Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by spovegas View Post

One thing I have a question about, for those of you that have done a fair amount of bikepacking with soft packs, is how you deal with abrasion to your frame paint. Mine is wearing fast and bigtime. I'm not all that anal about appearance, but at the same time, it's hard to look the other way when your frame is getting sanded all to hell at 9 different places just by your frame bag alone. The frame is aluminum and so I'm not worried about corrosion, but it still seems somehow wrong to just ignore this. Maybe some helicopter tape? Although it seems like it would take a lot of time and effort? Or just not worry about it?

What say you . . .
    That bothers me too. I wrapped my new bike frame in cling-film and scotch tape on the frame area where there's contact with bags. I did a blog post on the setup with a couple pics here Protecting Bike Frame for Bikepacking Duties?
    It works really well so far....
    Just a fat old guy riding a fat old bike...
    Follow my antics at tent.bike

mtbr member
    Thanks, rooze, that's a creative approach.

I also did a quick search and turned up some opinions/ideas here and here and here.

My recent trip was a particularly muddy one, so that accelerated the wear for sure. I think I'll order some helicopter tape and try it out in a few of the high wear spots.

mtbr member
    Oct 2013
    I use 3m heli tape where the bags rub on the frame.
    Nothing ventured, nothing gained ... http://doricdiversions.com

Latitude: 57º 45' Aberdeenshire, Scotland.

mtbr member
    I gave up after a while

mtbr member
    The setup:
    Salsa Blackborrow DS
    Anything cages: tent on the left, sleeping pad on the right
    Sleeping bag off the handle bars
    Revelate Frame bag and Visacha seat bag for everything else
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-image.jpg  

"Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter."

mtbr member
    Are these new Anything Cages that don't crack?

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    DSC01737 copy by kullaberg631, on Flickr

Krampus, On One Inbred, Santa Cruz Highball.

mtbr member
    ^^^Righteous^^^

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_BC View Post
    Are these new Anything Cages that don't crack?
    Get the new HD Anything cage - no more issues!

As usual, Jan is living right!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlyBuckeye View Post
    The setup:
    Salsa Blackborrow DS
    I like your setup. Do you mind me asking what tent you are using?

I have Revelate designs sweetroll and visacha due to arrive in the mail tomorrow, but I'm going to need a smaller tent and more compact bag to run without my usual panniers....

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by rooze View Post
    I like your setup. Do you mind me asking what tent you are using?.
    Using a REI Quarter Dome 2

Mark_BC...
    They are the new anything cage HD, working well so far
    "Events in the past may be roughly divided into those which probably never happened and those which do not matter."

mtbr member
    Feb 2012

The camel on last week's bikepacking trip across the Galilee, northern Israel.

It's a 2011 Pugsley with Titec J-bars (which I'm undecided on - I don't get much use out of the extra hand positions, and I don't like the handling), duct-tape-based ghetto tubeless setup, and five water bottles clamped to the frame. Weight of bike unloaded = effin' heavy. Weight of bike loaded = even worse.

Tent, sleeping bag, and odds and ends in the handlebar roll. Food in the frame pack. Clothes and potset/stove in the saddlebag, and Thermarest rolled up on top of that. Overflow food capacity in a backpack, which I probably could have done without.

The fat tires really weren't necessary at all on this ride; they were more suited to last month's ride in Jordan (Southern Jordan - Julian Bender - Travels and Photos). The worst conditions I encountered, tire width couldn't help with - sticky mud that clogged the drivetrain, making not only riding, but even walking impossible. Don't ride here after rain...

Rest of the photos: Bikepacking the Galilee - Album on Imgur
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

mtbr member
    Apr 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by spovegas View Post
    One thing I have a question about, for those of you that have done a fair amount of bikepacking with soft packs, is how you deal with abrasion to your frame paint. Mine is wearing fast and bigtime. I'm not all that anal about appearance, but at the same time, it's hard to look the other way when your frame is getting sanded all to hell at 9 different places just by your frame bag alone. The frame is aluminum and so I'm not worried about corrosion, but it still seems somehow wrong to just ignore this. Maybe some helicopter tape? Although it seems like it would take a lot of time and effort? Or just not worry about it?

What say you . . .
    That bothers me too. I wrapped my new bike frame in cling-film and scotch tape on the frame area where there's contact with bags. I did a blog post on the setup with a couple pics here Protecting Bike Frame for Bikepacking Duties?
    It works really well so far....
    Quote Originally Posted by Robopotomus View Post
    I use 3m heli tape where the bags rub on the frame.
    I gave up after a while
    This? https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...FrameSaverTape
    I live in Indy and work with the coolest people in the world at TreeStuff.com

Gotta have Bonnervision

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post

The camel on last week's bikepacking trip across the Galilee, northern Israel.

It's a 2011 Pugsley with Titec J-bars (which I'm undecided on - I don't get much use out of the extra hand positions, and I don't like the handling), duct-tape-based ghetto tubeless setup, and five water bottles clamped to the frame. Weight of bike unloaded = effin' heavy. Weight of bike loaded = even worse.

Tent, sleeping bag, and odds and ends in the handlebar roll. Food in the frame pack. Clothes and potset/stove in the saddlebag, and Thermarest rolled up on top of that. Overflow food capacity in a backpack, which I probably could have done without.

The fat tires really weren't necessary at all on this ride; they were more suited to last month's ride in Jordan (Southern Jordan - Julian Bender - Travels and Photos). The worst conditions I encountered, tire width couldn't help with - sticky mud that clogged the drivetrain, making not only riding, but even walking impossible. Don't ride here after rain...

Rest of the photos: Bikepacking the Galilee - Album on Imgur
    great trip and images. when i was young i spend some time in moshaw Sde Eli'ezer, just south of Kiryat Shmona, and than made my way all the way down to Eilat and bac k to Jerusalem to Tel Aviv and home. even though i got into some sketchy situations i had great time. i only had small backpack and slept on towel. not sure i could do it again.
    here is my fat setup, just about ready to roll from month ago.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-10866076_962076540480125_3285746358705730814_o.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Beautiful images of Israel, no idea it gets that green in the spring.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    See my signature for way more examples. The mid-east is not all brown and dusty! Well, not all the time. Just for 6-8 months out of the year.
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

mtbr member
    Here is my rig on the remote 2 week trip I did down Salsipuedes canyon in Mexico last month. When I started I had 40 litres of water! A Pugsley with Extrawheel trailer and Alpackaraft.

Awesome set-up!

Which size Alpackaraft did you use? How'd you like it? Any pics of it loaded with the bike and trailer?

Sounds like a great trip!
    ISO: 22" GT Rebound frame, year 2000 model

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Medic Zero View Post
    Which size Alpackaraft did you use? How'd you like it? Any pics of it loaded with the bike and trailer?
    The Yak. I love my Alpackaraft. It is the only piece of equipment I have that I can't find any improvements I'd make, except for adding more grab attachment points but you can stick those on easily yourself.

Here is a blog report I did for the trip with photos of the raft fully loaded. It's amazing how much stuff you can stuff inside the pontoons via the cargo fly option. I totally filled it up, I couldn't fit any more large items in it.

I am hoping to go back and do some further exploration in that area with a new bike I am building.

mtbr member
    The Yak. I love my Alpackaraft. It is the only piece of equipment I have that I can't find any improvements I'd make, except for adding more grab attachment points but you can stick those on easily yourself.

Here is a blog report I did for the trip with photos of the raft fully loaded. It's amazing how much stuff you can stuff inside the pontoons via the cargo fly option. I totally filled it up, I couldn't fit any more large items in it.

I am hoping to go back and do some further exploration in that area with a new bike I am building.
    Great write up! Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by SurlyBuckeye View Post
    The setup:
    Salsa Blackborrow DS
    I`m getting setup up for my first bikepacking trip with my fatbike. I was wondering how your bike handles with tent and sleeping pad hanging on fork versus having them off a rack in the back. I would worry the weight will throw off the handling being on the front versus the back. Does anyone have some experience to compare.

Thanks

Yukon Rider
    Where did you get your Extrawheel from for a Fattie? I had one for road touring which I sold, and would love to get another for my Salsa.
    Thanks, Derek

2015 Salsa BearGrease Aluminum w/carbon fork

mtbr member

Thanks for the link to your epic blog post. That's the best thing I've read online in forever.
    Hope you get to do another trip like that and to share it...

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Adventure Dan View Post
    I`m getting setup up for my first bikepacking trip with my fatbike. I was wondering how your bike handles with tent and sleeping pad hanging on fork versus having them off a rack in the back. I would worry the weight will throw off the handling being on the front versus the back. Does anyone have some experience to compare.

Thanks
    I haven't finished building my fat bike, so I can't speak to that particularly. However, on. my Fargo, I don't mind it that much. If you get too much weight on the rear end, handling starts getting wonky. The biggest downside I have experienced with a front load is difficulty lofting the front wheel. You don't experience the same type of really bad handling with a bit of a front load as with getting rear heavy

mtbr member
    Thanks for the link to your epic blog post. That's the best thing I've read online in forever.
    Hope you get to do another trip like that and to share it...
    Thanks. I'm really trying to get the movie together but it is a lot of work! I think I'll do it in a few parts to keep people satisfied and craving more... I've been reviewing the footage and there's some good stuff there. Thinking back, it was a pretty amazing trip.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Here is my rig on the remote 2 week trip I did down Salsipuedes canyon in Mexico last month. When I started I had 40 litres of water! A Pugsley with Extrawheel trailer and Alpackaraft.

Fantastic write up. I really enjoyed reading your article, and the pictures were great.

CC

mtbr member

Travers Bat Fastard Travers Bikes.com - Travers Bikes
    Lauf Carbonara fork Lauf Carbonara | Lauf Forks - The Lauf Trail Racer - The lightest suspension fork on the market

Ready to rumble for next weekends 4 day & 3 night Tour de Northumberland

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    I just bought a cheap fatbike (Gravity Bullseye - I have read the long thread for that bike already here on MTB'r)

I'm a roadie by nature, quite casual at around 1800 miles/year, but I'd like to extend into the Michigan winter a bit this year, so I grabbed the aforementioned bike. I know it's not the best but not only did I not want to spend a lot of cash on a fat bike, but I also like the idea of not having to tear up so bad when I plow it through the snowbanks, leave it outside, or take an inevitable spill on ice.

Anyways - I'm curious what all of the rack setups that people have. I will likely use this for some commuting this winter but would like the ability to also bikepack. I think a front & rear rack with panniers setup would be easiest for carrying a load that I can also easily remove and take into the office without looking like I'm going camping. I'd want to carry lunch, change of clothes, tools, emergency supplies, and on the nicer days possibly my laptop. Prefer to load the bike over my back.

I really like a few setups here, but not many link directly to the parts they used.
    Cheap is good! I don't expect this to win any races.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildfire View Post
    Rear pack has internal stays which bolt to the frame's rack mounts to prevent swaying and mounts low enough to be able to swing your leg over it easily. No racks needed.
    What pack is that?

edit: missed your earlier reply to the same question
    Last edited by BikesFloat; 10-26-2015 at 06:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    pugsleys

DSC03976 copy by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    How do you like the fork?
    Would you suggest it?
    Also, what is the largest rotor size it will mate with?

mtbr member
    Jan 2011

11ANTS ElephANT with Alpkit and Revelate bags in Sweden last summer

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Giel View Post

11ANTS ElephANT with Alpkit and Revelate bags in Sweden last summer
    nice pic. Where in Sweden? i am looking at maps now trying to figure out if the Riksgransen area would be good for a fatbike trip in summer, or if it's too steep / too much pushing....

mtbr member
    Jan 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by alias View Post
    nice pic. Where in Sweden? i am looking at maps now trying to figure out if the Riksgransen area would be good for a fatbike trip in summer, or if it's too steep / too much pushing....
    This pic was taken last summer, just north of Hemavan if I remember correctly. I rode about 1800km off-road from the south of Sweden to Staloluokta. Was attempting the Grona Bandet, but ran out of time. I have looked at Riksgransen myself and rode the area south of it (Mavas to Staloluokta) which was doable, around 30% HAB). Bear in mind that Padjelanta National Park) is not open to bikes and they actually enforce this rule (I had to take a helicopter out from Staloluokta to Ritsem because of this). Last year I rode Abisko-Nikkoluokta, snow was piled up high on Tjaktja pass, around 15% HAB if you're a technically savvy rider, more if not. I'd say give Riksgransen a try and report back. Worst thing that can happen is that you hike a bit more than expected in a beautiful mountain scenery

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jerrduford View Post
    I just bought a cheap fatbike (Gravity Bullseye - I have read the long thread for that bike already here on MTB'r)

I'm a roadie by nature, quite casual at around 1800 miles/year, but I'd like to extend into the Michigan winter a bit this year, so I grabbed the aforementioned bike. I know it's not the best but not only did I not want to spend a lot of cash on a fat bike, but I also like the idea of not having to tear up so bad when I plow it through the snowbanks, leave it outside, or take an inevitable spill on ice.

Anyways - I'm curious what all of the rack setups that people have. I will likely use this for some commuting this winter but would like the ability to also bikepack. I think a front & rear rack with panniers setup would be easiest for carrying a load that I can also easily remove and take into the office without looking like I'm going camping. I'd want to carry lunch, change of clothes, tools, emergency supplies, and on the nicer days possibly my laptop. Prefer to load the bike over my back.

I really like a few setups here, but not many link directly to the parts they used.
    Cheap is good! I don't expect this to win any races.

Will a standard size rear rack fit on a fatbike?

Maybe you've seen this thread already. Not too bad for a $30.00 rack.

The biggest issue with trying to use a standard size rack on a fatbike will likely be the mounting to the seat stays. (Seat stays on fatbike are typically much wider, so rack may need to be mounted to the inside of the stays)

I plan on doing a similar install on my Old Man Mountain Rack. OMM stuff isn't cheap, but I'm going that route simply because it's what I have in the garage.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    Pugs and slick rock camping. Exploring the territory between the Maze and the Dirty Devil.

Image 5-6-16 at 21.50 by jan nikolajsen, on Flickr

mtbr member
    First trip Bikepacking went great, we set out on a 2.5 day 2 night 70 mile backcountry trip. Started out with mostly food and a few beers in the frame bag. Sleeping bag, maps ect on the bars. rain fly, hammock, down jacket, Pants, socks on the forks. Cookware, stove, water filter, rain jacket, leg warmers, more food, extra riding jersey in the seat bag. On the go food (tangerines, grapes, cliff bars) in the feed sack and top tube bag. All gear was on the bike no back pack. As the food disappeared the heavier items on the forks went in the frame bag.

Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-bike-pack.jpg

Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-12924320_1158515987500510_453370553702489245_n.jpg
    foggy on top of Mt.Rogers

Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-12512786_1158516027500506_336581452960993069_n.jpg
    no mountain house meals here, bacon and ribeyes

Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-10649477_1158515890833853_4207354261874702058_n.jpg
    there's def. a learning curve riding technical single track with 80lb bikes

Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-1934645_1158516037500505_4694370571437469401_n.jpg
    already planning the next trip!

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    What did you use to carry water? I saw one bottle on the handlebar, was that it?

mtbr member
    Nope had a 48oz nalgene on the bottom of the down tube and the 20oz on the bar stem.(the nalgene can be seen in the second pic) We'd hydrate up in the morning then fill the bottles for the days ride. With the cool weather it was plenty. I'd be hard to go thirsty here with a filter, there's creeks everywhere in this part of Virginia.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Fatness Is Happiness

Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

Proper Gnomenclature

Advocate Hayduke
    Surly ECR
    Salsa Blackborow
    Salsa Fargo

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Here's my bike fully loaded for two nights and three days in Utah's West Desert. I'm hauling all my own water -- 14.5 liters! The frame bag, down tube bags, and handlebar bottle holders are dedicated entirely to carrying water. I'm not wearing a backpack.

Yes, due to all the water, the bike is extremely heavy: 88 lbs. It is probably too heavy to ride any significant distance on technical or hilly terrain. But for flat, sandy trails it is just fine.

Gotsta stay hydrated!

Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-20160508_155444.jpgPost your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-20160508_153700.jpg

Big wheels keep on rollin
    my Ritchey Commando on a trestle of an abandoned railway near Anza Borrego State Park

Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-carrizorig.jpg

mike

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by SLC Tortfeasor View Post
    Here's my bike fully loaded for two nights and three days in Utah's West Desert. I'm hauling all my own water -- 14.5 liters! The frame bag, down tube bags, and handlebar bottle holders are dedicated entirely to carrying water. I'm not wearing a backpack.

Yes, due to all the water, the bike is extremely heavy: 88 lbs. It is probably too heavy to ride any significant distance on technical or hilly terrain. But for flat, sandy trails it is just fine.

Gotsta stay hydrated!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160508_155444.jpg 
Views:	138 
Size:	276.9 KB 
ID:	1070109Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20160508_153700.jpg 
Views:	168 
Size:	310.9 KB 
ID:	1070110
    Sick custom bags. Nick is an artist with a sewing machine.
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    Sick custom bags. Nick is an artist with a sewing machine.
    Yep. Nick did a great job for me. I would recommend Rogue Panda to anyone!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by senor_mikey View Post
    my Ritchey Commando on a trestle of an abandoned railway near Anza Borrego State Park

mike
    Sexy!

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

Bike set up for a few days on the Australian coast around Newcastle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Here's my setup from a recent 7 day trip. Just waiting for a frame bag so I can run a 3L bladder and cookset in frame bag. Apart from that I'm pretty happy

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    2010 Yeti ASR 7

mtbr member
    Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-1049949d1455438654-today-wednesday-t1hbtlc.jpg

nothing fancy

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by iggs View Post

Bike set up for a few days on the Australian coast around Newcastle

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Those bags are appropriate for a Moonlander!

mtbr member
    Jul 2015

My steely charge with 88l waterproof and 11l not so... bags&panniers

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast