Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)

674K views 980 replies 423 participants last post by  andrewfelix 
#1 ·
Post your riding rig and gear layouts for all to enjoy!

Descriptions of what you have got going (and how it works for you) are always a plus

#521 ·
first run.

Soil Plastic Tent Tarpaulin Camping

Bicycle tire Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim

Salsa El Mariachi 2, 2013 steel HT
Revelate pika, frame, tank, and sweetroll.
Warbonnet superfly tarp/paracord/MSR stakes
Screen bivy
30° down mummybag
Optimus weekender cookset
Herbs
DIY Mylar bubble sleepmat.
Lowe's 5x7 "sport tarp" (soft side/poly side)
Black diamond Headlamp
Minimag with barmount and led kit
GSI 50oz coffee press
Crankbrothers 17 bike multi
Gerber multitool
SRAM quicklink
Zipties/ducktape
Patch kit/tire tools
2 tubes
Frogg tiff raingear
Ibex wool balaclava
Camelbak mule
Waterproof matches
Lighter
Survival blanket
Gauze pads/bandaids/alcohol wipes
Paracord bracelet around each hub
Bear bell(mostly for fun).
Pipe
White poly?? Sandbags(32¢) for trash/bear hang

I think that's about it. Old school bear trap pedals with strapless toe clips.

Training/practicing for 4-5day Tahoe bikepacking trip late may or early June.

Happy trails

#533 ·
#542 ·
Haven't been able to put it to the test yet, but I don't foresee any problem. With the Jones Loop bar, I was able to strap handlebar bag not just from the top and back, but from sideways movement as well. The seat bag not only straps from the top and back, but straps to the rack from below. The growlers are double-strapped to Anything cages which are mounted solid to the rack with added brackets preventing rotation. If the tangle bags wants to flop there are rings on both ends so I can always strap that to the down tube if necessary.

p.s.
I injured my back over a month ago and still recovering so I won't be doing anything stupid on my bike for quite awhile. I just rode it yesterday for the first time since my injury and only around the parking ramp for a couple minutes. If my back continues to improve as it has the past couple weeks, my goal is to go for a small ride next weekend, but I will be sticking to the paved trails for certain.

#547 ·
My gear

Here is my bike pack gear. I prefer to keep the weight off the frame to improve bike handling.
Total pack weight without food and water 7 lbs solo or 5lbs 9oz with partner sharing.
Gear:
Pack - zpacks zero backpack small with webbing belt and side compression straps
Tent - zpacks prototype tent 27 oz use bikes instead of poles (new hexamid duplex tent 25 oz w/2 poles)
Bag - zpacks 40 degree bag
Pad - NeoAir Xlite regular
Rain gear - zpacks cuben fiber jacket, pants, mitts
Insulation - Icebreaker long underwear, beanie, gloves
Socks - Heat holders thermal
Jacket - Patagonia nano puff pullover (inc. in weight but not in pic)
Gigapower stove, fuel, titanium cup, spork, backup matches
Bear bag and line
Toiletries bag - TP, tbrush, tpaste, sunscreen, bug juice, liquid soap
First aid bag - neosporin, bandaids, 4x4s, benadryl, dermabond, steristrips, and coban.
Pump - lezyne HP drive (with flexible hose)
Repair bag - derailleur hanger, chain link, cleat bolt, zip ties, duct tape, Lezyne carbon multitool.
Water purification - MSR aquatabs 30 min. 1 bottle on bike.

You could cut down on weight and forget hot food and leave the rain gear if the weather looks good. My son did ask why we were not bringing a frying pan and bacon.:)

The zpacks guys are great to work with and the gear has lots of options.

The pics are from a loop in the white clouds of Idaho (big and little boulder trails) with my teenage soon. A great time!

Attachments

#646 ·
Here is my bike pack gear. I prefer to keep the weight off the frame to improve bike handling.
Total pack weight without food and water 7 lbs solo or 5lbs 9oz with partner sharing.
Gear:
Pack - zpacks zero backpack small with webbing belt and side compression straps
Tent - zpacks prototype tent 27 oz use bikes instead of poles (new hexamid duplex tent 25 oz w/2 poles)
Bag - zpacks 40 degree bag
Pad - NeoAir Xlite regular
Rain gear - zpacks cuben fiber jacket, pants, mitts
Insulation - Icebreaker long underwear, beanie, gloves
Socks - Heat holders thermal
Jacket - Patagonia nano puff pullover (inc. in weight but not in pic)
Gigapower stove, fuel, titanium cup, spork, backup matches
Bear bag and line
Toiletries bag - TP, tbrush, tpaste, sunscreen, bug juice, liquid soap
First aid bag - neosporin, bandaids, 4x4s, benadryl, dermabond, steristrips, and coban.
Pump - lezyne HP drive (with flexible hose)
Repair bag - derailleur hanger, chain link, cleat bolt, zip ties, duct tape, Lezyne carbon multitool.
Water purification - MSR aquatabs 30 min. 1 bottle on bike.

You could cut down on weight and forget hot food and leave the rain gear if the weather looks good. My son did ask why we were not bringing a frying pan and bacon.:)

The zpacks guys are great to work with and the gear has lots of options.

The pics are from a loop in the white clouds of Idaho (big and little boulder trails) with my teenage soon. A great time!
Hola Geeze6700!

LOVELY setup... I wish I could travel SO light :)

Saludos,
Federico

#552 ·
Here's a Krampus from one of the Cycle Monkey crew, all set up for a trip to Mount Diablo. The 29+ platform is really the best option for offroad touring. No need for a suspension fork, which could be a nightmare if it breaks down in the backcountry!
Seems like a fairly subjective claim. And I'd think youd have as much luck finding 29+ tires in the middle of nowhere as you would fork parts or service, or even standard 29 tires for the most part.

Not to dog 29+, I like the idea but it dosn't strike me as the cover all solution as some make it out to be. Height, tire availability, wheel weight, and the limits it puts on gearing seem like issues most try to overlook.

#554 ·
I'm getting everything ready for my first trip next month, so...

Here's my rig; my Niner SIR 9 setup with a full complement of Revelate Designs bags. I converted the bike from a singlespeed to a 1x10 using a SRAM XO shifter, Type 2 rear derailleur, and 12-36 cassette, and a Race Face 30T narrow/wide ring.

I'm still toying around with how I'm going to place all of my gear.

Tire Bicycle tire Wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

#713 ·
I'm getting everything ready for my first trip next month, so...

Here's my rig; my Niner SIR 9 setup with a full complement of Revelate Designs bags. I converted the bike from a singlespeed to a 1x10 using a SRAM XO shifter, Type 2 rear derailleur, and 12-36 cassette, and a Race Face 30T narrow/wide ring.

I'm still toying around with how I'm going to place all of my gear.

View attachment 893198
What size frame is your SIR9 and what size Revelate do you use? I've got a medium SIR and figured a medium Tangle framebag would work.