Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789
    Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Shotgun Jeremy View Post
    When y'all are bikepacking, I can't imagine its very technical. Are the trails pretty smooth?
    Sometimes. Sometimes not so much....

"I've been mt biking for 25 years and I don't plan on ever getting a MOPED"
    - Mt Biker E

Thingamejigger
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post
    Dont know what you are grumbling about, this looks entirely ridable!!

Jammin' Econo
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    There actually was a faint trail in there, I swear....
    - Mt Biker E

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    The next 4-5 month's I'm gonna ride around northern Scandinavia. I'm currently in Finland, hence the SS, but in May/June a 2x10 setup will be installed. I've been riding scooter trails and icy roads for the past 6 months so i'm really looking forward to see some exposed dirt soon..
    The Plus is such an awesome ride. It's fast, it's comfy and it's way more comfotable to "live on" than my previous bikes.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4P...w?usp=drivesdk

Did I catch a niner+?

It's coming together, hope to have a few rides this summer to test.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Trek Stache 7 (2016) with Ortlieb bags and Revelate frame bag.

Jones H-Bar.

My seat bag is sagging a little in this photo. If I was lazy and didn't remove the bag from the bike, I couldn't pack it as tight and it would droop. After the first few days, I got it dialed and it was good to go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-17799903_10154240810526574_8613902057336724436_n.jpg  

mtbr member
    May 2013

Genesis Longitude 2017

Recently picked up my new Genesis Longitude, only one overnighter done so far but loving the grip and cushioning of the plus tyres!

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-p4pb14684138.jpg

Waiting for my new front harness to be delivered, so using my Specialized Pizza rack and waterproof duffle combo for now. Worked really well on easy dirt roads but obscures the view on the front tyre so not sure it'll be as good for technical riding.

saddlemeat
    Quote Originally Posted by Smithhammer View Post

Thanks, best post ever on that subject!
    I ride with the best dogs.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Spot Rocker 27.5+

I just completed my first bikepacking trip. 3 days/2 nights on the North Country Trail in Michigan with another bikepacking rookie.

I'm really happy with my bike and gear! Here's link to some pics:

https://goo.gl/photos/TcZvhAXAZRJs4cP37

Bike - Spot Rocker 27.5+ hard tail. AC Smokin Gun wheels, Reba 100 mm travel fork, X0-1 drive train. It handled the extra weight really well.

Front Pack is Salsa EXP Anything Cradle, stuffed with sleeping bag and sleeping pad.

Most of my clothes, food, repair stuff was in my large Tangle frame bag.

Rear Revelate Pika is stuffed with my tent.

I wore a small Camelbak too. I tried to avoid that, but I couldn't find anywhere else to my cook kit.

most of my camping gear is from 10+ years ago when I used to do a fair amount of backpacking. I treated myself to a new super light, super compact sleeping pad for this trip though. Money well spent!

The sleeping bag is my next upgrade priority.

Can't wait for my next trip!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by skolma View Post
    The next 4-5 month's I'm gonna ride around northern Scandinavia. I'm currently in Finland, hence the SS, but in May/June a 2x10 setup will be installed. I've been riding scooter trails and icy roads for the past 6 months so i'm really looking forward to see some exposed dirt soon..
    The Plus is such an awesome ride. It's fast, it's comfy and it's way more comfotable to "live on" than my previous bikes.
    https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B4P...w?usp=drivesdk
    Super nice setup. I like how the front panniers take advantage of the truss fork's larger surface area.

mtbr member
    May 2017
    How much Xtra bike parts do you normally pack and what are they

mtbr member
    Jun 2011

Van Dessel Ramble Tamble

My rig for a 5 nighter on the Big Sur Coast
    Van Dessel Ramble Tamble with an exotic carbon front fork
    Sram 3x9 with a mix of WTB and NoTubes wheel set. on 2.1 wtb nano's
    Bags - Rouge Panda seat bag and top tube bag. Revelate handlebar role
    Striped down the bike comes in at 23/5
    Loaded it comes in at 40.5 (without water but everything else (food, shelter, bag parts and batteries etc) (17 lb delta...is that good or bad) Planing on carying 3.5 liters of water on the bike.Name:  tb1.jpg
Views: 2083
Size:  27.9 KBAttachment 1137465Name:  tb.jpg
Views: 2100
Size:  26.3 KB
    Name:  tb3.jpg
Views: 2079
Size:  13.3 KBName:  tb.jpg
Views: 2100
Size:  26.3 KB
    MyRides - Santa Cruz Tallboy CC, Van Dessel Ramble tamble SS, Look 986 1x10,

mtbr member
    May 2017
    I'm new to the whole rear rack ordeal. I'm looking to start to ride my bike to work and need to get my hands on some good rear rack straps... what all do you prefer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON

Gear for the 260-mile Tour De Los Padres

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-17990360_1429509347087253_1703774262801781898_o.jpg

Here is a breakdown of my set up from the 260-mile Tour De Los Padres bike packing race.

Bike: Canyon Exceed, size M

Tires: Maxxis Icon 2.3 set up tubeless via Stan's NoTubes

Drivetrain: SRAM XX1 with 30T front chainring

Pedals: CrankBrothers Candy 11

Saddle: Ergon SMR3 Pro Carbon, size M

Grips: Ergon GS3, size S

Lights: Black Diamond and Fenix

Bottle Cages: 4 Topeak Ninja Cages

Top Tube Bag 1: Topeak TopLoader with food

Top Tube Bag 2: Topeak TopLoader with food, Finish Line chainlube, Elete Electrolytes, iPod, GORE BIKE WEAR jacket.

Seat bag: Topeak BackLoader, 6L, filled with Primal leg warmers, arm warmers, Patagonia rain jacket, Montbell down jacket, Buff skull cap, SOL emergency bivy, 2 tubes, pizza

On my back: Ergon BX2 backpack with 100 oz bladder - bladder only filled up once during entire ride, food, MSR TrailShot water filter, Adventure medical kit, spare parts, patch kit, fiber spoke, spare AA and AAA batteries, phone, credit card, cash, sample packets of Chamois Butt'r

GPS: Garmin eTrex 30

Strava ride/race file: https://www.strava.com/activities/944215740

saddlemeat
    ^Pizza?
    I ride with the best dogs.

TEAM TOPEAK - ERGON
    I carried a small pepperoni and sausage pizza, each slice individually wrapped in aluminum foil. There was 200-miles of no resupply, so needed some real food for the ride

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Fully loaded Salsa Spearfish. Extremely stable on the downhills, very slow on the climbs ;-)

CCC MTB by Lieven Loots, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by erichott223 View Post
    I'm new to the whole rear rack ordeal. I'm looking to start to ride my bike to work and need to get my hands on some good rear rack straps... what all do you prefer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Voile

mtbr member
    Jul 2017

Fargo Ti needs a home ...

Thoughts of grandeur and life didn't mesh. I have a Fargo Ti ready to roll for adventure, MSR Zoid 1, ultralight bag .. **SIGH** Anyway. I will not be adventuring with this one folks. If anyone can use a Fargo Ti, XL ... I am selling it. It is posted in classifieds. I hope someone can give it the love it deserves...Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_0658.jpg

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Got my rig figured out for longer tours. I put on a low-rider front rack/panniers instead of Monkey Cages (similar to Anything Cages) along with a frame bag, seat bag, handlebar roll, gas tank and feedbag.

I probably could have done without the seatbag, but it would have meant stuffing the panniers to the brim and pulling out clothes every time I needed something else. I'll leave that arrangement to the S24O or weekend trips.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by msugma View Post
    I just completed my first bikepacking trip. 3 days/2 nights on the North Country Trail in Michigan with another bikepacking rookie.

I'm really happy with my bike and gear! Here's link to some pics:

https://goo.gl/photos/TcZvhAXAZRJs4cP37

Bike - Spot Rocker 27.5+ hard tail. AC Smokin Gun wheels, Reba 100 mm travel fork, X0-1 drive train. It handled the extra weight really well.

Front Pack is Salsa EXP Anything Cradle, stuffed with sleeping bag and sleeping pad.

Most of my clothes, food, repair stuff was in my large Tangle frame bag.

Rear Revelate Pika is stuffed with my tent.

I wore a small Camelbak too. I tried to avoid that, but I couldn't find anywhere else to my cook kit.

most of my camping gear is from 10+ years ago when I used to do a fair amount of backpacking. I treated myself to a new super light, super compact sleeping pad for this trip though. Money well spent!

The sleeping bag is my next upgrade priority.

Can't wait for my next trip!
    I really like your setup. That EXP Cradle looks awesome. I am going to have to get one of those.

I'm from Michigan and have been considering riding the North County Trail... Did you post a full trip report or any more photos somewhere else?

mtbr member
    Just completed my first over-niter on a new bike. Temps were in the upper 90's with heat index over 110. It was a hot ride out and back. Luckily there was a river next to the campground which allowed for cooling down. The 29+ bike performed very well loaded up. It was stable and happy even on high speed descents. A little slower on the uphills but maybe that's just me

Front - dry bag with Revelate harness: Tent, sleeping bag, sleeping pad and pillow with sandals and camp chair strapped (voile) on top
    Fork legs both have Blackburn Outpost cages, one held a 40oz kleen canteen, the other has a salsa anything bag which houses a camp stove, ti pot, coffee supplies, cup and utensils.
    Revelate frame bag housed electronics, food, repair kit and misc. items.
    rear is a Relevate Terrapin system: towel, clothes, freeze dried meals, toothbrush/toiletries
    Two revelate feedbags on the handlebar: one for a big water bottle and the other held snacks, sweat wiper, sunscreen and bug juice
    Gas tank held phone, wallet, headphones(which were never used)

It's only my second bikepacking trip and I'm still learning from each trip. The only issue on the trip was how to keep the beer cold

Post ride refreshment
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_20170722_142730123.jpg

Water stop in a little town with a lovely garden
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-20229618_10210042608401169_1479384928287099178_o.jpg

We made it! Time to setup shop and cool down
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-20232299_10210042609481196_5773243097183229322_o.jpg

Camp is made
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-20232409_10210042610001209_5914982526901612677_o.jpg

Foggy start for the ride home
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-20247541_10210042610521222_1688943801461341940_o.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_20170722_113044.jpg

Just threw a stuff sack on a Thule Pack N Pedal. Need to lighten the load next time. But was surprised by how well it handled through rough terrain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by andrewfelix View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170722_113044.jpg 
Views:	100 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	1148486

Just threw a stuff sack on a Thule Pack N Pedal. Need to lighten the load next time. But was surprised by how well it handled through rough terrain.
    Holy hell, those wheels look like they could cut a pizza. What kind of terrain were you riding on? Hopefully somewhat smooth...

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by baltobrewer View Post
    Holy hell, those wheels look like they could cut a pizza. What kind of terrain were you riding on? Hopefully somewhat smooth...
    Fire trails and some singletrack. Some of it was reasonably rough. Ran the pressure pretty low, absolutely no problem.

Biggest problem I've had in the past is punctures on connecting tarmac roads, which is why I went with thick walled touring tires.

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_20170722_164557-min.jpgPost your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_20170722_142101-min.jpg

Jammin' Econo
    Latest iteration:

Rogue Panda handlebar bag = quilt, hammock, tarp, assorted other sleep-related things
    RP Seat bag - clothing
    RP rolltop frame bag - stove, mug, first aid, bike repair, food
    RP stem bag - snacks, multi-tool, spare sunglass lenses
    Bedrock Tapeats bag - bear spray, windshirt

- Mt Biker E

mtbr member
    May 2007

My BP Rig

Hello,

Just completed the IHSMBR and it was my first bike packing trip as well. It was a great trip. 19 days total including 2 lay-over days. 575 miles and 37,755' of climbing.

While others on the trip plucked down some big $$ for new bikes for this trip, I used my old 2000 Marin Pine Mountain. I went through the entire bike and replaced a couple of worn chainrings, cleaned and serviced the derailers, hubs, fork, new shift & brake cables, and BB. I did upgrade a few items; a new front wheel with Maxxis Ardent, new Maxxis Crossmark for the rear, new Selle Anatomica seat, a Cane Creek Thudbuster ST, 680mm handlebar with Ergon GP3 grip & bar ends, and an Avid BB7 mechanical disc brakes for the old Manitou fork.

For carrying gear I used a Nitto M-12 front rack to carry my sleeping bag and camp shoes, sleeping pad lashed to the handlebars, a PDW Bindle rack to carry my clothes and personal gear, a Rogue Panda bike frame bag to carry tent, filter, and food. I wore a Camelback Mule with a Sawyer 4l blue bladder (from my gravity filter) and snacks, and a small top tube bag to carry tools and tube.

I know its not as awesome as most of the rigs here but I have to say, the bike performed flawlessly. I had no mechanical issues at all, except R-der cable stretch. The ride was absolutely fabulous and already looking forward to next year.

Thanks for looking.

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_0523-copy.jpg

Bridge over Middle Fork of Boise River
    Last edited by cmon4day; 08-01-2017 at 12:49 PM.
    Anybody can ski the groomed

mtbr member
    Oct 2016

Gearing up my KM for Bikepacking

I'm hoping to do an couple nights in the Green Mountain National Forest soon. Here is a pic from and link to a write up about my shake down ride:

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_3938.jpg

Bikepacking Shake Down – The Mullet of Blogs

mtbr member
    still WIP, the tent is strapped somehow onto the handlebar, need to find a better solution

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by ciquta View Post
    still WIP, the tent is strapped somehow onto the handlebar, need to find a better solution

I used to strap mine to a fork leg.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Give'er!
    Hoping to do my first overnighter sometime next week!

Gear (technically it should be enough for a basic overnight excursion)

The bar light is a Fenix pd35 hose clamped to said bar. (I have a PD35 tac on the helmet...no reason for the tac other than it's what was in stock at the time I got it)
    GPS is an etrex 30

To carry stuff under the bars I went with the Porcelain Rocket MCA Handlebar System and in the front zippered pocket I have:
    Master Lock Python lock (I'll be in the bush so it's more for peace of mind than anything!)
    6 small aluminum stakes and paracord inside the stuff sack that came with the Thermarest mat
    Gerber Prodigy knife
    My house/lock key will also go in here attached to a lanyard.

Inside the MEC dry bag I have:
    an MEC compression sack (more for structural support than compression) that contains:
    Outdoor Research Alpine Bivy
    Woods Microlite sleeping bag
    wrapped around those I have a Thermarest pro-lite mat

The fork has a custom built (yay me!) rack attached to the fender mounts to carry...a water bottle and a can of bear spray inside a water bottle with the top cut off.

...Didn't want to drill and riv-nut the fork.

Two water bottles in the frame.

The seat pack is a Porcelain Rocket Vera (With an extra strap around it...coincidentally the thigh strap of the aforementioned knife's scabbard) and presently contains:
    A spare fat bike tube.
    Filzer Mini-zee2 pump
    Bike multi-tool, patch kit, spare link and tire levers
    A warmer pair of gloves
    The zipped off pant legs of my pants
    Raincoat
    Spare batteries for the lights, GPS and a small battery bank for my phone.
    Some TP...cuz ya never know...

I don't plan to do any cooking, but inside my pack (an Alps Outdoorz pack slightly bigger than the average hydration pack) I intend to carry a spare water bottle with water as well as a stainless bottle with cold brew in the outer most pocket.
    In the inner large pocket I'll have my foodage inside a small dry bag (I need to get a small-ish dry bag yet...)
    My hoodie will be compressed between the outer pocket and inner pocket.

Inside the smallest pocket I'll have bugspray, hand sanatizer and personal meds. Yay!
    The paracord mentioned way above is to hang the pack and food up in a tree...

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-bp3.jpgPost your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-bp2.jpgPost your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-bp1.jpg

mtbr member
    Jan 2016
    Here's my rig last week on a round trip

Sent from my HUAWEI NXT-L29 using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Framed Alaskan Modified for Trip to Congo Rainforest Basin

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p...pic_id=2592127

Link also leads you to my journal, that details the part by part construction of the bike for this first ever fat tire in Africa trip.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

mtbr member
    Mar 2013

My Rig

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_1169.jpg

My RSD 2016 Big Chief on a quick overnighter along Siouxon Creek near Mt. Saint Helens.

Frame Bag:
    water, food, bowl and 1st aide
    Handle Bar Bag:
    sleeping bag, clothes, ground cloth, stove and pot.
    Down Tube Bags on King Manything Cage:
    Tools and spare tube in REI tent stake bags
    Feed Bags:
    Food and empty water bottle for cocktails
    Rack (Surly 8 Pack Rack) and Dry Bag:
    Sleeping pad, whiskey, and misc. other things
    Fanny Pack:
    Chair, flip flops, and more misc. stuff

Great trip and great bike for it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Does anyone have any experience with the Giant Toughroad SLR1 for bikepacking? https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/toughroad-slr-1-2018

Looks like a bike I would be interested in as this is the bike I have been looking for but didn't know it existed until a month ago. I like the flat bars and comes rack equipped. I am very tempted by this bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2017

Frame bags on your bike

Is that a Fat Tire bike frame with wide bottom bracket, and wide hubs, I'm wondering if the loaded frame bags and top bar bags will become a nuisance as you ride. I had to remove a top bar bag because it kept hitting my knees.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikPlankton View Post
    Here is my semifat setup for longer self supported tours:

Link to larger image: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mustan...41778/sizes/h/

mtbr member
    Jul 2010

Bikepacking in Brazil

Hi everyone!

Here in Brazil we have a lot of places to go bikepacking style.
    In this pic, I'm in Alagoa, a small town, south of Minas Gerais's State.
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_20170916_193640_968.jpg

That's an Astro 27,5 All Mountain frame, with 130mm Manitou Front Suspension and Rock Shox Monarch 130mm Rear Suspension, Transmission 9x3v Shimano Alivio with SuperCog 40T.

The Harness, Frame and Seat Bag was custom made by Aresta Equipamentos. The frontbag was custom made by my mother in law.

I intent to go to Peru with that setup, but I'm a little bit concerned about how to carry water. I have two 1.5L waterbottle cages, but I couldn't figure it out to install them on the front suspension.

How do you guys fix the bottle cage on your suspensions?

Thank you all!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Few questions:

I am looking at this frame bag, or similar type:

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ac...pack-10/118285

is there an issue with knee clearance with such bags when the bag is full? should I restrict the size I get?

for the seat bag I notice specialized for example has this metal stabilizer which mounts on seat to prevent bag rocking left right.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/ac...pack-10/118285

I found some cheaper designs ,not sure if they are worth saving or they will just end in trash:

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/NEWB...9-a561d73216d5

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/ROSW...d-133b9f616056

no batteries required
    Quote Originally Posted by fabiotux View Post
    Hi everyone!

Here in Brazil we have a lot of places to go bikepacking style.
    In this pic, I'm in Alagoa, a small town, south of Minas Gerais's State.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20170916_193640_968.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	1158544

That's an Astro 27,5 All Mountain frame, with 130mm Manitou Front Suspension and Rock Shox Monarch 130mm Rear Suspension, Transmission 9x3v Shimano Alivio with SuperCog 40T.

The Harness, Frame and Seat Bag was custom made by Aresta Equipamentos. The frontbag was custom made by my mother in law.

I intent to go to Peru with that setup, but I'm a little bit concerned about how to carry water. I have two 1.5L waterbottle cages, but I couldn't figure it out to install them on the front suspension.

How do you guys fix the bottle cage on your suspensions?

Thank you all!

Hose clamp them to the lower legs with a wrap of inner tube between the leg and the bottle cage.
    Nothing that's worth anything is ever easy - M. Hall

mtbr member
    Nov 2016
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-prospector_downsized.jpg
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-prospector_downsized1.jpg
    Tumbleweed Prospector on the Colorado Trail.

Front stuff sacks: tarp, bivy, sleeping bag, clothes
    Homemade stem bags: guidebook, phone, snacks
    Revelate Gas tank: aquamira, headlamp, snacks
    Homemade frame bag: fuel & stove, tools, first aid, food
    Bindle and Terrapin: Clothes, cup, vest and jacket with a Z-rest over the top.
    Backpack: water, camera, food, solar panel (for the phone. worked well.)

I finished the first seven rideable sections. I'm looking forward to a lighter gear setup with some meatier tires for the next round.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Members who have read this thread: 439