Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

cool stuff guys

Keep posting your rigs and gear lists. I love it. This has been a long time dream of mine. One day....someday....somehow, I'll make the time to set up my kit and plan a multi-day trip someplace high and lonely.

Keep it up & thanks

Porch
    "If we were Vikings, Rocky Mountain aspen stands would be our Vahalla and its singletrack our bounty" - Mtn Flyer Mag #14

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    click over to flickr to see notes on this. not the lightest setup.

swapped to a tarptent contrail, still have an e-bivy and also a henessy hammock.
    love the contrail, need to use it on the bike next season...
    Okay, on the rotor sizes that makes sense. Later i'll click into Flickr to see the gear. For some reason they have it blocked here at work. I have used a hammock many times, but have never even seen a HH in real life.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    Okay, on the rotor sizes that makes sense. Later i'll click into Flickr to see the gear. For some reason they have it blocked here at work. I have used a hammock many times, but have never even seen a HH in real life.
    no pics of the hamock in there. just took the tarp and slept on the ground.

here is what i'm using now...:

IMAG4271 by mbeganyi, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by D45yth View Post
    Here's a few pics from when I first built this bike up. I'll have to update them and provide my kit list when I next get things packed up for my next trip!

Tent, sleeping mat, sleeping bag and sleeping clothes are in the bar bag. Cooking gear, food and waterproofs go in the saddle bag. I have a couple of different sized Wingnut backpacks for carrying my normal biking gear plus snacks/energy products.

Bags are by Bikepack and the cooking gear is by Evernew.

D45yth, what handlebar is that?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    So far, only one bike shown has a rack, and it's a tandem. Are racks not used at all for bike packing?

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by alan ss View Post
    So far, only one bike shown has a rack, and it's a tandem. Are racks not used at all for bike packing?
    I raced the CTR in 2010 with a rack--and it worked great.

But I've since gone rackless, using bags from Revelate, etc. I don't really bikepack unless I'm racing, so the weight of the rack was one issue. But the bigger one is that racks don't work very well on full-suspension bikes on technical trails. The weight is unsuspended, and the ride feels sloppy and unsteady.

Here's blog post that I wrote a year ago about the pros and cons of racks:

Toby Gadd: Panniers for 2011?

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by alan ss View Post
    I use a rack, probably wouldn't if I weren't budget-minded, but I am, so I do.

They work, but it is heavier.

Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    They work, but it is heavier.
    But not by as much as they might initially seem. Maybe 2-3 pounds total, based on the calculations that I've done.

Depending on the bike and terrain, I think that racks are a great option for bikepacking. Having used both systems, I can easily argue that racks are actually better in many aspects. Carrying the weight nice and low, and not having to wear a pack, are decent advantages. Further, panniers are very convenient--unlike rackless bags which are compressed and harder to pack and unpack.

Even though I have a rackless system for ultra-racing (where comfort and convenience are secondary concerns), I am not about to put my my rack and panniers on eBay! On a hard-tail, they are pretty darn nice.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Nice rundown, Toby. Thanks for the link.

We used racks with hardtail bikes for a 4-day jaunt around Santa Catalina Island. They worked fabulously. We already owned panniers and racks, so it was a minimal $ commitment. With a HT and graded fire road (read: minimal technical terrain), racks are of very little negative consequence IMO.

The Old Man Mountain rack and Ortlieb panniers on our tandem are actually designed for the front. Both are much smaller and lighter than the rear-specific versions, and I further gutted all the extraneous features off the bags to lighten them up. A rack lets us lash bulky items out of the way and keep backpacks small. We decided on this direction in lieu of running a BOB Trailer on longer rides.

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    My stuff ends up being pretty light, but pretty bulky. I am going to need to go with a rack just to have room.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    A few of our rigs.
    Anthem X29er somewhere in the Sierras.
    Carbon Flash 29er in the middle of nowhere Arizona.
    Carbon Scalpel and the Flash in Utah somewhere. All great rigs and I would take any of them on a trip without hesitation.
    The "stuff" that spills out at the end of the day on a 3 day tour with my Wife.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-resize3.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-resize-2.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-resize-3.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-resize-4.jpg  

Only the curious have something to find.

http://wanderlustandtheroadlesstraveled.blogspot.com/

mtbr member
    I've stood in the exact spot of your tent. Used to be my neck of the woods and I know it well

How much of the Great Western Trail did you do?

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Allan View Post
    A few of our rigs.
    Anthem X29er somewhere in the Sierras.
    Carbon Flash 29er in the middle of nowhere Arizona.
    Carbon Scalpel and the Flash in Utah somewhere. All great rigs and I would take any of them on a trip without hesitation.
    The "stuff" that spills out at the end of the day on a 3 day tour with my Wife.

mtbr member
    What? Racks and panniers?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-026.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-011.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-029.jpg  

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    What is the disadvantage of the full suspension? It looks like most have hard tails.
    Bryce Jenkinson Photography
    www.studioido.net

I'm in...
    Jan 2011
    For me, most bike packing tips include pavement, dirt roads, and a touch single track. So full suspension is a bit overkill. Plus you have to adjust the sag, extra moving parts, etc. On a hardtail, you can load it up. As much as I love singletrack, having 30-40 lbs sucks the fun out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by brycej View Post
    What is the disadvantage of the full suspension? It looks like most have hard tails.
    Disadvantages of full-suspension:

1. Extra stuff to break and maintain. Keeping pivots and shocks functioning properly takes time and money. Blowing a shock halfway to nowhere would be a drag.
    2. Extra weight. Full-suspension bikes are heavier than hard-tails.
    3. Poor climbing. Even a well-tuned full-suspension bike doesn't climb as well as a hard-tail (unless, of course, the trail is reasonably technical).
    4. Expensive. Full-suspension bikes are pricey compared to hard-tails.
    5. Possibly unnecessary. A lot of bikepackers are riding big wheels (29"), with low pressure, high volume, tires (2.4"+)--which provide a lot of "suspension."
    6. Racks don't work as well. While there are some racks that will work on full-suspension bikes, I think that they work better on hard-tails. Of course if you aren't using racks, then this is a non-issue.

I ride a full-suspension bike though. For long days in the saddle on technical terrain, I find that I can go faster, fatigue less, and have more fun!
    Last edited by TobyGadd; 03-02-2012 at 01:22 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by brycej View Post
    More weight
    More parts to malfunction
    Less room for frame bags
    Trickier or undesirable to use a rear rack

I no longer own a HT, so that essentially decides what I use. My FS is a light, stiff 29er (Pivot 429), which makes a pretty good packingbike. Although the rear squish isn't de rigeuer, it's no serious detriment. I tie up the frame with elasticized cordage to give the shock a break, so I run the same pressure as I would unloaded. Prolly paranoia, but whatever.

Mike

Oops, wrong thread... Deleted,

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Here are some. If there is one thing I love, it's lot's of pretty bikepacking pics. My favorite though is campsite pics. Always so much to look at besides some dirty old bike.

more...buddy on the CT who was too tired to set up his tarp right. So funny...

Finally, buddy sleeping under the stars (until rain at about 3 am).

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Here is a bike packer that I ran into in the Himalayas:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-dsc01182.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-dsc01178.jpg  

Last edited by tenletters; 03-02-2012 at 07:31 PM.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    I ran into these guys twice and rode with them once for awhile.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-dsc01348.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-dsc01352.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-dsc01354.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010

My rig last year...

Here was my setup last Summer when I was loaded for a 5 day trip through the Eastern Sierras. This year I'll be on a new bike, and also be carrying about half the weight, as I've spent a lot of time and money this off-season on new gear... A nasty habit for sure!!!

Frame bag: tools, tubes, pump, water filter, 3L bladder, shelter poles, some food.

Seat Bag: Kelty Cosmic Down 20 degree bag, OR puffy jacket, extra socks, beanie.

Handlebars: rolled up in harness: Golite Shangri La Shelter, Big Agnes Insulated Air Core pad, rain jacket. Extra Pocket Attached to Handlebar bag: Camera, maps, snacks, flashlight, chapstick, etc. Also had a Flyrod strapped to it for this trip.

Gastank: snacks(2-3 Cliff bars or similar)

Backpack: Here's a good picture of just what was on my back in the Osprey Talon 22...

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    This is the setup I used, plus the huge camelback hydration pack. Use what you have and go!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-dsc01416.jpg  

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    These bikes are truly amazing! I would love to get into bike-packing, but the darn Olympic Peninsula is trumped by the OlyNat'l Park. I've been debating whether or not to sew up my own bags (i kinda suck at sewing) or researching bags used and purchasing. But, then again; I don't have anywhere to go....or do I? Any thoughts on bike-packing with a rigid SS?

mtbr member
    Chomping at the bit. Spring is so close.

Bedrock

Page 2 of 25 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast