Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast
    mtbr member

Bikepacking Rig & Gear Layout

My gear list changes a fair amount depending on the trip (weather, length, duration, etc.). These photos were from a HOT summer overnight trip here in South Carolina.

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-homesweethome.jpg
    Home Sweet Home - no longer use this tiny tarp

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-packed.jpg
    Here's my kit packed on the Black Sheep

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-layout.jpg
    Carrying a small tarp and bug bivy, a really light quilt, kitchen kit, and luxury pillow

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-journey-1.jpg
    It really isn't about the gear so much ...

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-journey-2.jpg
    ... or ultimately the actual destination ...

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-journey-3.jpg
    ... they're all just tools for the journey and that's where the fun is.

Lighten up.
    My 2011 ti' Speedway Fatback. All bags—except the front top tube bag (CDW)—are by Porcelain Rocket.

More photos and specs here

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    What an amazing collection of bikes...

Quote Originally Posted by RJRiegler View Post
    I've been debating whether or not to sew up my own bags (i kinda suck at sewing) or researching bags used and purchasing.
    I have been thinking about that too. I think I will be fine with a couple of duffle bags, one bungeed to the front, the other one attached to a seatpost rack in the back. Might sew on some velcro straps for the front one, and maybe sew in a stiffening rod (prolly an aluminum arrow shaft). I'll take a little time to find the right bag if I don't have one already around the house.

But, then again; I don't have anywhere to go....or do I?
    Gotta be someplace to go, huh? Some forest service land where you can just jump on a dirt road and ride for a few hours, and then find a little spot to set up camp...

Any thoughts on bike-packing with a rigid SS?
    Saw pics of one around here somewhere, before the super cool ones posted last night.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tenletters View Post
    Here is a bike packer that I ran into in the Himalayas:
    Hey Tenletters,
    Where were your pics taken?
    I did a 6 week trip through Tibet in 99.
    Been to Nepal biking a few times and Ladakh area in northern India.
    AWESOME places to see and great people.
    Great to see the photos.

Woody

Single Speed Junkie

Cold & windy

Last night winds were up and the temp was not. After working outside on the vehicle last thing I wanted to do was try out the bar bag setup in the cold. Living room works though. Bar bag is a Medium CDW containing:
    - Big Agnes SL Seedhouse 1
    - Exped Sleeping Pad (long)
    - Western Mountaineering Highlight Sleeping Bag 6'6" size
    - REI bag liner

Mounts up great to the bars and Faith Fork. Frame is pending along with custom bars.

Frame mounted will be a Tenkara fly fishing rod all self contained in line with the down tube. Just finished rough cutting the mount this evening.

Seat bag holds 3 days of food & cloths for decent weather.

Pack holds all the normal bike support gear, first aid, rain gear and anything else needing quick access. For colder weather or longer trips I use a talon 22.

Will post pics and more details when the frame is finished.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-dscn1431.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice setup, Crux. Who made the bar bag?
    DM

Single Speed Junkie
    Quote Originally Posted by donmeredith74 View Post
    Nice setup, Crux. Who made the bar bag?
    DM
    Thanks, I like the sheep. Bar bag was made by Carousel Design Works.

fraid of heights
    [QUOTE=tenletters;9060971]This is the setup I used, plus the huge camelback hydration pack. Use what you have and go![/QUOTE]

great advice!
    Quote Originally Posted by the_owl
    Everytime you ride in mud, god kills a kitten.

Fatbikepackraftpacking.

This place needs an enema
    Quote Originally Posted by ionsmuse View Post
    Fatbikepackraftpacking.

Yeah yeah--but what seatpost is that?!

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by mikesee View Post
    Yeah yeah--but what seatpost is that?!
    And how much does it weigh?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tenletters View Post
    This is the setup I used, plus the huge camelback hydration pack. Use what you have and go!
    GF Hoo Koo E Koo? I have the same bike from the same year.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quick question for you guys. Do the extended seat packs effect your riding on singletrack or steeper descents? I'm planning on doing the San Juan Hut to Hut and want to keep as much off my back as possible. A seatbag, bar bag and a regular camelbak should suffice, but I was thinking about the descent on the Whole Enchilada and the need to get of the back of the seat. Thoughts.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    seems like the seat bags hold the weight a lot higher than a low rack would.

mtbr member
    this thread is inspirational. were you guys backpackers before moving into bikepacking? i have no experience overnighting and have a learning curve to climb when it comes to food selection and prep. i have designs on taking up backpacking and it seems like the lessons learned would transfer quite nicely.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I did a small amount of backpacking through the years but nothing epic. Mountain biking is my love along with camping so the two just came together very nicely for me.

Adventure Mapper
    In addition to the bike build and bike accessories, can we start seeing other gear listed in a format similar to what Toby Gadd did on his blog, which I listed below, slightly modified? I think it would be very useful for those of us who are passionate newbies to bikepacking such as myself.

Clothing:

Personal/toiletries:

Navigation:

Bike accessories/gear:

Camping gear:

Nutrition:

First Aid:

Repair gear:
    I make maps and ride a SS El Mariachi with a rigid Fargo fork:
    http://forgivenick.wordpress.com/

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by bikerider2 View Post
    Do the extended seat packs effect your riding on singletrack or steeper descents? I'm planning on doing the San Juan Hut to Hut and want to keep as much off my back as possible. A seatbag, bar bag and a regular camelbak should suffice, but I was thinking about the descent on the Whole Enchilada and the need to get of the back of the seat. Thoughts.
    Hey br2, my short answer is no. But I'll qualify it by saying that I be sure my skills are honed enough that any technical terrain I'll be encountering bikepacking (read: seat not dropped, with seat pack and other gear) is way easier than my usual MTB fare. In short I think it's more about rider skill than a pack sticking out here or there.

I actually prefer to take some weight off the bike and wear it on my back if it's tech riding. The weight on me is more "sprung" than the weight/mass on my bike, and I think it affects the handling less even though it is vertically higher. Smoother trails and road, I agree less on you = more enjoyment.

Cheers,

Mike

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kevrider View Post
    this thread is inspirational. were you guys backpackers before moving into bikepacking? i have no experience overnighting and have a learning curve to climb when it comes to food selection and prep. i have designs on taking up backpacking and it seems like the lessons learned would transfer quite nicely.

I'm a backpacker, trying to become a bikepacker. Think of how much you love riding a bike and then think about how you would like to walk the same trails that you could ride. A lot of the fun factor goes away... I just got from a trip to Torres Del Paine where I did a guided mountain trip and then backpacked for 6 days. We only wish we could have been riding all the same trails we hiked.

So when you look at gear for backpacking and bikepacking look at 2 things, weight and volume. I've always tried to keep the volume down so I could fit it on a bike if I had to. You may have to buy and try different gear to see what works for you. I use bivy sacks for most of my backpacking, but some people feel claustrophobic and prefer tents, or tarps. Some people are going with really light torso only thin foam pads, I prefer the inflating air mattress, small and pretty light. Spend the money on a good, lightweight bag that will fill your realistic temp ranges. I've got a huge 3 lb 10 degree bag and then a light 1lb 32 degree bag. Which one do you think I use most when I'm doing only 3 season camping?
    Look at Andrew Skurka's book The Ultimate Hiker's gear guide. It will help you assess, whether you are camper or hiker. So are you about comfort while move, which equates to light packs or comfort while in camp or somewhere in between.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by forgiven_nick View Post
    In addition to the bike build and bike accessories, can we start seeing other gear listed in a format similar to what Toby Gadd did on his blog, which I listed below, slightly modified? I think it would be very useful for those of us who are passionate newbies to bikepacking such as myself.

Clothing:

Personal/toiletries:

Navigation:

Bike accessories/gear:

Camping gear:

Nutrition:

First Aid:

Repair gear:
    As posted on bikepacking.net, updates in blue:

Set-Up:

OMM Cold Springs Rack

Jannd Mountain Panniers

Small dry bag.

Gear in bags (approximate):

Cheap old 1″ Thermarest this will be my first upgrade for next trip- something smaller/lighter.ProLite 4 now

Western Mountaineering Highlite

1 midweight wool top

1 silkweight tights

Campor zip-off pants/shorts I liked this luxury item.

1 extra pair of socks

1 extra bike shorts

1 extra lightweight top

I’d live without these extras in a “race” but not a tour

1 novel, traded out when going through towns again, would leave at home in a race or not solo for 16 days

Alcholol stove and alchohol

small ti kettle

MSR coffeemate could have left this at home, but it was nice

coffee

small pirce of pack towel- about the size of dish cloth

toiletries -TP, Bronner’s, Tooth stuff, Contact lens stuff

Very minimal First aide- gauze, duct tape, Superglue, Benadryl, Aleve

Chaco’s - defintely could have left these at home, but I loved having them every day.

MSR Hiker filter

Food- up to 5 days worth, I promised my wife I’d always have 36 hours extra food just in case…

A few other small misc items…

Handlebar bag is an ANCIENT Trek bag I’ve had since I was 16 (36 nowmake that 40). Holds- Compass, map, hammock, rain fly. Hammock is Claytor Expedition, the best gear ever!

WIngnut pack on back- holds Sierra Designs jacket, food for the day and standard riding stuff, plus bladder. I don’t like carrying the weight on my back. This pack was never “stuffed”- and my back never hurt.

I am aware my set-up is “bigger” than most, but it worked great. I’ve noted what I’d get rid of if racing or with others. My only problem is when I’ve had to shoulder the bike across some serious water crossings, that’s a pain in the arse. Otherwise, descends awesome, handles great.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    thanks for the feedback, guys. i some of the items required for camping; a couple of sleeping bags, tents, hammock.... but i most often arrive at a campsite by motorcycle after having filled my gullet on the road. so food and cargo carrying will be the main issues, as well as downsizing from an already light load. it should be a fun process, hopefully without too many disasters. i've spotted that Skurka book on amazon, looks interesting, thanks for the lead.
    In a world full of people, only some want to ride. Isn't that crazy?
    Seal/CRAZY/misquoted

Quote Originally Posted by bikerider2 View Post
    Quick question for you guys. Do the extended seat packs effect your riding on singletrack or steeper descents? I'm planning on doing the San Juan Hut to Hut and want to keep as much off my back as possible. A seatbag, bar bag and a regular camelbak should suffice, but I was thinking about the descent on the Whole Enchilada and the need to get of the back of the seat. Thoughts.

Carry a ~25 liter pack. Run the pack mostly empty on dirt road stuff, then empty the seatpack into the backpack for tech descents.

mtbr member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Journey 1.jpg 
Views:	4524 
Size:	122.5 KB 
ID:	678389
    It really isn't about the gear so much ...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Journey 2.jpg 
Views:	4508 
Size:	336.2 KB 
ID:	678390

It's gotta be about the gear a little though, right?

Nice ride!
    Give me clear skies,
    Good friends,
    And a sand road that never ends........

mtbr member
    shakedown run
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-dscn0744.jpg
    was gonna do a two night and two dayer, but was chased out of the woods by wildfires.
    them things move faster than i dont know what
    Give me clear skies,
    Good friends,
    And a sand road that never ends........

Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast