mtbr member
    May 2012

PSA Dimension Polyant VX21 Durability...

I made a nice frame bag a few weeks ago for my Salsa Fargo, using Dimension Polyant VX21 which I thought felt like it would have impressive durability.

I got the chance to try the bag out on a local charity moutain bike ride a couple of weeks ago, and it performed perfectly, holding all the stuff I would normally have in my backback.

Anyway, once I'd removed the mud I found that after only 22 miles I'd worn two small holes in the fabric. One where it touched the bottle cage and one where it touched a bottle cage bolt on the seat tube.

I've patched them using some shoe goo glue and a couple of bits of innertube, but I thought if anyone has made anything similar for a big ride but hasn't yet tested it they might want to do so before they find themselves with stuff falling out of holes! Any obvious wear points definately need reinforcing.

I work in .001 tolerances
    Thats great to show that. It's amazing what a small amount of vibration/rub can do after hundreds of hours or miles.

For this reason, I only use 1000D Cordura for the 'edgeband' that contacts the frame. Tough stuff without too much weight.

I've yet to see one wear completly through :thumbup:

Caveman
    it's key to remove bottle cage bolts and cover the holes. The typical square edge bottle bolts will wear through just about anything in time.