Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)

674K views 980 replies 423 participants last post by  andrewfelix 
#1 ·
Post your riding rig and gear layouts for all to enjoy!

Descriptions of what you have got going (and how it works for you) are always a plus

#194 ·
S24O bikepacking yesterday. Only about half my gear turned up on time so I had to ad-hoc my way through the rest of it. Worked pretty well. Didn't need cooking gear because there was this really good cafe about 15 mi from the finish. The tent was nice and is reasonably light, but I'll probably buy a smaller tent for just bikepacking (this is the one that my gf and I use when we go car camping - at 5 lbs it's still reasonably light though).

Old inner tube ftw :p. The two straps were enough, but the inner tube was my "spare" strap and came in handy more than once with stabilizing the bike while loading it, or holding it against a pole or tree, etc. Even if I get fancy gear, that's probably going to stay as part of my kit.

FWIW, the frame bag is actually empty; I had some spare tools in there and a camera, but everything I needed for the actual overnight stay was strapped to the handlebars. I also had a backpack that was also mostly empty. I had both in case I felt like the weight distribution wasn't good, so I could move it around if I thought I should.

#200 · (Edited)
#208 ·
Fargo

Hey all,

Just finished my bike for my upcoming tour of the GDMBR. I leave in 5 days. This photo was my first (and only) fully loaded test run before heading to Banff. I have a stock spreadsheet that I use for my backpacking trips and started a similar one for this ride. I'll share the link in case anyone is interested in what I'm bringing and where it's packed.

Alright then...

GDMBR Gear List on Google Docs

Salsa Fargo

More Photos Here

#209 ·
Hey all,

Just finished my bike for my upcoming tour of the GDMBR. I leave in 5 days. This photo was my first (and only) fully loaded test run before heading to Banff. I have a stock spreadsheet that I use for my backpacking trips and started a similar one for this ride. I'll share the link in case anyone is interested in what I'm bringing and where it's packed.

Alright then...

GDMBR Gear List on Google Docs

Salsa Fargo

More Photos Here
Looks sweet man.
Good luck out there.
The leaves are already changing in the high country of Colorado.
How many days are you giving yourself?

Woody

#215 ·
Here's my setup in action:

It's all CDW.....what I have in there:

In the front I have a Phantom 32 down bag, a Mountain Hardware synthetic puffy and a REI minimilist bivy.

In the rear I have Don Miguel burritos (The Bomb-Green Chile & Breakfast Burrito - Bacon), assorted food snacks which I'm not accessing that day, a MSR water filter, sleep clothes (wool beenie, Capeline2 zip-up by Patagonia, boxers), travel tube of chamois butter, travel tube of diaper rash cream)

On my back: WingNut pack containing a 6L MSR dromedry bag, snacks for the day, extra change of batteries(rechargable), multi-tool and all that other crap you normally take on a normal ride (tubes, patch kit, yada yada yada).

I don't carry a sleeping pad...if you ride hard enough....and if you bikepack, you ride hard enough....you don't have trouble sleeping. I can usually find good ground cover to make something soft to sleep on. Only if there is snow on the ground will I go for a sleeping pad.....YMMV

#221 ·
My Lynskey SS setup...
Homemade Handlebar sling:MH 32 deg Phantom, REI Minimalist Bivy, Stoic 1/2 pad, small piece of Tyvek
Homemade Gas tank: ride food
Homemade Top tube bag: all bike fix-it stuff
Seat Bag (Revelate Viscacha): clothes plus a spare tube
Camelbak Octane: 100oz bladder, more food, bathroom stuff, electronics(batts, cables, light), steripen

Attachments