Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Here's my Surly Troll ready for the past weekend's jaunt in Wharton State Forest, NJ. The low was predicted to be 44 and a 0% chance of rain, so I was able to bring just a sleeping bag and a down jacket and a poncho, dispensing with all extra clothes except a hat, gloves and a pair of boxers for off the bike.

So the gear list - rear rack holds my North Face Cat's Meow 20 degree sleeping bag. This thing has served me well, despite its size and weight and that the 20 degrees is certainly a survival rating rather than comfort, as I'm a pretty cold sleeper...

Frame pack (Greg Wheelwright of Boulder made it) holds a water bladder plus food. The small side pocket has my tools and maps. This was the first overnighter with the pack and it handled very nicely!

The handlebar roll is a Revelate Sling/Pocket, containing my pot and stove (Backcountry.com titanium pot, MSR Pocket Rocket stove), down jacket, hammock (Grand Trunk UL Skeeter Beeter), poncho-tarp, and spare clothing. The pocket had room for mad Clif bars, a tree identification booklet, the contents of my pockets, a headlamp, and my camera once the Clif bars were partially eaten.

Then I had to carry my sleeping pad rolled up in a backpack since it's bulky and awkward. NBD, but I do want to invest in an underquilt both for convenience of packing and for comfort - I spent a lot of the night awake with the pad slipping out from under me, which tends to happen in hammocks.

For a longer trip, this particular setup would be rather strained. There's certainly a bit more room in the handlebar roll, but the frame bag was getting close to maxed out (though my packing-tetris skills do need some refining for sure) and in such a trip, I'd have to stash a lot more things in the backpack than I'd like to.

So the next things on my shopping list - top tube bags to hold more food, and fork-mount and downtube-mount bottle cages to beef up the water capacity. Then once I've got a more compact sleeping bag/top quilt, I'll add a saddlebag to replace the rear rack, which will add a bunch of space.

Still, for a mild fall overnighter, this setup worked admirably. The Troll rides nice too, even loaded over very sandy terrain...

Album of photos from the trip: Photo Album - Imgur

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    maybe some panniers? great-looking rig.

weirdo
    Quote Originally Posted by owtdorz View Post
    Tested this weekend and ready for my first BP trip next weekend.
    60+miles over two days
    Have fun!

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    maybe some panniers? great-looking rig.
    Thanks! But the point is not to use panniers or (eventually) even racks!

weirdo
    ...unless you happen to like panniers and racks

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Sure, but that ain't me! It may be a weight weenie thing, but the challenge of managing with just what I can carry rackless is also appealing as is the weight loss and maneuverability gained.

Still I'd have nothing against popping on a rear rack and my Ortliebs (which are great) if necessary, and it would make life easier in a lot of ways, but then singletrack would be a lot more clunky and less fun...everything's a tradeoff though.

ColoradoCoolBreeze
    Quote Originally Posted by jbphilly View Post
    Sure, but that ain't me! It may be a weight weenie thing, but the challenge of managing with just what I can carry rackless is also appealing as is the weight loss and maneuverability gained.

Still I'd have nothing against popping on a rear rack and my Ortliebs (which are great) if necessary, and it would make life easier in a lot of ways, but then singletrack would be a lot more clunky and less fun...everything's a tradeoff though.
    I like your thinking.
    Nothing says a bike has to be setup one way and one way only.
    Based on the trip, rig your ride whether that be panniers or seatbag.

04 Azonic Saber
    08 Yeti AS-x
    12 Rocky Mtn 29er Alt 970

mtbr member
    My "rando-cross" bike packing rig on a dirt road high above Big Sur, California

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-foto-0249.jpg
    Wha daur meddle wi' me?

WTB 29 allmountain wheels
    Nov 2012
    Not sure if this counts because I just wear a backpack for now, but here's camp set up.

Go further...
    Mar 2009

Another setup...

This is my setup for 2-3 week trips. I have and Osprey 18 pack that I put light bulky things in and for extra capacity on food. The weight of the setup with bags, a minimalist cook kit, 30 degree bag, and pad/chair kit with a two person Big Agnus flycreek tent is just under 18 lbs sans food. I can go 4 days between resupplies or food drops. Light enough and comfortable come camp time.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-tahoe-360-101-.jpg  

mtbr member
    thorn nomad expedition tourer ... handbuilt in the uk ... built this up, completed a few tours and sold it as i wasn't using it that much ... the guy that bought it used it for what it was designed to to do ... he rode it through china, the karakoram highway, through a number of countries ending in 'stan ...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-05a_bikesign.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-feb_05_thorn1.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-nomad_loaded.jpg  

"old enough to know better. too old to care."

mtbr member
    I love that Thorn. Nice.

mtbr member
    Nice Thorn. Always had a soft spot for that brand. Just a little shame that they are a little too closed on themselfs on some technical solutions.

I was driving on a secoundary road some days ago and passed a guy on one of those new yellow Thorn Nomads. Really nice sight

Just imagine a fatbike by Thorn...

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    does the thorn have 24" wheels, or is the frame ginormous, or what?

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    What is the brand of the large saddlebag with orange star in post 13? (the two seater bike).
    I did not find the brand in the brand topic. Hopefully some can help me. Thank you.

Edit: Found it, Carousel bags
    Last edited by Roel1977; 12-15-2012 at 05:58 PM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bill in Houston View Post
    does the thorn have 24" wheels, or is the frame ginormous, or what?
    thats just an XL sized frame with 26" wheels ... they did actually come in an XXL size too ...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Nice Thorn. Always had a soft spot for that brand. Just a little shame that they are a little too closed on themselfs on some technical solutions.

I was driving on a secoundary road some days ago and passed a guy on one of those new yellow Thorn Nomads. Really nice sight

Just imagine a fatbike by Thorn...
    at the time i bought this, most of their frames were handmade in the uk ... this one was brazed rather than welded ... the bulk of them are made in taiwan now and they are largely rohloff based ...

gran jefe
    Nov 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by hoogie View Post
    thats just an XL sized frame with 26" wheels ... they did actually come in an XXL size too ...
    wow, it looks huge...

mtbr member
    Dec 2012
    cool selection of setups here, plenty of inspiration!

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by hoogie View Post
    thorn nomad expedition tourer ... handbuilt in the uk ... built this up, completed a few tours and sold it as i wasn't using it that much ... the guy that bought it used it for what it was designed to to do ... he rode it through china, the karakoram highway, through a number of countries ending in 'stan ...
    What kind of panniers are the gray bags in the middle picture?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Owlish View Post
    What kind of panniers are the gray bags in the middle picture?
    they are madden panniers, i also have a matching set of front ones ... i got them in a garage sale in colorado springs in 1998, along with front and rear racks ... not too sure if the brand is still being made

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Thanks for the reply. Yep, looks as though the brand has disappeared.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

My "new setup"

Pictures are not of my complete setup but it shows off my new bike, seatpack bag, and "dashboard"
    My "new bike" is the same frame and fork as my old bike which my wife now has, since we got rid of her old FS 29er so she could get into bikepacking.
    I built up new wheels and used most of the components off her old old bike.
    The one shot of my sleep system is from my Tour Divide race this summer. It is a Tarptent Notch, with a neoair pad and marmot 30 degree down bag.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-2.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-3.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-4.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-5.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-6.jpg  

Post your Bikepacking Rig (and gear layout!)-93.jpg  

mtbr member
    Nice bike.

How do you like the Fenix flashlight bike mount?

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Ze_Zaskar View Post
    Nice bike.

How do you like the Fenix flashlight bike mount?
    I like it. For the Tour Divide I had a funky DIY helmet mount which I did not like. The weight of it bothered my neck believe it or not.
    It adjusts easily side to side and up and down.

On another topic I found an inexpensive cell phone mount at bike Nashbar that looks pretty good. It will mount to your stem.
    Delta Smart Phone Caddy 2

Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 21 ... LastLast