Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by estate8143 View Post
    However, I don't ever look at my front wheel, because it would be to late anyway to take action.
    Understood, but I find it helpful to be able to see just in front of the wheel, especially when trying to "lift" it onto things on slow climbs. (I also like to be able to see the front edge of the wheel when drafting or riding in a paceline.)

Thanks for the response. It's possible I might end up riding the Annapurna Circuit later this year, and part of that will require a backpack, which would be handy for side trips on foot in any case. Does the pack have any significant stiffeners, or does the top of the rack have a wider-than-normal platform to prevent bag movement (like the front rack)???

troll
    Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    PS: Should have said it before: Thanks to Troll owners for posting setups! :-) I'm about to get one so it's handy for me to see who fits what where.
    No problem! I'm biased of course, but I think the Troll / Ogre is the perfect (non fatbike) choice for bikepacking, considering how versatile they are. Krampus would get higher marks with me if it just had a few more cleverly placed braze-ons to give you more options.

After my first trip, here's what I'm changing for next time: First, I updated my Troll's fork for the new Troll fork, which will allow me to take advantage of Salsa Anything Cages for lighter, bulky gear that can be stowed on the fork blades (I'm just not a fan of zip-ties or hose clamps for this purpose). Secondly, I'm getting a full frame bag instead of the Tangle half-frame bag. This will allow me to store a 4L Dromedary bag along with all the other stuff I kept in the Tangle bag. I've found that I pretty much need 7L of water with me for an all-day ride, and coupled with the hydration pack, this should do the trick.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by brokebike View Post
    No problem! I'm biased of course, but I think the Troll / Ogre is the perfect (non fatbike) choice for bikepacking, considering how versatile they are. Krampus would get higher marks with me if it just had a few more cleverly placed braze-ons to give you more options.
    ^ Totally agree with all this!

Re water: The only time I've ever needed to carry 7 litres of water was on Cape York, where water could only be had once per day, at river crossings. I usually find 2-3 litres is enough to carry at one time, but of course this depends on what sources there are along the way and how hot it is. I expect my packing plan will mostly end up being very similar to yours, except I'll probably have a Revelate or similar "handlebar bag" rather than a front rack.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by brokebike View Post
    Krampus would get higher marks with me if it just had a few more cleverly placed braze-ons to give you more options.
    You can run the Krampus with:

- soft bags [no mods]
    - rear rack [no mods]
    - front rack [OMM works with no mods]
    - waterbottle or anything cages on fork [with hose clamps]
    - many types of trailers [no mods]
    - if you go with OMM racks you can even run fenders

The only real hack is using hose clamps to secure stuff to the forks, but I think that's a good trade of for a lively fork. One of the complaints MTBers have had with the Ogre and Troll is the dead overbuilt forks. Surly addressed that with the KM and Krampus. The cost was not festooning them with braze-ons.

If you are looking for a touring bike that can fit MTB tires the Krampus is not your rig, but if you want a mountain bike you can tour with it's a great choice and very versatile.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    the stand alone Krampus forks do have the braze ons for water bottles, I have a pair on the way

it seems to be called the enduro fork

Ison Distribution
    Last edited by SteveM; 05-11-2013 at 09:25 AM. Reason: additonal info

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ I think the Enduro fork linked to my just be the Ogre fork, but we need to know the axle to crown distance and/or offset to have any way of telling if it's really another version of the Krampus fork.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    hmmm, you have me thinking now, will wait to see which fork turns up, different info on the Ison site to the Surly site !

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    apologies folks, just realised that I've taken this thread off topic :-/

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveM View Post
    the stand alone Krampus forks do have the braze ons for water bottles, I have a pair on the way

it seems to be called the enduro fork

Ison Distribution
    here's another sighting of it:
    Surly Enduro 29er 4130 Cr-mo for 29 Wheel Disc inc Anything cage mounts krampus

"It has line guides for disc brake hose, inc Anything cage mounts but no rim brake studs.
    Axle-to-crown:483mm"

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ Useful info, thanks! Pity Surly haven't got around to mentioning it on their site, but I've noticed it ofetn takes them months to update things. I wonder if it's using the lighter tubing as per the Krampus fork and KM (according to vikb) or heavier as per the Ogre/Troll?

mtbr member
    I emailed Surly and there is indeed a Krampus fork with Anything Cage mounts. I have no other details.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

troll
    I like the idea of Anything Cages on the forks because there are a few lightweight, but bulky items that I'd rather not have taking up so much volume in my frame bags or backpack. I'm thinking of stuff like my sleeping pad, all of my stove/cookset gear... even my little backpacking coffee press. I'm guessing I'd barely feel the weight of these things on the fork, whereas when I strapped water bottles to my fork blades via zip ties, I definitely felt it, and the zip ties kept popping off due to the shifting weight in the bottles.

mtbr member

If you are going to mount bottle cages to your fork that doesn't have braze-ons use hose clamps. They are 100% solid.

Anything Cages are fragile and one of the reasons I decided to ditch my fork mounted cages was they ended up being banged up and got in the way when I laid the bike down or leaned it up against something or had to hike-a-bike through vegetation.

Salsa has said they'll be coming out with a more robust Anything Cage. Not sure when that will be.

It wasn't a total failure, but I didn't like it much.

I replaced them with a stem mounted bottle cage which I love. Makes getting water super easy and has stayed put even on rough high speed descents.

I'm trying out a 1.5L bottle/cage on the DT. That will give me over 2L of water which is plenty for my part of BC.

If I need a ton of water for a specific trip I'll throw 1-2L in my backpack and add fork mounted water bottles to the Krampus for that trip.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

My GF's Pugsley getting ready for her first bike touring trip ever.

Surly Pugsley - a set on Flickr

Stole the framebag from my Krampus. Porcelain Rocket bar and seat bags are new.

We don't need fatbikes for local riding in coastal BC, but it's her only MTB besides a 6"+ travel FS bike. So it's the logical choice.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    A photo from my first bikepacking trip
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-bike-trip-1-023.jpg  

mtbr member

Troll v2.0

Got everything set for a S24O. I originally ran a Salsa Down Under rack on the front, and carried the excess on my back in an Osprey Talon. Now, with the frame bag, and the bungee held dry bag on the bars, I have nothing on my back. Not perfect, but works.
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-image.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SelfPropelledDevo View Post
    here is my custom Hunter 29er
    I need a set up like this for bowhunting.

mtbr member
    Dec 2011

Pt. REYES

Pt. Reyes is a challenging climb to get to the bike accessable camps but the reward is worth it. I set up camp then made morning and evening runs (15miles roundtrip )to the truck for fresh food and cold beers which i kept in the cooler on dry ice.

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-405093_10151511321409256_855590781_n.jpg

mtbr member
    rocking the beamrack nice I ended up getting a revelate seat bag.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3rdrail9er View Post
    Pt. Reyes is a challenging climb to get to the bike accessable camps but the reward is worth it. I set up camp then made morning and evening runs (15miles roundtrip )to the truck for fresh food and cold beers which i kept in the cooler on dry ice.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	405093_10151511321409256_855590781_n.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	109.5 KB 
ID:	801681

ST HO
    Jul 2010

New Rig

Enjoyed my bikepack adventure on my new SC Blur TRC with 650b wheels.
    Name:  IMG_0533.JPG
Views: 1979
Size:  142.9 KBName:  IMG_0522.JPG
Views: 1971
Size:  122.6 KB

mtbr member
    What's the proper term for the handlebar harness/bedroll thing? I'd like to mount one up on my Cross Check to hold my sleeping bag and misc stuff like cell phone for quick access. Can anyone recommend something?
    "Got everything you need?"

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Several vendors make handle bar bags/harnesses. Here's Revelate's offerings: https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...g&CategoryID=3. I have the Harness and prefer it over the Sweet Roll. The Harness allows you to use whatever size dry bag/compression sack you want.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by TwoHeadsBrewing View Post
    What's the proper term for the handlebar harness/bedroll thing? I'd like to mount one up on my Cross Check to hold my sleeping bag and misc stuff like cell phone for quick access. Can anyone recommend something?

I just call 'em bar bags.

Mine are from Porcelain Rocket.

Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    how do you like the 650 b with a dual suspension light touring. I have a specialized epic that should be compatible for a 650b conversion and I have been debating it.

mtbr member
    I like the revelate sweet roll myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlish View Post
    Several vendors make handle bar bags/harnesses. Here's Revelate's offerings: https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...g&CategoryID=3. I have the Harness and prefer it over the Sweet Roll. The Harness allows you to use whatever size dry bag/compression sack you want.

Page 16 of 23 FirstFirst ... 6 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast