Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast
    Yukon Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by hunter006 View Post
    I looked in to the Jones bars too. It was a tough call between those and butterfly bars; for snow, I'd rather have the Jones bars too.

I've found that this type of setup makes me sit more on my sit bones; did you do anything to alleviate butt soreness on this rig? (I change my technique a little to stand up off the pedals more but other than that haven't found a seat I like)
    Interestingly i have not changed much up on the BG initial build other then handlebar and rear brake and must say the seat that came with the bike is very comfortable. I have been riding since first week of November and have yet to have any tingling or numbness due to seat/bar position. Very happy with set-up to date

2013 Salsa BearGrease
    2010 Surly Cross Chek
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight (regular tweaks)

mtbr member
    That setup looks so nice Derek (the colors especially).
    You can find me in the woods -- playing in the dirt and mud -- on my 2013 Trek Mamba -- or in my 1984 Chevrolet K10.

lai
    mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    After first testride. My touring bike for easy trails and forest roads. Frame Retro marin MTB. Fork from surly troll. 8-speed drivetrain. A budget build from parts found in garage.
    Name:  Valokuva-HHBBYAW8-D.jpg
Views: 4361
Size:  61.6 KB

mtbr member
    If you are having discomfort i would highly recomend the adamo ism seats their mountain specific model is the peak i will never go back to a different saddle Adamo Peak | Ideal Saddle Modification
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek.Endress View Post
    Interestingly i have not changed much up on the BG initial build other then handlebar and rear brake and must say the seat that came with the bike is very comfortable. I have been riding since first week of November and have yet to have any tingling or numbness due to seat/bar position. Very happy with set-up to date

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    very cool bike and setup Derek. last time we saw you was '99 when we came up and did the Atlin lake trip. good luck and looking forward to seeing pics of the trip.

henric

Yukon Rider
    Quote Originally Posted by Snipe View Post
    very cool bike and setup Derek. last time we saw you was '99 when we came up and did the Atlin lake trip. good luck and looking forward to seeing pics of the trip.

henric
    Thanks Henric! Had to think it thru as to who you were, not too much though Good to hear from you and will post pics as they come. Weather has taken a dive up here so may have to do something a little different now, oh well!!

2013 Salsa BearGrease
    2010 Surly Cross Chek
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight (regular tweaks)

mtbr member
    May 2011

Few of the bikes with homemade gear on our TNGA attempt this past weekend.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    very nice!

using the MT1800 as the guinea pig for my touring/bikepacking rigs, with my home made lashing straps holding the compression bag (which has my tent, sleep bag, sleep pad, stakes, rope, poles); and redid the pannier bags' interior layouts, I was able to get 2 days worth of clothes, 2x 2 quart canteens, 1 canteen stove and canteen cup, a couple ramen noodle packages, some jerky, a can of soup, and for the snacks, I put granola bars into the first aid kit pouch behind the seat, along with lighter and waterproof matches in a watertight container, as well as the fuel tabs for the canteen stove; I believe I do not need much anything else right now for 2-3 days of riding/camping..... I plan on getting a water bottle and maybe lash two nalgene bottle carriers if I can find them to the fork blades, or rig up a way to use the MOLLE nalgene bottle carriers that I can get locally...

my home made lashing straps; material was free from a previous sewing project lol

for touring/getting to hotel/friends houses/overnighters, I would have no food and less clothes, and no tent set up; a much lighter set up with less stuff to worry about;

mtbr member
    Knolly Endorphin with Porcelain Rocket pack setup. Worked beautifully last year, and can't wait to get out there again this summer.

Last edited by Couloirman; 02-14-2013 at 06:30 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012

All packed up

and no place warm enough to go. One more month!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-p2130008.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Can't wait either.

mtbr member

Monocog

Slowly getting my rig ready for summer. I started from scratch a little over a month ago.

Greg at Bolder Bikepacking is making me a frame pack right now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-imag0666.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-imag0665.jpg  

Yoga - hike - bike
    GA to ME '12

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    How I rolled last weekend for a 2 day trip, tent, fly, summer bag, fleece blanket, clothes, water filter, cook kit, and one bottle on the bike. Food, 100oz of water, snacks, phone/wallet/keys/tools, and a rain jacket in a Camelbak Hawg NV

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Nice rig, Owlish!

Here is mine... going stir crazy right now.

Last edited by LostBoyScout; 03-02-2013 at 07:57 PM.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostboyscout | www.beerscout.ca
    Knolly Chilcotin | Surly Long Haul Trucker

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    waiting on a bracket for the old schwinn rack...(if I don't get it soon enough, I might break down and get one of those seat post clamps with rack eyelets for my Topeak rack...)
    here is the set up I currently am using as a day-rider.... on an 80s Huffy.

some army bag up front; it holds a blanket, a canteen cup, some food, compact grill( a meatloaf pan with charcoal bricks and a small grill top), compact rain coat, and then two 2 qt canteens on the frame.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Is that an Ogre, LostBoyScout? Excellent bike. That was my touring cycle of choice last summer. I loved how solid it always felt.
    I'm in Illinois, and we're supposed to get 6-10 inches of wintery mix tonight.
    "Wintery mix" indeed.
    That flippin' groundhog lied.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Camo — did you paint that bike desert storm tan? And you're wearing an army helmet? Probably scaring the crap out of the locals somewhere!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlish View Post
    Camo — did you paint that bike desert storm tan? And you're wearing an army helmet? Probably scaring the crap out of the locals somewhere!
    no........ the paint is technically called " Satin Nutmeg Brown", but it is a close match to the Coyote Tan paint used on newer vehicles, which is a darker shade than the khaki sand tan used on desert storm vehicles... and the helmet is not an army helmet, it's a replica that has a sticker inside it saying it's rated for SNELL, and from what I could find out, it's basically a BMX helmet that just happens to be shaped like an army helmet, popular with airsofters....it will get replaced with something more like a Pro-Tec or Giro helmet.. and I got a different rack on it; so pretty soon I will be camping and seeing how this work
    the large panniers holds my clothes and food, the front bag holds a light rain jacket and small foods and canteen stove and fuel, the smaller rack bags holds misc things

close up of the rear area; I realize it looks like the stuff will impact the brakes, but I made sure it doesn't, and so far it hasn't put any stress on the brake caliper arms.

the tool/goggle bag, it holds my army goggles, and tools, bandana, and a couple rags

the top front of the rack showing weight limit and two center screws holding the mount strut which is not of high quality..it'll get replaced by something much more sturdier

mtbr member

'06 Monocog

Bolder Bikepacking Framepack
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-imag0691.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-imag0695.jpg  

Yoga - hike - bike
    GA to ME '12

mtbr member
    May 2011

Backpacking the Womble in the Ouachita Mtns.

These setups worked well for a two night trip. Definitely investing in a smaller sleeping bag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-image.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-image.jpg  

Cheesiest
    Damn...those look like arctic bags
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    From last weekends overnighter, decided to bring the singlespeed

mtbr member
    where was this taken? and did you have any problems with the topeak beam rack I am gonna do my first run with mine soon.

Trail Rider
    Jun 2009
    The Topeak rack stays solid, I've used it a dozen times now and have not had a problem with it slipping or spinning. It comes with rubber grommets to match your seatpost size and just clamp the ever living piss outa the q/r and it won't move. I use it on two different bikes with two different diameter seatposts and it stays put.

That being said, its heavy as all hell. Still, I like it.

Goodluck with yours, I recommend them if you don't want to go with a full rack or seatbag!

Edit: Forgot... photo was taken in Apalachicola National Forest.

mtbr member
    Thanks man good to hear.

Quote Originally Posted by SuPrBuGmAn View Post
    The Topeak rack stays solid, I've used it a dozen times now and have not had a problem with it slipping or spinning. It comes with rubber grommets to match your seatpost size and just clamp the ever living piss outa the q/r and it won't move. I use it on two different bikes with two different diameter seatposts and it stays put.

That being said, its heavy as all hell. Still, I like it.

Goodluck with yours, I recommend them if you don't want to go with a full rack or seatbag!

Edit: Forgot... photo was taken in Apalachicola National Forest.

Page 13 of 25 FirstFirst ... 3 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 23 ... LastLast