Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast
Results 401 to 425 of 607
  1. #401
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    724
    The Sweet Roll looks neater for flat bars, but there's no way it's going to work with drop bars, i.e. on a Fargo, so the Harness is still useful.

  2. #402
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,816

    Re: Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)

    The harness and a pocket for cell phone and misc stuff looks perfect. Any other good manufacturers to consider?

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Tapatalk 2
    "Got everything you need?"

  3. #403

  4. #404
    mtbr member
    Reputation: bigringrider101's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Posts
    141
    El Mariachi with a Fargo fork, upside down Mary bars. Fun Fun Fun.
    Tent, sleeping bag and stove up front. Food in the frame bag and all sorts of clothing in the seat bag.

    No back pack needed with this set up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-el-mariachi-bikepacking.jpg  


  5. #405
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Posts
    1

    New Frame Bag

    This is my new frame bag. Made to fit my 2007 Giant XTC C1 by Bike Bag Dude. Very nice fit, 2 zips, waterproof.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-image.jpg  

    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-image.jpg  


  6. #406
    Irritating.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    The Sweet Roll looks neater for flat bars, but there's no way it's going to work with drop bars, i.e. on a Fargo, so the Harness is still useful.
    Works fine on my Fargo with drop bars.

  7. #407
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    724
    ^ Okay, how? From the pix on Revelate's website it appears to me that the Sweet Roll is just too wide to fit into the space available. However, I'm interested in being able to carry stuff on normal width road bike bars, and my Fargo has 42 cm Woodchippers, not 46 cm. Also, I'm not prepared to have my hands rubbing against the bag.

  8. #408
    Irritating.
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Posts
    247
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    ^ Okay, how? From the pix on Revelate's website it appears to me that the Sweet Roll is just too wide to fit into the space available.
    Just roll up the ends until you have clearance. I'm able to fit my sleeping gear (tent, poles/stakes, sleeping bag) without the ends mashing against the bars and I have just enough clearance for my hands.

  9. #409
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    724
    Aha! Now I understand - the pix show the bags at what is probably full width on flat bars and there's no way something that wide would work for me on the drop bars. (I wonder if my order has shipped yet? Maybe I can switch if not.)

  10. #410
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    212

    Krampus set up for S24O

    Name:  9014686170_287ce55dbb.jpg
Views: 4192
Size:  218.9 KB

    Sleeping bag, down jacket and air pillow in the Wildcat seatpack, air mat and bivvy bag in the Wildcat front harness, food, stove, bike spares etc kindle in the Revelate frame bag.

    I used a wingnut to carry water and spare clothing/wet stuff

    More info here

    Confused ?

    More pics here

    S24O - a set on Flickr

  11. #411
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    724
    Nice pix! I haven't been to Anglesey since I collected a frame from Tony Oliver in Rhosybol in 1982. It's hard to ride there from Sydney...

    BTW, what cranks and cassette are you using and does the chain rub against the tyre in any gears? Thanks!

  12. #412
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    212
    I'm hoping to move to Anglesey permantly in a few years time when the last of the cuckoo's has finally flown the nest :-)

    Straight through XT 2x10 set up, no rubs, documented with pics on the Krampus thread

  13. #413
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    724
    Thanks; I must have missed it. (I thought Surly were saying 2x10 was going to rub.)

    Hopefully will get to the UK in 2015, not sure where yet.

  14. #414
    mtbr member
    Reputation: TwoHeadsBrewing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,816
    Did my first bikepacking overnighter with my son over the weekend. 10 miles on trails the first day to "boat in" campground, then 30+ miles the next day to get back home on mostly paved roads. The Surly Cross Check did awesome, and was surprisingly well behaved loaded pretty tail heavy. I added some bungee cords around the panniers to quiet them down, but other than that it was a great setup. It would be great to add a front harness and a top pocket for the sleeping bag, ground cover, maps, cell phone, etc.


    Surly Cross Check 52cm
    Ultegra shifters/derailleurs w/ road triple crank
    Shorty 6 Cantis
    Continental 700x35c Cyclocross Speed tires (GREAT multipurpose tire)
    Cheap a$$ rack and panniers (mostly for commuting, and would want something stronger for long trips)



    I packed pretty light for this trip, and opted to sleep under the stars rather than bring a tent. It was no less than 55F overnight, and the bugs weren't bad. The heaviest items were food, sleeping bag and the water filter. I don't think my whole setup weighed more than 45#, using the ultra-accurate heft with one arm method.
    "Got everything you need?"

  15. #415
    mtbr member
    Reputation: MIKE157's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    Posts
    146
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    Did my first bikepacking overnighter with my son over the weekend. 10 miles on trails the first day to "boat in" campground, then 30+ miles the next day to get back home on mostly paved roads. The Surly Cross Check did awesome, and was surprisingly well behaved loaded pretty tail heavy. I added some bungee cords around the panniers to quiet them down, but other than that it was a great setup. It would be great to add a front harness and a top pocket for the sleeping bag, ground cover, maps, cell phone, etc.


