Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516
    mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    Super interested in more info about the 1x5 setup!
    Just the low end of a 9spd or 8spd cassette on the King SS hub.

1x5 Bikepacking Krampus with MRP Stage front end by Mike, on Flickr

I think the guy who I bought the wheelset from used a headset or BB facing tool to take a few mm off the carrier to get it to fit.

I'm using a 9spd bar end shifter on a Paul thumbie to push a Tiagra short cage road derailer. So far nothing blew up.

I have a nice XTR reverse rise that I wanted to use but need longer limit screws. But the short cage works well enough. Aside from chain slap, which I haven't heard in 3 years with the SS and Rohloff setup.

Sort of miss the SS but I might be glad for a few lower gears. I was running 30/20 and the cassette is 19-32 so I'm dropping 1 tooth and picking up the low end. So I'll be slow on the road stretches and have a few more options on the steep stuff.

mtbr member

Some pics from our trip to Pöyrisjärvi wilderness area https://m.flickr.com/#/photos/145140...7673675645185/

mtbr member
    @bmike I've seen a few of those types of setups with the Hope SS hubs on here. I think there are a few threads and IIRC Walt will chop up cassette for you to get it to fit. I like the idea, but have never had the need, as yet, to do it. Nice setup.

One thing I noticed that I'm curious about is that the forward running spokes on the disc side run internally instead of outside the flange. I've been told running the trailing spokes inside the hub flange and forward spokes outside the flange builds a stronger wheel. Which is how I have built my wheels, not that I'm a pro wheel builder by any stretch of my imagination. Just curious if you have any thoughts on that wheel build, I realize you got it from someone else, but curious nonetheless.
    I don't know why,... it's just MUSS easier to pedal than the other ones.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by dbhammercycle View Post
    @bmike I've seen a few of those types of setups with the Hope SS hubs on here. I think there are a few threads and IIRC Walt will chop up cassette for you to get it to fit. I like the idea, but have never had the need, as yet, to do it. Nice setup.

One thing I noticed that I'm curious about is that the forward running spokes on the disc side run internally instead of outside the flange. I've been told running the trailing spokes inside the hub flange and forward spokes outside the flange builds a stronger wheel. Which is how I have built my wheels, not that I'm a pro wheel builder by any stretch of my imagination. Just curious if you have any thoughts on that wheel build, I realize you got it from someone else, but curious nonetheless.
    I bought these from an ace mechanic when he decided to abandon 29+ and move on to something else... I can email him and ask him.

I really want to do 16-20-24-28-32 - which I think would be ideal as a bikepacking option. But I don't want to risk chewing up my King hub by putting on individual cogs. I have another cassette that would work here, might take it apart, drill out out the carrier rivets, and see what I can make up...

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Super interested in more info about the 1x5 setup!

so i had some really weird chain suck on the setup pictured in that last post:

Battle damage. Re/wrapped and swapped to an XTR derailer. Probably gonna suck it up and single speed. by Mike, on Flickr

It did some damage to my chain stay.
    So I pulled the Tiagra derailer and put on the XTR reverse rise or whatever - seems to be working far better.

And I changed how I wrapped the stay for chain slap:

Battle damage. Re/wrapped and swapped to an XTR derailer. Probably gonna suck it up and single speed. by Mike, on Flickr

So far, much better!

Then, because I had one, I added a chain watcher to the seatpost... although I'm running a WolfTooth Narrow Wide - so its likely not needed.

Insurance by Mike, on Flickr

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    1x5 Krampus overnight a success.
    50+ miles in just over 24 hours with camping in between.
    Singletrack, doubletrack, forest road and a slice of pavement.

Bikepacking VT by Mike, on Flickr

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    1x5 Krampus overnight a success.
    50+ miles in just over 24 hours with camping in between.
    Singletrack, doubletrack, forest road and a slice of pavement.

Inspired by your 1x5 (hell, most of my stuff is inspired by that Krampus), I just pulled the trigger on half of the Sram X01 DH 7-speed kit. A super-burly 7-speed drivetrain with no tire rub with extra-fat tires, and only a little extra gear ratio above what I'm happily running on my SS build.

Looking forward to getting it together!
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Inspired by your 1x5 (hell, most of my stuff is inspired by that Krampus), I just pulled the trigger on half of the Sram X01 DH 7-speed kit. A super-burly 7-speed drivetrain with no tire rub with extra-fat tires, and only a little extra gear ratio above what I'm happily running on my SS build.

Looking forward to getting it together!

That sounds rad..... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

mtbr member
    disregard...pic issues
    Signature

mtbr member
    Jul 2008

Another fat bike conversion to 29+ bikepacking

Here is my 9 zero 7 set up as a 29+ which I road on multiple surfaces in the French River area bikepacking.

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_1931.jpg

Using a Salsa Enabler fork with two 5L drybags in anything cages, 20L drybag in home made roll harness, 10L drybag in home made saddle rack and a Porcelain Rocket roll top frame bag. Riding without a pack.

Thudbuster seatpost and Jones H bar handle bar. I'm running a double stem with a lower handlebar to keep the roll forward, add places to attach gear including the mirrors.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    That sounds rad..... hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm
    never mind... $$$ for a range that I'd have to tweak my crank to lower, and i'd need a sram hd driver hub.
    but still a cool concept.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Adventure Dan View Post
    Here is my 9 zero 7 set up as a 29+ which I road on multiple surfaces in the French River area bikepacking.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1931.jpg 
Views:	88 
Size:	174.8 KB 
ID:	1096450

Using a Salsa Enabler fork with two 5L drybags in anything cages, 20L drybag in home made roll harness, 10L drybag in home made saddle rack and a Porcelain Rocket roll top frame bag. Riding without a pack.

Thudbuster seatpost and Jones H bar handle bar. I'm running a double stem with a lower handlebar to keep the roll forward, add places to attach gear including the mirrors.
    And an axe.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

My Bikepacking rig

My first attempt at a bikepacking setup.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-image.jpg  

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Just the low end of a 9spd or 8spd cassette on the King SS hub.

I think the guy who I bought the wheelset from used a headset or BB facing tool to take a few mm off the carrier to get it to fit.

I'm using a 9spd bar end shifter on a Paul thumbie to push a Tiagra short cage road derailer. So far nothing blew up.

I have a nice XTR reverse rise that I wanted to use but need longer limit screws. But the short cage works well enough. Aside from chain slap, which I haven't heard in 3 years with the SS and Rohloff setup.

Sort of miss the SS but I might be glad for a few lower gears. I was running 30/20 and the cassette is 19-32 so I'm dropping 1 tooth and picking up the low end. So I'll be slow on the road stretches and have a few more options on the steep stuff.
    I've had your 5-speed build in my head all month. I loved the simplicity of it, and the "zen" experience of having a limited gear range, but with a little variation for mixed terrain bikepacking.

I had some parts kicking around my LBS and found a few deals on eBay, and I'm 95% of the way to running the Sram 7-speed DH group on my Pugsley. I'll have a range of 11-24 with 7 speeds, very lightweight with all-steel cassette cogs, and a 28T narrow-wide chainring (Surly's steel NW) with a bash. Nice and clean, with the ability to quickly shed gears on the downhill and get a little more leverage on steep climbs. Plus, I get tons of mud/snow clearance with a big rear tire. Chain rub was the only issue when I ran 4.6" in the back last winter.

This should be fun. And, since the DH group costs so much less than regular 11-speed X01, I also get a really expensive, primo, nice-feeling shift without destroying my budget!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I've had your 5-speed build in my head all month. I loved the simplicity of it, and the "zen" experience of having a limited gear range, but with a little variation for mixed terrain bikepacking.

I had some parts kicking around my LBS and found a few deals on eBay, and I'm 95% of the way to running the Sram 7-speed DH group on my Pugsley. I'll have a range of 11-24 with 7 speeds, very lightweight with all-steel cassette cogs, and a 28T narrow-wide chainring (Surly's steel NW) with a bash. Nice and clean, with the ability to quickly shed gears on the downhill and get a little more leverage on steep climbs. Plus, I get tons of mud/snow clearance with a big rear tire. Chain rub was the only issue when I ran 4.6" in the back last winter.

This should be fun. And, since the DH group costs so much less than regular 11-speed X01, I also get a really expensive, primo, nice-feeling shift without destroying my budget!

Nice. I wanted to go the other way - didn't care about the fast end, wanted a little more range on the low end.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Nice. I wanted to go the other way - didn't care about the fast end, wanted a little more range on the low end.
    It sort of sounds stupid, but I don't want to lose the punishment of SS. It's been really good for my technique and my endurance to have to push a higher gear almost all the time.

At any rate, if the experimental DH Drivetrain doesn't check enough boxes I can always go back to the single cog!

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    It sort of sounds stupid, but I don't want to lose the punishment of SS. It's been really good for my technique and my endurance to have to push a higher gear almost all the time.
    No doubt. And that 7 speed setup will be bomber. I'm using the 5spd as a bridge to go SS trippin'. Just not there yet. And for me, 30/32 on trails up here is punishing enough when the rest of the group is riding 24 or 28x42!

MaxTheCyclist.com
    No doubt. And that 7 speed setup will be bomber. I'm using the 5spd as a bridge to go SS trippin'. Just not there yet. And for me, 30/32 on trails up here is punishing enough when the rest of the group is riding 24 or 28x42!
    I'm definitely no superhero out there when it comes to SS, but I have my rig set up with 31/18 and 24/25 with the dinglespeed setup. And, I haven't switched over to the 24/25 setup since I got back from Iceland in August. I've spent the last two weekends in the woods practicing clearing the tougher climbs in the big gear, and boy, it's brutal and momentum makes a big difference, but I can do it most of the time! It's really satisfying coming into a short, punchy climb aggressively and then barely sneaking over the crest at the top. We have a few good dried-out flash flood streambeds that have made for some pretty great climbs, too.

For bikepacking, I found that 24/25 was still ridiculously low. I didn't struggle with anything on it. So, I imagine the low end of this setup (28/24) is going to cover about 90% of the climbing. Anything steeper than that, and I'm happy to walk.

I don't know what I'm gonna do with 28/11. That's a fast gear. Maybe I'll try a couple of casual road group rides!

Kind of terrible iPhone pic from today, now set up tubeless and loving the weight decrease. About 28lbs without the framebag or bottle cages.

Proper Gnomenclature
    The rig for my upcoming 3-day weekend:

Advocate Hayduke
    Surly ECR
    Surly Straggler
    Salsa Blackborow

Page 16 of 16 FirstFirst ... 61213141516