Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Re: Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)

Iron Bridge , North Georgia.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by L4NE4 View Post
    Makes sense. Id like to try a seat bag, what should I look for for my first one?
    Having seen a few seatbags up close from various companies and various cost ranges it's clear all seatbags are not created equal. It's also clear that you can fake a product photo so that your floppy seatbag looks awesome even if it works like a POS on the trail.

I know someone who makes seatbags [Scott @ Porcelain Rocket] so I use those ones and they are great, but they are not a low cost option.

I would stick with a major brand that you can find a bunch of positive reviews for the bag you plan to buy.

Making a high quality bag that performs well with a load is not a trivial task so you want to get a bag made by someone who actually bikepacks and who has worked out the bugs in their products with a few generations of prototypes.

All that to say just beware killer deals on bag shaped objects that may not meet your expectations. It won't be much of a deal when you have to buy a second bag on top of the cost of the first.

Aside from the function the fabric and stitching details vary widely. There are quite a few bags being offered that look like $hit. Whether that matters to you or not is a personal thing.

I appreciate a quality product made by someone with skills.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

I took this on the Great Allegheney Passage ride from Pittsburgh, PA to Cumberland, MD (150 miles). The frame bag was made 100% out of duct tape and had tie-outs for knotting to the frame. I literally just hung a giant lunchbox over the front of my handlebar and had it wrapped to the steerer tube. Lastly, I had a rear rack I bought at Wal-Mart. I discovered I was missing some pieces to it, but have it ratchet strapped to my seat with two backpacks in between. First time ever bike packing, but I'm excited to do it again!

Pirate!!!

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)

My Salsa Mukluk, custom front rack for my sleeping bag and tent, Revelate bags for the rest. Just completed a four day 350 mile tour of the California Lost Coast. Everything worked flawless.

Positively negative
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    +1 - definitely also:

- gear weight centralized and lowered in frame bag for better handling
    - narrow bike means much much much easier pushing during steep singletrack hike-a-bike
    - less weight, better handling and less worry about breaking stuff means you can ride your bike like a mountain bike

Having toured with both setups I'll never willingly go back to racks/panniers unless I absolutely must.
    It will also fit in a bike box easier . See y'all in a month.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Rig from my bikepacking trip to Assateague Island, not technically mine, demo from the shop I work at, but I have a 2015 on order.
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-10514083_508102969335527_1544874507_n.jpg
    "...when I stand to climb I'm like the Hulk rowing the USS Badass up the Kickass River."
    -michaelscott

mtbr member
    Jul 2014

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)

Ooo say hi to the ponies for me. I need to go back. After seeing a lot of these frame bags I am tempted to make my own. I'm sure there must be a sewing pattern out there.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    update on my rig, salsa fargo gen2.

yard sale by mbeganyi, on Flickr

thats not a moon by mbeganyi, on Flickr

finally have my water in the frame bag, used a sawyer mini this weekend and like it... mounted inline to my hydro hose on the bars.

IMG_3162 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Re: Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)

Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    update on my rig, salsa fargo gen2.
    Great job! Very efficient setup, I like your ideas. The retractable hose reel and the Sawyer on the bladder. Cockpit extender is well utilized too, everything seems well thought out and solid.

Would love to see a complete gear list. Thanks

Posted w/ Tapatalk via Android

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by ridemtn View Post
    Great job! Very efficient setup, I like your ideas. The retractable hose reel and the Sawyer on the bladder. Cockpit extender is well utilized too, everything seems well thought out and solid.

Would love to see a complete gear list. Thanks
    thanks... partial list, pulled from notes from previous trips. it all changes, depending on the season, mood, etc. (a slightly heavier setup with rain gear, cold gear and a change of clothes i feel could work for a much longer trip... once you have enough gear for a 2-3 day trip, it doesn't take much to go longer (assuming resupply, etc.)

Personal:
    Glasses
    Contact Case
    Sunglasses
    Maps / Cue cards
    Phone
    Wallet
    Knife

Electronics:
    Spot
    GPS
    Camera
    Batteries (can now top off a battery or run the GPS from my dyno hub)
    Headlamp and / or Fenix flashlight and helmet mount

Meds:
    Eye drops
    Contact Solution
    Tums
    Ibuprofen
    Zyrtec (allergy)
    TP
    Shovel
    Wipes
    Lantiseptic
    Hand sanitizer (in feed bag mesh pocket for easy use!)

Cook Kit:
    Gigapower Stove
    Ti Pot
    Ti Mug (if luxury camping)
    Bear bag with line
    Spork

Food:
    Varies per season, trip. Split up between tail bag and feed bags on bars

Hydration (in frame bag)
    Platy Bladder
    Sawyer Mini inline
    Aqua Mira drops (in with medical stuff)
    Spare bottle, if needed for refill / electrolyte (on fork, or frame, if needed)

Shelter (in rear bag, or on frame)
    TarpTent Contrail
    Pole
    Stakes

Sleep (in front harness)
    Big Agnes FishHawk 30d Down Sleeping bag
    Big Agnes insulated air core pad

Bike Mech (in jerry can and in frame bag
    Tube
    Patch kit
    Tire boot
    Pump
    Multitool (w/ pliers)
    Multitool (bike, with chain tool
    Derailler hanger
    Brake pads (1 set)
    Zip ties
    Electrical tape
    Chain Lube
    Brake / Shifter Cable
    Chain link

Clothes: (destination / weather dependent, in tail bag or frequently used items in Wingnut pack, if used)
    Boxers
    Woolie
    T-shirt
    MUSA pants
    Cycling Vest
    Arm warmers
    Cycling gloves
    Rain jacket
    Headnet if req'd
    Spare socks if wet / cold

roadie
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Cobb View Post

My Salsa Mukluk, custom front rack for my sleeping bag and tent, Revelate bags for the rest. Just completed a four day 350 mile tour of the California Lost Coast. Everything worked flawless.
    were you at standish-hickey around the 1st of august? i think we may have met as you were rolling out of camp...

Pirate!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by modbog View Post
    were you at standish-hickey around the 1st of august? i think we may have met as you were rolling out of camp...
    That wouldn't have been me, I was west of Standish Hickey on Usal road and hwy 1 on the 5th. We weren't too far off though.

mtbr member
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-image.jpg

Playing around with set-up for an overnighter. Gravel, doubletrack and pavement. Just need to figure the water carrying part out.

Did I catch a niner?
    I might just say use a light camelbak since you are carrying all your gear in the packs no need to put more of it in your back.
    Mr. Krabs: Is it true, Squidward? Is it hilarious?
    https://www.dollarshaveclub.com/ref/...A0CC/s/tx/cx/1

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by lextek View Post
    Attachment 921430

Playing around with a set-up for first overnighter. Just need to get the water storage figured out.

Using hose clamps you can get .7L on the stem at easy reach and 1.5L-2L on the DT for long stretches without water.

Works great and easily removable when you are not on tour.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    A more elegant solution for a bottle on the stem is the King Cage top cap mount. It's worked great for me, although when possible I prefer not having it mounted.
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

mtbr member
    Stem space is taken up by a Garmin now. I mounted the second cage on the seat tube. Would need side entry cages for it to work better. Put a small soft bottle in the frame bag. Maybe another soft bottle in the seat bag or look at mounting something on the fork.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by lextek View Post
    Stem space is taken up by a Garmin now. I mounted the second cage on the seat tube. Would need side entry cages for it to work better. Put a small soft bottle in the frame bag. Maybe another soft bottle in the seat bag or look at mounting something on the fork.
    get a bladder in there. run a hose to the front, use an ID badge reel, or get one of the dedicated ones from Showers Pass... I can get a 70oz in my Tangle on my IndyFab, and a larger one on my Fargo.

Untitled by mbeganyi, on Flickr

by mbeganyi, on Flickr

cockpit on the fargo by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    This is my full ride set-up. I move the sleeping pad to the bottom of my pack when riding.
     photo banderabike_zps28133158.jpg

Once I get to the site and set up camp, I strip the gear down to this, and proceed to ride!
     photo banderabike1_zpse3fee36a.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Couldn't figure out how to delete a messed up post... so I'm just changing it to "Hi... everyone have a great night"

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I carry a 64oz insulated growler below the down tube on my ECR and Krampus. The 29+ has just enough Q for the cranks to slip by and the weight is nice and low. The orange straps are called Pronghorn straps and one is more than enough in consort with a TwoFish velcro-on growler cage.

mtbr member
    Sep 2014
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-image-9-.jpg

ballbuster
    Access 29er with pannier racks, cheapo bags. I built this bike almost entirely from the parts bin. I think I only bought a new chain and Avid BB7 brakes and new shifter and brake cables.

I'm using a Planet Bike KOKO rear pannier rack that I had to modify to fit over the brake caliper. It's a cheap rack, but it was the beefiest thing I could find without spending real money. I expect it will show cracks at some point. When that happens, if I ride it enough for that to happen, I'll invest in a better rack.

Currently, I'm only doing overnighters, but I expect to expand as I get a better idea of what I'm doing.

That fork is a Reba that somebody on MTBR gave me because it was leaking air. I replaced the air o-ring seals, and it still leaked. The walls of the air chamber must have been scored or something. So, I converted it to a coil spring. Perfect for this. At least now if anything fails, it will still be rideable... unless the coil breaks, which is very unlikely. Anyway, Reba with coil spring is crazy plush... perfect for this. Lockout still works, although the damper side of the fork leaks oil out of the top. It's fine as long as I don't store the bike upside down. Not bad for only $60 invested.
    Last edited by pimpbot; 09-12-2014 at 04:00 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009

Chilcotins Set Up August 2014

My set up from a 4 day trip in the Chilcotins this past August long weekend. I made the bike bags.
    Fun times in fun places.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-adam-chilcotins-set-up-august-2014.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-chilcotins-shaka-bruh.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nov 2013

This is my Surly LHT Deluxe w/S&S couplers. Taking it to Asia

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-bike.jpg

Page 24 of 25 FirstFirst ... 14 20 21 22 23 24 25 LastLast