Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Double post.
    Last edited by Outsider; 10-25-2011 at 12:25 AM.
    My bike blog: www.yetirides.com

mtbr member
    Double post.
    Last edited by Outsider; 10-25-2011 at 12:23 AM.

mtbr member
    Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-foto-0069.jpg

Fatpacking in the high desert. There is a gallon+ bag of water in my "anything" cage on the
    down tube.
    Wha daur meddle wi' me?

aka DummyDiva
    Quote Originally Posted by mangoman View Post
    Scott's in Banff (Canada).
    As in Porcelin Rocket. I think he just moved to Victoria.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I have enjoyed looking at Everyboby's setups. What is the best source for finding front and rear bags? Or maybe more to the point - who has product to sell? I have a Revelate/Salsa framebag and really like it. I am waiting to see when the Revelate bags will be available from QBP - but they keep bumping the availability date back. I know that they are shown as being in stock on their site.... but I manage a shop and would rather get it through QBP. I have also talked with Jeff at CDW. He was very helpful... but doesnt have anything to sell either. Are there more options? or am I better off waiting for either of these options? Have other people found good options/reliable options?

Caveman
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatty In Hamilton View Post
    I have enjoyed looking at Everyboby's setups. What is the best source for finding front and rear bags? Or maybe more to the point - who has product to sell? I have a Revelate/Salsa framebag and really like it. I am waiting to see when the Revelate bags will be available from QBP - but they keep bumping the availability date back. I know that they are shown as being in stock on their site.... but I manage a shop and would rather get it through QBP. I have also talked with Jeff at CDW. He was very helpful... but doesnt have anything to sell either. Are there more options? or am I better off waiting for either of these options? Have other people found good options/reliable options?
    We shipped to QBP last week, including seat bags and Pugsley bags, additionally I have pretty much everything in stock for direct... except of course.. seat bags which are about 2 weeks out. cheers,
    Eric

Rednose/Greenback
    Quote Originally Posted by Bearbait View Post
    We shipped to QBP last week, including seat bags and Pugsley bags, additionally I have pretty much everything in stock for direct... except of course.. seat bags which are about 2 weeks out. cheers,
    Eric
    Does this include Gas Tank bags?
    Last edited by apbtlvr; 11-07-2011 at 07:25 PM. Reason: Typo

mtbr member
    all loaded up for an overnight on Mt. Laguna

Sewed the Frambags myself, and the tent is a tarptent from henry shire.

mtbr member
    Awesome! Where did you camp on Mt. Laguna? I've ridden the MLBC a couple times now. That's a beautiful area.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by martinsillo View Post
    thanks meso...the frame-bag is one of my concerns about the setup...good to know that one worked nice for you...but as master D said to me...you can always put a bottle in the bag....this will have me thinking for when my build starts.
    Do Bikepackers ever wear a camel or small back pack?

mtbr member

Pug set-up for three day trip

Here's my set up for a short trip last summer. Sleeping bag, bivy, warm layers in seat bag. Most of everything else in handle bar bag, food in small backpack. Best set-up for technical trail, but did the same trip with a friend with a Bob trailer the previous year and he had no problem. There is no perfect set-up only your own.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-pug_loaded_1.jpg  

Post your Fat-Bikepacking setup!-pug_loaded_2.jpg  

“Singlespeed, build character, destroy ego”

mtbr member
    Here is my rig.

bedrockbags.com
    Last edited by greenwater; 02-11-2012 at 03:29 PM.

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005

A question for you Fatbike packers...

Can you explain why you use a fatbike for bikepacking in terrain that isn't sandy or snowy? I ask because I am looking to do some bike packing and may get a Fargo. I also have a Carver snowbike I use in the winter here in NH. Am I missing out on something? Is a fatbike a comfortable bike to use in dry conditions? It's a blast in the snow.

I'd love to hear your thoughts, because I dont want to plunk down $1700 on a Fargo if the carver will do fine. My only gripe is the 100mm bb on extended riding. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by RPG View Post
    I'd love to hear your thoughts, because I dont want to plunk down $1700 on a Fargo if the carver will do fine. My only gripe is the 100mm bb on extended riding. Thanks!
    I do have both a Fargo and a Pugsley, and both of them are fully equipped for bikepacking. When I know I'm going to ride a fair amount on forest roads and even asphalt I take the Fargo, since the Pugsley is relatively slow on hard surfaces.

When doing winter bikepacking trips the Pugsley is the natural choice, but I also take the Pugsley in the summer for trips on difficult terrain and minimal road sections. The Pugsley gives a fair bit of suspension in a mechanically simple package and it is no slower on uneven terrain when packed with overnighter gear.

To give you an idea, this is a typical trip on my Fargo and this is a demanding summer trip on my Pugsley.

mtbr member

Ortlieb pannier and Old Man Mountain setup above....Porcelain Rocket bags setup below.

Surly Pugsley - a set on Flickr

Pugsley « The Lazy Rando Blog…
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jun 2005
    Can you explain why you use a fatbike for bikepacking in terrain that isn't sandy or snowy? I ask because I am looking to do some bike packing and may get a Fargo. I also have a Carver snowbike I use in the winter here in NH. Am I missing out on something? Is a fatbike a comfortable bike to use in dry conditions? It's a blast in the snow.

I find the Pugsley incredibly comfortable while touring on dirt roads and easy to moderate single/double track. I was surprised to find that any lack of speed or efficiency was completely canceled out by comfort and the fun factor. I haven't found the "wide stance" to be a problem. I also really like the stability and overwhelming traction with a load. I was considering a Fargo but now have no plans to tour on anything else. I may even get a pair of Floyds and try it in less remote areas.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatty In Hamilton View Post
    Hey Fatty,
    In the below thread there is a good list of bag manufactures. Good Luck
    Woody

Bikepacking gear bags - who makes 'em?

mtbr member
    Can you explain why you use a fatbike for bikepacking in terrain that isn't sandy or snowy?

A 4"-5" tire provides a really nice suspension effect which allows you to ride faster over bumpy ground than a fully rigid MTB on skinny tires. On a fairly rough trail or forest service road the speed difference between a skinny MTB and fatbike is negligible.

On smooth surfaces the skinny MTB may be faster if you want to really crank. If you are just out to ride and have fun you may not see any difference in average speed.

Personally I have no issues riding my Pugsley 100kms+ in a day, but I'm not affected much by wide BB/cranks.

If you own a fatbike there is certainly no reason you shouldn't try and bikepack with it first before investing in a Fargo.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Here is my winter fatbikepacking setup.

A comprehensive writing of the setup and other gear is in my blog:

Toni Lund - Adventure cyclist: Fatbike TV outing - the gear
    "Cycling is not the whole life, it's much more."
    www.tonilund.fi - Facebook - Twitter - Google+

RPG
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Liitle off topic, but how much psi do you put in your tires for dirt/gravel roads? Going to use mine for more than snow, so wasn't sure if you all are going to higher psi.

mtbr member
    Liitle off topic, but how much psi do you put in your tires for dirt/gravel roads? Going to use mine for more than snow, so wasn't sure if you all are going to higher psi.
    I don't try to inflate to a specific psi. If the bike is bouncing at all I reduce my pressure slightly. If the tires are deforming visibly or the steering feels odd I add some pressure.

If I'm riding mixed terrain - say gravel with sandy sections - I'll leave the pressure a little on the low side to save myself the hassle of adjusting it a bunch of times.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Great thread. Need to dig out my camera.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

newbie question

Quote Originally Posted by pierre meux View Post
    Semi-fat, loaded on tour.

Very informative thread. Excuse my ignorance but what type of handle bar is this? Flared out kind of like a ram's horn. I don't know how comfortable it is but it def. has a cool look.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ecks View Post
    Very informative thread. Excuse my ignorance but what type of handle bar is this? Flared out kind of like a ram's horn. I don't know how comfortable it is but it def. has a cool look.
    They are usually called "dirt drop" bars. I use them on my touring/commuter and really like them.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by jmmorath View Post
    They are usually called "dirt drop" bars. I use them on my touring/commuter and really like them.
    Thanks. I'll do a search on them.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast