Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast
    Just Ride!
    Quote Originally Posted by richwolf View Post
    On another topic I found an inexpensive cell phone mount at bike Nashbar that looks pretty good. It will mount to your stem.
    Delta Smart Phone Caddy 2
    I like the looks and design of this mount! I see that you run a suspension fork, but wonder if I should have concerns about vibration and using something like this on a rigid?

mtbr member
    i see some old shimano thumbies ... i have an 'as new' set sitting in a box in my garage waiting for a project
    "old enough to know better. too old to care."

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by hoogie View Post
    i see some old shimano thumbies ... i have an 'as new' set sitting in a box in my garage waiting for a project
    On the mounts I have on my handlebars, both have held up well without anything falling off even on rough single-track or bombing fire-roads. Notice that I use a little piece of shock cord wrapped around the phone or gps, to make sure they don't get bounced off. The Fenix light mount has been good so far too. Mountguys have a plethora of mounts for GPS units, cell phones and smart phones. Here is a link to their web site: Garmin GPS, XM, Sirius, Magellan GPS, Lowrance GPS, TomTom GPS, MIO GPS & RAM GPS Mount Authorized Dealer at MountGuys.com

Ya the ancient left shifter thumbie came off the old bike cause I couldn't get it to shift properly with the indexed SLX shifter. I would like to go with Paul Thumbies but there are too many other black holes to dump money into!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    no pics to post yet; but I have a project frame that is for bikepacking; it currently has this collection of cheap USGI military surplus bags on it which works!
    2x MOLLE Sustainment Pouches; as panniers
    1x USGI 3-day pack/buttpack up front on handlebars
    2x 2 qt canteens
    2x USGI MOLLE Medic Pocket pouches to hold my First Aid kit
    I am planning to put a tool bag somewhere on it, or sew up a frame bag to hold bike tools and parts
    EDIT!

OK layout?
    panniers holds a complete outfit each; (pants, socks, shirt, light jacket, underwear)
    front bag holds a winter parka or light sleeping bag
    first aid kit in one medic pouch on L side, gloves and scarf and wool cap in other medic pouch on R side on handlebar rear;
    1 qt canteen with canteen stove and cup in middle
    2 2qt canteens on the front bag
    tent, stakes, rope, small tools in the green bag's main compartment on top of rack
    tent poles are lashed to the rack
    food in the 4 small pockets of green bag

this is mostly for a 2-3, maybe 4 days of riding..I just acquired a compression sack thing from the surplus store for the sleeping bag and jacket, will see how I can attach it to my BMX handlebars or Bull Moose handlebars
    Last edited by CamoDeafie; 01-05-2013 at 01:10 PM.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by CamoDeafie View Post
    OK layout?
    Dude, you`re gonna need the cables back on there before you do anything else
    But I`m happy to see a saddle appeared after that first pic! What`s the bike and do you have any pictures of it unloaded? It looks cool. Thumbs up for your thumbies!

Okay, here are some comments on what you probably really wanted to know when you posted. Offhand, I`m guessing what you have there will work as long as nothing falls off or gets caught in your spokes (be sure to keep all those straps tied up somehow), but you could get way lighter for very little money. Those green military canteens have got to weigh a ton- recycled Gatorade bottles will save you a number of grams (maybe even ounces), will fit in your bottle basket, and you can easily see how much is in them without having to take them out and shake or uncap.

The 2 qt canteens are flexible plastic? I`m sure they give you more capacity for their weight as the hard ones do, and they`ll squeeze down a lot when empty. Good to use for refilling smaller and more accessible bottles. But you might find yourself very front-heavy like that- can you swap places with something lighter that`s currently in the back?

> panniers holds a complete outfit each; (pants, socks, shirt, light jacket, underwear)<
    Does that mean you`re carrying an extra two of all that stuff? If so, that`s a lot of clothes! I`m a pretty heavy packer compared to most of the guys here, but even I don`t carry clothes just to change. Don`t skip out on what you need to keep warm, but try to get over the idea of changing for the 2-3 day trips, probably even for the 4 days.

Is the compresion bag you just acquired what`s on your bars now, or will you be replacing the current front bag with the compresion one? Honestly, all those bags look pretty heavy, hopefully the new one is lighter material? If you hunt around thrift shops, you can probably find lightweight nylon knapsacks for a couple bucks each- not as durable as what you have there, but probably durable enough.

