mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Very nice RenoRacing

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy74 View Post
    shakedown run
    Attachment 687501
    was gonna do a two night and two dayer, but was chased out of the woods by wildfires.
    them things move faster than i dont know what
    Hey Andy, what size chainring and cog are you using? Is there a build post/thread for this bike somewhere?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Renoracing - nice outfit - which bags did you settle on for the anything cages?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    The red bags shown are some Thermarest Pro Lite Plus Stuff Sacks that I picked up for $7 each, and they fit pretty well, but are very light weight material, and just a touch too "tall". I had an Outdoor Research Durable Dry Sack that I bought for my Western Mountaineering bag, in 5 Liter size, and it turns out that those fit perfect in the cages. They also have a little section of daisy chain on the outside, that you can then run the anything cage strap through, so that the bag wont want to wiggle free on the rough stuff. The other advantage, is that the OR bags are completely waterproof. I ordered an addition for the other side, which will have my bivy, air mattress, and tarp all inside. So essentially my full sleep kit will be fork mounted.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    I had my sleeping bag, wool long johns and top, a pair of socks and a togue in a OR dry back on one fork leg. A sleeping pad in a dry bag on the opposite fork leg. The tent and poles were in the dry bag mounted to the top of the rack.

No matter how crappy the the weather is during the day I made sure I had a warm and dry place to sleep at night.

This season I'll use a seatbag also to lighten the load in the back pack.

Fail again. Fail better.
    SaddleUp, how are you mounting you rack at the top tube?
    In case you've missed it:
    salsa minimalist rack voluntary recall/
    Roads? Where we're going we don't need roads. -Dr Emmett Brown

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Dusza, I did see the recall, the rack mounts directly to the fork crown without the recalled hardware so no worries. Thanks though!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here's mine: Packed up w/ a +beer load for a three day trip in/on the east slope desert in central Washington...
    S1140029

Here's a thread on the MTBR Washington Forum about the area. Story & pics about last weekends trip are on page 2. Quilomene/ Colockum Rambling's

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ward View Post
    Here's mine: Packed up w/ a +beer load for a three day trip in/on the east slope desert in central Washington...
    S1140029

Here's a thread on the MTBR Washington Forum about the area. Story & pics about last weekends trip are on page 2. Quilomene/ Colockum Rambling's
    Good lookin rig!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by scrotchrott View Post
    Good lookin rig!
    Thanks! Worked well in the desert. Had 8 16oz. beers on board. Rode way, way better than expected! Rode with 8+psi in the rear and 7+psi in front. Rolled through abandoned, rocky desert routes like an ATV.

Funny... the rig in the foreground is worth quite a bit more than the rig in the background...

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Here's an update:
    And here's the final load-out...
    Packed and ready for a Saturday morning departure. Bike weight fully loaded as shown is 37.85lbs. This doesn't include water in the frame bag yet. Backpack weight is 10.65lbs(confirmed with hanging scale), which also doesn't include water, with 2L it will be 15lbs even. I'm pretty excited to have such a light load on my back, as my last big trip I was packing probably 30lbs on several occasions. Should make for a comfy ride. I have a ton of room in the Osprey Talon 22 still. The fork bags are a little un-balanced(2.3lbs vs 4.2lbs), but just riding it around the block a bit, it isn't noticeable, and still tracks straight even with no hands on the bars... Although obviously the bag with food(Fork Bag R) will lighten as the trip gets underway. So truly, it should be balanced by the end of day 1.
    Here's pictures, as well as links to my gear layout, sorted by location:

Frame Bag: TCT Frame Bag
    Seat Bag: TCT Seat Pack
    Fork Bag L: TCT Fork Bag L
    Fork Bag R: TCT Fork Bag R
    Backpack: TCT Backpack

insert blank disk
    More, more, more!! These are cool, I'm getting inspired.

Ride steel, stay hairy.

Bikepacking - Pirrupakalarintja to Kata Tjuta. Northern Territory, Australia.

GT Peace 9R set up for remote area bikepacking. Frame bag has a three litre camel back inside and an MSR water filter/pump. Another 3 litre camel back in the backpack. Bivy and bedroll in the seat bag and sleeping bag on the handlebars.

www.bottlesandchains.com
    'ride local, drink global'

mtbr member
    bdstorer,
    Nice photos and good looking ride as well. Makes me want to get on my bike.

Greenwater

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by RenoRacing View Post
    Here's an update:
    And here's the final load-out...
    Packed and ready for a Saturday morning departure. Bike weight fully loaded as shown is 37.85lbs. This doesn't include water in the frame bag yet. Backpack weight is 10.65lbs(confirmed with hanging scale), which also doesn't include water, with 2L it will be 15lbs even. I'm pretty excited to have such a light load on my back, as my last big trip I was packing probably 30lbs on several occasions. Should make for a comfy ride. I have a ton of room in the Osprey Talon 22 still. The fork bags are a little un-balanced(2.3lbs vs 4.2lbs), but just riding it around the block a bit, it isn't noticeable, and still tracks straight even with no hands on the bars... Although obviously the bag with food(Fork Bag R) will lighten as the trip gets underway. So truly, it should be balanced by the end of day 1.
    Here's pictures, as well as links to my gear layout, sorted by location:

Frame Bag: TCT Frame Bag
    Seat Bag: TCT Seat Pack
    Fork Bag L: TCT Fork Bag L
    Fork Bag R: TCT Fork Bag R
    Backpack: TCT Backpack
    This looks awesome!, with the simplicity of a single speed.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005

karate monkey with panniers

Here is my karate monkey mocked up for my June 25 GDMBR departure. I'm planning on swapping out one or both bottle cages for the Topeak 1.5l capacity cages and carrying a 3l camelback bladder in a sleeve on the back. All of my gear including the weight of the panniers and handlebar bag weighs 27 lbs without food and water.........not real happy about that. I have 48 days to complete the ride and just might need every one of them!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-belgium-trip-049.jpg  

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    if that 27 lbs get you something that allows you to eat well and sleep well, it's worth every pound. i think you will get a lot more out of the ride than some of the guys who have a 15lb kit and sleepwalk through the whole thing.

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    I took a bit more on my GDR ride...

Have fun!

Really I am that slow

my 2012 setup for the divide

Read my BLOG!

Nipple twister and bike builder at Borealis

http://www.borealisbikes.com/

Big B's Trails
    Good luck Dave! I'll be watching your spot. We just did a 100 mile loop in your neck of the cactus over the weekend with a camp at the top of Yankee doodle cyn. Great riding in StG!!!
    I dig dirt!

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by ImaFred View Post
    Good luck Dave! I'll be watching your spot. We just did a 100 mile loop in your neck of the cactus over the weekend with a camp at the top of Yankee doodle cyn. Great riding in StG!!!
    thanks man thats one of my training loops! i'm super fired up for it this year!
    Read my BLOG!

mtbr member
    that's major! good luck, Dave!
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    What gear are you running?

Really I am that slow
    Quote Originally Posted by Punch and Bebe View Post
    What gear are you running?
    38x18
    Read my BLOG!

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Dave, off toic but that a Peter Lik in the background? Love the photo.

Good luck on the trip. Set up looks good.

Page 5 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast