Page 15 of 16 FirstFirst ... 5111213141516 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Ended up running two bottles...one in cage and one in a feedbag. Hydration bladder was taking up too much room. Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-12187892_10207931024133875_2408300070615249226_n.jpg
    Signature

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by trailnimal View Post
    guessing somewhere in australia
    Yes. South Coast of NSW about 2hrs from Sydney.

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Good day all, I thought I'd share my setup. This was during the Tuscobia 150 race in January. So, no bikepacking but all the right gear to do so. Sleeping bag/pad/bivy sack in the rear bag along with some extra clothes. Fuel on the down tube. Protien mix and hot coco in the two thermoses on the forks. Lots of food in the handle bar bag. Spare tube, chain,tool and first-aid kit in the frame bag. This year I plan on sliming it all down a bit. I think the whole shibang was about 60 lbs. Have a good day eh. Takk
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_0902.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Here is my semifat setup for longer self supported tours:

Link to larger image: https://www.flickr.com/photos/mustan...41778/sizes/h/

mtbr member
    My ECR and my Dad's Fargo posing at the Mayer, AZ Circle K during a recent trip through the Bradshaw Mountains.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    That's not MTB and that's pretty lightweight, but whatever!
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-11376659_719205221517311_1352850666_n.jpg

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    2014 Salsa El Mariachi Ti.

I'm training for the Tour Divide this June. I'm waiting for my frame pack for the front triangle but otherwise it's almost done. I've got all my gear except a sleeping pad and I'm looking for advice on that.

I'm either going to use a water bladder in the triangle pack and strap two cages under the down tube or go with two cages and a small hydration pack.

All the packs are from Revelate.

Niner Carbon Fork.

Wheel's manufacturing GXP bottom bracket.

White Industries M16 Rear Hub.

Stan's Flow rim in the back, Arch up front.

Shutter Precision PD8 generator hub in front with a Sinewave charger. I can charge my iPhone from close to zero to 100 percent in about eight hours. Charges my lights, too.

Nite Rider Lumina 750 light. I can get about five hours of burn time on the low setting which, so far, seems to be plenty bright enough.

SRAM X9 2x10 with an 11-36 cassette and and 30/22 chainrings.

Geax Saguaro tires, running them tubeless. I have about 1500 miles on this set and they are still going strong.

Thudbuster seatpost. Really makes a difference.

Jones Loop H Bars.

SRAM Guide RS brakes

Time ATAC DH4 pedals.

Etrex 30 GPS (also going to carry my Etrex 20 as a backup)

I can fit my bivvy tent and sleeping bag in the seat pack. The "Sweet roll" up front is for clothes and cold weather gear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_1030.jpg  

Last edited by Ailuropoda; 01-13-2016 at 01:20 AM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2015
    Don't forgot to take a power bank, in order to charge it when your iphone / lights are full.
    I'm not quite sure a Niterider with 5 hours is alright, would have been for something more powerfull / with a better burning time.... but i'm not quite an expert in off road.

mtbr member

Nice Rig Brah

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlebees View Post
    Attachment 1015446

Any love for all rigid steel?
    Nice rig brah, that what the hell I'm talkin about!! Keepin it real with the steel and the beer on ice!
    "... Say you coming and took you for a spin like a stolen, rusty cruiser, boy. Yeah, I'm talkin 'bout a HARSH ride. "

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Alfred IV View Post
    Don't forgot to take a power bank, in order to charge it when your iphone / lights are full.
    I'm not quite sure a Niterider with 5 hours is alright, would have been for something more powerfull / with a better burning time.... but i'm not quite an expert in off road.
    I also have a NiteRider 550 next to it; backup. It burns for four hours, easily, on the low power setting.

I'm hoping to get up early and ride in the dark for a few hours and do some night riding if the conditions and terrain permit it.

The lights seem okay. I've been doing a lot of night riding and have had no problems on dirt and gravel roads.

mtbr member
    Aug 2011

'88 Raleigh Chill, old rig but still camping well

88 Raleigh Technium Chill. Still running well as a camper.Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_0368.jpg

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Cotic Simple, with some BikeBagDude goodness. This was packed up to bivy out overnight on a little 220km loop last weekend here in NZ

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-12509792_566928833457141_5522692905833886467_n.jpg

Gravel much?
    Jan 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisgardner73 View Post
    I'm getting everything ready for my first trip next month, so...

Here's my rig; my Niner SIR 9 setup with a full complement of Revelate Designs bags. I converted the bike from a singlespeed to a 1x10 using a SRAM XO shifter, Type 2 rear derailleur, and 12-36 cassette, and a Race Face 30T narrow/wide ring.

I'm still toying around with how I'm going to place all of my gear.

Attachment 893198
    What size frame is your SIR9 and what size Revelate do you use? I've got a medium SIR and figured a medium Tangle framebag would work.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by monolith View Post
    Cotic Simple, with some BikeBagDude goodness. This was packed up to bivy out overnight on a little 220km loop last weekend here in NZ

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	12509792_566928833457141_5522692905833886467_n.jpg 
Views:	270 
Size:	118.3 KB 
ID:	1046113
    Desperately want to see more pictures of this bike, and bigger pictures!
    Ultralight bikepacking and gear lists... MaxTheCyclist.com

mtbr member
    Sep 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by grizzlebees View Post
    Attachment 1015446

Any love for all rigid steel?

Rear Sackville has tent (big agness seedhouse ul 2), sleeping pad (big agnes q core), sleeping quilt (jacks r better), and pillow (some rei one that everyone seems to have).
    Front rack (top) has tools, headlamps, and misc. supplies
    Front left pannier has clothes
    Front right pannier has food, beer, and whiskey. Beer is wrapped in this insulating bag I get with my Blue Apron deliveries and an ice pack to keep cool. Canned beer only for the trails!
    Grizzlebees, any longterm review on how your sackville has handled for bikepacking? Which rack are you using there?

mtbr member

Old school camping.

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_5555.jpg
    Since I am trying to sell my Fargo, and I had some free time, I set up my old Rollfast for some bikepacking. Revelate Viscacha, Banjo Brothers Minehaha Canvas bag up front, and a Revelate gas tank. Should be okay for a simple single speed s24o.

I've been reading way too much on Rivendell's site as of late...

mtbr member
    Feb 2015
    ^ put on your wool panties and go!

mtbr member
    Hi all and greetings from Finland!
    Here is my Salsa Mukluk3. Frame bag, stemcell, "jerrycan" and top tube bag are DIY.

mtbr member
    Last edited by cuppis; 08-10-2016 at 11:56 PM.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Another bad day of weather here so I decided to set about testing how to load my bike for some bikepacking.

I have been collecting bits and bob's for some overnight adventures for a while and after last weekends tent purchase, I am nearly nearly there. Everything fitted on the bike and I still have plenty space for food and some clothes. The bike will be ready for adventure once we get a bit of a dry spell.

Tent (inner, fly & pegs), groundsheet and Clothes in Saddle Pack
    Food + extras in Frame Bag.
    Sleeping Bag, Sleep Mat, Stove & pot and Poles in the SweetRoll (Pouch still empty)
    Water, toolkit/spares in my osprey hydration pack.
    Ti Cup, tea, Hot Choc, sugar and milk in the waterbottle holder.

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-25236525160_0b6974ede5_c.jpg

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-24905436393_f216c8fed9_c.jpg

mtbr member
    My 120mm full suspension 27.5+ bike heading out for an overnighter. Tarp, groundcloth, pad, poles, and a couple of items of clothing just the right size in the handlebar roll. Sleeping quilt and clothes in the seatbag. Bike repair and water filter in the frame bag. Odd and ends and food in the pack. Camera and snacks in the handlebar roll pocket. Bedrock Entrada handlebar roll, Bedrock Coconino seatbag, Rogue Panda frame bag, and Osprey Escapist 20 backpack.

I can drop the seat about 1.5 inches.

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-wwstart.jpgPost your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-wwromero.jpg

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    My 120mm full suspension 27.5+ bike heading out for an overnighter. Tarp, groundcloth, pad, poles, and a couple of items of clothing just the right size in the handlebar roll. Sleeping quilt and clothes in the seatbag. Bike repair and water filter in the frame bag. Odd and ends and food in the pack. Camera and snacks in the handlebar roll pocket. Bedrock Entrada handlebar roll, Bedrock Coconino seatbag, Rogue Panda frame bag, and Osprey Escapist 20 backpack.

I can drop the seat about 1.5 inches.

Name:	WWStart.jpg 
Views:	202 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	1054744Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WWRomero.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	129.7 KB 
ID:	1054745
    Whoa. Steel FS with an RS-1. Sick.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Welnic View Post
    Bedrock Coconino seatbag
    Nice setup, man!! How is the seatpack working for you, I like the sound of the saddle rail wing.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    Whoa. Steel FS with an RS-1. Sick.
    My thread on the bike:
    Waltworks 27.5+ 120mm full suspension bike

Builder's post about the bike:
    27.5+ is pretty awesome too.

Quote Originally Posted by Flying_Scotsman View Post
    Nice setup, man!! How is the seatpack working for you, I like the sound of the saddle rail wing.
    I got my seatbag before they added the saddle rail wing. I liked the looks of it though so I bought one even though my bag doesn't have the velcro part on it the new ones do. But I haven't used it yet and despite a frantic search just before this trip I was unable to find it. I don't have any complaints about the stability of the current bag, I'm mainly excited about getting it on and off easier.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I'm not sure where my bike should live on the forums at the moment, it's a little bit lean to call a bikepacking rig at the moment, but I have a full compliment of racks (or at least, have on order) and panniers / bags to take it on some trips. But as pictured, it's very much a long dayride bike.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Regardless of where it "belongs," that's a really nice looking bike.
    Spinymouse

11 KM SS
    13 CC Rando-Check
    13 Pugsley

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Depending on the frame size it probably belongs in my garage 8-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Mar 2016

Carver Gnarvester setup

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-img_1013.jpg

mtbr member
    Sep 2014

My set up on Kona Trial DL bike

Hi
    Here my set up
    I have place for 5 liter of water on the frame
    I try to carry lower witght on my back
    Frame bags are self made
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-photo_20160319_101215.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by jro26 View Post

Name:	IMG_1013.jpg 
Views:	210 
Size:	435.4 KB 
ID:	1058011
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-wpid-2015-07-07-09-23-00-1.jpg
    https://worntreadsblog.files.wordpre...-00-1-jpg.jpeg

My non-drive side Carver on Tour Divide. I really need to take this bad boi out with 3" tires on a bikepack soon.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Ready for the Tour Divide...

Rebuilding a new SP PD8 dynamo hub as this one has more than 5000 miles on it. It's still going strong but I don't want to push it.

Having a new rear wheel built around a White Industries XMR hub. 40 spokes. I'll eat some extra weight for durability.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-small.jpg  

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Out of curiosity, what size frame is this pictured?

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by avex View Post
    Out of curiosity, what size frame is this pictured?
    large

R.I.P. DogFriend
    Quote Originally Posted by Ailuropoda View Post
    2014 Salsa El Mariachi Ti.

I'm training for the Tour Divide this June.

Nite Rider Lumina 750 light. I can get about five hours of burn time on the low setting which, so far, seems to be plenty bright enough.
    FYI: If you hold the power button down on the Lumina until the light goes into flashing mode, and then press it once more, it goes into 'walking' mode. Walking mode lasts up to 14 hours and is plenty bright enough for climbing and slower flat riding.

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Fatpacking in New England.

Too bad the trip ended prematurely!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mdilthey View Post
    Fatpacking in New England.

Too bad the trip ended prematurely!

Why couldn't you fix that and keep going? Insert tube....patch rim strip/tire with duct tape/energy bar wrapper, etc..
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by vikb View Post
    Why couldn't you fix that and keep going? Insert tube....patch rim strip/tire with duct tape/energy bar wrapper, etc..
    The plan was a 24-hour-overnight with some mountain biking at my friend Tim's tree farm. My girlfriend wanted to go, but couldn't, because she had a volleyball game to coach the next morning.

Well, she found out she was working later in the morning the next day, so she came down with the car and met me, and instead of fixing the flat, I just camped with her and left early to help her unpack the car before she had to leave. She was pretty happy, haha.

If it was down to riding or not riding based on this flat, easy decision to superglue a bit of cut tube on the inside of the tire, duct-tape the rim strip, and roll on. But, it worked out to just fix it later this time.

mtbr member
    Apr 2016
    Quote Originally Posted by JBCslt View Post
    Bolder Bikepacking Framepack
    I love your signature man. Yoga, hike, bike. That's what it's all about, honestly.

mtbr member
    Well, here is Steve, my bikepacking rig. A surly Karate Monkey. He gets fed Gummi Bears before each ride.

Running a Jones H-Bar.
    Stans Arch EX rims on a Shutter Precision 15mm through axle dynamo hub in the front and a Shimano Deore XT 12mmx142 hub in the rear.
    Shifters are Shimano XTR and derailleurs are Shimano XT.
    Brakes are Avid BB7 cable. Rock solid and easily repaired on the trail.
    Busch & Mueller 80lux LED headlight (Works great)

2 water bottle mounts on each fork. Rides very well with the low weight up there. No Wheelies.

The only purchased bag is a Rogue Panda 9" seat bag. No wobble at all. It isn't fully loaded out in this picture.

The frame bag is a DIY one that I threw together.

The handlebar roll bag is also a DIY one that I put together. It holds my tent, sleeping bag and a narrow dry bag if necessary.

Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Here's my old Dean with it's current set up. I use it only for local over-nighters.

mtbr member
    Looks good.
    Help chart the mountains at www.appalachianbiketrails.org

Proper Gnomenclature
    The latest incarnation:

Advocate Hayduke
    Surly ECR
    Surly Straggler
    Salsa Blackborow

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My Surly Ogre. Revelate frame, seat and handlebar harness. Small Block 8 tires. Front rack is the Salsa Minimalist. I have three Anything cages (only one in this pic). Toolkit is in the small Soma Stash bottle on the frame. I think I'll go with a full frame bag at some point, but for now, I am using what I have.

mtbr member
    Advocate Cycles Hayduke 27.5+ titanium hardtail (2015) size large with my bikepacking setup + a DIY stainless steel rear rack I use with micro-panniers to carry a portable photography studio.

Saludos,
    Federico Cabrera
    Their Only Portrait. Portraits & Cycling
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-_fjc7633.jpg  

Cycling in developing countries, making & printing portraits for those families who've NONE. www.theironlyportrait.com

Who is John Galt?

Yeti Joan of ARC

Here's my Yeti ARC, aka Joan of ARC. Did a maiden voyage test ride on the Ozark Trail recently. This was my second trip. The first time I only had the handlebar bag and I used a large dry bag on a FreeLoad rack for everything else. Needless to say, this setup works a lot better. The bike is mostly XTR, with SRAM X.9 shifters and X.0 der. It weights 24 pounds without the bags. All my kit is from Revelate Designs. I have since added 2 feedbags. Hardly notice the extra weight. Good times coming!
    Attached Images Attached Images     
    What, me hurry?

Muskoka

Rocky Mountain Sherpa...

with Porcelain Rocket seat,bar, and frame bags.

The bar roll contains tent, sleep pad, and ground sheet in an OR dry bag, while front pack has odds & ends like helmet light, mini tripod plus whatever I like to access readily from energy bars to toothbrush and cutlery and MIO Sport liquid concentrate.
    The frame bag carries all the bike related items ie spare tube, typical tools, tire & shock pump, some shock cord to hang food in a tree at night, a bit of Muskol in bug season, etc.
    The seat bag has my JetBoil stove/cook kit and my clothes.

Arcteryx backpack contains Sierra Designs Backcountry Quilt, PUR water filter, coffee mug, the food bag (I dehydrate my own meals), my Kindle,and 2 to 3 camera lenses. There is a also a 2 litre water bladder. The left side outside pocket is perfect for bear spray and the right side one for my phone. I carry my Sony a6300 camera in a very small CaseLogic bag secured to the Arcteryx chest strap.

MEC Spark UL1+ tent with Thermarest Neoair Xlite and SD Backcountry Quilt

Rocky Mountain Mug
    The bike empty is 30 lb. Loaded it is 50 lb

Cheers!
    Last edited by BlackCanoeDog; 08-25-2016 at 08:32 AM.
    https://get.google.com/albumarchive/...127?source=pwa

RSD Bikes "The Mayor"
    Rocky Mountain Sherpa Overland

mtbr member
    Nov 2015
    Yeti sb95 on maiden voyage through AZT.

Handlebar Sweetroll: Backcountry Bed 800 3 season sleeping bag (love it!!) and rei quarter dome 2 with poles and ground sheet

Camo bag on handlebars: snacks, spork, sunscreen, .380

Gascan: Headlamp, batteries, iPhone battery, more snacks

Feed bag: 32oz Nalogen

Seat Bag: Jetboil, Nemo sleeping pad, Nano puff jacket, few clothes
    on top of seat bag: Sandals and flask

Hawg Camelbak: 3L water, Freeze fried meals, tools, sawyer mini, pump, tubes, etc...

Not much water on the AZT. Need to find a way to bring more water..

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-image.jpgPost your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-image.jpg

mtbr member
    My latest setup with some borrowed bags (bar and seat bags). Frame bag is for my other bike but fit pretty well.

Bar bag has my nano puff jacket and some other soft goods. On the accessory bar bag I have all my food and smellables. Seat bag has my sleeping bag, sleeping pad, SOL emergency bivvy, and tent (pole and stakes are on the bar bag). Frame pack has my tubes, toiletries, and misc stuff. Gas tank has phone and probably my spare light batteries. Bottle goes in each of the feed bags plus the 1.5l nalgene bottle on the downtube for water.

The food weighs a ton (enough for 3-4 days). I'd like to get rid of some of it but I'm not 100% on the resupply spots. May move some of the food to my frame bag to get weight off the bar but I really wanted all my smellables in one easily detached bag to hang up on a bear line at night.

Last edited by A1an; 08-30-2016 at 06:47 AM.
    Signature

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    Latest incarnation of my Krampus. Been riding single speed, but decided to test out a 1x5 setup for an overnight. Will be my first trip with front squish.

1x5 Bikepacking Krampus with MRP Stage front end by Mike, on Flickr

MaxTheCyclist.com
    Quote Originally Posted by bmike View Post
    Latest incarnation of my Krampus. Been riding single speed, but decided to test out a 1x5 setup for an overnight. Will be my first trip with front squish.

1x5 Bikepacking Krampus with MRP Stage front end by Mike, on Flickr
    Super interested in more info about the 1x5 setup!