Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009

Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!

hey guys! I'm about to pull the trigger on some bags for my pugs!

I'm interested in watching your setups, I know there are some posted around in specific threads, but I think it would be nice to have them all in one thread with their specifications (or at least the basics and intended use of your setup).

Also I'm interested about the water bottles add-ons on forks or other tubes when you don't have braze-ons for it. (I know CK posted something about it somewhere but search didn't help the first time)

Thanks!
    Last edited by martinsillo; 04-06-2011 at 11:10 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Here's a partial setup pic with my (Epic!) Revelate seat bag and mountain feed bag from a long day ride:

IMAG1482

I have a front harness that I've used on my road bike for overnight touring. Hoping to get out next year on the Pugs for a winter overnight.

mtbr member
    Pictures of my bike has been posted before, but here some more:

I made a frame bag myself. It is nowhere near Revelate Designs quality, but still very useful and I would not want to be without it.

My fork bottle mounts, per instructions from Coastkid. The clamps are from cheap (two bucks) LED rear lights. I broke one when the snow crust broke completely at speed, but otherwise they have held up better than I thought they would.

The bike packing setup has been tested and proved to work in winter conditions. A front and rear rack makes it possible bring the necessary stuff in two dry bags and not use a backpack.

In warmer weather, when a bulky winter sleeping bag and down jacket are not needed, the rear rack would probably suffice, at least for shorter tours.
    My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    thanks guys!...looking forward to more pics!
    I'm in line for some bags from Scott at theporcelainrocket

mtbr member

beach camping setup

Seen here somewhere before - but was happy how the smaller frame bag left room for a water bottle. Tent, sleeping bag, white gas stove, water filter and food - all there.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    thanks meso...the frame-bag is one of my concerns about the setup...good to know that one worked nice for you...but as master D said to me...you can always put a bottle in the bag....this will have me thinking for when my build starts.

FatBike Fiend

Winter setup

Stove, cookpot, food, fuel, -20 bag, pad, tent, down parka, primaloft pants, pogies,etc. Rear pack has internal stays which bolt to the frame's rack mounts to prevent swaying and mounts low enough to be able to swing your leg over it easily. No racks needed.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-marks-bike-gear.jpg  

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Joe, those Surly Open Bars? They look like it. How you liking them on the Pug? I just went for a set on my Big Dummy and so far so good.

Greg
    I am a co-owner of Schlick Cycles.

mtbr member
    Yep... And I love them! I had these bars on my Big Dummy since last July. I borrowed them from the BD to put on the Pugsley, so I have to get another one for the BD sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by schmenzer
    Joe, those Surly Open Bars? They look like it. How you liking them on the Pug? I just went for a set on my Big Dummy and so far so good.

Greg

mtbr member
    Here's how it used to be done by people doing serious distances.

Arthur Richardson - 1st across Nullarbor 1896, 1st round Oz in 1899-1900 (B)
    As little bike as possible, as silent as possible.
    Latitude: 5736' Highlands, Scotland

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    nice Velo...he look a bit cramped

mtbr member
    Nice Mark - the framer on the pic of my Purple pugs is also a "Wildfire" bag. The pugs now sports an Epic Designs frame bag - and on that large Pugs, I can pack a lot of "insecurities".

Love that Knik Glacier Ice in the background.
    "I get a buzz from being cold and wet ~ the pleasure seems to balance out the pain" - Blue, Red and Grey The Who By Numbers

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Love it Velobike.

When they got freewheels I understand that rear rack loading become common, as the fixie escape route was no longer required. Bill P

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill P
    Love it Velobike.

When they got freewheels I understand that rear rack loading become common, as the fixie escape route was no longer required. Bill P
    Some did, some didn't...

Francis Birtles, Warren & Robert Lennie, at Eucla WA, 1907. Lennies attempting Perth-Sydney record

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    pretty much ready for my first real bikepacking trip!

Fat-Bikepacking v.1.0

mtbr member
    Looks good - what does your camping gear weigh?

a lazy pedaler
    Jul 2009
    ^^
    that's why I said "pretty much ready" and not "ready"...my current camping gear weigh a ton!...I don't even fit properly in my cheap and bulky "two person" tent....I will try to make it work as it is for my first trip but I know I'm on the heavy/not proper side right now.
    I think a Hennessy Hammock will come one of these days

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

Test packing

Test packing and riding for upcoming off-the-road trip. Worked surprisingly well with weight on the front too. Riding was steady and the bike climbed well.

One car less.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Half-fat on Drummond Island last month. Sleeping bag, pad, and bivy bag in the Epic/Revelate sling; stove, pump, food and hatchet in the frame bag. Camera, tools, snacks, compass in the gas tank bag.
    Extra clothes were in a compression bag strapped to the seat, but that was a failure, so they ended up in my REI daypack along with an insulated jacket, rain clothes and my old camelback res.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-pugmonkey-packed-muddycropped.jpg  

mtbr member

Fitting bags, planning trips

Here's my fatback in full bike-packing dress mode. Just a fitting - a few odds and ends thrown in to give the bags shape. I've been using the rack and framebag for awhile on shorter excursions. Added revelate's handlebar harness today and fit the ortlieb rear rollers from my lht. The panniers will probably only be used for longer trips on the main gravel roads. I can carry more than I need for most trips in a front and rear dry bags. I will try the panniers offroad though as they seem pretty secure. Anyone else using them?

BTW thats a new 27tpi larry on the front. Some were concerned about how to tell the difference between the two larrys - easy the 27 is quite rough inside compared to the 120 which is very smooth. Someone else on here has mentioned this before, but thought Id chime in about the obvious difference. Running the 120 on the back. Any opinions on whether the heavier, cheaper tire, less supple tire would be better front or rear?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-full-camping-setup.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Nice looking setup. I might have put the 27 on the rear only because steering and going over bumps might work out better with the 120 on the front. Nothing scientific, just a guess.

Btw, how long did it take you to get your frame bag. I placed an order with money down March 2nd. Still no bag almost four months later. Then I got an email about mid June saying he's taking a biking vacation till the end of the month. I'm wondering if he ever considered all the people ( including me ) who've been waiting months to take their vacations and need their bag. This doesn't seem like good business to me.

mtbr member
    Originally I planned to do this post when my new Revelate Designs custom frame bag arrives but it seems that it is now stuck in the ultra-slow "logistics" of Finnish postal service, Itella.

In the meantime here is my current setup.

When the new bag finally arrives I will do a detailed blog post of my bikepacking setup.
    "Cycling is not the whole life, it's much more."
    www.tonilund.fi - Facebook - Twitter - Google+

R.I.P. Pugsley.
    Quote Originally Posted by suba View Post
    Btw, how long did it take you to get your frame bag. I placed an order with money down March 2nd. Still no bag almost four months later. Then I got an email about mid June saying he's taking a biking vacation till the end of the month. I'm wondering if he ever considered all the people ( including me ) who've been waiting months to take their vacations and need their bag. This doesn't seem like good business to me.
    I saw the anouncement of backorders etc on the site a while back, and i was a bit bummed out by that.
    I hope that he will pick up normal production once again real soon.

mtbr member

2+ months

[QUOTE=suba;8173594]
    Btw, how long did it take you to get your frame bag. QUOTE]

Hey Suba,
    I ordered my frame bag back in January when Revelate was estimating the wait at about two months. Took almost three months to get mine, but Eric was upfront about being backlogged with orders. My sense is he's right at the point where he needs to take on some help to keep up with demand. The wait sucks, though, no doubt about it. If it's any consolation, the bags are first class and well thought out with lots of nice touches. The Harness is down right ingenious. Not my place to offer apologies for Eric, but gotta say it must be tough to "live the life" and run a business. Right now he's somewhere on the Lost Coast fatbiking and packrafting with mikesee and Roman Dial. mikesee's photos, which he promised to post on mtbr, should include lots of shots of Revelate goods in action. Hope you get yours soon.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast