Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    What types of knives do you guys carry?
    Mountain bikers who don't road ride have no legs...
    Road riders who don't mountain bike have no soul...

mtbr member
    I have a spyderco temperance amazing knife now discontinued and a leatherman charge Ti.

EDIT: They do make a spyderco temperance 2 though Spyderco Temperance 2

weirdo
    Spyderco Honeybee for me. Sixteen grams of ravaging, mouse scaring genuine Chinese stainless steel. About 10 bucks from Amazon.
    Stock photo:
    Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-5278zz.jpg
    Recalculating....

troll
    I usually carry two folding knives, an older Gerber Gator (for batoning and general abuse), and my trusty Opinel #6 for food and smaller general purpose use.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    I notice a lot of you do not use panniers and instead choose a good sized seat bag for gear at the rear of the bike. Is this mostly to reduce weight? I understand the rack is some weight... What say you?

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Leatherman Skeletool. Best knife IMO. I've used it for all sorts of stuff. Including pulling about 50 porcupine needles out of my dogs nose...

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
    I notice a lot of you do not use panniers and instead choose a good sized seat bag for gear at the rear of the bike. Is this mostly to reduce weight? I understand the rack is some weight... What say you?
    I am a rack person myself, but just because I got a good deal on an Old Man Mountain rack. Seatbags are indeed lighter and I think folks like that it sits above the wheel, keeping the weight in line with the rest of the bike. For people with FS bikes, it is also harder to find compatible racks. Lastly, I will say that strapping the bag to your seatpost and rails is a lot easier for attaching/detaching than doing the same for a rack. I don't have a dedicated bikepacking rig, so this is the biggest inconvenience to me as far as having a rack. But I love my OMM Cold Springs. A very solid piece of equipment.

I have panniers but try to strap things directly to the top of the rack instead for the same stability reasons. But for recreational use (I'm not racing) either arrangement works fine.

Two Headed Boy
    I use panniers every day on my commuter, but for bikepacking I never use them. They are low and stick out, so they can have a clearance issue on most trails. I find a nice frame pack, stuff strapped to the handle bars, and a bit under the seat works just fine for me
    Last edited by Trower; 03-20-2013 at 06:45 PM.
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by sasquatch rides a SS View Post
    Gerber Ripstop w/serated edge

troll
    I'm just now getting into trail riding and specifically to do some bikepacking, but I'm approaching it from years of bike touring. I've already got different types of panniers and racks that would work fine on my trail bike (Troll), but from my somewhat limited experience so far with trail riding, I wouldn't want low-hanging bags sticking out from the sides of my front or back wheels due to clearance alone... on the trail, there are so many opportunities for a stump, root or rock to catch those sorts of things, and cause damage to your gear or yourself... that's why I invested in a full bikepacking rig so I can keep everything light and in-line with the bike as much as possible.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I second what Brokebike said. And I would add that in my experience panniers can bounce off even on moderate singletrack. I've not had a problem with seat and handlebar bags.

mtbr member
    I don't do much bikepacking, but for longer bike rides or adventure rides I like to carry my hiking/outdoors knife. I went on the cheap and bought a Remington FAST fixed blade knife. It has really good reviews and I like it a lot, it stays sharp and handles everything from prepping food to splitting firewood. I didn't like the stock handle, so I took it off and wrapped the knife in paracord and gave it a lanyard. I recently attached a flint/magnesium fire starter to the sheath (with a broccoli rubber band until I find a better solution lol) and filed an area on the spine of the knife to strike the flint. This is my first serious knife. I carry a Kershaw folder as an EDC, but that won't cut it for some of the hikes I've been getting into lately.

Flint striking area. I got this tip from a review of this knife on YouTube. Works better than the supplied jigsaw blade thing that came with the magnesium block.

Good for breaking stuff (when needed)

It's pretty awful looking, but when hiking I wear it on my belt loop and in my pant pocket too so I won't lose anything.

I also really like this sharpener. It seems to do very well so far and sharpens the serrations nicely, too.

I've got about a year's worth of light use with this combo and it hasn't let me down yet. I got the knife for $16 and the starter for $1 and had the paracord and sharpener already, so it's a pretty cheap setup.

Two Headed Boy
    ^nice work man! That handle is wrapped very, very well and looks awesome!
    tSETFREEBYLOVEt

mtbr member
    Thank you! I was surprised that more bikepackers don't use survival-type knives. I guess they're probably a bit overkill, though. For my fishing trips where I have a small frame bag with tackle and strap my fishing pole to my toptube I usually bring my Leatherman multi tool. For something like fishing it's nice to have more than just a knife.

mtbr member

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)

Yep I use my leatherman for pliers almost as much as I use it for a knife.

mtbr member

On another note got my jones loop bar today I don't see to many people post pics of the silver aluminum model. I wanted something different it is not at all what I expected but still like itPost your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363929521.429283.jpg

And here is my current bike setup. Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1363929590.075016.jpg

Will post conversion soon.

mtbr member
    Mar 2013
    Thanks for all the replies. It does make since to keep your gear inline with your bike. I'll have to experiment with my gear.

mtbr member

Here is my completed conversionPost your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-imageuploadedbytapatalk1364345642.659813.jpg

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    My current untested setup. Trial run is this weekend. 10 miles of singletrack to the campground and if all goes as planned the next day will be 30+ miles back home. Should be a great equipment test for us. Current bike is a Trek Fuel EX8. I did end up moving my tent hammock into the sleeping bag stuff sack with the sleeping bag instead of on top of it.

mtbr member

I've got two bikepacking rigs in the garage this year. The Surly Krampus above and a Surly Pugsley.

Both run Porcelain Rocket bags. I've got OMM racks and Ortlieb panniers for the Pugsley as well should I need to haul some crazy load.

I debated just building 29+ Krampus wheels for the Pugs, but I had a 29er MTB I wasn't in love with so I just moved the parts over to the Krampus frame.

So far the Krampus has proven itself to be a good bikepacking ride. It will see the majority of my bike camping missions this year. Hopefully it will continue to impress...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

Looking forward to more bike packing centric reviews of the krampus.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Unchewable View Post
    Looking forward to more bike packing centric reviews of the krampus.
    That's most of what my Krampus riding will be. I will do some straight up MTBing, but I have a dedicated FS bike for that.

Some quick observations so far:

- wide tires are good for absorbing small hits
    - they meet their limit at higher speeds and/or larger obstacles [this is a rigid bike!]
    - 3" tires on Flows are fine, but at higher speeds on gravel there was some vagueness - not a problem, but I can see how Rabbit Hole rims would be nice
    - 3" tires provide great traction and felt very stable/secure at high speed on gravel/dirt
    - Krampus steering geo is very nice for slow and high speed riding....not nervous...made for relaxed riding
    - ride position feels very balanced when tackling techy spots...I feel like I am in the bike vs. sitting on top of those huge wheels
    - bike climbs well given weight + gear...responds well to pedalling input for me
    - fork wasn't overly stiff
    - frame comfort was good, but I can't differentiate what is high volume tires vs. steel frame/fork
    - bike carries well for fording creeks [hooked saddle on my shoulder]
    - I'm running IGH so I like horizontal dropouts

My only criticism is the tiny main frame triangle limits frame bag space. My Pugsley takes a much bigger frame bag and I have never injured my "boys" in years of riding the Pugs. So I don't need a super low TT.

I have no plans to run skinny 29er rubber on the Krampus. I'll probably get some Rabbit Hole rims later this year. I can see they'd be nice, but the Flows are working fine so I am not going to rush to make a change.

Last year I rode a lightweight XC oriented 29er HT with light tires. I've also bikepacking with the Pugs. The Krampus feels like their love child....most of the best of both bikes.

Having said all this we are at the early stages yet. I'll see how I feel about the big K at the end of the summer and then the start of next year once the new bike glow is gone...
    Safe riding,

Vik
    www.vikapproved.com

mtbr member

fat bikepacking rig on the first Spring S24O of 2013

mtbr member
    @Vik
    That Krampus looks awesome, looking forward to reading your thoughts on it.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009

Shot from my bikepacking trip this weekend along the Big Bend WMA, this photo was specifically taken at the Tide Swamp Tract.

'13 Carve Expert, some mods, lots of camping equipment

Page 14 of 23 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 ... LastLast