Have fun
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    they're all lightweight materials; the clothes thing was just to see how much the panniers can hold technically the panniers are meant to hold 2x MRE packs each... but yes like I said, for a few days of camping; the compression stuff sack will replace the camo bag up front, and the water, well I might move them around, maybe eliminate them, I am not sure yet...
    here is the bike with just the panniers; the panniers are awesome for shopping; and Im a big dude, so the weight isn't that bad so far (coasted around with the weight, it aint bad)

I might replace the BMX handlebar with a Bull Moose bar or the other handle bar from the Lee World, I'm not sure yet...technically this frame is my commuter frame, and the Huffy Scout is the bikepacking one, but its awaiting new headset replacement and other cables, and paint and wheels, so for now the Cycle Pro is the main one.
    yes the 2 qt canteens are collapsible plastics; they don't weight as much when I load them up and put them on my belt rig...; so I am thinking to put them on the frame, maybe on the front of the rear frame, if I can find the MOLLE straps or rig up something to hold them, they;re held by metal belt keepers onto the camo bag; the panniers have no straps on the back except the mounting stuff to the rack, so there's nothing to hit the spokes underwear and socks are the main thing I will have, as well as just one pants and maybe one shirt, in case of mud otherwise, the panniers will have most of my food and water.

EDIT: I am also considering replacing the 2 man Stansport A frame tent(yes even my tent is a vintage tent LOL ) with a tarp-tent sort of thing and ground cover if it means making it much lighter and pack smaller.... Oregon does have the tendency to have moisture on the ground and on everything though, so we shall see..might get an USGI jungle hammock and a tarp....but have to see how light the hammock things are...
    Last edited by CamoDeafie; 01-05-2013 at 04:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    got a $30 Schwinn Frontier Sport; 1995-1999 I think? had broken spokes in rear wheel, flat tires on both wheels, so I decided to swap the wheels out and put the Arayas from the Cycle Pro Oswego frame on it, as well as the Topeak Rack on it..here is my current bike-packing rig, redone so that the pannier bags will hold food and less clothing, and I have 3 qts of water on the rear instead of on the front handlebars; this should help balance out the weight some..compression stuff sack is HUGE....I mean, really HUGE.... so on a whim, I decided to put a sleep pad, and sleep bag into the tent's interior, and rolled it up and put it inside the stuff sack...and put it on the top of the rear rack, it doesn't weight much, and I'm not sure how the handling will feel though, but we shall see, on the handlebars; I have a small bag for either food or rain coat, and a first aid kit, and a small pouch holding gloves and scarf

Genius
    ok. So whats the weight on that thing? Looks really heavy. I usually shoot for 40-45 pound including water.
    "I think im gonna go to walmart and look at the mountain bikes and see if i can salvage the rear frame."- Nick_Knipp 3/21/12

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by 6bobby9 View Post
    ok. So whats the weight on that thing? Looks really heavy. I usually shoot for 40-45 pound including water.
    I know it looks heavy; but the largest item, the tent/sleep sack weights 8 pounds, then the side panniers, I haven't weighted since I haven't loaded it with food yet, though right now they only hold bout 5 pounds each of clothes.. (in the pic, they're stuffed with more clothes than needed; just to show how much load they can take) and the water isn't bad when its 3-4 quarts depending on if I get another MOLLE 1 qt canteen cover from a surplus shop for the empty spot; yes, that is 128 OZ of water lol. the front bag that's not shown on the newer bike, holds just a raincoat, nothing else...so its much lighter than it looks...and since I am a big dude, it's not a problem for me..... so rough estimate; if I put food in there and fill the water; i'm looking at around 35-40 pounds not including the frame itself?

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I know it looks heavy; but the largest item, the tent/sleep sack weights 8 pounds, then the side panniers, I haven't weighted since I haven't loaded it with food yet, though right now they only hold bout 5 pounds each of clothes.. (in the pic, they're stuffed with more clothes than needed; just to show how much load they can take) and the water isn't bad when its 3-4 quarts depending on if I get another MOLLE 1 qt canteen cover from a surplus shop for the empty spot; yes, that is 128 OZ of water lol. the front bag that's not shown on the newer bike, holds just a raincoat, nothing else...so its much lighter than it looks...and since I am a big dude, it's not a problem for me..... so rough estimate; if I put food in there and fill the water; i'm looking at around 35-40 pounds not including the frame itself?
    My base kit is chubby at ~18 pounds without food or water. Tent, layers, bag, air core sleep pad, empty hydro bladders, lights, and all tools and spares and batteries along with GPs, camera, phone, SPOT.

weirdo
    Comming right along, Camo
    I think your Oswego was prettier than the Schwinn (don`t tell MY Schwinn I said that, please!), but use whichever rides best. And whichever you choose, it might be a good idea to have somebody with some experience check out your wheels ahead of time. Being "a big dude" with a big load, it can`t hurt.

When will you be able to hit the road with it? I see you`re in the Wilamette Valley- planning to camp in the Cascades when they thaw out? Up and down the valley? Other? And what sort of terrain? I regret suggesting you move your weight rearward before even asking about that- if you`re going to be on decent roads, front weighted will probably give you better handling, but it can really suck on soft surfaces or if you have to lift the front wheel over rocks/roots.

Why the "lol" over your 128 oz of water? That might be too little, too much, or a reasonable starting point, depending on your route and personal useage.

You really like those green canteens, eh? is that what MOLLE is? I don`t know the term.

2 x 5 lb of clothes is just your "stuffing" to check capacity?

I see bungie cords holding your big bag on the rack. My personal preference is for clothes line with a truckers hitch because it`s more versatile, less likely to break, tightens more, and saves a little bit of weight. Parachute cord would be the GI Joe equivalent, I guess. Just a thought.

Your tent, pad, and bag are all rolled up together. Good idea. Did you leave out all the individual bags for those things? Some times people will back a bag in a bag in a bag, which just adds weight and doesn`t serve any purpose at all.

No mention of a stove or your food. Will you be going no-cook? Buying along the way? Just curious.

I hadn`t noticed the edit you put on about your tent. The tarp or hammock options you mentioned will probably lighen you up quite a bit. Depending on the tent, of course.
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    ah; no, I got the panniers to hold like 10something pounds of clothes each, but being realistic, for an overnighter; I'm looking at 5 pounds each and fill the space with food and such...MOLLE is the terminology for what these military bags on the rack are meant for; basically it is the US Military abbreviation for "Modular Lightweight Load carrying Equipment"; and the modular part is what makes the stuff awesome for mounting to racks and misc items... I left out the individual bags that used to hold a sleeping bag, tent poles, tent stakes, tent, and consolidated them all in the USGI Compression stuff sack; its one part of the US Army's Modular Sleep System Carrier, which I don't have all the parts to, but at least this bag is the more useful part of the system.. as for cooking; I have a canteen stove with the canteen cup in the 1 qt carrier, and yes I love these canteens; I have something like 13 of them in my collection with their gear set ups (I collect military equipment and uniforms) as for routes; probably going to start doing Hwy 20 West bound to Monmouth, more of a road touring until I get used to the long distances (20-25 miles one way) and then go down to Suislaw National Forest on highway 20 past Philomath, or stop at my friend's family forest property for camping, but when the weather warms up, I am most likely going to do road touring first until I feel more confident on the longer distances I would love to camp/pack up on the East side of the valley; through Sweet Home, although it is one long long long uphill climb, and I am afraid I would only be going 2-3 mph haha; as for the "lol" about the 128 oz of water, I've always packed more water than needed, simply because I was taught early on that one could never have too much water no matter the distance bungee cords are holding the big bag for now, until I rig up a system where I can quickly disconnect from the rack, maybe a hitch, maybe a couple carabiners, not sure yet.. mostly the terrain I am expecting would be the highways and possibly logging roads, depending on the location, but yes I am not expecting to do much technical trails yet...and yeah, the cyclepro is a better looking bicycle, its jsut not finished yet, so this Schwinn will do until I finish the Cycle Pro and the Huffy ATB (the Huffy is going to be decked out in military theme colors and ammo can panniers , and is going to be strictly road-touring, no offroading unless I feel the frame can handle the weight of the panniers being beat around)

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    ah; no, I got the panniers to hold like 10something pounds of clothes each, but being realistic, for an overnighter; I'm looking at 5 pounds each and fill the space with food and such...MOLLE is the terminology for what these military bags on the rack are meant for; basically it is the US Military abbreviation for "Modular Lightweight Load carrying Equipment"; and the modular part is what makes the stuff awesome for mounting to racks and misc items... I left out the individual bags that used to hold a sleeping bag, tent poles, tent stakes, tent, and consolidated them all in the USGI Compression stuff sack; its one part of the US Army's Modular Sleep System Carrier, which I don't have all the parts to, but at least this bag is the more useful part of the system.. as for cooking; I have a canteen stove with the canteen cup in the 1 qt carrier, and yes I love these canteens; I have something like 13 of them in my collection with their gear set ups (I collect military equipment and uniforms) as for routes; probably going to start doing Hwy 20 West bound to Monmouth, more of a road touring until I get used to the long distances (20-25 miles one way) and then go down to Suislaw National Forest on highway 20 past Philomath, or stop at my friend's family forest property for camping, but when the weather warms up, I am most likely going to do road touring first until I feel more confident on the longer distances I would love to camp/pack up on the East side of the valley; through Sweet Home, although it is one long long long uphill climb, and I am afraid I would only be going 2-3 mph haha; as for the "lol" about the 128 oz of water, I've always packed more water than needed, simply because I was taught early on that one could never have too much water no matter the distance bungee cords are holding the big bag for now, until I rig up a system where I can quickly disconnect from the rack, maybe a hitch, maybe a couple carabiners, not sure yet.. mostly the terrain I am expecting would be the highways and possibly logging roads, depending on the location, but yes I am not expecting to do much technical trails yet...and yeah, the cyclepro is a better looking bicycle, its jsut not finished yet, so this Schwinn will do until I finish the Cycle Pro and the Huffy ATB (the Huffy is going to be decked out in military theme colors and ammo can panniers , and is going to be strictly road-touring, no offroading unless I feel the frame can handle the weight of the panniers being beat around)

"Punch you asian"

weirdo
    > "Modular Lightweight Load carrying Equipment" <
    Okay. When I was in, I think they called it LBE (Load bearing equipment)

> I have a canteen stove with the canteen cup in the 1 qt carrier, <
    Does that work with solid fuel heat tabs? I`ve never tried those.

> yes I love these canteens; I have something like 13 of them in my collection with their gear set ups (I collect military equipment and uniforms) <
    Yikes! Well, I`m glad you aren`t toting canvas shelter halves and those giant steel wedge stakes!

> I am most likely going to do road touring first until I feel more confident on the longer distances <
    Cool. You might want to think about slick or slick-ish tires. They roll a lot easier than knobbies over roads (even smooth unpaved roads).

> (the Huffy is going to be decked out in military theme colors and ammo can panniers <
    WHOOHOO! I`ll pass on the camo, but certainly understand
    Recalculating....

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by the-one1 View Post
    "Punch you asian"
    huh? I'm lost?

lol; no way in hell am I going to carry canvas shelter halves, I had a hard enough time just bringing one between a car and a camp site.....

as for the camo; well, the military themed bike will be painted in one shade of color; instead of camo paint, although I see that there are a few bikes offered in camo or olive...so to avoid "following the crowd"; I am going to be painting it in a shade of either brown or green tinted dark gray, we'll see when I acquire the paints and the parts needed.

and yeah, the MOLLE stuff has been around for at least 10 years, before that, it was the LBE that you speak of, and only one item on my current rig is from that era; the 2-qt canteen cover..conveniently mounted on the front struts of the rack

I am looking into road tires at the moment, the knobbies were what came on the wheels; but yeah I understand the need for road oriented tires

Yukon Rider

Bear weighed, packed and ready for 1st solo adventure!

Riding 280k, solo from Carmacks, Yukon back to my home in Whitehorse, Yukon. I will follow the Yukon Quest trail which has a small window from beginning of February to mid February. 26 dog teams registered this year to date and snowmobile support will pack this section heading on to Fairbanks, AK. I will attempt to ride this in 2-3 days depending on weather and trail conditions. I did the 160k section last year starting from Braeburn to Whitehorse in 2 days, yet it typically gets done in one. My Muk3 was carrying too much gear, upgraded to my new Salsa BearGrease which is tuned into a lighter beast as I get better at packing. I love this bike for its weight, nimbleness, and fun meter factor when out riding

I will take pictures while out on the trail and hopefully blog after the trip as this section is deemed one of the tougher sections of the 1000+ miles of the YQ. I have a detailed excel spreadsheet someone designed for bike packing I found on the web if anyone is interested in weights and distribution.

Scott at Porcelain Rocket did an amazing job on my bags. The only thing I wished was a bit bigger on the BG is the frame bag as I am riding a small frame!

Check out Yukon Quest Trail for details on trail and even a 3-D Fly over which does not work with Firefox; Safari does though
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-dsc_0007.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-dsc_0009.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-dsc_0011.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-dsc_0019.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-screen-shot-2013-01-13-12.48.59-pm.jpg  

2013 Salsa BearGrease
    2010 Surly Cross Chek
    2008 Santa Cruz Superlight (regular tweaks)

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek.Endress View Post
    What handlebar is that? How do you like it?

Cheesiest
    Sweet ride! I like the analytical approach to the breakdown. Any advantage to having the ergon grips with the "wings" forward.
    "Paved roads...just another example of needless government spending"—paraphrased from rhino_adv

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    That is so cool! I am envious.

I've been running my Ergon grips that way, too. Seems to ease hand cramps.

Yukon Rider
    Interesting as I ran them the other way on my Muk3. Finding that I have more support for the palms resting and the way the wings fit across under my knuckles. To date have had absolutely no tingling fingers, numbing out or sore wrists. Was in a fun race yesterday and saw a number of folks running standard bars and normal bar-ends shaking out their hands after every 20-25minutes and knew exactly what was going on.

As for the bar, this is a Jeff Jones H-LOOP Bar. He does alum or Ti. I ordered direct from Oregon where he lives and bought his alum for 120$ + minimal shipping. Go to his site to read why he developed this bar. Jeff Jones Bicycles I am even considering putting this bar on my Santa Cruz Superlight to see what might happen.

A couple key points for me includes the above, and also bike responsiveness due to sitting more up right. I have had a number of near miss crashes that have been saved by a quick tweak of these bars! I feel incredibly centered on the bike and have had no lower back pain as I hear a lot of friends and other riders comment about, especially as we get older.

Thanks for the comments!

2013 Salsa BearGrease
    2010 Surly Cross Chek

Unhinged Aussie on a 29er
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek.Endress View Post
    Words
    I looked in to the Jones bars too. It was a tough call between those and butterfly bars; for snow, I'd rather have the Jones bars too.

I've found that this type of setup makes me sit more on my sit bones; did you do anything to alleviate butt soreness on this rig? (I change my technique a little to stand up off the pedals more but other than that haven't found a seat I like)

weirdo
    DerekE, that`s wild! Good luck with your ride.
    Recalculating....

Recently Returned Rider
    Feb 2008
    Some very inspiring setups in here. Thanks to all the posters. You have inspired me to look into a setup of my own!

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    since the original idea of using large ammo cans has not come to fruition; due to the company never shipping since Dec 26th; I have decided to go a different direction on my Military themed Huffy Scout build; and am going to look into getting a couple MOLLE Sleep System carriers for the side bags, if I can find them locally, they are much larger than the current pannier bags I am using, but the rack for the Huffy Scout is also much longer and sticks out further from the seat compared to the Topeak rack; with a nominal cargo area of 7" wide and 17" long, this should enable me to fit the large bags all the way to the back, and prevent my feet from hitting them
    This also would put weight to the bottom instead of all at the top, and I might be able to reduce the number of bags needed to carry most of the items to just 3 plus canteen covers. one side will hold the sleep system and tent/shelter/tools, the other side will hold the food and most of the clothing, while the front small pack will hold small items the large bags specs are here; what is nice about these bags is that they have compression straps and couple D rings on each of them to use as a bungee point for lashing whatever, or for shoulder straps should I need to put one up tall (if in a bear area or area where large animals are in the woods)
    Given this; they also will make excellent grocery bags for food shopping locally; if I am able to cut down the size of everything down to the pannier bags I already am using, with the exception of the tent/shelter/sleep sack/pad bag
    Size 15" L x 10" H x 8" D
    Volume 1200 cubic inches
    and what they ought to look like; with a 1 quart canteen cover for comparison; a little bigger than the standard 3 day pack/field ruck;

Yukon Rider

trip into Cantlie Lake, a few hours biking from my house door :)

Testing out the packing system on my Bear, including a small pack carrying my Marmot Cwm -40c down bag for a longer trip on the Yukon Quest Trail
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-cantlie-lake-trail.jpg  

2013 Salsa BearGrease
    2010 Surly Cross Chek

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 22 ... LastLast