Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)

674K views 980 replies 423 participants last post by  andrewfelix 
#1 ·
Post your riding rig and gear layouts for all to enjoy!

Descriptions of what you have got going (and how it works for you) are always a plus

#671 ·
Newbie ... first time setup - advice?

Hi Everyone!
Newbie to bike packing ... putting together my first setup. Looking at an El Mariachi 2 (2013) gently used. Any advice on quality of components, wheels, etc. I like this bike and think it would well for a first timer. ... some concern about the quality of wheels though. Any advice would be appreciated.

Here's a link to the bike: Salsa El Mariachi 2 29er Mountain Bike 15in Small Shimano SLX Manitou | eBay

#672 ·
not really hardcore, not really backpacking by definition - ... bike path, dirt roads... only ~18 miles each day (plus some bonus miles for a lost shoe...)
but my first overnight with my girls...

Yuba Mundo by Mike, on Flickr

we were probably over 440#s rolling weight - bike + dad + girls + gear + food + water.

can't wait for my next solo trip, and can't wait for my next trip with the girls.

#675 ·
I have been thinking about the suspension issue a lot recently. Part of me thinks it's silly to not have it. I mean, you wouldn't find many other modern wheeled vehicles without. It make a lot of sense from a comfort and control standpoint.

But I can also see the disadvantages, complexity being the big one.

I have actually been doing a bit of research into simply suspension designs and am lusting over a YBB frame at the moment. The designs seems to have a lot of advantage, with cost being the only downside. I also like the Willits B2B design, but haven't herd much feedback. Thudbuster can also be a nice add on, if you not to sensitive to fit issues.

The front seems a little easier. Most coil forks, in my experience, will tolerate a fair amount of neglect. Big tires also work well. The over thinker in me has been designing a fork around a Head Shock/Action Tec type design. Small coil and damper that lives in the steerer, cartridge style assembly for easy replacement, Fargo fork lowers. It'll never get made, just nice to dream.

#680 · (Edited)
Summer bike packing kit. If it is not buggy and there isn't a chance of rain, the tent is replaced with a SOL emergency bivy. Rain jacket gets tossed in if the chance of rain is high. Been going back and forth between the Jetboil set up and just the stove with a kettle. Weight is the same, but I think I'm liking the kettle option better.

More detailed (but imperfect) breakdown on the individual pix at https://www.flickr.com/photos/singlespeedoutlaw/albums/72157658057182175

Automotive tire Rim Synthetic rubber Auto part Automotive wheel system

#684 ·
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Any love for all rigid steel?

Rear Sackville has tent (big agness seedhouse ul 2), sleeping pad (big agnes q core), sleeping quilt (jacks r better), and pillow (some rei one that everyone seems to have).
Front rack (top) has tools, headlamps, and misc. supplies
Front left pannier has clothes
Front right pannier has food, beer, and whiskey. Beer is wrapped in this insulating bag I get with my Blue Apron deliveries and an ice pack to keep cool. Canned beer only for the trails!

#685 ·
This past weekend's bikepacking rig was my Salsa Blackborow:

Gear breakdown:

5L dry bag, strapped to handlebars with Voile ski straps:

Klymit Static V sleeping pad
Silnylon tarp
Mountain Hardwear down jacket

Revelate small front pocket:

Princeton Tec headlamp
bandana
bag of turkey jerky
Nexcon solar phone charger
sun cap

Revelate Gas Tank:
various snacks
swiss army knife

Revelate Jerry Can:
spare tube
tire lever

Revelate Tangle Bag:
Jetboil Sol stove
Sawyer Mini water filter
Toaks Ti cup/spork
lighter
random food

Revelate Terrapin with 10L dry bag:
Merino midweight top & bottom layer
Patagonia R1 hoody
spare socks
wool hat
nylon shorts
Marmot Atom sleeping bag
Crocs flip flops

The whole load rode great, even on rocky singletrack and stream crossings:

#687 ·
https://flic.kr/s/aHskmvqxb8
Whole Album

Bleary Eyed Camp by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

Fast Food by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

Taking a Break. by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

Surly Crosscheck by pavementgraveldirt, on Flickr

Plenty of water station fill ups along the way and I didn't end up using the camelbak that was strapped to the rear rack at all. Brought to much stuff in general as per usual. The boyscout has a hard time getting along with the ultralighter in me. Boyscout usually wins. (you know because he brought a gun and plenty of ammo while the ultralighter brought a razor blade that had been cut down.)

#688 ·
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Mode of transport

Mostly stock Krampus with Jones Loop Bar, Brooks C17 carved, split tube tubeless, Porcelain Rocket Mr. Fusion V2, DIY frame bag, and cannibalized Bontrager handlebar bag converted to gear roll.

My tent, poles, and sleeping pad go in handlebar the roll under the phone and GPS. The frame pack holds 3L of water, snacks, tools, tubes, and spare parts and batteries. The seatpack has a welded seam drybag so thats where I put the stuff thats ultra crucial to keep dry like spare clothes and the sleeping bag. I can also carry a trail running pack for an extra 2L bladder plus a bottle of sports drink, extra snacks, and carrying stuff when off the bike.

Low slung headlight compliments helmet mount. Only 1 ride (250 miles 3 days) on this setup so far, but I'm super stoked with it.

#689 ·
Doesn't look like much yet... still waiting on zippers by the end of the month.

I have patterns for frame Pack, and seat bag harness. I think the handlebar bag harness will be pretty straight forward. I will be using a 13L dry bag for the seat and 20L dry bag for the bars. I have Velcro, trim, nylon webbing, elastic cord, parachute clips, foam padding, nylon sheets, Codura Nylon and X-21 rip-stop laminated Nylon. I'm just waiting on the zippers. I will also make a pouch for atop the handlebar bag harness.

Attachments

#690 ·
Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Advocate cycles' hayduke 27.5+ titanium hardtail:

wtb scraper 45mm rims

wtb trailblazer 27.5×2.8 tires

rock shox reba rl 120mm (29″ boost)

shimano deore xt (1×10)

race face turbine crank set, 28t ring

shimano slx cs hg81, 11-36 cassette

race face chester 1″ riser handlebar

race face ride stem

race face chester seat post

ergon smc3 pro saddle

shimano xt trail pedals

ergon gs 2l grips

bike bag dude handlebar roll

bike bag dude custom frame bag

revelate designs viscacha seat bag

rear rack & halawa zero front panniers

ergon ba3 evo backpack

Personal protective equipment Orange Bag Fruit Safety glove

Electronic device Technology Communication Device Gadget Computer accessory

Camera Film camera Cameras & optics Gadget Digital camera

#691 ·
Coconino custom steel 29er frame
Waltworks custom steel fork
Pacenti TL28 32h rims
Maxxis Ikon 2.4
Phil Wood front hub
Alfine 8sp rear hub 20t
Nexus 8 sp twist shifter
Avid Juicy 7 brakes (soon to be BB7)
RaceFace Evolve 34t
Wellgo MG1
WTB Pure V
Thomson seatpost, stem
Chris King headset
Jones loop bar
Ergon GP1 grips

Rogue Panda custom frame pack
Rogue Panda large bar bag
Revelate jerry can
Revelate Viscacha seat pack
Camelbak HAWG

Jetboil w/ pot
Sawyer mini filter

Megamid silny
20° NF down bag
Neoair trekker pad

Attachments

#692 ·
Photo from my first test ride on my setup for my first bikepacking trip in couple weeks. Frame bag was made by a friend...it is setup with a removable shelf so I can run as one single big compartment for a hydration bladder or have two separate compartments and it will fit both of my 21" frames. Right now running hydration in the bag (need to get a hose extension) plus tubes, tools, and I'll have some other stuff to throw in there. In the seat bag I have my sleeping bag, pad, and contrail. Also have two feed bags (one an older Epic research feedbag, the other the newer Revelate version) and a Timbuk2 fuel tank.

Bicycle tire Bicycle frame Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel

#696 ·
bmike--

Looks like a great time. Really liked the "hot drink in the rain" photo.

My trip last weekend was bright sun and temps in the 80s. Would have loved the cold/rain/trees etc..
Temps in the 80s and I'd be curled up under a tree with iced tea or lemon aid or a beer. I love riding in the cool temps of the fall... maybe not as cold as it got on my trip...

#703 ·
Good day all, I thought I'd share my setup. This was during the Tuscobia 150 race in January. So, no bikepacking but all the right gear to do so. Sleeping bag/pad/bivy sack in the rear bag along with some extra clothes. Fuel on the down tube. Protien mix and hot coco in the two thermoses on the forks. Lots of food in the handle bar bag. Spare tube, chain,tool and first-aid kit in the frame bag. This year I plan on sliming it all down a bit. I think the whole shibang was about 60 lbs. Have a good day eh. Takk

Attachments