Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Learning a ton from this thread. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Thanks for the Tarptent info too. I had never heard of them until this thread. Thanks!

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    water protein bar

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I have the Contrail TT and, so far, it works well. I haven't tested in high winds or in the rain yet, though. It is very large for a 1 person tent and I had no problem inside the tent moving around. There is plenty of room for my pad and bag and to set all my gear next to me inside the tent and still have room. Getting in and out requires just a little maneuvering but, if you move the tent pole a bit to one side, it is really easy (just make sure to move it back after getting in/out). It also packs down reasonably small to fit under my bars. I am debating adding stakes/guy lines to the sides to give it more stability in bad weather, though that would a little weight.

mtbr member
    Could someone please show a close up of the bottle holders on those forks???

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

IMG_0109 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Salsa Anything Cage with OR dry sack by mbeganyi, on Flickr

Like these? Anything cages with OR ultralight dry bags.
    Last edited by bmike; 07-16-2012 at 04:06 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by weebob View Post
    Could someone please show a close up of the bottle holders on those forks???
    I don't have any good detail shots of mine, but I can just tell you I used hose clamps and cut up sections of old tubes to keep from scraping up the paint (and helps the clamps "stick" better). Works great! With 1 litre bottles on there, I also had to tie some paracord sections to hold to tops close to the fork or they can bounce out of the cage (I was just using/reusing store bought water bottles as they are cheap and I can refill - an actualy large bike bottle might fit better). Very simple and effective.

I got a lot of information also from bikepacking.net. This link takes you to a page with details on a bunch of peoples' gear setups, including detailed shots. Extremely helpful!

mtbr member
    Some of the fork racks look to be bolted on and I would like to see how that works out,always lookin for a better way to get the weight lower,,,,

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by weebob View Post
    Some of the fork racks look to be bolted on and I would like to see how that works out,always lookin for a better way to get the weight lower,,,,
    Fargo fork has braze ons for them. And regular bottles too.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Nicely organized kit!

mtbr member
    This is from a solo round trip kokopelli trip, I did just take the river road up to the 70 and back to my car though.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-2.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-100_1354_0042_042.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-8.jpg  

mtbr member
    This is not mine, but I have had the pleasure of meeting Tom and Sarah. Anyway I thought this might be of interest given that is a good write-up in my view of touring with a Surly Big Dummy.

The full write-up can be found at Bicyclenomad.com

Andrew

mtbr member
    My current "off-road" touring setup is a 2008 Giant XTC 2 which until recently was pulling a BoB Ibex trailer. I have now sold the BoB and replaced it with an Extrawheel Voyager. I have yet to use the Voyager in combo with the XTC 2. It is currently being pulled by my Surly Long Haul Trucker on road duties.

Andrew

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Andrew,

Yep, stayed there too

Rode all the way to Walpole that trip, used the forrest tracks when the MB ran out, great ride.

Al

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by alanm View Post
    Andrew,

Yep, stayed there too
    I only called in for lunch. Found it too close to Nannup. I am thinking of doing the Manjimup to Jarrahdale next month as still to complete the newish sections.

Andrew

mtbr member
    Bikepacking... | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Going on my first off road overnight tomorrow on my Troll. Done a few road overnights, but very excited to try it out in the dirt!

T E A M L U N A
    Great thread!
    En la tierra de los ciegos, un hombre tuerto es rey.

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Here's my 2012 Colorado Trail Race rig. Details at: Toby Gadd: 2012 Colorado Trail Race Gear
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-ctrrig.jpg  

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    S24O bikepacking yesterday. Only about half my gear turned up on time so I had to ad-hoc my way through the rest of it. Worked pretty well. Didn't need cooking gear because there was this really good cafe about 15 mi from the finish. The tent was nice and is reasonably light, but I'll probably buy a smaller tent for just bikepacking (this is the one that my gf and I use when we go car camping - at 5 lbs it's still reasonably light though).

Old inner tube ftw :P. The two straps were enough, but the inner tube was my "spare" strap and came in handy more than once with stabilizing the bike while loading it, or holding it against a pole or tree, etc. Even if I get fancy gear, that's probably going to stay as part of my kit.

FWIW, the frame bag is actually empty; I had some spare tools in there and a camera, but everything I needed for the actual overnight stay was strapped to the handlebars. I also had a backpack that was also mostly empty. I had both in case I felt like the weight distribution wasn't good, so I could move it around if I thought I should.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    ^ great use of tube for handlebars.I used an old pair of pear izumi silicone grippers from my shorts

I married a witch.

I broke out the sewing machine (actually, I stole it from my mom) and sewed up some bags for my bike.
    Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by Flying-Monkey View Post

I broke out the sewing machine (actually, I stole it from my mom) and sewed up some bags for my bike.
    How does your Mom feel about you stealing her sewing machine to make the bags?

I married a witch.
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    How does your Mom feel about you stealing her sewing machine to make the bags?
    Borrowed, stolen, what's the difference between family, right?

She did ask me how many needles I broke in the process.

I've got to go mow her lawn this week, and I intend to return the sewing machine when I do. I'll show off the results of my work at the same time and see how she feels about it then.
    Be respectful to the disrespectful, wise to the unwise, caring to the uncaring, courteous to the uncourteous.
    My Riding Blog

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    very interesting

mtbr member

my rig for TD'13

I have a few tweaks to make and need to do some shakedown rides. Very happy with the work that Scott puts out from the Porcelain Rocket.

Voodoo Bokor 29er in bikepacking mode by Eight Zero Two Cycles, on Flickr

Last edited by bikecycology; 08-21-2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: pics

Page 8 of 24 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 18 ... LastLast