    Surly Cross Check 52cm
    Ultegra shifters/derailleurs w/ road triple crank
    Shorty 6 Cantis
    Continental 700x35c Cyclocross Speed tires (GREAT multipurpose tire)
    Cheap a$$ rack and panniers (mostly for commuting, and would want something stronger for long trips)



    I packed pretty light for this trip, and opted to sleep under the stars rather than bring a tent. It was no less than 55F overnight, and the bugs weren't bad. The heaviest items were food, sleeping bag and the water filter. I don't think my whole setup weighed more than 45#, using the ultra-accurate heft with one arm method.
    I thought about going to that same boat-in spot for my first s24s but ended up going to Little Grass . Sounds like a good trip ,thanks for sharing......Mike

  16. #416
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5
    '99 Jamis Dakota frame with an Xtracycle kit. This was last weekend camping with my wife and some friends, me carrying all the gear for my wife and I.

    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-xc_grb_rest.jpg

    The suspension fork I have on there doesn't work well, it just isn't heavy duty enough to accommodate the long frame. It flexes a lot more than I'm comfortable with, so I ordered a surly big dummy fork this morning.

  17. #417
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Unchewable's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    73
    Your my hero man still trying to get my wife out there.
    Quote Originally Posted by SweetSVT99 View Post
    '99 Jamis Dakota frame with an Xtracycle kit. This was last weekend camping with my wife and some friends, me carrying all the gear for my wife and I.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	XC_GRB_Rest.jpg 
Views:	492 
Size:	253.7 KB 
ID:	810643

    The suspension fork I have on there doesn't work well, it just isn't heavy duty enough to accommodate the long frame. It flexes a lot more than I'm comfortable with, so I ordered a surly big dummy fork this morning.

  18. #418
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    5
    Quote Originally Posted by Unchewable View Post
    Your my hero man still trying to get my wife out there.
    It was a pretty easy sell really. She likes riding and camping, I just had to commit myself to carrying basically double the gear. She likes that all the weight slows me down to her pace too.

  19. #419
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    911
    The week before the tour divide I rode the route to elkford and then returned via some amazing singletrack. An awesome and ridiculously beautiful 6 day, 6 night trip.

    Name:  DSCN4889.JPG
Views: 3199
Size:  90.7 KB
    my sleep setup. I love the hammock. It's about 40F and drizzling. The sleeping bag is airing out before I pack it up and head off. Having the bike under the tarp is a great way to keep the parts happy.

    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-dscn4950.jpg
    kananaskis lake. The small revelate designs tangle bag just barely holds a nearly full 100oz camelback bladder. Nice to have it off my back. Pika seat bag was perfect for a small krampus with lots of seatpost exposed. I had tried the vascacha on a test trip and it was tough keeping it off the tire.

    Name:  DSCN4937.JPG
Views: 3185
Size:  85.2 KB
    the outdoor research 25L lateral bag was great, but required some muscle and extra webbing to keep it off the tire. It held my bulky 20F synthetic bag and air mattress.

    Name:  DSCN4955.JPG
Views: 3065
Size:  76.8 KB
    krampus did not like this muck! momentum carried me in and it was tough to get out without filling my shoes with it.

    Name:  DSCN5052.JPG
Views: 3777
Size:  82.4 KB
    krampus did not do well in the melting snow. I could sort of stay in control on mild descents. fortunately there wasn't much snow to cross.

    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-dscn5054.jpg
    Elbow Lake, quite possibly the most beautiful place in the world.

    Name:  DSCN5049.JPG
Views: 3065
Size:  91.9 KB
    I pretty much stayed awake most of the night hanging on to my tarp (literally much of the time) in case this nasty storm pulled my tarp stakes out of the ground.
    Last edited by PretendGentleman; 06-24-2013 at 02:15 PM.

  20. #420
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    133
    my revised set up; going lighter and using a different bicycle for now;

    Using all USGI MOLLE/ALICE equipment;
    front bag holds my sleeping bag; and tarp/ground cover with poles and long boot laces for guy lines; first aid kit is attached to side of bag, and a 1qt canteen pouch with my canteen, fire starting kit, Sterno burner, canteen stove, and gloves;


    bag behind bars holds spare tire tubes, small tool kit, leatherman multi-tool, and washcloth; then I have two canteens on the frame (each holds 2 quarts),


    the side bags in rear holds clothes, fleece sweater, light rain jacket, while green large pouches on the rearmost holds food and cooking utensils, and the bag on the top holds my 10x9 BQ grill with a plastic bag holding some charcoal briquettes for cooking; its a little heavier than some of you guys' set ups, but it works great for me




    the whole set up assembled; I am thinking either I get rid of the ground cover; and poles, or I get a front rack to help support the front bag;

  21. #421
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    440
    Pics from a few recent trips, including one with my 12 year old son. He had a great time!

    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-bikes.jpg

    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_0817.jpg

    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_0842.jpg

    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-milo-big-tank.jpg

  22. #422
    ballbuster
    Reputation: pimpbot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    12,639
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
    my revised set up; going lighter and using a different bicycle for now;

    Using all USGI MOLLE/ALICE equipment;
    front bag holds my sleeping bag; and tarp/ground cover with poles and long boot laces for guy lines; first aid kit is attached to side of bag, and a 1qt canteen pouch with my canteen, fire starting kit, Sterno burner, canteen stove, and gloves;


    bag behind bars holds spare tire tubes, small tool kit, leatherman multi-tool, and washcloth; then I have two canteens on the frame (each holds 2 quarts),


    the side bags in rear holds clothes, fleece sweater, light rain jacket, while green large pouches on the rearmost holds food and cooking utensils, and the bag on the top holds my 10x9 BQ grill with a plastic bag holding some charcoal briquettes for cooking; its a little heavier than some of you guys' set ups, but it works great for me




    the whole set up assembled; I am thinking either I get rid of the ground cover; and poles, or I get a front rack to help support the front bag;
    Wow, that's a lot of bags. I tried to strap my Teton tent to my H-Bars, but I couldn't get it to not interfere with my dual control levers. That tent is like 4 or 5 pounds and makes a 2' long tube when rolled up. I keep thinking maybe I should get a more compact tent or bivy, but I'm not sure I want to spend real money on this project until I do a few trips and figure out what works and what doesn't.

    You did a nice job of getting a lot of bags up front.

  23. #423
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    133
    Wow, that's a lot of bags. I tried to strap my Teton tent to my H-Bars, but I couldn't get it to not interfere with my dual control levers. That tent is like 4 or 5 pounds and makes a 2' long tube when rolled up. I keep thinking maybe I should get a more compact tent or bivy, but I'm not sure I want to spend real money on this project until I do a few trips and figure out what works and what doesn't.

    You did a nice job of getting a lot of bags up front.
    I decided to revise my set up once again; simplifying and reducing size of bags down; and reducing weight more..this is a 2-3, maybe 4 days set up if I can get enough food to fit in the panniers; or into the various small pouches;
    this time though; I ditched the tarp, the heavy ground cover (was a double layer poncho I made 15 years ago), the extra red blanket...and took out my Stansports Scout A-Frame backpackers tent; Stansport Scout 2 Person Nylon Tent; then folded it in half, put my blue sleep pad in there, and my sleeping bag in there.. then rolled it up, and used an USGI M1967 sleep roll carrier to hold it all in; without the poles and stakes/rope/rubber mallet, it weights just shy of 5 pounds. the poles/stakes/rope/rubber mallet, all are in one pannier with the food and bbq grill , the small pouches up front holds my first aid kit in one pouch, rain jacket in another, canteen cup and sterno burners/fire starting kit in a canteen pouch, and small foods. socks in the other canteen pouch; the handlebar brick bag holds my tools, spare tube, phone, small camera, washcloth, and cable lock, the other pannier bag holds my clothing; and on top of the rear rack I have a Spec Ops hydration bladder that holds my two 2-qt canteens.
    front; I realize it looks way huge and bulky... but its not wider than my handlebars; despite the perspective lol

    small pouches attached to front rack, canteen pouches in front positions, USGI USMC First Aid Kit pouches in back positions; yes the rain jacket packed that small.

    the back; showing the hydration pouch holding the canteens and the side pannier bags.

    overall shot; if the area I'm camping in, has enough trees close together, I could leave the poles behind... I am seriously considering getting a pair of graphite or similar tent poles and modifying them to fit the height of the A-frame tent and thus be much lighter than the aluminum pole sections; and pack smaller/slimmer; or be attached to the top tube via straps....not sure yet. the heaviest single items are the canteens with 2 qts each....and then the rubber mallet for driving the stakes down in hard dirt.

  24. #424
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Posts
    90
    Camodeafie I get the impression that half the fun for you is in the preparation! Which is the case for many people. I'm glad to see you paring down your load. If you haven't already gone on an outing, I would strongly encourage you to try the overnight/S24O idea. I'm guessing you will find that your perspective changes radically when you are actually on the bike and mashing up hills, etc. I know mine did. Suddenly all my "be prepared for anything" approach was replaced with a determination to streamline my entire setup dramatically. We all do this a little differently, but I think you might find the road is the best way to decide what to keep and what to jettison. Good luck!

  25. #425
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Posts
    133
    Owlish, thanks! I'm trying to find information on Bowers Rock State Park; whether it is possible to get there overland...as it is very close but officially it's not vehicle accessible; however, can be walked in..... or boated in. (it's on the river) a Pity I don't have a raft hahaha
    EDIT:: Bowers Rock State Park is Boat Access ONLY; (no recognized legal overland access; all overland access points are private property) And NO camping allowed. So essentially; it is a day use park for boaters and residents of the properties around it this is according to the email I got from Oregon State Parks and Recreation.
    Last edited by CamoDeafie; 07-30-2013 at 03:47 PM.

Page 17 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •