Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)

674K views 980 replies 423 participants last post by  andrewfelix 
#1 ·
Post your riding rig and gear layouts for all to enjoy!

Descriptions of what you have got going (and how it works for you) are always a plus

#743 ·
My Surly Ogre. Revelate frame, seat and handlebar harness. Small Block 8 tires. Front rack is the Salsa Minimalist. I have three Anything cages (only one in this pic). Toolkit is in the small Soma Stash bottle on the frame. I think I'll go with a full frame bag at some point, but for now, I am using what I have.

#753 ·
@bmike I've seen a few of those types of setups with the Hope SS hubs on here. I think there are a few threads and IIRC Walt will chop up cassette for you to get it to fit. I like the idea, but have never had the need, as yet, to do it. Nice setup.

One thing I noticed that I'm curious about is that the forward running spokes on the disc side run internally instead of outside the flange. I've been told running the trailing spokes inside the hub flange and forward spokes outside the flange builds a stronger wheel. Which is how I have built my wheels, not that I'm a pro wheel builder by any stretch of my imagination. Just curious if you have any thoughts on that wheel build, I realize you got it from someone else, but curious nonetheless.

#754 ·
I bought these from an ace mechanic when he decided to abandon 29+ and move on to something else... I can email him and ask him.

I really want to do 16-20-24-28-32 - which I think would be ideal as a bikepacking option. But I don't want to risk chewing up my King hub by putting on individual cogs. I have another cassette that would work here, might take it apart, drill out out the carrier rivets, and see what I can make up...

#757 ·
Inspired by your 1x5 (hell, most of my stuff is inspired by that Krampus), I just pulled the trigger on half of the Sram X01 DH 7-speed kit. A super-burly 7-speed drivetrain with no tire rub with extra-fat tires, and only a little extra gear ratio above what I'm happily running on my SS build.

Looking forward to getting it together!

#760 ·
Another fat bike conversion to 29+ bikepacking

Here is my 9 zero 7 set up as a 29+ which I road on multiple surfaces in the French River area bikepacking.

Body of water Wheel Tire Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel

Using a Salsa Enabler fork with two 5L drybags in anything cages, 20L drybag in home made roll harness, 10L drybag in home made saddle rack and a Porcelain Rocket roll top frame bag. Riding without a pack.

Thudbuster seatpost and Jones H bar handle bar. I'm running a double stem with a lower handlebar to keep the roll forward, add places to attach gear including the mirrors.

#762 ·
Here is my 9 zero 7 set up as a 29+ which I road on multiple surfaces in the French River area bikepacking.

View attachment 1096450

Using a Salsa Enabler fork with two 5L drybags in anything cages, 20L drybag in home made roll harness, 10L drybag in home made saddle rack and a Porcelain Rocket roll top frame bag. Riding without a pack.

Thudbuster seatpost and Jones H bar handle bar. I'm running a double stem with a lower handlebar to keep the roll forward, add places to attach gear including the mirrors.
And an axe. :thumbsup:

#772 · (Edited)
For the long cold pursuits!

Bike :Canyon Dude

Topeak BackLoader seat bag: Big Agnes Blackbun UL 0º bag, JetBoil MicroMo

Topeak TopLoader bag #1: spare tube, mini pump, mini tool

Topeak TopLoader bag #2: Food, digital camera

Topeak MidLoader frame bag: MontBell down jacket, emergency hand and toe warmers, food

Topeak FrontLoader handlebar bag: OR bivy, Big Agnes Q-Core SLX Insulated sleeping pad.

Winter Bicycle tire Freezing Automotive tire Snow

Tire Wheel Bicycle tire Bicycle wheel Mountain bike

#774 ·
Sweet rig, Addy!! :thumbsup:

In a former life, I spent a fair bit of time in Baja. It's been fun looking over the route that Lael and Nick (and others) have put together, and to remember exploring some of those areas myself years ago. I'd love to get back down there and ride the whole thing some day.

#775 ·
Thanks Smithhammer, this bike has truly proven to be the jack of all trades I envisioned it to be when 'designing' it over 4 years ago, Walt nailed it then and it continues to shine.

I had a great time down that way. Nick, Lael and crew put a bunch of time into it and pieced together one heck of a bike tour. The group left on the 'grand depart' tour today. Hopefully the weather picks up a bit for them. As long as they stay safe and make smart decisions they'll have a great time. If you ever have the opportunity from the sections I did I'd strongly recommend it. The miles didn't come easy but they were beautiful.

I've got a more detailed version of the post here 'over on those other bikepacking forums' if you're interested.
Cheers!

#777 ·
My 2012 Highball only 3rd bikepack trip
Drive train is old school 3x9 with 20t small chainring and 34t rear cog. Superlow, but super nice for long climbs fully loaded.

Rogue Panda bags
Canelo Roll on the bars
Picketpost seat bag
Alamito Top tube bag

Just added a downtube bag to my kit, but have not had time to use it yet.

All tested on Arizona trail near picketpost Mtn.

Bicycle tire Tire Bicycle wheel rim Wheel Bicycle frame

#778 ·
Bicycle tire Wheel Tire Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle wheel

Been lurking a while, thought it was time to post here. I just picked up the Jones/Revelate truss fork bags, and they are rock solid, even loaded up. This is my rig as I'll be packing it for a multi-year bike tour I'm starting next year (minus the Bedrock Entrada handlebar bag, I wanted to check the handling fully loaded for the "big ride" but then I got lazy). For shorter trips, I just run the Revelate frame bag, the Arkel Tailrider, two Feedbags, and a Banana Hammock in the loop. I'll probably be leaving the fork bags on for shorter trips now too, they fit a good amount of stuff and don't really affect handling at all. Bike is the Jones Plus 24", Gates/Rohloff drivetrain, Scrapers and Chronicles, BB7s. Surly Nice Rack in back. Not the lightest rig ever built, but I don't get real hung up over weight. I'm riding, not racing. ;)

#779 ·
View attachment 1119972

Been lurking a while, thought it was time to post here. I just picked up the Jones/Revelate truss fork bags, and they are rock solid, even loaded up. This is my rig as I'll be packing it for a multi-year bike tour I'm starting next year (minus the Bedrock Entrada handlebar bag, I wanted to check the handling fully loaded for the "big ride" but then I got lazy). For shorter trips, I just run the Revelate frame bag, the Arkel Tailrider, two Feedbags, and a Banana Hammock in the loop. I'll probably be leaving the fork bags on for shorter trips now too, they fit a good amount of stuff and don't really affect handling at all. Bike is the Jones Plus 24", Gates/Rohloff drivetrain, Scrapers and Chronicles, BB7s. Surly Nice Rack in back. Not the lightest rig ever built, but I don't get real hung up over weight. I'm riding, not racing. ;)
Multi-year? Will you chronicling this adventure anywhere?

#780 ·
Yeah, I'll be taking along a GoPro and a Lumix FZ1000 (a long zoom compact camera) and my iPad to share the trip. I've bacpacked cross-country before and loved it. When I got back from that trip, I came across Iohan's (bikewanderer.com) videos on youtube, and knew I had to gear up for a new adventure. If you haven't seen his videos, drop whatever you're doing and go binge watch them asap! So inspiring!

#790 ·
Well this is my second Jones
It's a Jones Diamond.

But I have started building up a 3rd Jones!
This time a Jones 23"Plus Spaceframe for next year's Tour Aotearoa which is the longest event in New Zealand @ 3000km long (that's one million miles)

[emoji41]

Kiwi Pete out Bikepacking somewhere ☺