Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Post your FS bikepackers

Keep banging my head on the inevitable wall- why buy a nice hardtail frame, spend hundreds to have couplers welded in so I can take it anywhere I need to... when there's a full sus frame sitting around that could be readily adapted which would give me something more suitable for offroad?

I've seen a couple out there, what're you rolling?
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    im in the same boat, working on my set up now. Ill post once finished!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I'm using my Cruz Blur TRc for everything. Can't afford a task specific ride for all the things I'm into.

On a recent 2 day 150 mile jaunt of single tracks, jeep roads and long hike-a-bike stretches I was significantly faster than similarly fit single speeders on Karate Monkeys and other Surly 29'er offerings. So as long as my complicated suspension linkage and sensitive hydraulics work I get more naps and arrive less exhausted

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jan_nikolajsen View Post
    I'm using my Cruz Blur TRc for everything. Can't afford a task specific ride for all the things I'm into.

On a recent 2 day 150 mile jaunt of single tracks, jeep roads and long hike-a-bike stretches I was significantly faster than similarly fit single speeders on Karate Monkeys and other Surly 29'er offerings. So as long as my complicated suspension linkage and sensitive hydraulics work I get more naps and arrive less exhausted

how heavy was your handle bar bag, you notice it on the decent? on the uphill did you notice more bob then normal b/c of the FS?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    I left the suspension with the same setting as unloaded and still had the firm and efficient pedaling platform I'm used to from VPP. On this bike I regularly ride 10 miles of pavement one way to our closest trails without feeling bobbing or squatting or other rear suspension feedback. It just works.

The handlebars were supporting two Mountain Feedbags full of snacks, map, electronics, plus the big roll strapped forward of the bars with Thermarest, sleepingbag, groundcloth and bivy-tarp. No steering issues besides some drift on one paved high speed descent through a hairpin. Also had to get used to not being able to see my front tire in technical terrain.

Hope this helps!

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    Keep banging my head on the inevitable wall- why buy a nice hardtail frame, spend hundreds to have couplers welded in so I can take it anywhere I need to... when there's a full sus frame sitting around that could be readily adapted which would give me something more suitable for offroad?

I've seen a couple out there, what're you rolling?
    Are you talking about taking the bike apart to put it in a travel case?

mtbr member
    [QUOTE=jan_nikolajsen;9194039]I left the suspension with the same setting as unloaded and still had the firm and efficient pedaling platform I'm used to from VPP. On this bike I regularly ride 10 miles of pavement one way to our closest trails without feeling bobbing or squatting or other rear suspension feedback. It just works.

The handlebars were supporting two Mountain Feedbags full of snacks, map, electronics, plus the big roll strapped forward of the bars with Thermarest, sleepingbag, groundcloth and bivy-tarp. No steering issues besides some drift on one paved high speed descent through a hairpin. Also had to get used to not being able to see my front tire in technical terrain.

Hope this helps![/QUOTE

yes it did! just looking to get a set up for my trek fuel ex for the colorado trail! Im thinking i want to keep as little weight as possible on the handle bars... if i can im going to avoid it all together but not sure thats possible!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Fitted out for a couple of days of Summer camping.

Fitted out for a couple of weeks, sleeping under a fly .

Fitted out for a couple of months, without the need for resupplying and expecting all weather conditions. There isn't any where to adequately resupply, for very long distances, on remote trails, like Australia's Bicentennial National Trail. The trailer allows me to take my time. The trailer can carry 30kg (I eat well) and on the beam rack, I only carry light stuff in the panniers, like a sleeping bag and clothes, at a max of 6-8kg.

I hadn't intend touring off-road with the 2010 Anthem X3, when I bought it. The bike was bought as a light weight run-around for hilly fire trails and rural lanes. I thought that it would be heavy on the maintenance and too fragile for extended touring off-road hauling weight, but the bike has been as strong as any bike that I've owned. Hauling the trailer has mattered nought to the frame and the Maestro linkages, surprisingly. The Maestro suspension has remained as firm and as true as the day that I bought the bike. The only changes that I've made to the bike, have been replacing the spd pedals with combination spd/platforms and fitting bar ends.

Warren.
    Last edited by Wild Wassa; 04-15-2012 at 11:36 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    hey saddleup- yup, being able to fit it into a normal sized case requires either a breakdown bike like a ritchey (who don't make breakaway mtb's anymore for some reason), or an ibis tranny, or something with couplers added.
    I'm not big on the idea of a touring specific frame (like the new LHT deluxe) because the touring is only to get me where the fun parts are.

plan so far is my heckler, custom framebags, I think the talas fork will go back on instead of the dorado sc, annnnnd that's about it really.
    debating tossing the alfine in, I like the idea, but not sure because not only can I not really fix it myself, but I don't know how I'd bodge it into a ss if I needed to.
    If steel is real then aluminium is supercallafragiliniun!

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Hey Warren, you're setups are fantastic and the ExtraWheel is definitely on my list of needs. What are you using in that last picture to hold the panniers over the rear wheel of your Giant?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by byknuts View Post
    I'm not big on the idea of a touring specific frame (like the new LHT deluxe) because the touring is only to get me where the fun parts are.
    byknuts, G'day. That's pretty much my attitude too. It is good to be able to set up camp, dump the weight and go exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by emat View Post
    ... the ExtraWheel is definitely on my list of needs. What are you using in that last picture to hold the panniers over the rear wheel of your Giant?
    Emat, G'day.

