Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    May 2011
    I've done just under 50 days of bike touring (on-road) and several hundred days of backpacking. This was my first Bikepacking trip, combining the two other sports into one. I only did around 35 miles on an overnighter, but I had to carry my bike over or through so many downed trees, it felt like double the miles. I thought that carrying so much weight on my back would be bad, but if my bike were heavier from using a frame bag, I would have had a lot of trouble getting it over some of the trees blocking the trail. I also don't think I'll do anything with such aggressive downhills if I can't get behind my seat. I think I'll switch to a rear rack so I can achieve this. the giant seatbag was also a pain to pack and unpack and it would hit the tire it if I didn't understuff it and then use cinch straps to pull it out of the way.

My setup:

Day 2 of my first bikepacking trip: the climb! the top half is all gnarly singletrack. The descent down the other side is a ridiculous signletrack trail on a ridge/spur which hits four or 5 little peaks on the way down. It's really cool seeing where you're going from the top and how it stretches out across the landscape. didn't think to take that picture...
    Last edited by PretendGentleman; 04-17-2013 at 08:55 PM.

Eat, Poop, Pedal.
    Just got my rig put together. Me and a buddy are heading out to do the 140mile Kokopelli Trail this weekend!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-image.jpeg  

2012 Reign.
    2010 Rincon.

i like bikes

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hooverGiant View Post
    Just got my rig put together. Me and a buddy are heading out to do the 140mile Kokopelli Trail this weekend!
    Good luck out there
    Hopefully the weather will be better over there than the front range currently is.

Woody

Cheesiest
    Quote Originally Posted by hooverGiant View Post
    Nice setup! What kind of bag are you using for the toptube?
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

Two Headed Boy
    Quote Originally Posted by PretendGentleman View Post
    I've done just under 50 days of bike touring (on-road) and several hundred days of backpacking. This was my first Bikepacking trip, combining the two other sports into one. I only did around 35 miles on an overnighter, but I had to carry my bike over or through so many downed trees, it felt like double the miles. I thought that carrying so much weight on my back would be bad, but if my bike were heavier from using a frame bag, I would have had a lot of trouble getting it over some of the trees blocking the trail. I also don't think I'll do anything with such aggressive downhills if I can't get behind my seat. I think I'll switch to a rear rack so I can achieve this. the giant seatbag was also a pain to pack and unpack and it would hit the tire it if I didn't understuff it and then use cinch straps to pull it out of the way.

My setup:

Day 2 of my first bikepacking trip: the climb! the top half is all gnarly singletrack. The descent down the other side is a ridiculous signletrack trail on a ridge/spur which hits four or 5 little peaks on the way down. It's really cool seeing where you're going from the top and how it stretches out across the landscape. didn't think to take that picture...
    Ya I would get a rack and top load it, that way you could get behind the seat if needed and wouldn't have to deal with panniers sticking out

Great bike by the way!
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Nice stuff, y'all.

hoover, how'd ya attach the bottle cage(s) to the lower(s)?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    how'd ya attach the bottle cage(s) to the lower(s)?
    Not sure what he is using, but this is what I use, they're quite light, and can attach securely pretty much anywhere. Used them on a couple trips and they work great.
    http://www.twofish.biz/pdf/StainlessCages.pdf

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by She&I View Post
    Nice stuff, y'all.

hoover, how'd ya attach the bottle cage(s) to the lower(s)?
    Hose clamps work with a metal cage.
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member
    they maybe salsa anything cages i know those are popular

troll
    Here's my Troll on its maiden bikepacking voyage. I was pretty happy with my setup, but extremely happy with how well the bike handled the weekend:
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-troll_trail.jpg

My first trip was an overnight in the Daniel Boone National Forest, specifically along the Sheltowee Trace near Cave Run Lake.
    20 miles on day one, and 7 miles on day two. Here's my gear list:

Surly Troll 18", with 2.5" tires (22-25 psi)
    RD Viscacha seat bag
    shelter: Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 rain fly + groundcloth
    cookware + stove (snowpeak giga)
    Patagucci Nanopuff jacket
    rain jacket
    wool socks, underwear
    wool beanie
    sleeping bag liner

RD Tangle frame bag

tent fly poles + stakes
    pump
    spare tube and tire boot
    stan's goop
    assorted Clif bars
    bike lighting

Tools were carried in the container below the frame pack

Sunlite front rack
    Big Agnes 30º bag + thermarest pillow

Osprey Raptor 18
    backpacking french press + coffee grounds
    big agnes sleeping pad
    headlamp
    toiletries
    gloves
    wool shirt
    wallet, iPhone
    food, snacks
    knife

I carried a total of 5L of water on me at all times, 3L in the hydration pack, and 2L on the fork with a jerry-rigged cage system.

mtbr member
    sweet setup brother i have always liked the Troll's

Quote Originally Posted by brokebike View Post
    Here's my Troll on its maiden bikepacking voyage. I was pretty happy with my setup, but extremely happy with how well the bike handled the weekend:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Troll_trail.jpg 
Views:	1736 
Size:	158.3 KB 
ID:	793731

My first trip was an overnight in the Daniel Boone National Forest, specifically along the Sheltowee Trace near Cave Run Lake.
    20 miles on day one, and 7 miles on day two. Here's my gear list:

Surly Troll 18", with 2.5" tires (22-25 psi)
    RD Viscacha seat bag
    shelter: Big Agnes Seedhouse SL2 rain fly + groundcloth
    cookware + stove (snowpeak giga)
    Patagucci Nanopuff jacket
    rain jacket
    wool socks, underwear
    wool beanie
    sleeping bag liner

RD Tangle frame bag

tent fly poles + stakes
    pump
    spare tube and tire boot
    stan's goop
    assorted Clif bars
    bike lighting

Tools were carried in the container below the frame pack

Sunlite front rack
    Big Agnes 30º bag + thermarest pillow

Osprey Raptor 18
    backpacking french press + coffee grounds
    big agnes sleeping pad
    headlamp
    toiletries
    gloves
    wool shirt
    wallet, iPhone
    food, snacks
    knife

I carried a total of 5L of water on me at all times, 3L in the hydration pack, and 2L on the fork with a jerry-rigged cage system.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Here's another Troll.

Handlebar sling/pocket is Revelate; all the framepacks are by Greg Wheelwright of Bolder Bikepacking. No backpack required on this setup, which is a big deal for me - I hate having something on my back while I ride.

Full album from the trip:
    May 2013: French Creek State Park - Julian Bender - Travels and Photos

In the Sling is:
    Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 tent
    HammockGear 20 degree down quilt
    Thermarest Prolite
    Montbell ExLite jacket
    inflatable pillow
    camp towel
    wool cap
    hiking pants
    spare shirt

In the pocket:
    Wallet, keys, etc
    Kindle
    Headlamp
    Camera (Panasonic Powershot G12)
    Garmin ETrex 20 (I somehow lost the holder to keep it on my handlebars...awkward)
    First aid kit
    Trowel and T.P.
    MP3 player
    phone

In the front gas tank:
    Clif bars and trail mix

In the rear gas tank:
    Contact solution, soap, personal hygiene stuff

In the main frame pack, large pocket:
    MSR Pocket Rocket stove, gas can
    Snow Peak 700 ml pot/mug
    Food
    REI Fleet jacket

In the main frame pack, small pocket:
    Tools, maps, cue sheets

Plus a total of 74oz of water in the 3 bottles; on a mild-weather day like this, that's all the capacity I needed. The bottle cages are Two Fish, and I'm still having issues with getting them to stay in place without listing toward the back of the fork and, on singletrack, into the tires.
    Last edited by jbphilly; 05-08-2013 at 05:26 PM.
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ jbphilly: Tent + mat but no sleeping bag?!?

mtbr member
    Aug 2009

Re: Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)

Quote Originally Posted by satanas View Post
    Ditto, wondered about that as it looks like you have a sleeping bag up front? Nice setup, thanks for the writeup/details.

Beautiful location btw, where is it?

Posted w/ Tapatalk via Android

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    PS: Should have said it before: Thanks to Troll owners for posting setups! :-) I'm about to get one so it's handy for me to see who fits what where.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Derp. Forgot that key ingredient somehow...original post edited.

@ridemtn: I took the commuter train out from Philadelphia to Downingtown, PA, then rode about 20 miles up to French Creek State Park, stealth camped there, and then rode back to Malvern, PA to catch the train back to Philly. Probably just around 50 miles of riding all in all, but there were some hills that got my legs working pretty good!
    www.julianbender.net

Pictures of bike trips, hikes, and other travels

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    ^ Thanks for the clarification - I'm impressed everything fitted in the bags shown. :-)

mtbr member
    Here's my El Mariachi kitted out for a couple of nights

And a blog entry showing what's in those bags...

ScotRoutes: Bikepacking Kit List

mtbr member
    My EVO, in RV mode on the "2012 CFITT" race.

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-blogger-image-288982491.jpg

mtbr member
    May 2013
    My bikepacking setup is finally complete. This is the setup for my next 2-month Kyrgyzstan trip.
    The trip is going to be a offroad most of the time, including a lot of unrideable stuff. My intension is to carry a setup as light as possible. I need a hobo stove , and a lot of space to carry food for many days on that trip though. I also need a big sleeping bag, since temperatures at nights can be below 0 degree Celsius.

In the front are my jacket, the sleeping pad and the tarptent. They are mounted on my front bar rack.
    On top, there is a light waterproof bag, originally made as a seatbag. It's this one.

On the frame is my waterbottle, the hobo stove, a framebag for my tools, and a tennis ball container. The container will carry my precooked food for the day. It might also carry additional water on the end of the day, since I always consume a lot over the night. On the rear rack, there is a light backpack, which I am going to carry on my back when descending on trails. Depending on the steepness, I will move the stuff from the front to the rear rack.

This is my front rack:

It weights about 250gram, is made some brake levers, aluminium and pvc pipes, fiberglass and resin. The joints of all pipes are filled with resin, to prevent the screws from getting loose.

I am not sure about the weight of the bike and the gear yet, but the combined weight it will be definitely under 20kg.

weirdo
    Nice job on that rack, Estate. Does it have a leg or something to hold it up? Doesn`t seem to me like the brake lever clamps by themselves would resist much torque with a load, but I might be wrong.

I like your backpack idea, too
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Bog in middle of Ireland,

Co. Offaly, Ireland.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by rodar y rodar View Post
    Nice job on that rack, Estate. Does it have a leg or something to hold it up? Doesn`t seem to me like the brake lever clamps by themselves would resist much torque with a load, but I might be wrong.
    Thx. This is actually a valid concern. I have no doubt that it would resist the torque. I can put my whole body weight on the rack. However on long terms, it might fail because of the changing stress. I am not that concerned though, because the weight on the front is very low. (below 4lbs)

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    Qs for estate: What sort of bike and fork/travel is that? 26", yes?

And also, it looks to me as though the front bag arrangement might obscure vision of the front wheel - I find this disconcerting when trying to avoid holes or similar at low speed, or on rough descents.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Qs for estate: What sort of bike and fork/travel is that? 26", yes?
    Manitou Black 85-120mm fork. The frame is a Chakha Pele frame which is not produced anymore. The frameshifting mounts and the lower bottlecage holders are brazed to the frame.
    And also, it looks to me as though the front bag arrangement might obscure vision of the front wheel - I find this disconcerting when trying to avoid holes or similar at low speed, or on rough descents.
    It does, and in fact barely rideable decents are my favourite. However, I don't ever look at my front wheel, because it would be to late anyway to take action. Also, depending on the trail and load, I will have my backpack on my back and the front luggage on the rear rack.

Page 15 of 25 FirstFirst ... 5 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 ... LastLast