Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Summer is here, so bump for a top thread....

I got this small frame bag today for only £13 Excellent little bag, that will work well enough this summer, until I get the custom gear made, which will take a little time.

Enough room for most items & both cages can be accessed This I like

I will post back later in the week with more fatpacking news

Keep the pics coming folks
    Drink coffee....ride bikes....eat cake
    http://morayfatbike.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Motorman, just a little question, is that a B17 Standard or a Narrow?

mtbr member
    I really like my revelate bags.
    Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-uploadfromtaptalk1351898650307.jpg  

laotzucycles.blogspot.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Very Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    Here's a partial setup pic with my (Epic!) Revelate seat bag and mountain feed bag from a long day ride:

IMAG1482

I have a front harness that I've used on my road bike for overnight touring. Hoping to get out next year on the Pugs for a winter overnight.
    How do you like the Surly so far?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by triman3 View Post
    How do you like the Surly so far?
    love it. bought it at the right price just before the muk 1 was release. would have liked to get the new muk with alternators... but i had one of the best winters ever to ride that pugs.

currently have a full frame bag for it, along with a jerry can and gas tank. thinking about a winter overnight, but not sure if i have the right gear yet. depends on the weather and if i get to a lean to or not...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Salsa Ti Mukluk with Porcelain Rocket bags in Winter Mode
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-20120328171350_0040-6.jpg  

Adventurer | Photographer | Writer
    50,000 Miles of Human Powered Adventure

Follow along at www.thetravelingvagabond.com

mtbr member
    Here's my Pugger on an overnighter last week.

mtbr member
    Something n this thread seems wrong to me, I wold seem the bikes are getting fat and the bags are getting skinny! Is it my computer or is this true? I thought it was supposed to be the other way around! LOL
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    B17 Standard

mtbr member
    Thank you
    I really like the B17, but find it way to wide to get behing on technical descends

mtbr member
    No problem.

Here is mine from a few months ago

mtbr member
    Maybe a silly question, but why fat bikes for bikepacking and why not just a normal rigid bike that would pedal much more efficiently? Not trolling or anything just curious why fat bikes so often go with bike packing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by GnarBrahWyo View Post
    Maybe a silly question, but why fat bikes for bikepacking and why not just a normal rigid bike that would pedal much more efficiently? Not trolling or anything just curious why fat bikes so often go with bike packing.
    With higher pressure in the fat tires it isn't really much less efficient to pedal than a normal rigid bike.

The reason you see more fatbikes for bikepacking here, is probably that MTBR is more aimed towards offroad riding. Fatbikes do make sense offroad, both during the winter and summer.

I personally have (only) two bikes and both are used for bikepacking. When there are significant sections on road planned, I take my Salsa Fargo. Otherwise I ride a Salsa Mukluk. Road only riding does not interest me.
    My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

mtbr member
    My bike in winter overnighter mode:

Yukon Rider

BG weighed, packed and ready for 1st solo adventure

Riding solo from Carmacks, Yukon back to my home in Whitehorse, Yukon. I will follow the Yukon Quest trail which has a small window from beginning of February to mid February. 26 dog teams registered this year to date and snowmobile support will pack this section heading on to Fairbanks, AK. I will attempt to ride this in 2-3 days depending on weather and trail conditions. I did the 160k section last year starting from Braeburn to Whitehorse in 2 days, yet it typically gets done in one. My Muk3 was carrying too much gear, upgraded to my new Salsa BearGrease which is tuned into a lighter beast as I get better at packing. I love this bike for its weight, nimbleness, and fun meter factor when out riding

I will take pictures while out on the trail and hopefully blog after the trip as this section is deemed one of the tougher sections of the 1000+ miles of the YQ. I have a detailed excel spreadsheet someone designed for bike packing I found on the web if anyone is interested in weights and distribution.

Scott at Porcelain Rocket did an amazing job on my bags. The only thing I wished was a bit bigger on the BG is the frame bag as I am riding a small frame!

Check out Yukon Quest Trail for details on trail and even a 3-D Fly over which does not work with Firefox; Safari does though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-dsc_0019.jpg  

Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-dsc_0011.jpg  

Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-dsc_0009.jpg  

Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-dsc_0007.jpg  

Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-dsc_0002.jpg  

2013 Salsa BearGrease
    2010 Surly Cross Chek
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight (regular tweaks)

slow:biker
    Dec 2009
    Derek - great looking set up. All the best on your first solo trip.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek.Endress View Post
    Riding solo from Carmacks, Yukon back to my home in Whitehorse, Yukon. I will follow the Yukon Quest trail which has a small window from beginning of February to mid February. 26 dog teams registered this year to date and snowmobile support will pack this section heading on to Fairbanks, AK. I will attempt to ride this in 2-3 days depending on weather and trail conditions. I did the 160k section last year starting from Braeburn to Whitehorse in 2 days, yet it typically gets done in one. My Muk3 was carrying too much gear, upgraded to my new Salsa BearGrease which is tuned into a lighter beast as I get better at packing. I love this bike for its weight, nimbleness, and fun meter factor when out riding

I will take pictures while out on the trail and hopefully blog after the trip as this section is deemed one of the tougher sections of the 1000+ miles of the YQ. I have a detailed excel spreadsheet someone designed for bike packing I found on the web if anyone is interested in weights and distribution.

Scott at Porcelain Rocket did an amazing job on my bags. The only thing I wished was a bit bigger on the BG is the frame bag as I am riding a small frame!

Check out Yukon Quest Trail for details on trail and even a 3-D Fly over which does not work with Firefox; Safari does though
    Why do you have your grips on backward?
    “An adventure is misery and discomfort, relived in the safety of reminiscence.” Marco Polo

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek.Endress View Post
    Riding solo from Carmacks, Yukon back to my home in Whitehorse, Yukon.
    That is one extremely good looking setup. Good luck on the trip, it looks very interesting.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Awesome looking bags. I absolutely love the white. Scott does such an amazing job. Best of luck on the trip. I am headed to AK in two weeks for my own winter fatbikes tour.

Cheers.

Glenn
    Adventurer | Photographer | Writer
    50,000 Miles of Human Powered Adventure

Follow along at www.thetravelingvagabond.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2008

Davie Hogan a.k.a. Lard Ass. A little fat going far

Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-img_5831.jpg

A little heavy for the places I ride. A little light for a world tour.

Bike Grease and Coffee

Big B's Trails
    Sat. on my S24, in the Mojave Desert.

I dig dirt!

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post
    Stove, cookpot, food, fuel, -20 bag, pad, tent, down parka, primaloft pants, pogies,etc. Rear pack has internal stays which bolt to the frame's rack mounts to prevent swaying and mounts low enough to be able to swing your leg over it easily. No racks needed.
    Hey there, that seat bag looks great, nice and stable. I wanted one for my Fargo, what exact make is it?

mtbr member
    Here is my rig on the remote 2 week trip I did down Salsipuedes canyon in Mexico last month. When I started I had 40 litres of water! A Pugsley with Extrawheel trailer and Alpackaraft.

Lighten up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    Here is my rig on the remote 2 week trip I did down Salsipuedes canyon in Mexico last month. When I started I had 40 litres of water! A Pugsley with Extrawheel trailer and Alpackaraft.

Would you recommend the Extrawheel?

mtbr member
    Yeah it is a good trailer. I'd still rather go trailer-less but if you need it to haul stuff then I'd say it's the best one I have used. Securing it to the offset Pugsley is a pain in the a$$. They don't make them anymore with these sidebags, instead with pannier mount racks.

Here is the blog entry for that trip, still need to add more photos:

BajaNomad Forums - "Peace, Love & Fish Tacos"

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast