mtbr member
    Nov 2013

Recumbent Trike for touring?

Anyone tried a Recumbent Trike for touring?

Stumbled across these today and have been looking into them, pretty expensive but seem like they would be great for all day bike expeditions?

The ICE Adventure ones look pretty good but haven't managed to find much from people that use these or other brands bikes

mtbr member

Hope

Off-road or on-road touring? If you are interested in on-road touring or rail trail type touring which is probably what a trike is more suited for, you might want to check out BentRider touring forums and of course Crazy Guy on a Bike.

Andrew

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Cheers for the links, more the rail trail type riding.

ECR
    carfree
    Sep 2013
    I have an HPV Scorpion with Rholoff which I use for touring

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    I have encountered numerous trikes and quads while touring. The folks all seem to really love them. Or once you have one maybe you have to say that to justify the silly things. Just kidding. One fellow said on really long days he was much faster and relaxed than on a standard touring bike. Last winter in NZ we saw many, mostly Euros. I would try one if possible before making the investment. They would seem difficult to travel with if that is a consideration.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Those HPV Scorpions look nice, there seems to be a place a few hours drive from me that stocks the performers bikes so I might be able to demo one.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    We have a recumbent shop in Oregon (Backcountry Recumbent Cycles) and specialize in touring recumbents. I've done many long distance, self supported tours on trikes and we sell all the top makes for touring. The ICE Adventure FS is a great choice if you want the comfort of full suspension. My personal favorite touring trike is the Azub TRIcon rear suspended trike. Azub is well known in Europe for building recumbent bikes and trikes that are suited for expedition type touring on any road surface.
    I rode an ICE Adventure RS on a tour from Florida to Pennsylvania a few years ago and the last 370 miles were on dirt on the C&O canal trail and the GAP into Pittsburg.
    One can use a trike for dirt road touring (the GDMBR was done on one in 2006 ) but my preference for dirt road touring is a recumbent bike like the Azub Max or the Azub Six. Less rolling resistance on softer surfaces with a bike, and rear wheel traction can be an issue on some steep grades riding a trike. An average size touring load on the rear rack helps the traction though.
    The best touring trike for pavement trips out there IMO is either of the Azub models. They are the only trike made that allows you to carry the same bags (front and rear panniers as well as a handlebar bag) that one can put on a regular upright bike.
    In terms of riding efficiency, I rode a self supported tour last summer with about 50 experienced cycle tourist on upright touring bikes, and was not only immensely more comfortable, but was overall faster than anyone else on the trip. The biggest advantage (other than the obvious one-comfort) is that they are substantially more aerodynamic than a loaded upright touring bike. At most touring speeds this is not that big of an advantage, but on downhills and into headwinds, it really becomes apparent.
    I've toured for almost 40 years now and would never consider doing a long road tour by anything other than by trike again.
    For bikepacking I use a Pugsley, and for dirt road touring I use a full suspension recumbent bike, but on pavement, it's trike all the way. If more folks would get over the image problem with touring by trike and tried one, they'd see what I'm talking about.

mtbr member
    On the topic of Azub TRIcon they have a nice tricked out one detailed on their blog. Not ideal for touring but

Andrew