountain trail is my next bikepacking trip.
    "Head injuries are pretty high-consequence" - AndrwSwitch