Slothful dirt hippie

Random hammock intel

Thought this might be of interest to somebody out there since it was information I had a hard time getting before making the purchases.... This is a size comparison of a double layer Dream Hammock Dangerbird in 1.0 fabric, a double layer Warbonnet Blackbird 1.1, and a Warbonnet Superfly tarp. All of these bags are packed very loose so you can compress them into odd spaces, which is nice for cramming in the nose of the Revelate seat bag. The Dangerbird is more volume than the Blackbird since it has a solid zip-on overcover.

FWIW I was able to load the Blackbird, Superfly, stakes & tree straps (I carry the 'dirty/pitchy stuff' in a separate crud-isolation-bag), BA insulated air core pad, SOL bivy (ripped/retaped into a blanket config for extra hammock insulation or emergency ground sheet), and med Patagonia Nano puff jacket into a Revelate Viscacha bag without any trouble. That just leaves my sleeping bag and extra clothing for the handlebar dry bag, then food/cooking/misc for the camelbak.

For those of you out west who are considering hammocks, GET LARGER TREE STRAPS. Looks like the 'default' from a lot of places is 6'. By Washington standards the tree below would probably be described rather blandly as "a good sized tree", and as you can see it pretty well used up a 10' tree strap. I went ahead and ordered 4 6' Suspension Extensions from Arrowhead Outfitters in case we run into needing more line... guess I could have made them myself but splicing line that thin seems like a PITA.

We'll have more to report as the experiments continue.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Good timing !

2 days ago i ordered a new Travel Hammock / Bivi - DD Hammocks from a local site for only 36 Euro's, and it got deliverd this afternoon.
    I stll have to order some extra straps and a snakeskin to keep it dry, clean and untangled.
    It fits nicely in my Uraltour seatbag with room to spare.
    But i think i will roll it in one bundle together with my sleepingbag and self inflating airmatress and stuff it in a dry-bag.
    And the kitchen scale tells me it weighs 1036 grams.

I'm hoping to use it for a S24O trip somewhere next month.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Random hammock intel-dscn2028.jpg  

Slothful dirt hippie
    I checked out a local 'hammock hang' last weekend, and they'd set up in an aspen grove over mud and chunks of crusty old snow and beaver chewed logs. Hammocks FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by Rabies010 View Post
    ...I'm hoping to use it for a S24O trip somewhere next month.
    Yup, we're planning on some short shake-down cruises as well once it gets warmer. Today we drove all the kit we've got out to a local park, started a fire, and got a couple hammocks + tarp hung and hot dogs heated for us and the kid. Then the sun went down so we packed up and left. We didn't get to everything but it was just enough to get all the critical lines for the tarp done (still need to do the pull-outs) and set it up for the first time.
    "...Some local fiend had built it with his own three hands..."

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    *Double post*

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    I'm planning on trying it out indoors at a friend's place first to get the hang of it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I am just getting back in to biking but have been doing the hammock camping for years. If you have never tried it, do yourself a favor and give it a try. It is so much easier to find places to setup and so much more comfortable, at least IMO and a few other friends I have got to try it out. Have got a few of Warbonnets items and all are top notch.

Can not wait to start getting to do the camping thing with the bikes.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Does anyone have any experience with Exped Scout hammock combi?