The Extrawheel Voyager Solo with the wheel and the Vaude Roadmaster rear panniers is about 5.5kg, all up.

It is the Topeak Beam Rack MTX A-Type with the Topeak Dual Side Frames. The Beam rack has a recommended maximum load of only 8 kg. The beam rack needs to be installed very tightly, so that it doesn't shift when cornering.

The little bag in front of the seat post, was a ridiculous purchase. It soon got the bullet.

Warren.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    WOAH! is that and adjustable seat post????? Reverb??? wouldn't that scratch the Stanton!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Right on, neil–it's a joy.

Specialized Blacklite. It works going down; needs a little help going up with the bag on it. I didn't notice any undue wear on it.

I was unsure on that ride what kind of tech terrain I'd be finding on this ride, and planned other riding on this particular trip, so I left the dropper on it. Worked out well.

Cheers,

Mike

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Right on, neil–it's a joy.

Specialized Blacklite. It works going down; needs a little help going up with the bag on it. I didn't notice any undue wear on it.

I was unsure on that ride what kind of tech terrain I'd be finding on this ride, and planned other riding on this particular trip, so I left the dropper on it. Worked out well.

Cheers,

Mike
    I have a reverb and was considering it? what type of saddle bag is that??

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by neil.beltchenko View Post
    I have a reverb and was considering it? what type of saddle bag is that??
    It's a medium-sized bag made by Carousel which I purchased through Adventure Cycling's Cyclosource catalog. I notice it's not available from them anymore. I did see Revelate's, which I would put my money on any day (in fact I got the Carousel b/c, at that time, the Revelate was backordered). The seat post straps on the Revelate bag look like they might be better suited for a dropper post. On mine I have to leave the bottom of the big Velcro flap loose so the fatter part of the post can slide up into it. My guess is my Blacklite post would would work both down and up if I left the Relevate top strap tight and the bottom nice and loose (or secured out of the way entirely). I think it's possible the Revelate two-strap design had this in mind.

Cyclosource: Revelate Viscasha

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Warren...thats an awesome set up mate! I have a 2009 anthem and had not thought about using it to tour with, but after owning it for a while now was thinking about it, and after seeing what you have done with your bike I am sold! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'll post mine up here in a few days, as soon as I get all the gear together and take some pics.

I've got a GF SuperFly 100 with a Revelate Sling, Pika seat bag, jerrycan and a Performance Bike gas tank. I'll be using a CamelBak Mule for the backpack. Looking forward to my 3 day adventure in June.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Thanks for the reply Warren. That's some clever racking. Arkel makes a seatpost rack that I believe solves the potential problem of side-side sway in that it also attaches to the saddle rails. Although the recommended max load is only 6kg, a little less than the Topeak.

Eric

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    @ jan_nikolajsen - what is that bag on your top tube?

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Here is my setup. Just missing the Fuel Tank. I'll be getting the cheapo one from Performance (http://media.performancebike.com/ima...-BLK-ANGLE.jpg) as with my stem setup, there isn't the room for the Revelate one.

Sling + REI Dry bag for the handlebar
    Revalate Pika for the seat bag
    Jerrycan for the seat tube/seat post junction

I'm having 2nd thoughts about using that Pika seat bag on the carbon seat post. Thinking about going back to aluminium

-Tom

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Homemade! See here.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    I've made quite a few frame bags now but here's my most recent. The capacity is noticeably smaller on my Remedy compared to my Fargo and Chili Con Crosso due to the monster tubes, generous standover clearance and the rear shock. Still usuable space though. I think I'm going to remake the bag 3.5" wide rather than 2.5" for more capacity and make it an inch closer to the shock. I wanted a decent amount of space between the bag and the shock so I can still reach for pro-pedal but I think i was a bit too cautious. I have a Thomson Elite post that I swap out so I can use my Revelate tail bag and I have my own DIY Top tube bag / handlebar sling and use a Wingnut Hyper 3.0

Borrow the rest of the bags from my CX Bike:
    Last edited by thesergeant; 04-24-2012 at 04:12 PM.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    really like those bags sergeant.. how long does it take to make them??
    interested in selling one?? lol

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by zkid09 View Post
    really like those bags sergeant.. how long does it take to make them??
    interested in selling one?? lol
    Thanks! Time really varies. Surprisingly the top tube bags take the most amount of time for me. As for frame bags? They vary. If you're just doing a straight frame bag with no grosgrain, no additional pockets, etc. etc. it could take a few hours. The more details, the more time.

It took me maybe 4 or 5 frame bags before I was was really satisfied with the quality and fit. When I added up the cost of the fabric, zippers, velcro, etc. I realized that I spent more money to get one really nice bag (and 4 mediocre ones that I won't use) than I would if I just ordered one straight from Porcelain Rocket or the like. That's the catch with DIY. By the time your skills up to a level where you're making some nice stuff you've invested quite a bit of money and a serious amount of time. BUT if you enjoy the process like I do, it's worth it.

Sell one? I would --I have quite a bit of leftover X-pac. Shoot me a PM if you're interested.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast