Thread: Relevate tangle

mtbr member
    Jul 2012

Relevate tangle

I have this bag for while now and I think zipper feels quite hard and rough to close. Anybody got an idea hot to make it more fluid?

Co Springs
    Quote Originally Posted by toni31 View Post
    I have this bag for while now and I think zipper feels quite hard and rough to close. Anybody got an idea hot to make it more fluid?
    I think you can rub bar soap or a candle along the zipper to form a dry lubricant. If it helps reduce sticking and glide, the zipper may wear - in a bit over time to work smoother.
    In the Middle Ages, the biggest mistake was not putting on your armor because you were 'just going down to the corner.'

mtbr member
    Bar of soap or a candle? That's probably the easiest answer to your issue.
    I'm using two Revelate bags (tangle and a frame bag). Both had once tight zippers but have gotten easier.

If your solutions aren't working, you can use TiZip lube (found at boating shops for dry suit zippers and such) or an astounding product called "Crystal Clear Paste Wax". Supposedly it's sometimes used on bowling alleys. I use it on the soles of my hand planes when wood working. It's insanely slippery. Makes a huge difference.

Heck, I bet you could spray a shot of Pledge in your hand, then work it into the zipper. After the vehicle evaporates you are left w/ something much like wax. Probably something synthetic but it would probably do great.
    Heck, I think I'll add some to mine now.

What ever you use, try to avoid something that might remain wet and attracting more dirt.
    And whatever you use, you'll likely need to use it again after a few weeks.

-JCBs
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Today the storm washed my bike and I must admit the bag is not waterproof, or at least not stormproof.

mtbr member
    It's not advertised to be waterproof, so I'm not surprised.

Concerning the zipper, I would try to clean it first to get any grit etc. out that has accumulated. Then some kind of lube as suggested above should have it working great again.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Now that you mention it, it appears so. However at this price range, they cold have made it waterproof, whats the point of such storage bag if it leaks.

mtbr member
    Now that you mention it, it appears so. However at this price range, they cold have made it waterproof, whats the point of such storage bag if it leaks.
    Pretty much all bikepacking partial and full framebags are not fully waterproof. They may use waterproof fabric and/or waterproof zippers, but all of the seams will not be waterproof. There are some newer exceptions, like the Porcelain Rocket 52hz framebag, and maybe some Ortlieb bags.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Taped seams is not expensive technology these days.

mtbr member
    I was just getting ready to go all yap yap yap about Ortlieb but you covered it.
    --------- __o
    ------- _`\<,_
    ------ (*)/ (*)
    Running is for prey.

mtbr member
    Taped seams is not expensive technology these days.
    No, but it does add a bunch of manual labor and time to the manufacturing process. It's also something you can do yourself if you wanted to.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    No, after paying 130 eur for the bag, I dont consider I should be doing this myself even if I could.

mtbr member
    No, after paying 130 eur for the bag, I dont consider I should be doing this myself even if I could.
    I don't know where you are located, but that is very expensive for a Tangle. They sell for less than 80 Euros most places.

Since it sounds like you are in Europe, maybe the Ortlieb bag would have been a better option, European company and waterproof.

mtbr member
    I have a Revelate full frame bag. I would not consider it cheap, but it is handy and well-built. I also never considered it waterproof. There are waterproof zippers, but they require special care and attention. If you want a waterproof bag, generally a roll-top is the way to go. Don't know that anyone makes a Tangle-style bag that way, though. Basically, if it doesn't say "waterproof" I'm not going to assume it, and if it has a zipper, I'm definitely going to assume it's not waterproof.

I think the Revelate stuff is well made, and I really like all my gear, but I've paid attention to which pieces are waterproof and which are not. The frame bag gets the items that I'm not afraid to get wet, and it holds my water bladder sometimes, which has the potential to leak, so a waterproof frame bag might be a liability in that case. There are people who actually prefer to have some water-permeable gear space for that reason and others, so it's best not to assume.