Thread: Pugs Rack

mtbr member
    Jan 2013

Pugs Rack

Hey guys,
    I tried finding this before I posted but couldn't find any info, so I apologize if this has already been discussed! I am new to biking and am eager to get into bikepacking - I'm going to be riding a Neck Romancer and wanted to garner people's thoughts regarding pugsley racks for touring. Are they worth the weight? I do a lot of backpacking and have pretty light gear and am thinking I can get by with just a few frame bags and save some weight since the bike is already heavy and I am new to the sport. With that said, and because I am new I wonder if there is some aspect I don't yet foresee where racks would come in really useful. I'm going to be doing most of my touring in the four corners area if that makes a difference. Thanks a lot in advance!

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    There is a thread on this subject somewhat of rack/panniers vs frame bags and such. It was a bit hard to find, so here it is:

Rear Racks Vs Frame/Seat Bags

Personally, I switched from the frame/seat/bar bags to panniers (Jandd Mini-Mountain's) and drybags on top of the racks (Bontrager's, fully welded joints). I didn't like having to stuff all my crap into very small spaces and the "floating" of the seat and handlebar bags bothered me. I can't afford to spend the money on all the latest greatest, smallest, lightest items you need to have to fit into the smaller bags and be properly prepared either. Soon, hopefully, I will be welding up some of my own racks for my Pugsley and sewing another set of panniers to balance out my rear ones. I have kept using my frame bag however, because it is solid and makes a lot of sense to me.

Edit: Here is another thread that may be of some relevance to you: racktop duffle ?

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Hey thanks a ton Turtle for you help, those links are super helpful.

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    Hi mattvogt7
    I'm leaning toward an Ogre build and questions asked in different forums have me concluded thus: Surly racks although sturdy as (and have a front flat rack space which appeals to me greatly) are on the heavy side for what they can haul. I think I'm going to go with a Tubus Cosmo (stainless and with no paint to scratch) on the rear. Germanys bike24.com appear to have the least expensive that I've found in my searching.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    All: Let us all know if the Tubus Cargo SS rack works on the Pugs--I have a used Pugs at my local bike shop for assembly, looking for good stout racks front and rear, for bike camping kit hauling, and the dreaded groceries!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattvogt7 View Post
    Hey guys,
    I tried finding this before I posted but couldn't find any info, so I apologize if this has already been discussed! I am new to biking and am eager to get into bikepacking - I'm going to be riding a Neck Romancer and wanted to garner people's thoughts regarding pugsley racks for touring. Are they worth the weight? I do a lot of backpacking and have pretty light gear and am thinking I can get by with just a few frame bags and save some weight since the bike is already heavy and I am new to the sport. With that said, and because I am new I wonder if there is some aspect I don't yet foresee where racks would come in really useful. I'm going to be doing most of my touring in the four corners area if that makes a difference. Thanks a lot in advance!

I've got both setups for my Pugs. Just depends how much you want to carry.

I would say the weight of the bike/racks is not a huge concern. I've done big days in the mtns with my Pugs + racks + gear and I am not a strong rider. Having a rig that is 5-10lbs lighter is nice, but it's not a show stopper.

What is considerably better about the framebag + seat/bar bags is that you can ride rough terrain at something approaching full tilt without worrying you'll break a rack/pannier mount or eject a pannier. The bike is also much narrower and easier ride or push through tight quarters.

OTOH racks and panniers are an easy way to load a bike and a lot of people have them so it's often the cheapest way to start touring. If you need to carry water + food for a long duration racks can offer more cargo capacity which means you don't have to wear a heavy backpack.

I'm taking my GF out on her first bikepacking trip this spring. She'll be using bikepacking bags. I'll be using a bar bag + frame bag and a rack with panniers on the rear as I'll be carrying all the group gear and I want to have a couple luxury items with me so she gets hooked on the idea.

There is no wrong answer.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by véloneige View Post
    All: Let us all know if the Tubus Cargo SS rack works on the Pugs--I have a used Pugs at my local bike shop for assembly, looking for good stout racks front and rear, for bike camping kit hauling, and the dreaded groceries!

Two issues with the Pugs:

1 - both ends of the bike are spaced at 135mm so you want two rear racks
    2 - they are both offset 17.5mm to the right side which requires a bit of jury rigging to centre them

I've used OMM [Old Man Mountain] racks on both my Pugs. They are strong/light and because of the design can be mounted centred on the bike easily.

My oldest OMM rack is 9-10yrs old and going strong. They are made in the US.

I haven't tried the Cargo on my Pugs. I put one on my GF's commuter bike. It's a great rack. I can't see why it wouldn't fit the Pugs.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Cetma Racks work great on fatbikes!

mtbr member
    +1 on the OMM racks. Bullet proof.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Pugs Rack-omm-entire.jpg  

Pugs Rack-omm-rear.jpg  

Pugs Rack-omm-left.jpg  

Last edited by Zeitlupe; 02-14-2013 at 04:31 PM. Reason: Here is what it looks like on the Necro.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Riding off road, you really need a good mounting system for the panniers. I have a couple of army surplus bags that I can bolt to my racks that I know won't come off, but they are pretty small. If you can fit your stuff into a large acorn saddle and handlebar bag that may be a good way to go but they can sometimes be difficult to keep from swaying around a lot.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I like my stuff bullet proof and cost effective. So, I use Jandd Mini-Mountain panniers that have a non-elastic cinching hook for the bottom mount. I put a strap around the bag and rack with a quick release buckle to control sway, and as a bonus it makes it darn difficult for the bag to go vertical even if I forget to cinch the bottom hook (did it once on accident). No problems at all bouncing around mildly rough terrain on my Surly Troll. Oh, my racks are Bontrager Deluxe's and are welded completely around all joints. Only had them for one 100 mile mixed terrain tour, so can't make any fantastic claims on durability.

Edit: Doh, forgot this was about the Pugsley. I did do a test fit of my Bontrager Deluxe rack on my Pugsley and it would fit no problem. One leg inside, one outside of the chain stays to center the rack.